Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Orion737
Topic Author

Americans And Their Carry On Luggage!

Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:59 am

I could not believe how much luggage American passengers take into the cabin on domestic flights. Giant suitcases, trolley bags weighing more than golf carts, garment bags and huge vanity cases.

They just wouldnt get away with it in Europe. Why are US carriers allowing passengers to take so much stuff into the aircraft cabin, surely these huge bags should be placed in the hold.

Tango-Bravo

RE: Americans And Their Carry On Luggage!

Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:06 am

If allowed to, Americans would indeed carry on everything imaginable -- including the proverbial kitchen sink. It is almost as though some think they need to set up a household (in very cramped quarters) away from home in the aircraft cabin on their relatively short domestic flights.

mtnmanmakalu

Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:08 am

I totally agree with you, Orion737-
I am truly AMAZED watching the crap that people carry on and think that they need to have at their side while they fly!!! Just like the obesity problem in the USA, bag obesity is getting out of hand too!!! I commute to base to work, fly 5-6 day trips, and get along with a roller bag and a tote while carrying EVERYTHING I need, including uniform pieces and FAA required items.... One day, somebody in the US will stop the madness!!!

mtnman  Big grin
I do, I don't, whatever.......

ScottB

Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:10 am

Well, the next time you have to wait an hour for your luggage on a one-hour flight, ask yourself why passengers try to avoid checking luggage. Or the next time the airline loses or damages your bag. Or the next time your bag is left off the plane due to weight restrictions.

The European carriers wouldn't get away with their luggage charges in this country, either.

KLMA330

Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:10 am

I think it's people's inability to wait at the luggage carousels after the flight.

ERJ170

Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:12 am

Sometimes there are just things you need during a flight! You can't leave some stuff at home.. and you don't trust some stuff to go under the belly.. I had a friend who had some stuff stolen out of his bag in PHL on a connecting flight..

Although, I have to say.. the most you will see Americans bring on board a flight is their small pullman and a big ass shopping bag (just to show off where they been shopping)..

Quoting Orion737 (reply 0):
Giant suitcases, trolley bags weighing more than golf carts, garment bags and huge vanity cases.

This kinda stuff, even Americans knows they are being assinine about if they attempt to bring it on board.. Personally, I wish FA would go ahead and embarass them, get Ghetto with it, whip out that attitude, and make them take it right off the a/c.. that would be funny.. sort of Soul Plane-esque..
Aiming High and going far..

pilotaydin

Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:16 am

well certain flights to and from Germany/turkey aren't any better....
they bring plastic bags and dirty rags and crap that pisses me off, really makes me feel like we're a flying village sometimes, and they bring a ton of stuff too over here....

it seems normal with the american culture though, things there are BIG....have you ever gotten a salad at the cheesecake factory? yeah...the bowl is the diameter of a cessna wheel...
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

JMV

Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:17 am

Orion737,

Not only do my fellow Americans carry on all that crap, we complain about:

1) the long lines at security checks - as the TSA runs all those bags through their X-ray machines,
2) how long it takes to board an aircraft - waiting on all the folks to figure out how they are going to wedge their steamer trunk into the overhead compartments,
3) being thumped on the head by someone else trying to remove their steamer trunk from the overhead during the flight or upon landing, and
4) how long it takes to get off the plane because we have to wait for people to figure out how to extract their steamer trunk from the overhead compartments.

To add to the list, I get peeved when someone puts both a carry-on bag AND their briefcase in the overhead bin, when space is limited, forcing me, who always checks my luggage, to place my briefcase under the seat in front of me.

As for waiting for luggage, my last flight back to DTW, the luggage beat me to the carousel - and I had taken the NW tram from the gate to the terminal.

[Edited 2005-02-18 22:21:57]
Google begins where my brain ends! ©

ERJ170

Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:20 am

Quoting Pilotaydin (reply 6):
it seems normal with the american culture though, things there are BIG....have you ever gotten a salad at the cheesecake factory? yeah...the bowl is the diameter of a cessna wheel...

OMG!!!!!! That is too funny!!! It is for real though.. Americans throw down on food compared to other places.. What people in France consider a meal is considered an appetizer here in the States. A good example of getting a big meal is at Nexxt Cafe in South Beach, Miami, Fl. Next time anyone is in South Beach, you have to go to Nexxt Cafe and get the Jambalaya, or the Salad, or the Pizza, or a meal.. oh hell, even the drinks are huge!!!

deltairlines

Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:20 am

I bring my rollaboard and my briefcase on board every flight with me where I have to stay more than a night (I have a smaller duffel that gets me by for a night, and a daytrip means I only need my briefcase). I try to avoid checking my luggage, as it's in my control at all times...I don't need to get to the airport earlier to check it, I don't risk the TSA opening it without me there (at least if they choose to open it at the checkpoint I'll be there watching it), there is no chance the airlines will lose/temporarily misplace it, and I don't have to wait at baggage claim for it.

Are there times I have to check my luggage - yes, maybe once or twice a year, in which I have an extremely long layover (such as in May, when I will start my day in Greensboro, fly to Orlando for the day, and end up in Manchester, NH) - instead of lugging my rollaboard around Central Florida, I'm going to have them check it through to MHT, and then just carry my briefcase on board (plus, I'll be too tired to lug it around all day, since I'll have done a day trip to New Orleans the day before and will be getting a total of 1 hour sleep in my own bed that night). But, 99% of the time it's more convinient for me to carry on everything, and that's what I do (it doesn't hurt that I never have to hunt day overhead space due to elite pre-boarding, so that's another incentive, I can make sure that the bag is right above my seat).

Jeff

mtnmanmakalu

Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:21 am

What about PAX thinking that the over-head bib above their seat is "theirs"... It cracks me up!!! It goes wherever it will fit- first come-first served... Just don't put it in 1st or business unless you are sitting there, or instructed by an F/A...

mtnman
I do, I don't, whatever.......

ssides

Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:34 am

There are several reasons why Americans use more carry-on luggage. Some are legitimate, some aren't.

BAD REASONS:

Americans can often be very self-centered, and think the rules don't apply to them (although I've noticed this behavior among some uppity Europeans as well). They think they have to have everything with them in order to be constantly entertained.

Americans are also sometimes very possessive and materialistic. They want to ensure they have everything with them and show it off.

In addition, Americans can be very reluctant to entrust others with their possessions. This leads to a clingy attitude with carry-ons.

GOOD REASONS:

Time is money to Americans -- much more so than Europeans. When you're commuting on a DAL-HOU run 3 days a week, the last thing you want to do is wait for bags. You want to get off the plane and head home or to the office as quickly as possible. If you're in this situation, the extra 15-20-60 minutes waiting for bags adds up when you fly three times a week.

Connecting flights are also much more common in the US than in other places. This increases the likelihood that bags will be lost, hence gives people more reason to carry on.

Furthermore, Americans generally don't have much of a problem lugging their own crap around. Every time I go to Europe, I am amazed at how many people are so "lazy" when it comes to carrying luggage. People with only two small suitcases will use a giant trolley just to get around LHR! In the US, that same person wouldn't think twice about rolling two roll-aboards around DFW.

Another factor to consider: many people with carry-ons probably also checked two bags. Due to standards of living and cultural differences, Americans generally have more clothes, possessions, etc. than Europeans, and are more likely to carry these things around. Hence, the increase in carry-on baggage.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

pilotaydin

Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:36 am

haha yeah, those are all good points listed above, maybe the 787 will have a larger consideration for carry on items  Smile

what i love is how there are multiple signs and even 3D mock ups of the overhead bins' capacity, at the check in areas and at the gates...yet ppl still get to the plane with a crate, lol and then they act all pissed off when they are told to check it  Smile

adrianw

Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:30 am

I think it depends on what airport someone is flying into. For example if you are on a flight to an airport you know has terrible baggage service, they you will try to not check anything at all, which could end up saving you 20 to 60 mins or more occasionally. I fly BOS-IAD and BOS-BWI and BOS-DCA a lot and sometimes check and sometime carry as much as possible, but out of the last 10 times I checked I would say I had to wait a very long time 5/10 of the times. Another thing is airlines do lose luggage occasionally which is no new news to anyone in this forum. The idea is who really wants to have there luggage lost on a flight that's 50 mins long. I think baggage is more carefully handled on Intl flight than on domestic, especially regional domestic. I mean I definitely agree that there is a certain point where it is just too much, but I would say myself that bring on a laptop, suitcase, and small travel case would be OK. On intl flights I always check everything but essentials to maximize space unless flying on business or first where there is room enough for everything you could possible bring.
Best,
WLA

jetblueatjfk

Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:34 am

I like to carry my luggage on because there is a chance they loose it and that is a pain, plus waiting at the baggage claim is annoying. I also love when people bring on things that they know won't fit. Once I was on a NK FLt from LGA-DTW and some guy spent a long time trying to get his bag in and it wouldn't go, so after the FA said to him a million time that she will have to check it, he just kept jamming it in and finally it went in. BUT, when we got their, well we will say thank god I was one row ahead of them and I was the last one off the plane for at least 1-2 minutes. lol

jetBlueAtJFK

NIKV69

Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:52 am

ScottB and the rest of you people who don't want to wait at baggage claim. GROW UP!

Every airline I have flown has handled baggage perfectly, sure some bags get lost or damaged but it a very small percentage. The fact that a lot of stupid pax bring too much and way to large carry ons on board is a joke in this country. The airlines should give FAs more power to stop this. I was on a flight from DEN-LGA last year and some woman was carrying on 2 huge suitcases that I voiced my displeasure at, she didn't like it but to my surprise I wasn't alone. It's bullshit. CHECK YOUR LUGGAGE! Get a life and stop using these lame excuses, give the FAs and your fellow pax a break.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

Orion737
Topic Author

Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:54 am

In Europe, particularly on UK airlines, cabin baggage is strictly limited to one small piece per passenger and is enforced at check-in where staff often weigh cabin baggage to check it isnt too heavy.

Sure we all would like to carry all our luggage with us on the plane but it is not feasible and is dangerous in the event of a cabin evacuation where no one can get out because of all the ridiculouly large bags.

Americans wouldnt get away with it over here.

FedExMEM

Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:10 am

"Every airline I have flown has handled baggage perfectly"

I take it you haven't flown on US Airways recently. I had to wait for a week and a half to get my lost luggage back last December. I have had my luggage misplaced by NW and FL as well. Each occurence was on a connecting flight, with the exception of the NW flight. To make a long story short, if I can contain my luggage to a SMALL suitcase, you are damn right I am going to bring it on board. It is of course a different story if I am traveling on a long vacation with large bags. The issue is not as cut and dry as a statement such as grow up and check your bags. You have been lucky if all of your luggage experiences have been good ones.

ScottB

Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:11 am

Quoting NIKV69 (reply 15):
Every airline I have flown has handled baggage perfectly

Well, tell that to my parents who on two separate trips on Continental to Latin America had to wait several days for their luggage to show up. Warning to all passengers on Continental to LatAm -- DO NOT check your bags; checked luggage has lower priority than cargo on CO.

The last time I checked baggage to PBI, I waited at baggage claim for 70 minutes (at 11 PM, no less) and watched the endless stream of golf bags go by. My bag was one of the last off the belt. My time is valuable.

Perhaps you will eventually grow up and learn that an extra three hours of waiting for luggage per week for frequent travelers is a significant burden that most would prefer to avoid. And THOSE of you who are cabin crew should all volunteer to check your own luggage as well since they pose as much of a threat in the event of an evacuation as passenger bags. I mean, waiting at the bag claim can't be any more annoying for you than it is for your customers.

ozglobal

Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:50 am

Another factor to consider: many people with carry-ons probably also checked two bags. Due to standards of living and cultural differences, Americans generally have more clothes, possessions, etc. than Europeans, and are more likely to carry these things around. Hence, the increase in carry-on baggage. Ssides

I agree with the rest of your reasoning, but Europe (particularly western E.) is not greatly different in standard of living from the US, it's more the "cultural values" you mention that make the difference. People value quality (having a few 'nice' things) more than quantity (LOTS of stuff), plus in high density, ancient European cities space is at a premium: streets, appartments, etc are all built on a human scale rather than to a scale determined by automobile accessibility, as they are in the 'new world' (US, Australia, Canada, etc). Hence, people are accustomed to traveling and living 'lighter'.

(The fact that cabin baggage is strictly controlled at check-in helps of course).

Ozglobal
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

zrs70

Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:59 am

Let's not get on a high horse lumping Americans in a catch all category. In the states, if you fly during business hours on flights with business people, you will see fewer carry ons. If you fly to FL or HA, you will see larger carry ons.

Same in Europe. If you fly LHR-CDG, there is less cabin baggage. But if you fly the to Canaries, there is more.
21 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2021

srbmod

Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:05 am

The reason I carry a carryon bag is just in case my checked bag goes missing, I'm not without any clothes or essentials. While I know the chances of my bag not making it to my destination are slim (especially since I normally are on nonstop or direct flights), but I'd rather be safe than sorry. When I bought my carryon bag, I didn't go out and get one that barely fits the size guidelines, I went a little bit under for wiggle room. I used to work on the ramp, I know what goes on in the bins, in the bag rooms, and in the transfer points. Rampers pilfer, tear off bag tags, purposely forget to go pick up backs from the bag room, drop bags off at the wrong gate, stuff happens. I don't try to stuff 5 days worth of clothes in a carry that can handle 2 days max.

And you can't generalize it as a strictly American thing. I work on the International Concourse @ ATL and I see foreign travellers carrying on big backpacks, using wheelchairs as luggage carts, dragging bags as big as them down the concourse. You go to one of the domestic concourse @ ATL, you won't see that going on at all.

Speedbird2155

Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:18 am

Thankfully we here in Europe actually check the cary-ons. There is no way that anyone can argue that they need 20kgs of luggage with them in a cabin. Basic things is, if you don't need it on the flight, check it in.

LY4XELD

Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:18 am

Quoting NIKV69 (reply 15):
ScottB and the rest of you people who don't want to wait at baggage claim. GROW UP!

Maybe some of us don't want to wait around the same people we just spent X amount of hours on an airplane with. Maybe we don't want to stand around the people who are pushing themselves in front of you to get your bags and then proceed to hit you with their massive suitcases that you swear must have Aunt Ethel and her fine china collection inside.

My question is: How do you know what situation everyone else is in? What if someone CAN'T wait another 30 minutes for their luggage (business meeting, etc.). Don't assume your travel situation applies to everyone.

Speedbird2155

Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:34 am

What if someone CAN'T wait another 30 minutes for their luggage (business meeting, etc.).

If it is that important that 30 minutes makes a difference then take an earlier flight.

LY4XELD

Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:37 am

Quoting Speedbird2155 (reply 24):
If it is that important that 30 minutes makes a difference then take an earlier flight.

...and if the flight was delayed?  Acting devilish

ERJ170

Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:44 am

Quoting Speedbird2155 (reply 24):

Sppedbird, The US is not the same as the EU... we are not a society of taking ones time... here in the US.. it is grab your stuff and go.. it's all about getting where you need to go in as little of time as possible.. it's a social thing.. as you will see at any airport, there are at least 75% of the aircraft mates waiting at baggage claim.. but if you can keep your bag with you, it not only helps yourself, but it helps that other 90 people waiting at the baggage claim for their bags.

So in essence, the US are being courteous by carrying on AND by checking their bags.. see, we are nice chaps.. it all depends on how you are looking at it

jetblueatjfk

Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:50 am

Quoting Zrs70 (reply 20):
In the states, if you fly during business hours on flights with business people, you will see fewer carry ons. If you fly to FL or HA, you will see larger carry ons.

I think I get what you are saying but not really. Business people will probably carry on things and leisure trips will have alot of check in and carry-ons. I don't see many business people checking everything, they just bring it, and on leisure trips, everyone checks there big bags and brings things to do.

jetBlueAtJFK

airgeek12

Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:51 am

Ya, there's alot of crap those pax take on with them. Unfourtunatly it's a rule and they are allowed to so oh well..

casinterest

Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:55 am

I just don't see it.
Most Americans travel with one bag that I see, and it generally falls within the guidelines. The cases where things usually get out of hand is when you have passengers with Kids/Babies, or people that have shopped in the terminal and bought way too much. Other than that most people that travel often know what they can fit and carry and get away with. I know when I go on a weekend trip, I don't want to half to carry much, and i figure if I can get it in a carry on bag I will. If I go for a week I will generally check luggage. But trust me if the airlines wanted to clamp down they could. But not all the airlines crank down.....so the status quo remains
Where ever you go, there you are.

StarCruiser

Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:56 am

Personally, I prefer to check the larger item(s) and I usually just take a small carry-on with a couple of magazines or a book (the original IFE), a bottle of water, my toilet articles, medications, a pair of boxers, socks and a polo shirt, just in case. Why people need to bring all their possessions on the plane is a mystery to me. I'll check my stuff so I don't have to haul it all through the airport. If it's a short trip, then I'll stuff everything into a single rollaboard, which I have done many times. If it doesn't fit, it gets left at home. Who needs the hassle?

AsstChiefMark

Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:15 am

Here's my philosophy. I'm allowed a carry-on that's 56 cm x 36 cm x 23 cm. If that's what I can have, then I'm going make good use it. Hence, my carry-on is 56 x 36 x 23 cm. I carry my personal stuff (hygiene products, medications, batteries/chargers, cameras), a change of clothes, valuables, breakable items, umbrella, and important documents. Any remaining space is filled with snacks, water, and reading materials. Why? From experience, I expect my checked luggage to end up 3000 miles in the other direction. From experience, I expect it will take two days to be delivered to me.

If I need more carry-on space, I bring a bookbag-type canvas backpack (like university students use) since that's considered a "personal item." It falls into the same category as a purse, laptop, or briefcase.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

sllevin

Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:26 am

Quoting Ssides (reply 11):
Furthermore, Americans generally don't have much of a problem lugging their own crap around. Every time I go to Europe, I am amazed at how many people are so "lazy" when it comes to carrying luggage. People with only two small suitcases will use a giant trolley just to get around LHR! In the US, that same person wouldn't think twice about rolling two roll-aboards around DFW.

Boy, that's the truth. I'm always stunned at the number of people using the little trolleys. You'd think they could manage a carryon -- after all, if you can't manage the carryon, that's probably a good sign it's not  Smile

Me, I try and avoid checking bags on short trips because I can't afford for the bag to get lost. Even it happened just once in a while, showing up to a meeting in blue jeans...I don't think so.

Steve

ANCFlyer

Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:48 am

It is ridiculous!

I carry on my computer case with a few extras (ziplock containing toothbrush, tooth paste and a change of drawers and socks). Everything else gets checked. If the carrier loses it - or as they euphamistically say: misdirects - my luggage, I go shopping and file a claim. It's the rule and I've never had any problems. I got a nice healthy check from US once, when my bag went to SXM and I went to STX. I spent a week there sans my luggage. Seven days. Now, I'll have to admit, there's not a lot of shopping options on STX, but I got it done. Some nice suits to be had there. As I had a meeting with the Governor the following afternoon, it was necessary. And US bought it, no complaints. US has replaced destroyed bags also, with not so much as a whimper.

My experience, with well over a million air miles on my butt and my luggage, has been misdirected luggage a dozen times. DL is the worst, US where I have the most miles a healthy second (that's the law of averages) and CO (one time at SEA in Aug 2003). And that is over a twenty year period. So I trust that most bags get where they're going.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

jetstar

Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:42 am

When I travel for 4 or less days, I can fit everything including my laptop into my carry on, I also carry an attaché case for all my business items and have room for my own IFE, a CD player.

When I travel for over 4 days then I check my larger luggage. I also take my carry on and put all my personnel items plus one change of clothes in case my luggage is lost or delayed. I can always go out and buy additional clothes (and send the bill to the airlines if my luggage is lost) if needed but my necessary personnel items are always with me. I only place my wheeled carry on overhead, my attache case goes under the seat.

Lately I also have been using a fanny pack, great for carrying a bottle of water or a sandwich and some snacks. As far as I know, a fanny pack is not listed as a carryon and I never have been stopped or questioned about it, so this gives me some additional storage.

In flight I strap it to the seat in front of me between the headrest and the seat and it does not interfere with the passenger in front of me and use if for holding items like my bottle of water instead of using the seat pocket. I have seen some disgusting things in these pockets over the years and I never put anything in them. The fannypack also makes a great holder for my CD player in flight so I don't have to keep it on my lap.

I still carry my attaché case. I attach my wheeled carryon to my larger wheeled luggage with the straps included on the luggage and hook my attaché case to the smaller unit and I make a little train out of it and can easily pull the entire unit with one hand. This works great for going to the car rental bus pickup area and checking into the hotel.

FLAIRPORT

Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:59 am

Ok, well for my jetBlue flights this March, I plan to check a bag with my "street clothes"....and a bag with my "chorus clothes".

additionally, I plan to carry on 2 bags....
1) my laptop (if it works)
2) my backpack with my schoolbooks, my jetBlue T-shirt and a pen (in case I run into Neeleman!), a few other items that are necessities...and I might take peoples advice and carry one change of clothes.

I will be checking a chorus uniform and I trust jetBlue that it will be on that JFK carousel within their 15 minute guarentee.
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

nudelhirsch

Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:21 pm

You can still tell, who is thinking ahead and who not.

Business folks, dressed like they should be, a briefcase and a pretty small bag - no prob.

Girlies, sitting up front, wearing gym suits and bringing 8 bags of SAKS only, plus their cabin luggage...*yuck*...

If everybody would adjust to his or her needs, like take a lot when time matters, don't when you have time, all would be fine. But convenience is more important.
Look at traffic.
Drive through Chicago at 4pm or so. It doesn't matter if you block traffic, you go when you can... running red lights, blocking main street traffic... terrible...
There is that concept of thinking ahead. You do not go block the intersection, because your car would make worse what you already see. Does that apply in America? Sadly not. You go and who ever blocks you will be sued...by a young mom in a Lexus SUV who obviously never drives without being on her cell...ouch...

I guess, everybody would feel more relaxed if everybody would adjust to needs. But, and I do have a lot of comparison there, lots of experience..., Americans tend to go as far as they can, and even more, while Europeans, well, some at least, think about the overall deal.

the dan
Putana da Seatbeltz!

Midwest717

Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:24 pm

The main reason why I check my bags is because I am just as likely to lose my stuff as the airline is, but if I lose my luggage it's my own damn fault, if the airline loses my luggage, I at least have someone to blame! Although I've never had an airline lose my stuff yet.

-Paul

pilotaydin

Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:18 pm

i had a delta agent misprint my bag tag from daytona on to turkey....

my flights were on DLH from ATL-FRA-ESB but she insisted on putting LH444 to LHR and sent my bag off, she said they would figure it out in atlanta that it wasnt LH to LHR, and im like, well that's great, but im flying LH to FRA!! not LHR, what if they look at the LHR and pop it onto BA?? so they had to delay the DAB-ATL flight to find my bag and reprint the proper tag lol Because i refused to take the 50/50 risk  Big grin

Speedbird2155

Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:25 pm

The agent could only misprint the tag if the incorrect on-carriage is in your booking and even then she should have checked where you wanted your bags to as some people prefer to collect them at their first stop. She obviously wasn't doing her job.

Also, the bag would only have been placed on the flight that it was tagged for and if the tag didn't carry a BA tag, then no matter the destination listed, it wouldn't have been on a BA flight. If the tag didn't match any of the flights, then it simply would have been left behind.

If the airline is like mine, then the agent should have been called to the office after that incident.

GuyBetsy1

Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:52 pm

Which is why you will see only the americans screaming at the check-in agent at airports in Europe (particularly London, Frankfurt and Zurich), Australia (all airports), and Asia (Singapore, HongKong) when they are made to weigh their hand baggage.. and then be told that the maximum weight is 7kg (Europe), 12kg (Australia) or 9kg (Singapore) and that the bags must be checked in.

"But I've carried this all over the world..."
"But I came from the US with this bad...."
or the perenial favourite quote: "DO you know who I am?"

Yeah, right... but now you're departing FROM .......... so you'll either to take things out, or check your bag or you don't fly.

NumberTwelve

Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:36 pm

Quoting KLMA330 (reply 4):
I think it's people's inability to wait at the luggage carousels after the flight.

This is not a typical American problem and in my opinion, Germans are very impatiently when they have to wait.

If flight is long, I only want to have very few hand luggage, because it's more comfortable.
signature censored by admin - so check my profile

nudelhirsch

Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:54 pm

No12???

Why little hand luggage on long flights?

I would determine that wish by the number of changes I have...

Changing planes never at all...who cares...
Changing planes 4 times... NO hand luggage...

Why should anybody care about his hand luggage when on a long flight???

the Dan
Putana da Seatbeltz!

NIKV69

Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:56 pm

ScottB,

Every airline misplaces a bag here and there. This is not an excuse to carry on big suitcases on board the plane.

LY4XELD,

I am sorry you find all the people around a baggage carousel rude and pushy. I will make it a point to make sure the next time you have to claim your bag that nobody is there. GET REAL. Do you think people that have to get on a subway in NY or have to cross 34th and Madison during lunch time in the summer don't do it because it's crowded and people can be rude? Please. Check those big suitcases. One small carryon is all you should be bringing on the plane. If you plan a flight to land right before a biz trip then you are an idiot. What happens if the flight is cancelled or is late? Picking up your bag after a flight does not take 30 minutes either.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

NumberTwelve

Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:04 pm

Quoting Nudelhirsch (reply 42):
No12???

Why little hand luggage on long flights?

Very simple, Hirsch: seats in Eco aren't that comfortable and overhead bins are full very often. So I only put things in hand luggage which are expensive and necessary such as:

ticket
book
money
camera
MAYBE laptop
fresh t-shirt

Also relation between flight time and time to wait at luggage claim works better than on short trips. If I would need luggage for 1 night and distance is short, I don't want to wait at luggage claim.

When do you have trips with 3 or 4 changes?
signature censored by admin - so check my profile

cha747

Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:10 pm

I only max my carry-on's because:

1. I've lost two checked bags flying going into PHL...one was probably lost in transit and the other one was, according to the airline, probably stolen off the carousel. The one that was stolen had $900 worth of new clothes (not to mention the bag was new) and fortunatlely we had the receipts, but it's still a pain to replace that many clothes.

2. In early December we volunteered on a CLT-PHL flight and took a later flight. We had checked-in one bag on the earlier flight. This is when things were looking bad for US at PHL and this was the weekend that there were only reportedly 5-6 baggage handlers. To make a long story short, the bags from the flight that we were on later were offloaded and on the carousel about one hour after we landed and the bags from the original flight were unloaded an hour after that...approximately 4 hours after that plane had landed.

3. If I carry-on I can be off the plane and to my car or a cab at PHL in about 5 minutes. That means I can be at home from the gate in less than 20 minutes.

Obviously there's no avoiding it for longer trips, but I've had enough experiences to take as little as possible and carry-on as much as possible.
Piedmontgirl was always right

mikefad

Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:53 pm

Nowadays, planes are being filled with folks who might not fly very much. The more you travel , the more you learn to pare down what you "need".

When you see Hawaiian shirts you know it's gonna be a leisure crowd. But in their defense ,one could argue they are not as uptight as the well heeled business crowd.

But as far as people having their "stuff" with them all the time, I do think that is funny also........Even some people I work with seem to have this need to bring their bag with them. Stuffed to the seams......the bag I mean.

George Carlin does a funny bit on the "stuff" subject.

IAHtown

Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:21 pm

I know people who have had their luggage lost so many times, they refuse to check any baggage. Maybe European airlines are more efficient at handling baggage than American airlines. But I have to admit, I've never had any checked baggage lost by any airline anywhere in the world.

isitsafenow

Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:03 am

I checked in to an airline at my favorite airport a couple of weeks ago with two checked bags and said to the agent.."I want this bag to go to Los Angeles and this bag to go to New Orleans". He replied.."we can't do that.."
I answered.."why not...you did it last week"...
keep smilin..
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

DeltaWings

Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:12 am

I guess that is the reason, why Airlines from the USA allow more carry on luggage weight. DL and CO both allow up to 18 kg of hand luggage per person. This is awfully alot. European airlines like AZ, LX and Chzech airlines only allow 6 kg.

~DeltaWings
Homer: Marge, it takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos