Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

N1120A
Topic Author

Louisiana Getting An RR Engine Testing Facility

Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:20 pm

The news in New Orleans just announced that RR Aerospace will be moving an engine testing facility from the UK to Bay St. Louis, Mississippi. This is, of course, a good potential boost for the economy and a bit more aviation related life down in the swamp.

Edited to note it is Bay St. Louis, Mississippi

[Edited 2005-02-16 05:34:46]
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

MSYtristar

RE: Louisiana Getting An RR Engine Testing Facility

Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:27 pm

N1120a, Bay St. Louis is in Mississippi. It's only about 55 miles away from New Orleans, though. Good news for the area as a whole though.

DfwRevolution

RE: Louisiana Getting An RR Engine Testing Facilit

Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:28 pm

With one of the most loyal Rolls Royce customers (ever) near-by, I'm suprised they didn't choose Fort Worth, where AA does Trent 800/RB211 overhauls. What better place to do research than in conjunction with the people opperating the engine in real-life conditions?

AA even pionerred a Trent 800 overhaul technique that is now becoming quite common.

Then again, doesn't NASA do engine testing at a space center near-by? Maybe this was cost-advantageous if there was available infastructure in place.

[Edited 2005-02-16 05:33:31]
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

N1120A
Topic Author

Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:33 pm

>Bay St. Louis is in Mississippi. It's only about 55 miles away from New Orleans, though. Good news for the area as a whole though. <

My bad. Why would WWL report it?

MSYtristar

Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:37 pm

WWL news is broadcast in the Bay St.Louis area, as the city has residents which commute into New Orleans for work.

NASA's John C. Stennis Space Center is pretty much in between New Orleans and Bay St. Louis. They do shuttle engine testing there. Seems like a good place to test RR engines.

N1120A
Topic Author

Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:38 pm

>Then again, doesn't NASA do engine testing at a space center near-by? Maybe this was cost-advantageous if there was available infastructure in place.<

Absolutely, they are actually building it on the grounds of the Stennis Center.

roseflyer

Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:39 pm

I find it interesting that it will be in Louisiana rather than Indianapolis where most of the Aerospace division is headquartered for Rolls Royce in the USA or to Oakland where they do a lot of overhaul work. Being close to Corporate Designs (Indianapolis) or Engine Services (Oakland) would make more sense as they already to aerospace engines there.

The only site near Bay St. Louis is Pascagoula where they do marine engine work. Are we sure that this is Rolls Royce aviation rather then the larger marine division? The marine division has a number of facilities including Seattle and Houston. However overall it is good to see Rolls Royce expanding in the United States. I had an onsite tour through two of their Indianapolis plants last year and was quite impressed by their operations.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

DfwRevolution

Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:45 pm

Absolutely, they are actually building it on the grounds of the Stennis Center.

Ahh... makes perfect sense.
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

N1120A
Topic Author

Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:47 pm

>Are we sure that this is Rolls Royce aviation rather then the larger marine division?<

It is Aerospace, and they are going to be on the grounds of an existing NASA test center

PM

Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:03 pm

Check the RR website for details There will be redundancies at Hucknall where outdoor tests are currently conducted.

tepidhalibut

Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:43 am

>I find it interesting that it will be in Louisiana rather than Indianapolis where
>most of the Aerospace division is headquartered for Rolls Royce in the USA

I would expect that the area around Indy would have the same problems as RR Hucknall. People. The main role of RR Hucknall was/is noise testing, and the encroachment of housing lead to increasing levels of noise complaints. (People moving next door to an outdoor test bed : what did they expect?)

I don't know the USA very well, but I suspect there's the same risk near Indy.

Stennis, however, appears to be in the middle of a swamp, wher there are regular Space Shuttle engine tests. I can't image there would be any noise complaints from the (deaf) alligators.

Texas would also seem a possibility being full of nothing but dust and sand, but have you seen what dust and sand does to jet engines ?

LV

Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:56 am

As far as Indianapolis, because of the amount of land needed due to noise issues I would think the closest place you can do it is at Grissom Air Reserve Base and that is a good 1.5-2 hours from Indy....plus sounds like the infrastructure is already in place in Mississippi.

roseflyer

Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:39 am

Ok this makes a lot of sense now. Thanks for the information guys. The Indy facility is surrounded by other businesses that wouldn't really support a loud engine testing facility. All the tests done in Indy are done inside and monitored strickly, but these are primarily used for development of the Joint Strike Fighter lift fan assembly which is still very experimental.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

LY4XELD

Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:48 am

Quoting RoseFlyer (reply 12):
All the tests done in Indy are done inside and monitored strickly, but these are primarily used for development of the Joint Strike Fighter lift fan assembly which is still very experimental.

I wouldn't say experimental...being developed, yes.

Quoting DfwRevolution (reply 2):
With one of the most loyal Rolls Royce customers (ever) near-by, I'm suprised they didn't choose Fort Worth, where AA does Trent 800/RB211 overhauls. What better place to do research than in conjunction with the people opperating the engine in real-life conditions?

AA even pionerred a Trent 800 overhaul technique that is now becoming quite common.

Are we sure this is a commercial engine program test?

JetSaurus

Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:08 am

I'm a resident of the area and this was big news last night and todays paper. Both the Trent 900 and 1000 are planned for testing at the site in late 2007. A $42million investment!

Links for local news:
http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/10909973.htm
http://www.wlox.com/Global/story.asp?S=2952519
Jack/GPT