Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AirWillie6475
Topic Author

Horizon Air

Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:35 am

I have a few questions. What is the point of having seattle and portland as hubs when they are so close to each other. Horizon could maybe set a hub at SFO or maybe LAX. They could start service to mexico.

Is Horizon a large regional airline and do they have plans of growth?

lvkewlkid

RE: Horizon Air

Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:41 am

well, thats just like saying why does HP have hubs in LAS and PHX and there so close, same with US having hubs in PHL and used to have one in Pittsburgh. What about NW with DTW, Memphis, and MSP? AS also has hubs in PDX and SEA. Most airlines do, i've wondered why they can't just have a western, eastern, and mid-western hub.

doug_or

Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:42 am

A large amount of QXs operations are actauly p2p. I think something like 70% of QX passengers (these number are from before the F9 codeshare) did not connect. Most of their codeshare pax go to AS flights, and since PDX and SEA are both big AS cities, it makes sense to feed them.
When in doubt, one B pump off

CanadianNorth

Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:44 am

I think Horizon is fairly big (what do they fly now, Dash-8-200s, Dash-8-400s and CRJ700s? Did I miss anything?), and if two hubs close together make money, then why not eh. 2 of Air Canada's main hubs, Montreal and Toronto, are relatively close and it works fine. If it works, why fix it?

I don't know too much about regional airlines in the states but a hub in SFO or LAX I would think might work for them...

CanadianNorth
HS-748, like a 747 but better!

alb222

Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:52 am

And QX and AS are owned by the same company. QX as mentioned feeds off of AS in PDX and SEA to smaller communities in the Northwest. They do some p2p from SJC, SFO, LAX, but their main thing is to forward AS passengers to their final destinations such as BOI etc.

frugalqxnwa

Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:23 am

QX also has a maintenance base at BOI, and BOI gets quite a bit of QX service. In fact, I have heard of people connecting in BOI, from QX to NW or vice versa for example. Half of the new Concourse C in BOI is devoted to QX operations.

as739x

Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:33 am

Let begin by a few points here. QX does no p2p traffic from SFO. They only serve PDX and that is a good 60% feed to other AS/QX flights. BOI-SJC is the only p2p for SJC. Service to LAX is also mainly feed but does have the most p2p traffic. Aln222, your correct.
-
QX is starting to build LAX. They will be adding 4 Q400 on the RNO-LAX flights to take over 3 AS flights.
-
You will not see QX make a hub anywhere else and I assure you no SFO. SFO will not allow Q400's to gate. SO no Q400/200's for SFO.
-
Chances of QX in Mexico are very slim. The AS pilots would flip a gasket, not that they have the final say. But the Q400's and CR7's fleets are streched very thin right now. Nothing south of LAX anytime soon.

ASSFO
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

frugalqxnwa

Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:41 am

AS739X,

What happened to QX at SAN? I know they suspended BOI-SAN a few years back, but didn't they have other services there?

S12PPL

Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:57 am

QX has, and always will maintain that it wants to be the best regional airline out there. That is they're only plan. Regional service. They have no plans to buy larger aircraft than those that serve the regional market. And they more than likely will never serve anything east of Denver. My guess is they would want to dominate the west coast, and that is all. No international service other than Canada.
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

kdeg00

Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:46 pm

I agree about Horizon being one of the best regionals going. I have a soft spot for the Dash 8s in general, but I love my short flights on Horizon. fast check in, nice, relaxed service and an incredible number of flights to choose from, seemingly in any direction out of PDX. PSP next week with the return on AS should be great if the rains down south ever stop (how the tables have turned).
AS 75K, DL Gold, BA Silver

as739x

Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:08 pm

Frugel......SAN/SFO-BOI service was dropped cause it was a flop. It was very poorly timed by QX and loads were aweful. That is the main reason its didn't work out. I also really dont know where the demand for BOI-SAN would come from.

ASSFO

NikonDFW

Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:08 pm

Were the TUS-SFO/SJC/PDX QX CRJ flights bad performers or did they drop those do to the RJ's going to Frontier?

Lono

Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:26 pm

Does anyone else think QX will start service to SE Alaska???
Wally Bird Ruled the Skys!

S12PPL

Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:36 pm

QX is having to pick up ALOT of AS markets lately. Alaska knows they have to expand east to compete, but they don't have the aircraft/cash on hand to buy enough planes to make it work. Alaska also wants to expand to a major carrier with lots of flights out east, but they aren't willing right now to buy the larger planes to do it. Thus, we see QX taking over most of the PDX/SEA to SFO, OAK, Southern Cali flights. AS needs the metal for ORD, DFW, etc.

Alaska wants to expand, and use QX as a feeder, but they don't have the ability to do so right now with they're current cash situation. They're caught in a catch 22. They want to expand out east to earn the cash, but don't have the cash to expand out east. Hopefully the new -800's will help them with this. But a few planes here and there won't do the trick. Why Alaska didn't invest in some 752's for they're east coast expansion is beyond me.

N1120A

Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:39 pm

>I have a few questions. What is the point of having seattle and portland as hubs when they are so close to each other. Horizon could maybe set a hub at SFO or maybe LAX.<

QX, like AS, calls LAX a hub and feeds AS flights to Mexico there. The reason they hub at both SEA and PDX is because of the massive AS ops there. Alaska is Horizon's parent and they serve them first. They started feeding F9 when they had enough aircraft to do the job.

>They could start service to mexico.<

Mexico is left to big sister AS, given that they have higher capacity planes to handle the numbers they get on their Mexico service

>Is Horizon a large regional airline and do they have plans of growth?<

QX is a decent sized carrier, with 63 planes, but are not really large. Consider that OO has over 70 EMB-120s alone. They run a bit differently, but they are definately growing.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

doug_or

Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:41 pm

Because the 737s can do the job without adding a new tpye to the fleet?
When in doubt, one B pump off

S12PPL

Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:56 pm

And 752's would allow them to use the 737's primarily on the west coast...allowing them to expand rapidly to the middle of the country, and slowly east. They could open SLC, MCI, IAH, etc....while using the higher capacity 752's on the EWR, MCO, and MIA runs.

Anyway...what would I know, I'm just an armchair CEO, right? Big grin

GentFromAlaska

Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:08 pm

[quote=lono,reply=12]Does anyone else think QX will start service to SE Alaska???

There was some talk a few years ago about Horizon flying to S.E. Alaska from SEA. It never materialized.

Delta has flown a few CRJ charters to Juneau over the years.
Man can be taken from Alaska. Alaska can never be taken from the man.

Lono

Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:36 pm

GentFromAlaska
DL did the CRJ thing after DL pulled their AS Air Limited (Kenya)">SE Alaska service ... Bummer perfect A/C for JNU.. DL should have stayed put in JNU but that is a whole new discussion...

Thing is... If AS were to add HNL/OGG/MSY/IAH service they would be almost the same size as Western Airlines was back in the day before they got Fcked by the DL merger..... Aircraft.. employees... destinations back east... etc..
You have to wonder how long AS can remain a "NICHE" carrier... I have to think that AS is trying to make itself attractive for a LCC with money
Wally Bird Ruled the Skys!

flashmeister

Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:26 pm

Don't forget that QX at PDX and SEA also serve to feed codeshare flights on NW, CO, DL, AA, and HA. That's a lot of options for connecting service and pax from QX destinations.

Also, for what it's worth, QX technically already flies east of DEN, but for Frontier.

Blackhawk144

Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:14 pm

Just a note to the people in BOI, I doubt that QX will ever expand out of BOI again unfortunately, so I don't think it would be very appropriate to call it a hub, more of a focus city really.

HOWEVER, I've heard from a number of sources, which may be rumors, or may be not, that QX and Big Sky are competing over BOI-PDT, which I bet Big Sky will get the route, but it does say that QX wanted to expand BOI by one route  Smile.

I can't imagine them stopping BOI-SJC, BOI-Idaho Falls, Pocatello, Lewiston, BOI-LAX, etc.

But I am afraid that the BOI expansion has stopped.

Anthony
Time is the best of all teachers. Unfortunately, it kills all of its students!

F9Animal

Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:54 pm

I admire QX. They maintain a good looking fleet of aircraft. and provide excellent service. I remember the good old F28. Kinda miss seeing those birds.

I think it is time to update the paint job!
I Am A Different Animal!!

qxq400

Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:19 am

QX is always open to new opportunities. However we are owned by AAG, as such what ever AS wants as far as QX servicing AS routes they will get.

F9 express has been a rousing success. If the RIGHT opportunity is there will take it. For now QX has to deal with there own problems. We do not have enough planes to service our own network effectively.
Welcome baby Madison Renee

EA CO AS

Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:27 am

I think it is time to update the paint job!

It's less than 15 years old - and the paint's just fine, thanks.  Smile
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

flashmeister

Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:35 am

One thing that struck me about QX is the support that it gets from its customers. I don't think that Comair or ASA or American Eagle have the same sort of customer loyalty that Horizon has managed to gather... I've never heard anyone say "oh, God, it's Horizon" or really complain about much of anything at all on a QX flight. The same cannot be said for the other regionals, unfortunately.

RWA380

Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:51 am

QX dropped the BOI-PDT some years ago, since it is a 4 hour drive, and fares were fairly high, most people in those areas are used to having to drive distances to get places. if QX thought there would be a market, I'm sure they would have taken it back up, which was an old UA route back in the 70's and 80's, operated on 727-100's. If Big Sky or QX wants it, they can operate it without competing or getting the route. Not much O&D traffic to warrant a
Dash-8, Big Sky, with smaller planes may be able to find enough passengers to break even.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

as739x

Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:06 am

Horizon will not be in Southeast Alaska. They don't have the ability for it. None of there planes can fly the RNP approach which is required alot in JNU due to weather. They also can't handle the cargo loads need to be moved. A large research project was done running the numbers on this. Now I can't rule out a few D-8's out of ANC with ERA coming apart. But if PenAir can pick up the slack and a few Saab's there will be no need.
-
S12PPL, you sure have a lot of knowledge for someone not with the airline. Let talk about the 757 thing. Lets start with LAX,SFO,ANC. These three airports had/have no gates to accom. the 757. It would have required AS moving to other gates costing a load of money. At the time Boeing brought the 757 to AS, SEA didn't even have gates to hold the 757. It wasn't till we got the AA gates that we could have had gates for them. It's would have required contracts and different pay scales for pilots which would have cost a load of money. More flight attendant on a plane, which was an issue with the -900/800. It's would have required new ramp equipment which would have cost money. We would have had to buy another sim which at the least was $7 million or so. The 757 never was a option for a nitch airline like AS. Yes, Alaska is a major but also a nitch carrier. AS was not really planning east coast expansion when all the 757 stuff was going on.
In regards to cash. AS does have more cash then they let on people to believe. Including employee's! But there are 6 contract within the company in negotiations. When thats all over, dont be surprised if you see an order in the range of 20-25 738's, and maybe a few 73G's.

ASSFO

NWDC10

Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:23 pm

One of the "better" airlines. Robert NWDC10

Boeing73G

Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:49 pm

Quoting AS739X (reply 26):
At the time Boeing brought the 757 to AS, SEA didn't even have gates to hold the 757.

What year did Boeing propose the 757 to AS?

I found this on Modified Airliner Photos:
http://www.cardatabase.net/modifieda...earch/photo_search.php?id=00000228

as739x

Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:09 pm

Don't know the exact year. It was back when John Kelly was running the show. He wanted the 739 so we could be a launch customer.

ASSFO

Chugach

Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:42 pm

FWIW, I saw AA use concourse C (the AS gates) in Anchorage last summer/fall. C5, if memory is correct. So I believe the new AS concourse in ANC could handle 757's.

Also, being an eastern Oregon native, I think PDT-BOI on Horizon would be great!

RyDawg82

Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:24 pm

Quoting Chugach (reply 30):
FWIW, I saw AA use concourse C (the AS gates) in Anchorage last summer/fall. C5, if memory is correct. So I believe the new AS concourse in ANC could handle 757's.

Yes you are correct all of Alaska's new gates on the C-Concourse are 757 ready with the exception of gate C1, this is only due to length restrictions not wingspan. Several times AA got moved around the C-Gates due to IregOps, however C6 was the perferred and most used gate for AA ops.

-R

PDXFlyer

Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:32 am

Horizon is an excellent carrier. I have never had a bad experience with them.

dash8tech

Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:19 am

Quoting N1120A (reply 14):
QX is a decent sized carrier, with 63 planes, but are not really large. Consider that OO has over 70 EMB-120s alone. They run a bit differently, but they are definately growing.

We have a slightly different cost structure than many of the other regionals. For example with airlines like Comair, Air Wisconsin, etc etc their ticketing, reservations, gates are all done by Delta and United respectively. Without these things to worry about much more money can be put to more aircraft and route expansion. Yes we're growing, but not a the speed we'd like.

Many have commented that we have a lot of P&P, O&D, whatever you want to call it. This is true, believe it or not the percentage of passengers that we actually pass on to the codeshares including Alaska is quite low.

Quoting N1120A (reply 14):
QX, like AS, calls LAX a hub and feeds AS flights to Mexico there. The reason they hub at both SEA and PDX is because of the massive AS ops there. Alaska is Horizon's parent and they serve them first. They started feeding F9 when they had enough aircraft to do the job.

Again, we don't feed F9 so much as fly their routes so they can go farther with their heavier iron. A lot of the F9-Xpress is O&D.

Quoting AirWillie6475 (reply 0):
Is Horizon a large regional airline and do they have plans of growth?

6th largest in the US, and yes of course we do but can only do as much as the almighty $ allows.

PlanesNTrains

Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:35 am

I flew on a Horizon CRJ-700 a while back from Tuscon to San Jose and, other than an embarrassingly long delay (there was some stern words being spoken between employees just moments before the long delayed boarding announcement was finally made), it was a great flight -so much so, that when our family went to Disneyland, I booked us on Horizon SEA-LGB. My wife initially balked at the small size of the plane, but between the plane-side bag check-in and the great inflight service and comfort, she was won over.

If there is one complaint for AS/QX, it would be the horrible congestion at the ticketing area in Seattle. We've spent 30-40 minutes in line just to get to the eticket machines. As much as I love AS/QX, I'm ready to switch to another carrier when it's available just for that reason alone.

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

KabAir

Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:01 am

Horizon won me over this winter! I was at first pretty "bummed out" when a few of my flights ended up being QX flights instead of AS flights.... until I actually flew with QX. Now I look to book QX intentionally! GREAT airline, GREAT service, GREAT employees, a few of the majors need to get some tips from Horizon!!

I hope they purchase 400 planes this year and become DEN's flag carrier  Smile
wow, there sure are a lot of expert economists on this forum....

sprxUSA

Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:18 am

As for the Pendleton,OR situation.

I find it funny that QX says that they can't make any money there and were ready to dump it in April, however, they are one of the three airlines vying for the subsidy to go there. Apparently, they don't want to leave that bad.

The three are Horizon, Big Sky, and Great lakes. I hear a winner will be picked in March.

I think Great Lakes would only have PDT-PDX flights, QX status quo, and GQ a BOI-PDT-PDX or BOI-PDT-MWH-PDX routing. The BOI-MWH loads are abysmal to horrendous. I try to ask every day I am at the airport working how many to MWH. Ususally around 2. Only reason it is around is for a/c rotation to BIL. They should have left it going to GEG.

I would like to see ZK go in there , just to get another airline in this area.

By the way, Boise-Pendleton is only a 3 hour drive, but potentially eternal in Winter, but not this year!

If anyone cares, some airlines that used to fly BOI-PDT nonstop were: Air Oregon(two different times), Golden Gate, Horizon, United, Cascade,SwiftAire (Immediately after Golden Gate collapse, operated the former GG flights out of BOI as WI for a short time.)
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"

Chugach

Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:49 pm

Being from that area originally, I will admit that more often than not I wind up driving to PSC (an hour north on I-84/82) due to the MUCH cheaper airfares, plus nonstop connections to SLC, DEN, etc. As a result, I think this is indirectly why PDT is supposedly unprofitable these days for QX: why pay extra to backtrack to PDX in order to fly east when you can drive an extra 45 minutes to 1 hour at 70 mph, get a much cheaper airfare and nonstop connections eastbound connections without having to pay extra.

Personally, I'd like to see QX do PDX-PDT-BOI and return instead of the PDX-PSC-PDT routing. That way Pendleton would have some semblance of competition to Pasco with an eastbound flight, while retaining the PDX service that I can guarantee the Pendleton locals DO NOT want to disappear (hence the fuss that was raised when QX announced they were discontinuing PDX service in favor of nonstop SEA flights, so much so that Horizon decided to split flights between Portland and Seattle to make the locals happy).

FATFlyer

Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:02 pm

Golden Gate, Horizon, United, Cascade,SwiftAire (Immediately after Golden Gate collapse, operated the former GG flights out of BOI as WI for a short time.)

Hhhmmm. Golden Gate had purchased Swift before GG ceased ops. I think Swift became part of GG in 1981 and GG ceased ops about 6 months later. Are you sure it wasn't aircraft in SwiftAire livery operated by GG?
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

N1120A

Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:40 pm

Quoting GentFromAlaska (reply 17):
Delta has flown a few CRJ charters to Juneau over the years.

The real service, however, was the ex-Western run LAX-SEA-JNU-FAI with a 722. They downgraded it to summer only and then not at all. One of the reasons was that they were less likely to hit JNU in the fog than AS was as they did not want to have to divert to somewhere like Sitka, Yakutat, Haines, etc. and would only shoot 2 approaches before heading on to SEA for fuel reasons.

Quoting AS739X (reply 26):
Let talk about the 757 thing. Lets start with LAX,SFO,ANC. These three airports had/have no gates to accom. the 757.

Given that T3 at LAX used to take 747s from TW, and not all of them were on the otherside, I would think AS could park 757s at at least some of their gates.

CRJ200Mechanic

Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:51 pm

Quoting CanadianNorth (reply 3):
think Horizon is fairly big (what do they fly now, Dash-8-200s, Dash-8-400s and CRJ700s? Did I miss anything?),

They fly the 200 too
Always remember the responsibilies you hold with an A&P license

N1120A

Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:55 pm

Quoting CRJ200Mechanic (reply 40):
They fly the 200 too

No they don't, the only RJ they fly (smartly) is the CR7.

AirlineBrat

Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:07 pm

And for the history buffs.... Horizon used to fly the Dornier 328's in the mid-90's. I flew on one between EUG and PDX a couple of times. They also flew the tiny Fairchild Metro's in the 80's and 90's.
I'm leavin on a jet plane. Don't know when I'll be back again....

sprxUSA

Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:42 pm

FATFlyer,
No, because I remember a news story stating that after Golden Gates demise, at the end of the story, the reporter said that after Golden Gate, Swift Aire was here to stay. I found it funny that it lasted less than a month or so.

I just found a newspaper clipping that was enclosed in 'Swift Aire Lines 1969-1979 The History of an American Commuter Airline' from Sep 21,1981 from WSJ.

" Swift Aire Lines, a California commuter airline controlled by financier Justin Colin, suspended operations late last week because of mounting losses.
Swift, which provided air service to such small towns as San Luis Obispo, Santa Maria, Bakersfield, Modesto, and Merced, had assumed some routes from another defunct airline, Golden Gate Airlines, just last month. Golden Gate was also a part of Mr. Colin's commuter airline empire.
As with Golden Gate, Swift cited mounting losses as a result of the air controllers' dispute and subsequent drop in passenger traffic.Mr. Colin couldn't be reached for comment.
Meanwhile, a disagreement erupted over control of Air Oregon, an airline in which Mr. Colin has a disputed interest. According to published reports, Mr. Colin attempted to close down Air Oregon, but 13 investors who dispute his interest in the airline continued its operation."

Plus, I doubt any of the planes that made it up here were repainted. The only sign that WI flew here is at the UA check-in counter at the gate, they had a GG sign that had a WI sticker placed over it.

It seems Mr Colin was one clASSic individual!!
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"

spirtofalaska

Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:17 pm

Quoting RWA380 (reply 25):

Touching on everyone's discussions on PDT, I would DEFINITELY have to agree on the boi-pdt service, I just moved from La Grande, which is 50 miles east of Pendleton, and MAN when people can afford it, PDT is definitely the way to travel, Way easier than driving the 3 1/2 hours to Boise, 2 to PSC, or PDX. I know it would be successful! Or..At least, IM pretty sure it would be. I know PDT residents as well as La Grande residents would agree!
you fo'Coffee?

RWA380

Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:06 am

Well history buffs, Horizon also used to fly F-27's and F-28's, and once again on the PDT thing, I used to live in Hermiston, and let me tell you, there are very few people who would have paid the fares QX was asking for the PDT-BOI run when they operated it, except when you were in mid-drive between one of these spread far apart places, and then somehow, you would wish you had paid the ransom and flown instead of being on 84 for yet another mind numbing drive. If, PDT was served by a carrier that kept fares reasonable you may find more air traffic, but PDT is only 1 hour away from PSC and 3.5 hours to BOI or 4 hours to PDX by car, so to expect much if anything in regards to air service out of PDT is a dream, QX did fly BOI-PDT at one time, and I suppose they would have continued if the $$ was there, when I lived in Hermiston, most folks were ok with the drive to PSC to get jet service and direct services to BOI and SLC. PSA also offered lift out of PSC to the bay.
on Bae-146 jets and they also served YKM.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

CRJ200Mechanic

Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:11 am

Quoting N1120A (reply 41):
No they don't, the only RJ they fly (smartly) is the CR7.

I could have sworn that they purchased the 200 as well. I checked their website and you are right. my apologies
Always remember the responsibilies you hold with an A&P license

FATFlyer

Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:05 am

SprxUSA,

Thanks for the info. I either didn't now about that or had forgotten. I'll have to check my clippings.

I like the Swift book, bought a copy when it was published. The book provides a good overview about the early years of a small airline.

Justin was an interesting man. No denying he had a large impact on the regional industry in the west in the late 70s and early 80s. Don't forget it all started with him buying Gem State, moving it to Monterey and changing the name to Golden Gate. But the Gem State livery confused some California passengers until it disappeared. "Gem? But its the Golden State."
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

N1120A

Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:16 am

Quoting CRJ200Mechanic (reply 46):
I could have sworn that they purchased the 200 as well. I checked their website and you are right. my apologies

No worries. They purchased the Q400 instead and have been really happy with that decision.

Quoting RWA380 (reply 45):
Well history buffs, Horizon also used to fly F-27's and F-28's,

It was not all that long ago that the F-28s left the fleet.

richie87

Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:23 pm

Horizon Air is absolutely one of the best airlines around... be it regional, national, or international. They have been around for a good many years, have endured and improved, and are by most realistic measures an excellent airline. I live in central Oregon and have a choice of them or the United Express alternative... I won't even consider anything other than Horizon and their affiliation with Alaska... who also does a superb job.

I travel on them often... have never been disappointed... or they have gone out of their way to make things right and on some instances gone way "beyond the call" so far as I'm concerned. And as a happy customer with them... I'm intensely loyal to the airline when I travel. The Horizon-Alaska freq flyer plan probably can't be beat by anybody else, either. The benefits last forever.... and they have NEVER screwed up on an account balance. That airline should be a real model for other carriers, I think.....  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos