Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

777ER
Head Moderator
Topic Author

Matches Banned On US Bound Flights

Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:51 pm

SMOKERS dying to light up at the end of a long flight may soon find themselves in serious trouble if they take matches or a cigarette lighter on board US- bound aircraft Qantas has been told by US authorities that lighters and matches have been added to the prohibited articles list and screeners must start confiscating them before embarkation from the end of next month.
"I got a notice ... saying that we've got to take book matches off every passenger going to the United States," said Qantas group head of security Geoff Askew. "I'm not sure how we're going to do that." The issue underscores the problems facing airlines because of the failure of governments to standardise global security regimes.

http://www.ozflight.com.au/
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR

Spike

RE: Matches Banned On US Bound Flights

Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:54 pm

More nanny state shite. What next, banning men from wearing ties incase you decide to stangle the captain?

ANCFlyer

Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:59 pm

It's a crock of shit. Thank you Richard Reid.

More overzealous paranoia.

I'm a non-smoker, but I still have to laugh at the consistently idiotic, moronic ideas the TSA comes up with to totally inconvenience the traveling public. Simply stupid.

Can't bring that knitting needly granny (I know they're okay now) but, you, the big guy there, that huge fountain pen you can bring that. Want me to show you a half dozen ways to disable someone with a pen?

I suppose they'll continue to get away with secondary screening on little old ladies and someone's 3 year old . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

aaflt1871

Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:28 pm

Where did everybody go?

lightsaber

Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:25 pm

Silly rule... Oh, not a big deal, just silly. This is a committee reaction to the shoe bomber. I think x-raying shoes is enough. I can't stand how much money the TSA wastes. If that were going to air fares...

Lightsaber.
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

qqflyboy

Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:37 pm

Wait a minute... the TSA has NOT acted on this yet. They had a February 15 deadline, but failed to enact the ban. Therefore, matches and lighters are still permitted onboard US flights. The only thing prohibited are "light anywhere" matches, which have been banned for some time.

The following link will take you to CNN where you can read about why there has been some confusion with this matter and where the decision making process stands.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TRAVEL/02/15/airlines.lighter.ban/
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

jasepl

Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:42 pm

Quoting Lightsaber (reply 4):
This is a committee reaction to the shoe bomber

Surely that can't be it? They took their time reacting, didn't they?

copter808

Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:15 pm

Hey, I just thought of a way to simplify all this security stuff.

Let's just ban PEOPLE from aircraft. No need to try and remember what is allowed and what is not allowed--just ban people (and what they carry)!

If this gets any more crazy, we won't have to ban people--they will have decided not to fly on their own.

ANCFlyer

Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:35 pm

Quoting QQflyboy (reply 5):
Wait a minute... the TSA has NOT acted on this yet. They had a February 15 deadline, but failed to enact the ban. Therefore, matches and lighters are still permitted onboard US flights.

I believe I read it here where the "confusion" is now over . . . and the ban will go in to effect. Perhaps it was AOL news (which requires log-in). Regardless, I'm sure it's set to go in about a month. Doesn't matter, it's still absolutely adburd.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/...005-02-15-lighters-on-planes_x.htm

Quoting Copter808 (reply 7):
If this gets any more crazy, we won't have to ban people--they will have decided not to fly on their own.

Spot on Copter808. It's ridiculous. Any other countries ban lighters and matches on their air carrier?

If by some miracle the TSA decides NOT to do this it will be the FIRST intelligent thing they've done since inception.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

mdsh00

Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:18 pm

Even as a non-smoker, I too think this is stupid, but I believe smoking in a huge number of airports around the US is prohibited. Either smokers could get the patch for the flight or buy a lighter at the gift shop when they arrive.

teva

Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:53 pm

Very clever...
Be ready for more air rage incidents !!!
Patches won't solve all the problems.
Some people need some help to relax before flying. Not everybody is like us, flying for pleasure. some fly because they have to.
What are they going to do? take some pills and a couple of drinks, the worst cocktail you can imagine.
But maybe I shouldn't worry that much..Your armed pilots will shoot them. Next proposal: transform directly the seats in, electric chairs....
Teva
Disclaimer for those who don't know me, this post is satirical.Read between the lines
Ecoute les orgues, Elles jouent pour toi...C'est le requiem pour un con

Spike

Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:01 pm

Why 'matches that light anywhere' (Swan Vestas?) being banned. Any match in a box will light anywhere. Is a Zippo with Petrol banned rather than a bic non-refillable lighter? Who is making up these freeking stupid rules?

ushermittwoch

Matches

Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:14 pm

I wonder how they will detect these matches.
I highly doubt that they will set off the detectors at the airport and thus a pax could "conceal" a box of matches. But that's probably going to be a federal offense, punishable with 80 years in the slammer.
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

mrniji

Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:20 pm

I actually think this is a good move, here in India they always take them away from you.. I mean, if someone has some petrolium in a drinking bottle, along with matches, this could be a great catastrophy.. wasn't there a guy to light his shoes or so sometime?
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

iadguy73

Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:50 am

If you would read the CNN article, it tells you that the ban is mandated by the new intelligence reform bill passed by congress and signed by you know who. TSA does not come up with this stuff, it only enforces and carries out what is mandated by Congress. If you want to change how TSA does business, write or call your congressman/woman and vent your frustration to them or to DHS/TSA policy makers. They can change security and screening procedures. Screeners on the checkpoints cannot. It's like blaming the ticket agent at the airport for being bumped from the flight because the airline overbooked it.  Nuts And I agree with many of you that some of the procedures/policies don't make much sense. Unfortunately 9/11 installed fear and paranoia into our lives and government policies. It's a fact of life now. Get over it and move on because it will take a long-long time before it will get better.

Russophile

Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:03 pm

Qantas has been told by US authorities that lighters and matches have been added to the prohibited articles list and screeners must start confiscating them before embarkation from the end of next month.

The US authorities can tell QANTAS all they want, but the fact of the matter is, these US authorities have absolutely ZERO authority nor right to demand anything of a company which is not US-based or in US-territory.

What's next? The Christian Right in the US bullshitting a bill thru Congress banning all Playboys or other 'immoral' literature from being taken on board the aircraft? Don't fool yourself, it could happen people, and before you know it, you will not be able to carry articles which are legal in your own country in your own country.

What QANTAS and Australian authorities decide to do when aircraft are under Australian or international juridstiction is of no concern to the US. Once that aircraft is in US airspace or US territory is a different matter entirely though.

Welcome to America. How may we fuck you today?

[Edited 2005-02-18 04:15:50]

777ER
Head Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:33 pm

Quoting Ushermittwoch (reply 12):
I wonder how they will detect these matches.

Unless the x-ray machines can pick them up, which is highly unlikly, well all bags might be hand searched
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR

TrappedinMKG

Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:36 pm

First of all, this is probably out of character for me to say, but I'm getting EXTREMELY sick and tired of all the America-bashing on this website. You may not like some of the arcane rules our TSA makes up (and what makes you think we like them any better than you do?), but to openly bash America and Americans in a public forum like this is just ridiculous and accomplishes absolutely nothing. Worse, it's hurtful to those of us who don't work for the TSA/federal government and have NOTHING to do with any of the problems you're experiencing.

Second of all, easy fix to the lighter/matches problem: When you surrender your matches/lighter to TSA at your origin airport, you should get a little sticker to put on your ticket stub. Then, on the other end as you're leaving your destination airport, you can grab a lighter/matchbook out of the tub of lighters/matches they took from outgoing passengers. All it would take is a few bucks worth of stickers.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos