Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AirplanePeanut
Topic Author

AA Anouncing Food In The Main Cabin

Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:35 am

New Food Option Based On Customer And Employee Feedback
Got the inflight munchies? We can help! Food items are now available for purchase in the main cabin on flights between select domestic cities. The new service is a direct result of tests that we conducted in September, which gauged the needs of customers. Survey results and feedback from both customers and employees ultimately helped us create menus that give you the most value and quality for your dollar. To accompany the complimentary beverages service which is available in all classes of service, food options are available in Coach Class on more than 500 daily non-transcontinental flights - that's an increase of over 300 flights!

My link system isnt working, but you can go to http://www.aa.com/apps/netSAAver/ViewPromotionsDetail.jhtml?repositoryId=12801082&repositoryName=PromotionContentRepository&itemDescriptor=PromotionContent>

[Edited 2005-02-21 00:39:28]

FLAIRPORT

RE: AA Anouncing Food In The Main Cabin

Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:46 am

well darn...

I'm flying from FLL-LGA and I think that is under 3 hours...even so it leaves at 8:15pm...

maybe my LGA-FLL will though! Leaves at 3:15pm
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

Seamus

Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:46 pm

I've had the opportunity to have the purchased snack on board and I'm not impressed. The snack is terrible. I would rather pay more money and get something decent than the two crackers, two pieces of cheese, two Oreo cookies, a couple slices of salami (the size of quarters). Simply not worth it. Heck, we all pay $3.00 for a bottle of water in the terminals, so I can't imagine that AA feels the pax won't pay more than $3.00! Charge me $10 and give me an actual sandwich. Please.

ckfred

Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:09 pm

Charge me $15 and give me pasta or a grilled chicken breast and salad.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:28 pm

Funny how when AA does this, they put a positive spin on it.

NW does the same thing, actually now offerin BOB on flights that didn't even get meal service before, and gets slammed in the press.

Its all about the PR spin you put on things.

aaflt1871

Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:13 pm

Quoting AirplanePeanut (reply 0):
My link system isnt working, but you can go to

You have to put < at the front and > at the rear. You only linked the end, not the front.

http://www.aa.com/apps/netSAAver/Vie...ry&itemDescriptor=PromotionContent
Where did everybody go?

IAHtown

Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:49 pm

Quoting Ckfred (reply 3):
Charge me $15 and give me pasta or a grilled chicken breast and salad.

I agree, give me something I can't get from a vending machine.

laca773

Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:02 pm

This is really bad. At least on DL, US, & UA you can buy a nice salad or sandwich with accompanyments. I believe these are similar to what you get on B6 & WN on their transcon's, in fact I think they have more in their "snack packs".
I hope they come to their senses and re-institute meal service on their transcons and Hawaii routes. I'm sure people who fly LAX/SFO-JFK-LAX/SFO are not happy with AA's choices on these high priced flights.

BR715-A1-30

Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:03 am

I was pleased with Midwest's BoB product... It was very good. The Sandwich was good, and I can't find the KETTLE CLASSICS brand potato chips anywhere. I have found LAYS Kettle Chips.. But you know
Puhdiddle

flybyguy

Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:35 am

The people who came up with this program are imitating imbeciles. It's as if AA management thinks that if everyone is doing the terrible box lunches they should get on the band wagon too. If airlines kept costs low, but offered things that distinguished themselves they would be in a much better position. What is Continental remains the only airline not to cut inflight meals? When I start working I will certainly give them some business so I could avoid the nasty overpriced box lunch craze. Or even better yet, if my routing allows it, I'll just fly jetBlue and buy myself a nice meal of my choice.

Quoting Seamus (reply 2):
I can't imagine that AA feels the pax won't pay more than $3.00! Charge me $10 and give me an actual sandwich. Please.

Agreed. But US Airways charges $7 dollars for an awful sandwich the size of a twinky with a few crunchy things on the side.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

AA737-823

Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:53 am

I agree that Midwest's lunch was great- the sandwich was huge, and I was ful before I finished all of the food.
I thought $10 was a little steep, though. I can eat at a decent restaurant for that. But, I would be willing to pay it again- costs are prolly higher to serve you a sandwich at FL350 than in Humperdink's.

However, $15??? You guys are nuts! That's approaching cheap ribeye territory. Only a few menu items at Chili's are $15- most are below.

R

Skyguy

Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:01 am

Why don't AA just come clean and say they are converting to an LCC? I mean, with all the cheapskate stunts and gimmicks they keep coming up with to fleece customers for their money they might as well just be known as a very successful LCC rather than a full service airline.
Can you imagine BA, SQ, LH etc. selling stale food inflight just to make a buck?
"Those who talk, do not know, and those who know, do not talk."

baw2198

Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:39 am

I wouldn't mind paying for an inflight meal, but the way the airlines go about it would have to change. For instance, instead purchasing literally in flight. Why not purchase your meal when you buy your ticket plus make your selection of what you want to eat at that same time. Since AA has confirmed seating, your meal order would print up on the manifest with your seat and meal request. So for this service $15 and under for BYOF on board would actually be worth it. Qualilty would also have to come up quite a bit as well to draw more customers to the idea.
"And remember, Keep your stick on the ice"--->Red Green

Metropolitan

Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:13 am

Health aspect?

I am wondering why they cannot sell more healthy food? Why does everything has to be super processed?

This is a breakfast to me:

And this could be a light lunch:

laca773

Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:44 am

Like that breakfast meal you put up from www.airlinemeals.net, Metropolitan I haven't see a nice cold breakfast served like that one on a US flight ever.
I agree AA needs to fess up that their domestic service are now of the LCC version and not legacy anymore.
Has anyone tried skymeals? They are based here in Los Angeles for all of you from the LA area and they are great. Check them out: www.skymeals.net They're a little pricy but worth it on a four plus flight.

usdcaguy

Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:41 am

What gets me is that Southwest Airlines has been handing out snack boxes for FREE on many of its long-haul flights. Normally, you would have to pay $5 for the same thing on US Airways or another carrier. How ironic...

ozglobal

Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:59 am

Is it just me, or are all these initiatives akin to re-arranging the deck-chairs on the Titanic. If the business model of all the majors is beyond therapy, and it would seem so after two years bankruptcy for most, and if it's in the US national interest for the carriers to survive, would it be such a terrible thing for them to put up fares via some sort of government arbitration process? There would need to be conditions of productivity, efficiency, etc and safegaurds against cartel based price fixing. Someone needs to bite the bullet. The alternative should be to expire Ch 11 protection and let market forces take over completely. Limbo doesn't seem to be a good place for the industry to live.
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

Iberia340600

Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:08 pm

Quoting Skyguy (reply 11):
Can you imagine BA, SQ, LH etc. selling stale food inflight just to make a buck?

F Y I - BA is contemplating going to a paying for meal service on board for their domestic routes. What many thought was once crazy for the majors to even think about(as in a LCC mentality) is slowly becoming reality.
Visca Barça!!

ckfred

Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:20 pm

William F. Buckley, the conservative writer, once wrote what he would do, if he ran an airline. He was tired of full meals of bad food, bags that no self-respecting bistro would serve, and picnic baskets unworthy of a church picnic.

His suggestion was sandwiches from the Carnegie Deli and TCBY frozen yogurt, say for flights under 3 hours.

Now, having had deli sandwiches in New York, a sandwich from the Carnegie might be too big for in-flight service, but certainly, sandwiches from Subway or Quizno's would be relatively cheap and quite easy for the F/As to handle, and much better than what I've eaten in coach and read about recently.

I think Great Plains Airlines used to serve Subway on its meal flights, and the sandwiches were free.

Thrust

Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:01 pm

SUBWAY? Man that is beautiful. It's too bad AA has to put a rather unreasonable price tag on these foods though. I heard the price will be as much as seven bucks.....whatever happened to the days when all this stuff was free to the passengers  Angry
Fly one thing; Fly it well

Boeing73G

Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:07 pm

It's more expensive to cater food onto an aircraft than it is to have drinks. How much does it cost to give you a 6 oz. cup of Coke (or Pepsi)? Not very much.  Nuts

Food: That is something completely different. The airline may get different items (pretzels, peanuts, even chips) and has to pay more. But, the meal is the most expensive due to the fact that there is more food and labor involved.

Paying for a 1 ounce bag of peanuts, pretzels, chips, or "party mix" is ridiculous, and the airline would only be allowed to charge... maybe $.10 per bag?

The snack box does look reasonable, but it should at least include a SANDWICH! Isn't that the airline definition of the meal "snack" in Y?  Insane

Or maybe we are expecting to much of struggling carriers.

The passengers will decide with their dollars.  Smile

[Edited 2005-02-23 06:09:59]

Orion737

Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:13 pm

I wish these anorexic airlines would stop telling us theat we can buy a tasty meal when in reality we can buy a snack. A fresh sandwich or warm toastie would be nice!

flyfirst

Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:47 am

Make sure to bring a seat or a chair next time you fly....maybe they will start selling chairs.
WOW, when will this stop, if you cant feed your pax, then don't fly and do something else.

AN

nwhpdtw

Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:48 am

Quoting BAW2198 (reply 12):
Why not purchase your meal when you buy your ticket plus make your selection of what you want to eat at that same time. Since AA has confirmed seating, your meal order would print up on the manifest with your seat and meal request.

While this would work for most people, the problem I see with this would be any last minute changes to someones plans (flying standby, rescheduling a cancelled flight, etc.) that would make it very hard for the airlines to make sure the meal you requested in one the plane with you. Sure, the airline could request a few extra meals just in case, but that kinda defeats the point of getting a count beforehand.

sunking737

Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:36 pm

Hey you can try SY, as we do not charge for our food. Hot sandwich in Coach, and hot food in F/C that is very good. We even have cheeseburgers in Coach !!!!!
"Don't believe it unless its parked on the ramp, or printed in the schedule...SUBJECT TO CHANGE"

I'm a SUNDUCK......Worked for RC & SY @ MSP

contrails

Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:24 pm

AA actually announced this a while back. I have mixed feelings about it. I prefer something more substantial than a sandwich on a long flight, but on the other hand a lot of the airline food I've consumed tasted like cardboard.

I believe I share many FF's concerns as to where this will stop. Will the airlines start charging for using the bathroom? How about a small charge for a glass of water? This needs to stop here.

I'm flying to HNL on AA in April, and I'm haven't yet decided if I want to buy some AA , or bring something from home. Decisions, decisions.
Flying Colors Forever!

Boeing73G

Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:33 pm

Quoting Contrails (reply 25):
I'm flying to HNL on AA in April, and I'm haven't yet decided if I want to buy some AA , or bring something from home. Decisions, decisions.

You will still get food on Hawaii flights.

Airlines will not:

• charge for the lavatory

• charge for water

• But the airlines will still charge for headphones.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos