Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

777STL

RE: Clapping On Landing....I Love It

Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:18 am

Quoting JAM747 (reply 47):
I see nothing wrong in applauding the crew when a plane lands. No matter what we do for a living it is always feels good when our customers/clients etc show their appreciation to us. Even though we were expected to do our jobs well. Simple kind gestures can go a long way in making someone feel appreciated. If you don't want to clap, don't, it is that simple.

Not that an airline crew doesn't deserve appreciation but do you applaud when your bus driver lets you off at a stop? Do you applaud when the kid at McDonalds hands you your food?

I can't think of a good word to describe what my view is on clapping. Strange or odd maybe, I don't know. If that's what floats your boat then do it I guess though I think there's better ways of showing your appreciation than clapping.

PHX based

legendDC9

Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:32 am

Quoting Mats (reply 7):
Lately, I've found that passengers will clap if the flight is badly delayed and finally lands.

That is so true, god loves the cynics.

The last one I remember was landing in FRA, the wind sheer was so strong, that sitting in a window seat in the back, I was lined up with the center line on touchdown! Then the captained pulled the nose to the right and landed safely. It was very impressive and everyone on board, terrified a second ago, we are cheering for landing.

JAM747

Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:33 am

RE 777STL REPLY
"Not that an airline crew doesn't deserve appreciation but do you applaud when your bus driver lets you off at a stop? Do you applaud when the kid at McDonalds hands you your food?
I can't think of a good word to describe what my view is on clapping. Strange or odd maybe, I don't know. If that's what floats your boat then do it I guess though I think there's better ways of showing your appreciation than clapping."

I do not mean that one has to show their appreciation in every situation by clapping. Applauding when a plane lands is just an appropriate way a group of people can together show their appreciation at the same time. Some might prefer a simple " thank you" at the door to the crew on the way out. The point is, nothing is wrong in showing gratitude to someone else if you think they deserve it.

bucky707

Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:53 am

"Not that an airline crew doesn't deserve appreciation but do you applaud when your bus driver lets you off at a stop? Do you applaud when the kid at McDonalds hands you your food?"

Hey, why not take it further? Why should I applaud a great play on the football field, or for an actor at the end of a play? Or when a fireman pulls a little kid from a burning building? I mean, after all, they were just doing their job, right?

burberry753

Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:00 am

my experience of clapping when landing has usually been on delayed flights. when me and my family went to YYz on one of TS's L1011's me and my cousin actually started the clapping!! then everyone else joined in and no one was even bothered about the 4.5 hour delay!!  Smile

mojo89

Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:02 am

Six years ago I was on a MAC flight from Okinawa to Seattle. Everyone on board clapped when we landed in SEA. Not because we were happy we landed, but because we were all happy to be home after a year overseas!
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

luisca

Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:03 am

The only time ive clapped after landing was in Cancun, I was travelling with a huge group of freinds for a graduation trip. we were like 30 and the flight was rather empty, so we where screeming and laughing the whole flight, it was great!
If it ain't Boeing (or Embraer ;-)) I ain't Going!

texdravid

Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:07 am

I experienced a lot of clapping during the 1970's when I flew back and forth on AI from India to the U.S. Flying I suppose was new and many passengers were novices at commercial flights.

The only time I see this now is when a bunch of high school kids on the way to some trip travel in a large group or as a "bronx" cheer when the plane lands after an extraordinary delay.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

sevenair

Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:12 am

and ive only had one flight-it was a 12 hour delay, on landing in PMI-i DC-10

it was actually!! well, AIH in those days!

Do you applaud when the kid at McDonalds hands you your food?"

I feel like applauding myself when ive actually managed to make an order an get what i want!! I was in london last week, and seriously, no exagguration, I had to point to what I wanted on the menu, the kid's grasp of English was so poor.  Smile

mariner

Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:20 am

StarlionBlue:

Quoting Starlionblue (reply 8):
And what exactly are your criteria for determining if it was a "bad" landing. Just because the pilots didn't grease it doesn't make it a bad landing. It may be a very good landing but feel rough to you.

I am the despair of my father, an aircraft engineer, because I have no idea what keeps planes in the air - less do I care.

So it is with landings. If it hits the deck hard, I don't like it, so I don't clap. If if is smooth as silk, then terrific, because the comfort of the pax should be one - note that I say "one" - of a commercial pilots considerations.

As in all things, a sense of humor helps.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

jonty

Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:33 am

I did once, just to be stupid though with my mates! it was on an easyjet flight from MAD to LTN, we cheered and everything! but thats what happens when you let students go on aeroplanes! But as someone said above, it adds a bit of colour to the flight!

Bobster2

Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:42 am

About half the people clapped on my recent CO flight to EWR. After about 15 minutes of rocking and rolling during an approach in gusty winds, the plane got punched by one final wind gust just as we were landing. I could the see the right wing dropping fast as we hit the runway on one wheel. For a brief instant, I was thinking to myself that landing on one wheel in a wind storm is probably not a good thing. But the other wheels slammed down so fast it wasn't like anything I had experienced before. Even after we stuck to the ground, it felt like the pilots were still fighting the wind as it tried to turn us around. As soon as people realized that we were not going to blow off the runway, they started clapping.
"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

sfointern

Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:44 am

I pass gas on landing.

JET1977

Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:49 am

I Flew on UAL#88 SFO-PHL on an A319( wish we flew on a 757.. sigh) on February25, the day of the Big Blizzard up and down the East Coast. It was pretty intense inside the cabin as we could not see outside, and when the gournd did come into view... it was all covered with snow. When the pilot rolled out safely... everyone started to clap. I liked it, it was a well deserved applause for them up front.

viasamsy

Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:01 am

There is always clapping when landing in Venezuela at least CCS, domestic and international flights. Sometimes lauder than others but at least one pax will. Although last time I landed in OGG there was a lot of clapping after a rough landing due to gusty winds and bad weather and as Sfointern there were a lot of people passing gas too, stress I guess  blush   yuck 
Cheers
Rebuild New Orleans!!!

AerlingusEI521

Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:22 am

As said above, it is true that the italians are known for this. For instance last time I flew BGY-BVA with FR and ORY-LIN with EZY, clapping occured.

I also remember clapping in 1998 when flying from CDG to DUB on a cityjet Bae 146... but it is rarer nowadays I think!

dreamer

Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:27 am

I agree with Mariner and a few others that clapping is a nice and cute thing to do. When I was young (gosh) I used to think it was silly and that only the novice flyers clapped. However now I miss it and after reading these posts I think I will try it on my next flight. I am going on a short domestic flight next week, and at touch down I will clap and cheer! I know I'll be the only one, but as someone said, I am a lover of aviation and everything around it, why not let it show.

Lets all re-instate this as touch-down custom! Who else is with me?
still dreaming after all these years

KFLLCFII

Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:27 am

Quoting Mika (reply 42):
A comment uncalled for i'd say. What would make "a russian plane" (how do you define that by they way, a russian airline or an A/C manufactured in russia?) any unsafer than a American/european? I assume that is what you are insinuating here.

Purely a joke  Smile I'd love to fly on a Russian airliner if I had the opportunity...
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

stealthpilot

Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:36 am

From what I have experienced in India at least is that people (sometimes) clap when the landing is really soft. I dont think people clap because the plane is on the ground, it's more of an appreciation when the pilots make a really smooth touch. Once on an IC flight from Delhi to Bangalore, I couldnt even feel the landing it was so good........ then people clapped.
-Nikhil
eP007

jfkaua

Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:24 am

there was a lot of clapping on my ord-lga flight on ua... But that was after being delayed for 6 hours... and landing in a snow storm... the clapping combined with the reverse thrust of the a320 on a snowy runway is pretty loud

AGrayson514

Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:56 am

My flight ATA 4337 MDW-SJU last week people clapped on arivall to SJU, but on the flight back to MDW (which appeard to be almost entirely spanish speaking passengers *spanish is my second language so it was fun*) but people started to clap when we landed but only a few and they stopped after like one or two claps. It was odd. I thought perhaps it was a latin america thing, but apparently not. I love it though, I was one of those people who clapped at MDW  Smile
Give a little bit...

777wt

Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:51 am

On AA in a 757 coming back from AUA to JFK in '97 at night, it did a greasy landing, no one felt the landing gear hit the ground, all I felt was the thrust reversers deploying and the brakes being used.

Everyone clapped on that flight. While I walked out of the aircraft, I saw an woman first officer that just came out of the cockpit with a pilot's hat.
That suprised me.

planespotting

Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:15 am

From what i understand, back during the Cold War, on a US Airline they would announce when they crossed from Soviet Airspace into Non-Soviet airspace and passengers would clap and cheer.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

UnitedTristar

Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:20 am

I was once on a UA 733 charter to a small GA airport which dosen't normally handle commercial airplanes, as a matter of fact we had to taxi on the second runway to the ramp. Anyhow, most passengers clapped when we landed...those of us who knew what was going on clapped when we stopped before the end of the runway Big grin

always thought that story was funny

-m

airplane 

PJ295

Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:24 am

I have only clapped one time on an airline flight. Last summer I was on a night flight from DEN to ATL on Delta. The flight was the captains last flight of his career. It was very cool....his family were all on board and the first class portion of the cabin was decorated for him. The whole plane broke out in applause upon touchdown because it was the last time he would ever land a 757. Coming in to the gate we taxied under an arch of water from two firetrucks. I must say it was a very cool moment.

SongStar

Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:40 am

In my first 6 1/2 yrs at delta i never once heard it....now at song....i hear it at least once or twice in a 2 day or 3 day trip....The first time I was so caught off guard....it's actually refreshing

ss

flysong.com

PSA53

Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:48 am

Flying in and out of GDL a lot,
you hear clapping a lot.I guess we
take it for granted where a lot of folks,
flying is rare item.
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

vs773er

Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:51 am

For me it was a Brittania flight, 752, STN to IBZ in '98. Not too sure why people, clap - what else where they expecting?
Communicating. Keeping up foreign relations...

IAH777

Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:52 am

Flying in and out of GDL a lot,
you hear clapping a lot.I guess we
take it for granted where a lot of folks,
flying is rare item.

Is that an attempt at Haiku? Big grin

I haven't heard applause for a landing in ages. I think I'd try to start a round of applause after a particularly rough landing, just as a dig for the Captain.  Smile

alb222

Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:54 am

Oh gosh, I forgot to clap when the traffic started to move on the freeway!!

I cannot understand the clapping.
Do we clap when:
1. We avoid an accident while driving?
2. We avoid almost getting run over by a car?
3. The damn gates go up after a 200 car freight train?
4. Our wife doesn't wreck the car? (well, maybe  Smile )

Seriously, is it the end of a play and the captain and first officer come out for bows?  Smile  Smile

rootsair
Topic Author

Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:56 am

Quoting Planespotting (reply 72):
From what i understand, back during the Cold War, on a US Airline they would announce when they crossed from Soviet Airspace into Non-Soviet airspace and passengers would clap and cheer.

I always thought they weren't allowed to nor any Western carrier; this explains why I wrote on a previous thread that AF had to fly CDG-NRT via Anchorage because of not being able to fly over soviet airspace
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

jfklganyc

Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:47 am

"Clapping on an airplane during landing has got to be the most bizarre form of human appreciation. Why would you clap during landing?!"

This is a BIZARRE statement. As an operations agent for an airline, I would think you can appreciate the skill that goes towards flying an airline.

Sure it's no computer crash, security scare, or irate passenger from a delayed flight . . . BUT I WOULD SAY BRINGING A 50,000LB+ OBJECT THAT IS SCREAMING THROUGH THE AIR AT 150 MPH+ ON TO THE GROUND SAFELY AND STOPPING IT MIGHT, JUST MIGHT DESERVE AN HONORABLE MENTION.

Just a thought from a pilot.

airgeek12

Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:09 am

The only time I remember seeing people clap upon landing is on that one episode of AIRLINE when it is the WN pilot's last flight.

SpringbokUSA

Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:22 am

It was a great experience returning home after a year. Touched down in CPT early morning (perfect summer morning) with the sun rising in a packed South African 747 nonstop from Miami - probably the greatest feeling ever - lots of cheers and clapping after a perfect flight and a perfect landing - something you will never forget!

airgeek12

Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:29 am

I'm noticing a trend here with South African Airways and clapping...

emiratesa345

Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:39 am

I clap when the bus pulls up to the bus stop.  cheerful 

I've noticed that on European Airlines that I've flown, people always clap. However on Canadian airlines, you only hear the odd clap coming froma couple people, one of them usually being me.

Mark
You and I were meant to fly, Air Canada!

nwafflyer

Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:41 am

Hey, I don't clap when we land, but I have sent e-mails to the airline congratulating the crew when the landing is particularly hard -- i.e., storms, snow, winds, etc. Then, the airline needs to know that the crew of flight xxx did a terrific job

JU101

Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:13 am

Clapping is still very customary when arriving in Belgrade, Serbia, particularly on international flights with JAT. I hope that this great tradition would be adopted in Canada or USA!

I have a funny story about this actually. On my last Boeing 727 flight with JAT, the landing in Belgrade was so smooth that we never even felt the touchdown. The passengers started clapping once the plane slowed to start making its turn off the runway! It was quite a pleasant experience.

Cheers

B767400ER

Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:27 am

It's surprising that some of you guys think that clapping when a plane lands is bizarre and somewhat stupid behavior. Why is that? I don't think it's bizarre at all. Granted there hasn't been much clapping on landings for a while but I did experience it again recently on a flight to LAX. It's just showing appreciation to the crew for a good job. So what if the pilots can't hear it, who's not to say a flight attendant wouldn't make mention of it as they deplane? And yes, we expect the pilot to land us safely but does that mean silky smooth landing and silky smooth landing only? As long as I'm not dead, it's a good landing. If the pilot can get us off the ground safely, it should be REASONABLY expected the pilot can get us down safely. And no, I don't applaud my bus driver or taxi driver when they arrive at my destination but at the same time, parking a bus/car is so miniscule in comparison to landing an aircraft. Besides, if parking a bus/car warranted applause, those drivers should probably have their licenses revoked. I remember flying to/from Hawaii when I was younger the passengers would always be clapping upon landing, EVEN RETURNING TO LA.

Bottom line, applause upon landing is a kind gesture to the crew for a job well done.

Thanks -B-
your exits are here, here, here, here...

AsstChiefMark

Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:30 am

I only clap when we take a couple of bounces on landing. Or when I can clearly see the centerline while sitting in 16A. Now that warrants a good round of applause and a few whoops and hollers!  cheerful 

Unfortunately, the rest of the plane is often gasping and letting out shrieks (and looking at me).

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

gkpetery

Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:46 am

The only time that I've clapped on a plane was on a China Airlines flight from TPE-BKK and the pilot did 3 sudden drops before and 3 bounces on the ground before landing. A bunch of Taiwanese students who have never flown were with me and we they thought they were going to die. It was a hoot scaring them to death.... they clapped when we landed... I joined in.... actually... quite hilarious to watch.

alitis

Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:49 am

Standard practice on OA long haul flights!

Simong

Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:51 am

Biggles, your *if I get the whole can* statement was great !!!

Some people around here need to lighten up ! If people want to clap on landing ..... all the power to them. It is nicer than a cabin full of *stone* faced people go tearing up the aisle and jet bridge as if their pants were on fire. There is not much fun or dignity left in flying these days ..... hardly anyone bothers to dress up or make it special in any way. Its great to hear a round of clapping after landing .... as rare as it may be, at least it shows a teeney weeney bit of humanity instead of the sound of 150 cell phones being turned on !
BA all the way !!!

JrMafia90

Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:00 pm

I love when they clap. But sometimes they don't always clap.

aa777jr

Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:02 pm

RootsAir,

My parents have a flat in LIS and everytime I've been to visit or stay there the passengers clap when we landed. I started doing it too.  Smile

Regards.
A liberal is a man who is right most of the time, but he's right too soon.

Starlionblue

Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:11 pm

But sometimes they don't always clap.

I read this three times and it still makes no sense  white 
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

BHMNONREV

Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:24 pm

Quoting TriStar500 (reply 2):
In Germany, it used to be very common on charter flights in former times (until about the mid 1990's), i.e. on flights with a relatively high number of inexperienced and infrequent flyers. In recent years, this habit has virtually dissapeared for good

I flew on a Condor 727 charter FRA-PMI in '79, and upon landing the entire cabin burst into applause. Scared the crap out of me, have never seen it repeated since.....strange

ab1247

Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:00 pm

Quoting Simong (reply 92):

Some people around here need to lighten up ! If people want to clap on landing ..... all the power to them. It is nicer than a cabin full of *stone* faced people go tearing up the aisle and jet bridge as if their pants were on fire. There is not much fun or dignity left in flying these days ..... hardly anyone bothers to dress up or make it special in any way. Its great to hear a round of clapping after landing .... as rare as it may be, at least it shows a teeney weeney bit of humanity instead of the sound of 150 cell phones being turned on !

Right on Simong!

I don't understant why some of you have a problem with people expressing their sincere thanks to a crew that has tended to them on a flight (obviously generally longer than just a few hours). It is a sign of appreciation, of class, of panache! If you don't have that sense of class, I suggest you sit in your little aircraft seat and sulk until you turn green! These are the little touches that remind me of that good old flair of flying which has left us almost completely.

alphonze

Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:19 pm

I've found applause on landing to be common, even today, in two situations:

1) The EasyJet Luton-Amsterdam Friday night flight, full of overexcited and drunk Brits off for a weekend of debauchery and good smokin'; and

2) Any Cebu Pacific flight at all.

Last time I heard it out of these contexts was on a CX 777 from MNL to HKG, landing in the tail-end of a typhoon. The descent was pretty rough and I think the applause was well-earned.

apollo13

Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:22 pm

Man i remember when the marching band i am with at my High school went to paris, France a couple of years ago. When the Delta flightlanded, not only were we clapping, but hooting and hollerin as well. I guess we were just sooooo happy to finallly get there after a 6 hour layover in JFK  Wink

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos