Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

scotron11
Topic Author

BA Plans Major Shake-up Prior To T5

Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:39 am

FT reports that BA is to make a major announcement signalling that its plan to cut employee costs by £300M ($598M) by March 2006 is proving impossible to meet.

BA will brief staff tomorrow about its latest 2 year business plan. It is expected to acknowledge difficulties in acheiving its cost cutting goals in the wake of cuts already made in the past 3 years. The £300M target is to become one of the reforms the carrier wants to have as part of their transfer to T5, which will begin operations in March 2008.

T5 will be occupied almost entirely by BA. It will be the first time in decades the carrier will be operating under one roof at LHR, and will provide a big advantage for transit pax on the BA network.

Using one terminal will also greatly reduce BA's costs, plus ease the movement of both pax and baggage and reduce transit times.

BA has cut its mainline workforce by 13,000 jobs or 23% between Aug 01 and Mar 03.

Sometimes you can cut too much and hurt yourself! At least they're making money and moving in the right direction. Kudos to BA!!

VS74741R

RE: BA Plans Major Shake-up Prior To T5

Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:43 am

On average, how many aircraft does BA have on the ground at Heathrow at any one time? From what I have seen, there looks like a lot more BA aircraft on the ground than what T5 can handle.

Ozair

Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:16 am

T5 is huge, my brother-in-law was involved in construction of it and described it's enormity.

Quoting VS74741R (reply 1):
From what I have seen, there looks like a lot more BA aircraft on the ground than what T5 can handle.

I do agree with you though, I was at Heathrow over Christmas and the amount of Gates filled with BA, albeit small domestic A320 etc aircraft, was significant.

Any idea how many gates T5 will have in comparison to what BA currently use?

carduelis

Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:34 am

I can't give an exact answer, but . . .

Quoting Ozair (reply 2):
I was at Heathrow over Christmas and the amount of Gates filled with BA, albeit small domestic A320 etc aircraft, was significant.

Reason for that is that there are no UK domestic flights on Christmas Day.

scotron11
Topic Author

Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:57 pm

Quoting Ozair (reply 2):

Any idea how many gates T5 will have in comparison to what BA currently use?

According to BAA, T5 will have 47 aircraft stands and 2 satellite terminals.

regards

richardw

Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:54 pm

Will they be looking at how the move went to Chek Lap Kok (HKG) by Cathay Pacific and perhaps getting advice from other consultants.

cornish

Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:08 pm

Quoting Richardw (reply 5):
Will they be looking at how the move went to Chek Lap Kok (HKG) by Cathay Pacific and perhaps getting advice from other consultants.

Maybe, but I suspect BAA will shift BA across, try and cram in as many new flights and airlines as possible into T4 and T1 to bring in extra revenue as soon as they can, instead of sensibly using a "one time" practical opportunity to use the extra space gained temporarily to completely renovate one or two of the other terminals (T2 anyone ?)

Speedbird2155

Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:30 pm

Quoting Scotron11 (reply 4):
According to BAA, T5 will have 47 aircraft stands and 2 satellite terminals.

I don't have the full info with me at present, but from what I do remember, it will be 47 stands with jetways and about 12 remote stands when the entire project is complete. The initial phase that will be ready for use will include the main terminal and one satellite concourse. The second concourse will be built later.

While this will provide BA with more gates to use, there are still plans for coaching arrivals and departures using the remote stands, at least in the initial stages, when only one satellite concourse will be available.

cornish

Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:39 pm

Quoting Speedbird2155 (reply 7):
don't have the full info with me at present, but from what I do remember, it will be 47 stands with jetways and about 12 remote stands when the entire project is complete.

I think I'm right in saying that some of the T5 remote stands are being used by T3 traffic at the moment - much needed as T3 has a big problem with a shortage of stands in peak times.

Speedbird2155

Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:53 pm

Just got this from the BAA T5 website:

No of aircraft stands with phase 1: 47
No of additional aircraft stands with phase 2: 60

unfortunately it doesn't give the breakdown of the jetways v the remote stands.

Quoting Cornish (reply 8):
I think I'm right in saying that some of the T5 remote stands are being used by T3 traffic at the moment - much needed as T3 has a big problem with a shortage of stands in peak times.

You are right, some the the remote stands that are complete have been used for some T3 aircraft, but mainly just to park them when not in use as opposed to coaching arrivals and departures.

skidmarks

Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:56 pm

Coupled with this marvelous news about mainline BA, BACX are to have a 22% manpower reduction. Not quite such good news!

Just goes to show how little people matter to the bean counters.

Andy

cornish

Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:58 pm

Quoting Speedbird2155 (reply 9):
You are right, some the the remote stands that are complete have been used for some T3 aircraft, but mainly just to park them when not in use as opposed to coaching arrivals and departures

Thanks for the info - thought I'd seen a few VS aircraft in particular parked at what I think are the new remotes.

VS74741R

Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:03 pm

Quoting Cornish (reply 8):
I think I'm right in saying that some of the T5 remote stands are being used by T3 traffic at the moment - much needed as T3 has a big problem with a shortage of stands in peak times

Yes you are right, they have opened up some of the terminal 5 stands for T3 traffic.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Youri Thonon - Contrails Aviation Photography

Ready4Pushback

Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:05 pm

What I find interesting, and it's something I asked before and didn't get a reply to, is that I had thought that T5 was the only terminal able to handle the A380, now they are moving BA there, and BA haven't bought any. I suppose Qantas will share it with them, and I suppose they may use some A380s into LHR.

Anyway, is that the case - is T5 the only terminal that can park an A380?

JGPH1A

Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:08 pm

Quoting Ready4Pushback (reply 13):

I believe BAA have built 2 or 3 A380-capable gates as an addendum to T3, on the northern end of the inner pier.

cornish

Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:11 pm

Quoting Ready4Pushback (reply 13):

Nope - T3 will have some gates for A380 operation. Just as well as most of the likely A380 users at LHR: VS, EK, SQ, QR, MH are T3 users.

Ready4Pushback

Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:32 pm

Understood. I just thought it was a bit ironic that BA will use T5 and they haven't got any A380s! It makes sense now.

Quoting Cornish (reply 15):
as well as most of the likely A380 users at LHR: VS, EK, SQ, QR, MH are T3 users.

Will all of these airlines continue to use T3? Who will use T4?

cornish

Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:41 pm

Quoting Ready4Pushback (reply 16):
Will all of these airlines continue to use T3? Who will use T4?

Good question. There's still a lot of discussion/speculation about what will happen at the other terminals. I don't believe anything is decided for sure yet, as there will no doubt be a lot of arguing over who goes where. there had been talk of a dedicated Star Alliance terminal (T1 or combined T1/T2).

I suspect though in the near term the initial A380 operators (with the exception of QF) will stay at T3 to make use of the A380 useable stands - perhaps moves may come at a later date if suitable stands are added at the other terminals. Initially of course there won't be that many A380 movements a day, so BAA may feel it is not justifiable to build special gates at T4 for example.

LHR27C

Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:55 pm

At present I believe there is just the one A380-capable stand on pier 5 of T3 (the recently renovated northern pier) equipped with dual level airbridge.

However BAA announced some time back that they intend to demolish pier 7 of T3 and replace it with a new pier with at least 4 A380 gates. There's no sign of work starting on that yet, but there's so much construction going on at LHR now as it is, I suspect it will be a later development.

New remote stands west of T3 are being brought into use all the time, infact they are being handed over from the builders ahead of schedule. The photo in reply #12 shows the new Delta taxiway stands and some further remote stands (Charlie taxiway?) have just been introduced as well. Both sets of stands line two taxiways running parallel north-south through the T5 site. Currently they are only about half finished and only accessed from the south. When finished they will link up to the northern inner and outer taxiways running alongside 09L. Satellite 2 will be between them. At present they are only used for remote parking, not as remote stands for pax to be coached to (quite a drive from T3 for one thing).

The most exciting new development at LHR right now is the new tower which is gradually being jacked up to its final height. It's on the northern end of pier 7.

Oliver

jsnww81

Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:45 am

I was at LHR this past weekend and there's a HUGE amount of construction going on at one end of T3. The oldest pier (I'm not sure which number it is, but it's the pier typically used by Turkish/SAS/Egyptair etc.) has been almost completely demolished and a large new structure is going up in its place. I was under the impression this would be the new A380-capable facility.

The new tower looks good. It's already about twice as tall as the old tower, and there's still several segments yet to be added. Now let's all cross our fingers and pray that BAA turn the old tower into an enclosed viewing gallery, and not another World Duty Free shop.

Ready4Pushback

Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:05 am

Quoting Jsnww81 (reply 19):
and not another World Duty Free shop

Excellent!

Anyway - speaking of viewing facilities and stuff, does anyone know if the visitors centre at LHR is worth visiting? what's there?

scotron11
Topic Author

Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:10 am

BAA aims to house all StarAlliance airlines in T1, starting in 2008 when BA & QF move over to T5. The rest of the OneWorld airlines will use T4 along with SkyTeam. SQ will be in T3 until 2009/2010 then move to T1. VS will stay in T3.

At least that is the latest from BAA.

JGPH1A

Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:12 am

Quoting Jsnww81 (reply 19):
Now let's all cross our fingers and pray that BAA turn the old tower into an enclosed viewing gallery, and not another World Duty Free shop.

It's outside the Customs Area, so I'm afraid it will have to become a Tie Rack. BAA policy requires that all unused floor space in all BAA property be converted into Tie Rack or Sock Shop retail outlets. Sorry.  Smile

LHR27C

Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:21 am

Lol, plans for the old tower are it will become a backup for the new.

The Visitor's Centre is worth a visit to learn a bit about LHR's history, plus there's a 777 mini simulator thing and tours of the T5 construction site on certain Saturdays. Also there is a rather distant and obscured view of 27R from the 1st floor. I usually take refuge there if it is bad weather outside when I am spotting  Smile.

Oliver

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos