Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FlyMKG
Topic Author

White "Dorms" At LHR?

Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:34 pm

Can anybody tell me what the white buildings in this photo are used for? They seem to be some sort of dorm complex or apartment buildings.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Dan Valentine

FlyMKG

airgeek12

RE: White "Dorms" At LHR?

Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:37 pm

Looks like some kind of temp housing or something.

CrossChecked

Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:11 pm

Just the offices for various companies - none of which are directly associated with British Airways despite their close proximity to the BAM hangars.

I seem the remember there being an air con company in there, a courier company and a heating/plumbing company. Really nothing out of the ordinary.
Cabin crew, doors to manual and cross check.

trekster

Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:30 pm

Yea, as crosschecked said, there is even a car company there, though it looked closed the last time i was at LHR
Where does the time go???

cedarjet

Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:12 pm

From that height those buildings look reasonably modern but up close they're pretty old and tired. Probably wrong about this but I think they actually date from just after WW2. As stated above and backing up my idea about how old and decrepit these buildings are, they're not very desirable - airconditioning company, heating / plumbing company etc sounds about right.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

CrossChecked

Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:19 pm

I know if I worked in the 2-storey one, a little "sun"-deck would have been built on the roof by now. Nice view!!  Smile
Cabin crew, doors to manual and cross check.

Leezyjet

Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:05 am

As has been said, there is nothing special in them, they are all just ancilliary businesses connected to the airport, just small independent companys that probably cannot afford to be in anything better as property rental close to the airport is very expensive.

They have been around for a good 50+ years or so.

I like them - they were probably a really important part of the airport back when it was built and kind of add a little bit of history and nostalga to the place. They are very typical of buildings built around airfields/airbases around the time of WW2

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos