Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Why No Non-stop LAS-OKC Service?

Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:20 am

Why is there no non-stop service from LAS to OKC? Even WN does not operate this route non-stop (it does operate two direct flights, with one stop enroute). I would have expected there to have been sufficient demand for a once-daily service at least.

uadc8contrail

RE: Why No Non-stop LAS-OKC Service?

Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:49 am

Allegiant Air flies 4x weekly from LAS-OKC, Im surprised that WN does not fly n/s between those 2 cities.But allegiant has done a good job of going into secondary markets where no one else has.

Okie

Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:59 am

Allegiant Air flies on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays

www.allegiantair.com

Okie

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:02 am

Ahhh, it wasn't on Amadeus.net. Sorry.

ssides

Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:12 am

I too am a bit surprised that WN doesn't fly this route, especially because they fly LAS-MAF, LAS-AMA, LAS-LBB, and LAS-TUL. I'm sure there's some good reason, however.

Interestingly, the interactive route map on Southwest.com shows an OKC-LAS nonstop, but if you try to look up the flight on its schedule, there is no non-stop.

legendDC9

Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:18 am

HP is starting LAS-OKC nonstop in June.

ssides

Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:30 am

Thanks for the info, LegendDC9 (great screen name, BTW)

Do you know if this new HP LAS-OKC service will be mainline or on Mesa RJs?

drerx7

Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:50 am

OKC use to be served via charters--my guess is they still do. Sun Country use to run DC10s on the route on behalf of Funjet Vacations back in the 90s.

legendDC9

Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:03 am

showing RJ service on the website, LAS and PHX

ouboy79

Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:11 am

Couple things...

Amadeus will not display flight information for a lot of smaller airlines and those that don't like anyone else - like Southwest.  Smile

Southwest has offered service on the route every now and then,typically just Saturday only. However, I have noticed several times over the last couple weeks on Flight Explorer - Southwest operating a flight to LAS from OKC.

As stated before...Allegiant does offer the service now 4x weekly on M80s. America West, through Mesa, will begin 1 daily flight with a CRJ-200...in addition to their 2 daily flights to PHX (CRJ-200 and CRJ-900). Also Champion does offer a flight to Vegas as well on a 727 currently.

In addition to Sun Country in the passed...Reno Air use to operate 2 daily flights to LAS - mainly because their mx was done by AAR at OKC and it was a way to rotate their fleet through. American took over this route through the merger and ran it for about a year until they killed it off. I have a friend in Ohio whose family actually connected through OKC, on AA, on their way to LAS.

flyiguy

Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:18 am

Southwest is showing on their website that LAS - OKC is a non-stop flight ???
So who's wrong ??

Just My 2 Cents
FlyIGuy

ScottB

Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:31 am

No one is wrong. Southwest will again offer Saturday-only nonstops between OKC and LAS as of June 11.

ejmmsu

Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:49 am

I hope that after WN's next expansion, OKC will get nonstop MDW, LAS, and BNA service. If WN were ever to expand from OKC, these seem like the most obvious choices.

The nonstop HP flights are only one a day, and like most of their LAS operations, they will go at night. The outbound doesn't leave OKC till after 10pm, and the inbound gets back after 2 am, if I remember correctly. However, an easy daytime connection can be made in PHX, but this is no better than WN.

RWA380

Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:56 am

Anyone remember Sunworld airlines on this route? DC-9-10's?

atrude777

Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:27 am

I too am shocked about no WN OKC-MDW, surely it could support it?
Alex

ejmmsu

Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:30 am

I have always thought the same thing alex. Right now, there are direct flights to MDW, but they stop in STL or MCI. I think that MDW-OKC would be started before any other route out of OKC will be.

ouboy79

Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:54 pm

Southwest has never exploited the OKC market. Yes they are a good sized employer...far from the larger ones here...thanks to the call center they have, but they have never really done much with OKC. The end result? Other airlines exploiting the market. Allegiant, Frontier, and America West are all the more recent additions to the airport. Northwest has added MSP and DTW the last few years, United brought in ORD about 5 years back, and American brought STL back after a year or so being gone.

Reality...Southwest is not pushing the market hard at all. American retains the title of king here followed by Southwest and then Delta. With Delta out of the Dallas market, only AA beefed up capacity. When AA dropped the 5 daily MD-80s to STL, Southwest cut back to just one flight a day - instead of adding capacity. Southwest is looking at other markets and OKC isn't going to wait around for them. Terminal capacity will be increasing by nearly 10 gates
and I really don't see Southwest expanding to more than the 3 gates they use now.

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:57 pm

Thanks for your replies.

I am surprised that WN will merely operate a once-weekly frequency, but I am confident, in time, that this will increase.

Why does WN not operate LAS-CLE and LAS-DTW? I realised LAS-DTW route is served by more airlines, perhaps resulting in lower airfares, but DTW is a very large city and the route could, PERHAPS, support another airline.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos