Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

United777
Topic Author

Has Seattle Forgotten About Boeing?

Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:53 pm

Living in Seattle since 1990 I feel like I've grown up with Boeing. My dad worked for them for 35 years, I've met alot of his friends that worked with him. It seems like Seattle (economy) started with Boeing, Seattle's only company at one point was Boeing. Everything was just Boeing.

Do you guys get the feeling Seattle has forgotten about it's Boeing history and heritage? I remeber when the 777 first rolled out. All three of the main news stations did pretty much 24 hour nonstop covearge of the event and the first flight was no different. I remember it being on live TV. I mean the event was huge and it seemed like all of Seattle was celebrating. I remember being at the first flight. There more people around PAE feild than at SEA it seemed like.

Did you guys notice when the 772LR was rolled out yesterday it got NO news coverage at all. Yea it's just another model of the 777 but it's the world's longest range aircraft. There was no mention of the event in the newspapers except little articles. The NBC station did maybe a one minute clip of the roll-out.

Anybody else get the same feeling I am? Seattle has grown over the last 15 years but I think it's forgotten about the company that first put it on the world map.

[Edited 2005-02-17 08:55:20]

[Edited 2005-02-17 09:03:41]

searpqx

RE: Has Seattle Forgotten About Boeing?

Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:10 pm

I don't think Seattle has forgotten about Boeing so much as realized that there is more to existence than Boeing. Boeing and Seattle will always be linked, but the move of Boeing Corp to Chicago was a cold dose of reality to the city. To many people, myself included, it marked a change from Boeing being THE Seattle company to Boeing being a key, but not exclusive, asset to Seattle.

But the main reason I think, is that beyond a limited number of enthusiasts, a derivative of the 777 is no more interesting news to them than another Starbuck's opening. Remember, even back in Boeing's heyday in the early 90s, the rollout of the new derivatives of the 737 (600,700,800,900) and 757 (300) didn't really make much news. There is still a splash in the papers and on the evening news when Boeing wins/loses a major order, and I have no doubt that there will be major hoopla over the rollout of the 787.

leelaw

Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:26 pm

These days Microsoft, Starbucks, Nordstrom, Costco etc., seem to be as closely, or even more closely associated with the greater Seattle (Puget Sound) area than Boeing. I recently saw William & Jill Ruckelshaus, a well known Seattle based "power couple", interviewed at length on C-Span. When Brian Lamb asked them to identify leading businesses in the Puget Sound area there was no mention of Boeing. I was stunned. Perhaps Boeing's decision to move it's World Headquarters to Chicago has something to do with this lack of identification and overall enthusiasm?

ANCFlyer

Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:37 pm

Quoting United777 (reply 0):
Do you guys get the feeling Seattle has forgotten about it's Boeing history and heritage?

I think it's quite the other way around . . . .

Boeing blew off Seattle in 1990 . ..

DLKAPA

Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:42 pm

Like has been said, this aircraft is just a derivitive. to the common person, it's not all hot-shit. When the 787 comes out, you'll see the hooplah. The 787 is a new plane (it'll always be 7E7 to me!), so alot of the general public will take interest. who knows, it might even draw more to the hobby!

SLC1

Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:22 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (reply 3):
I think it's quite the other way around . . . .

Boeing blew off Seattle in 1990 . ..

I must agree.

Quoting United777 (reply 0):
Did you guys notice when the 772LR was rolled out yesterday it got NO news coverage at all.

I must disagree, I saw quite the news coverage yesterday morning and evening on the 772LR rollout, probably would be today if it weren't for the fact that I haven't watched tv today.

roseflyer

Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:37 am

I agree that Seattle has lost its love for Boeing. I grew up there and remember how great it was. However Boeing cut its work force in Seattle by 75%. They went from employing 200,000 to 50,000 in just a few years. There was a lot of distaste left in people's mouths.

Fortunately Microsoft was wildely hiring during those years, and made it so unemployment didn't rise too much in the city. Microsoft has become the great company in Seattle. They are the ones known for charity work, good salaries and good employee relations. Starbucks has also climaxed in recent years too. The love for Boeing went away as Boeing restructured in the late 90s.

I was at the 777 first flight too on June 6 1994 up at Paine Field with my dad. It was a cool blustry day, but the cheers were amazing when the beautiful bird made it into the sky. I doubt the same reception will be held for the 787, but that is just my personal opinion. Seattle still is a Boeing city, but people have lost some of the affinity that the company had earned in the city since WWII.

DAYflyer

Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:48 am

There is this other little company in Seattle called Microsoft now......perhaps you have heard of it? Then there is this other town Boeing left Seattle for called Chicago. That may have something to do with the lack of Boeing enthusiasm.

[Edited 2005-02-17 18:51:02]

MidnightMike

Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:00 am

As far as the non-aviator, it was no big deal, an airplane is an airplane. Now, when the 787 roll-out, that will be covered with more enthusiasm.

citationjet

Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:10 am

MidnightMike,
You may want to spell check your signature.....strp bar?

mham001

Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:18 am

For a little perspective, growing up in Seattle during the 60s and 70s, as a son of a Boeing bum, I don't recall a lot of TV coverage for the plane rollouts. Could be the coverage you saw was over-saturation?
But you are correct, Seattle is no longer a company town. The Chicago move was the final nail in that coffin. There is no way local towns would have been bidding for Airbus lines 20 years ago.

MidnightMike

Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:19 am

CitationJet

Thanks for that, I never noticed that before.

legendDC9

Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:37 am

Isn't Boeing based out of Chicago when Phil Condit pulled them out in the late 90's? Just because the plants are there shouldn't make it a cause for any celebration. The company moved and it's relationship with the Seattle area employment scene has deteriorated since. Apologize in advance for the comparison, but I don't see the sweat shops in Bangladesh celebrating every time Nike comes out with a new product they end up putting together...

Airportgal

Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:58 am

United777.... if you've lived in Seattle area since 1990, you would not have seen the billboard "Would the last one leaving Seattle, please turn out the lights." That was a result of the mass layoff's... and the mass exodus from the Puget Sound.

Thus, the attempt at diversifying the economy... not prudent to rely on one industry. If you consider the other big companies in Seattle area (Microsoft, Starbucks, etc.) and the new products they introduce, Boeing got a fair share of air-time on Tuesday.

StevenUhl777

Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:06 pm

I live 2 miles south of PAE, and have lived in the SEA area since May '96. I think that as the Puget Sound economy has diversified out beyond Boeing, the media and the people have become less glued to the daily events at Boeing. Plus, the drawn out, highly publicized move of the corporate HQ office was really a slap in the face to the Seattle area....and to a lot of people, there is no love lost over that move.

There was a big campaign about landing the 7E7 and which state would get the jobs. In the past, it was a given it would be build at either Renton or PAE, but again...the fact that Boeing was willing to take the jobs elsewhere and was begging for tax breaks also didn't sit well. A $3.2billion tax break...wow.

Boeing7E7

Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:02 pm

Quoting StevenUhl777 (reply 14):
Plus, the drawn out, highly publicized move of the corporate HQ office was really a slap in the face to the Seattle area....and to a lot of people, there is no love lost over that move.

I understand why people viewed it as a slap in the face, but they brought it on themselves with politics run amuck which is why Boeing moved to a better environment. Same reason Douglas had problems in CA, and a reason they where eventually bought. You don't make it impossible for a corporation to operate in your state. It's simply foolish. The blame is not on Boeing, it's on local and state politicians that were squeezing the life out of Boeing.

ckfred

Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:17 pm

Look at it this way. I live in the Chicago area, and there was no coverage whatsoever on any of the Chicago stations. In fact, there is virtually no coverage of Boeing news here, except for the newspapers. Nothing about rollouts, orders, or problems with the Defense Department.

On the other hand, Jimmy Dean suing Sara Lee over his endorsement agreement made news, and there was non-stop coverage when Fannie Mae candy went out of business, so I get the feeling that Boeing isn't considered a Chicago company, because it doesn't make anything in Chicago.

flybynight

Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:04 pm

Don't forget about the state of Washington taking Boeing for granted, I've brought this point up in various threads. When Boeing was getting ready build the 777, the state forced Boeing to build new roads (from Mukilteo Speedway to the main plant) and even build affordable housing.
Boeing needs to every advantage to compete right now, having to subsidize the state didn't help.

Having said that, I think Boeing is as alive as ever in this state. Remember all the commotion when the 787 was potentially being built elsewhere. The state ended up giving millions in tax breaks. So, I'd say Boeing is stilll a big part of Seattle.
But Seattle was a city before Boeing. United777 - I suggest taking the underground tour that starts in Pioneer Square. You'll learn about toilets, and Seattle's early days. Don't forget fishing and logging are some of the huge traditional ties to Seattle's economy, not to mention tourism in the beautiful Pacific NW.

Channel 4's (ABC) website has a daily link to Boeing news. Interestingly enough, one of the local reporter was talking about the range of the new 772ER. She mentioned imagine being able to fly no-stop between Seattle and London for the first time!! I had to e-mail her and correct her on that!

milski

Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:45 pm

Quoting Flybynight (reply 17):

Quoting Flybynight (reply 17):
But Seattle was a city before Boeing. United777 - I suggest taking the underground tour that starts in Pioneer Square. You'll learn about toilets, and Seattle's early days. Don't forget fishing and logging are some of the huge traditional ties to Seattle's economy, not to mention tourism in the beautiful Pacific NW.

Just so that you know - the tour is no longer available.  Sad

707lvr

Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:49 pm

It wasn't that long ago that the local stations all had aerospace reporters and didn't make airplane mistakes. Over a million people have moved to the area in the past 20 years or so and have no feeling for Boeing at all. Even a billion-dollar sale likely won't make the front page. The situation is complicated, as evidenced by the viewpoints already expressed. Of the people who have been here a long time, probably half are bitter for life. I talked to a current long-term employee just today, and he related all the current scuttlebutt. He has no clue why the company is running away from the employees and Seattle as hard as it can. (Although Boeing has no actual presence in "Seattle," never has and never will. Ditto just about every other major company except Amazon.) Rumors on the line are more fantastic and apocalyptic than ever. P.S. Don't forget urinal cakes, Flybynight  Smile

flybynight

Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:57 am

Milski - Really, the tour is gone? I just took it last fall when my brother in-law was in town. That's a shame.

707lvr - Didn't Boeing actually start in Seattle? The orginial red building is now part of the Museum of Flight in South Seattle.

Having several other large companies start in Seattle after Boeing has made Boeing news less dominant. For the Seattle economy this is a good thing. Having Microsoft Group Health, SAFECO, Costco, several dot.com'
s (still!), Amazon,com, and Starbucks takes away having all your eggs in one basket

solnabo

Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:20 am

Sorry, but whats Nordstrom? Sound swedish to me,(my mothers maiden name)

Thx Big grin

Micke//SE

USAIRWAYS321

Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:49 am

Nordstrom is an excellent department store chain in the Pacific Northwest, headquartered in Seattle. It was indeed founded by a Swedish immigrant (John W. Nordstrom) around the turn of the century as a shoe store and has grown from there.

KaiGywer

Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:10 pm

We even have a Nordstroms in MSP  Big grin Lots of Swedes in this area  Big grin

flyabunch

Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:24 pm

UPS started in Seattle too.

Mike

N317AS

Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:44 pm

707lvr

"Although Boeing has no actual presence in "Seattle," never has and never will"

What the heck does that mean. Boeing started in Seattle, the military and the commercial sides of the house still have a presence in Seattle (yes, not Renton or Everett, but Seattle) and all the narrow bodies and a few wide bodies are delivered from BFI, which before the last earthquake and the last time I was there (yesterday) was in, you guessed it, Seattle. WTF???

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos