Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

qwerty

RE: WN "Major Announcement" Tuesday...

Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:43 am

Quoting Greenguy01 (reply 130):
Southwest announces that it is going to totally ignore the Wright Amendment and is going to start new non-stop service out of DAL.

I hate to keep this thread going, but this is actually a stinkin' great idea. Think off all the good (free) PR they would get for this.

And what would the penalties actually be?

What would be the enforecement mechanism? WN stickin' it to the bloated Federal Govt. It wouldn't be smart as the there would be pushback in unexpected areas that are federally controlled (read TSA worker slowdown, etc.) but it's and interesting notion to just say, hey, this law is silly and we're going to ignore it.

... I guess it would just be a quick way to loose The Part XX Certificate.

OPNLguy

Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:11 am

>>>Think off all the good (free) PR they would get for this.

Yeah, negative PR, i.e. putting themselves above the Law... SWA won't do that...

>>>What would be the enforecement mechanism?

It would never get that far. DFW/AA would immediately sue upon hearing official announcement of plans for any such service, and get restraining orders to keep it from commencing.

SWA will do it legally, or not all...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

UPS707

Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:13 am

I would be curious on what the penalties would be. I remember when I lived in the UK about 15 years ago, it was illegal for the home improvement stores to be open on Sundays. Well, the bean counters did the math, realised that since there were no escalating penalties for multiple violations, as long as their profits for the day covered the fine (somewhere around $1,500 if I remember correctly) then it made sense to open whether it was legal or not. This went on for years and nothing ever changed...

TWA902fly

Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:38 am

Actually here's the real news

Wal-Mart, Greyhound and Southwest are merging... while at the same time selling 737s to Northwest to help them retire DC-9s and Air France will contract their plane - washing operations to the new
Wal-Mart/Greyhound/Southwest Inc. Together, they will take over America selling you everything you dont need while youre going anywhere Grehound/Southwest fly..

Greyhound starts serving airports instead of cities, and connects random little places to WN flights...

Price, Utah to Kenosha, Wisconsin Price-SLC-MCI-STL-MDW-Kenosha.....

TWA902..
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

737doctor

Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:42 pm

As I mentioned in another thread...

Take this with a grain of salt, but the C-Check mechanics were told to leave their plane in the hangar this morning for Herb to use as a backdrop for a press conference. They were told by their supervisor that we were going to announce service to Mexico.

However, this is just one of many rumors I've heard, so I guess we'll see what is really going on tomorrow...
Patrick Bateman is my hero.

Silver1SWA

Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:21 pm

Well, sounds like it is a public announcement after all...

This should be interesting (hopefully).
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

chrisnh

Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:55 pm

This is the last time I'll pay attention to some clown posting about an 'upcoming major announcement' by an airline. He started off by saying he was taking the risk of getting flamed, and I hope he did. Although the thread generated a fair amount of wild speculation (Mobil Oil buying Southwest so that the latter can get great fuel prices), it was silly to start this in the first place, IMO.

swacle
Topic Author

Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:59 pm

Quoting ChrisNH (reply 206):
This is the last time I'll pay attention to some clown posting about an 'upcoming major announcement' by an airline. He started off by saying he was taking the risk of getting flamed, and I hope he did. Although the thread generated a fair amount of wild speculation (Mobil Oil buying Southwest so that the latter can get great fuel prices), it was silly to start this in the first place, IMO.

Look,

It generated a lot of good discussion, and an announcement still may be coming, possibly sooner rather than later. All I posted was a rumor that I had heard from several people around the station plus no fewer than 3 different flight crews. I thought it was interesting so I opened it up for discussion...

DC
Aircraft Flown: SF3 DH8 DH4 328 ERJ CRJ CR7 CR9 E70 E75 D9S M80 712 72S 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 739ER 752 318 319 32

jfrworld

Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:57 am

"This is the last time I'll pay attention to some clown posting about an 'upcoming major announcement' by an airline. He started off by saying he was taking the risk of getting flamed, and I hope he did. Although the thread generated a fair amount of wild speculation (Mobil Oil buying Southwest so that the latter can get great fuel prices), it was silly to start this in the first place, IMO.
"

People just need to relax and get over it. I'm sure everyone loved reading all of the responses to this thread and enjoyed adding their two cents. People need to stop taking this board so seriously - jeez.

AirWillie6475

Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:21 am

Hey Swacle, are you F-ing with us? Where's the announcement dude?

petazulu

Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:47 am

Hey guys, go to bloomberg.com if you only want confirmed information! Relax, it's not a big deal. I don't feal like Swacle did anything malicious.

Silver1SWA

Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:17 am

Quoting AirWillie6475 (reply 209):

I hope you are joking. If you had paid any attention to this topic you would know this rumor has spread through the entire Southwest Airlines company. Swacle just brought it to everyone's attention here at airliners.net. There was no joke here, and it wasn't a rumor pulled out of their ass for the sake of F-ing with everyone here!

The announcement still may be comming!! There are variations to the rumor that give different time intervals.

When is the DAL message to the field? Could it be on Friday? Because I heard Friday could be the day...and Dallas would be a more appropriate setting for such an announcement.

737doctor

Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:24 am

So here's the skinny on the announcement...

The story around here is that CNN came to interview Herb. The C-check boys left their plane in the hangar as a back drop for the interview...

That's it. That's the big news.
Patrick Bateman is my hero.

N766UA

Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:36 am

Dude, he definately made it quite clear that he was posting a rumor. Yeah, it sucks absolutely nothing came of it... but hey, it's not his fault.

airgeek12

Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:01 pm

Ok so what was the big news forreal?

N766UA

Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:05 pm

There was no big news. For real.

airgeek12

Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:12 pm

Ok, so this was just an unture rumor? That makes me kind of mad, but whatever.

N766UA

Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:33 pm

Well, if it weren't for all the ridiculous and rampant speculation we wouldn't have been built up to expect anything anyway. Swacle did use the word "rumor" twice in his own post... we're all just so gullable we took it and ran with it- right off a cliff... (we meaning not me  Big grin)

swabur

Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:46 pm

It's a let down to find out that there is nothing to find out, but I do think that there is something pretty big on the horizon. Still, I wouldnt hold my breath until Gary Kelly himself announces anything.
C'Mon Mav, do some of that pilot sh**!!

airgeek12

Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:48 pm

Quoting Swabur (reply 218):
It's a let down to find out that there is nothing to find out, but I do think that there is something pretty big on the horizon. Still, I wouldnt hold my breath until Gary Kelly himself announces anything.

Haha yea, I agree.

Silver1SWA

Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:02 pm

I'm not putting it to rest personally until next fall. If I don't hear anything by then, THEN we will know it was a rumor the whole time. Not only did a.net get worked up, but it has been quite a stir system wide at Southwest.

tcfc424

Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:15 pm

For those that are complaining about the posting of a rumor here on A.net, get over yourselves. As someone has already stated, if you only wanted confirmed information, don't visit A.net, visit Bloomberg or CNN or BBC. If you do, however, enjoy speculating about future possibilities ---well founded considering the fact that this "rumor" spread in its original format throughout the entire WN system --- then add your two cents and be done with it. This thread is proof positive that we like to speculate...I think this post makes 221 and I think its exciting to speculate about what WN could do that would make us "Remember where we were".

Mike S. in AUS

jeffinbwi

Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:37 pm

I was working the first day it came out and it was amazing. Every city we landed at someone would ask if we had heard the announcement. The wording was always identical also "you'll remember where you were when you heard it". Im still blown away how something not supported by any Company communications device spread so quickly and thoroughly.
Jeff

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos