Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lnglive1011yyz
Topic Author

Transport Canada Concerned With Jetsgo?

Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:45 am

Folks,

Please don't flame me, as this is going to be done from memory --

Today, I heard on 680news in Toronto, that Transport Canada is very concerned with Jetsgo and their maintenance practices, as well as some of their operational practices.

From what I understand, the comments from Transport Canada are regarding the recent engine failure at YYZ last week, and how Jetsgo failed to report it until several hours after the accident, as well as some other "operational issues" of recent.

Does anyone have any more information?

I'm actually afraid that my suspicions and fears about Jetsgo may be true..

However, before I overreact, I'll wait until I hear more on it.

1011yyz
Pack your bags, we're going on a sympathy trip!

A332

RE: Transport Canada Concerned With Jetsgo?

Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:47 am

An interesting article on some of Jetsgo's current issues:

http://www.metronews.ca/reuters_business.asp?id=60705

I give this airline another couple of months before it shuts down completely, and I for one will not shed a tear. Enough is enough!

I wish all the employees the best of luck out there.
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

yul332LX

Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:09 am

Canada Identifies Jetsgo Shortcomings

Quoting Lnglive1011yyz (Thread starter):
I'm actually afraid that my suspicions and fears about Jetsgo may be true..

They are...

WS had similar problems years ago and had to shut down for 17 days. Will SG have to do the same? They probably wouldn't survive this...
E volavo, volavo felice più in alto del sole, e ancora più su mentre il mondo pian piano spariva lontano laggiù ...

lnglive1011yyz
Topic Author

Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:24 am

YUL --> I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not? hahaha

It's so hard to distinguish on here --

What were the facts surrounding the WS 'shutdown'? -- Problems with MX and Operations?

Thanks!

1011yyz

AC_B777

Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:28 am

A couple of weeks ago, one of SG's MD-80's had an engine failure in YYT as well. I'm not sure if it happened during taxi for takeoff or while on its takeoff roll.
It was grounded for about a week until repairs could be made. I guess that action cost a little $$.
In life, some days you are the bug..... some days you are the windshield!

frmyqr

Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:30 am

As a result of that landing incedent in YYC wasnt their licence to fly above FL280 revolked? or am I way off base?
i'm from regina. Heard of it?

lnglive1011yyz
Topic Author

Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:32 am

Frmyqr,

Could it be that they do not have the required equipment for the new Separation Minima that just came into light? 1000ft verticle/horizontal separation?

I know the DC-9 is limited too..

1011yyz

CanadaEH

Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:28 am

lnglive1011yyz:

"On Sept. 17 1996, Clive Beddoe and his colleagues shut down the airline voluntarily after Transport Canada refuses to let it continue operating under an aircraft maintenance programme the government agency earlier approved. 17 days later Westjet was relaunched to great support from the public." - "Flightpath"

Having deep pockets at the outset was very, very important for the success of WestJet, particularly with what happened in September of 1996 with Transport Canada.

Six months into its formal lifespan, on the eve of its first annual shareholders’ meeting, the airline underwent an audit and was grounded, courtesy of some Transport Canada bureaucrats.

IT WAS TERRIBLE,” SAYS TIM Morgan. “I mean, how do you stand up in front of a
shareholders’ meeting and tell them we are grounded, whether it’s through our fault or somebody else’s fault? The people who invested money in the airline, the employees, everyone is looking at you, and you have to tell them, ‘we’re grounded.’”

“But we did do some things right,” continues Morgan. “Clive shut the airline down. We weren’t going to win this battle. We had to take a tack that was going to work, not one where we would beat our heads against the wall. Shutting the airline down was the only way to do it. And you know, we didn’t lay off one person. Every one of the employees came into the office and helped resolve the issue. Some people worked 24 hours a day. And that year, starting with that, having the airline shut down for several weeks, within a month and a half, we had our full load back up.” At the end of the year, profits were higher than projected, “and we gave it all back to the employees. Those are some of the things that other airlines would never ever do.”

The issue was a variance between WestJet and Transport Canada’s “opinion” regarding operating procedures and maintenance manuals. Transport Canada claimed “we were not operating in accordance with our operating manuals on maintenance,” says Fridhandler.

“We had a significant difference of opinion regarding the interpretation of these manuals, which had all been pre-approved by Transport Canada, and we were operating in accordance with them, and their local people had seen them, so this was the first audit of the airline, six months after starting, and all of a sudden—major issues. And I don’t think at any point in time there were any public safety risks associated with this, but the thing just went from bad to worse and off the rails. And Clive was left with very little choice but to say we were not going to operate for ten days, or until we resolve the issue.”
- Airline Cowboys http://www.bdplaw.com/Customer/BDP/B.../AIRLINE%20COWBOYS.PDF?OpenElement

Jetsgo's issue, I believe, is entirely different than Westjet's. I hope for the sake of anybody travelling on Jetsgo that TC shuts it down the second it finds anything that puts the safety of the public in jeopardy.
EH.

Hardkor

Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:51 am

Is there no concern on the part of Transport Canada for Air Transat's recent rudder problem?
Hardkor

BWIA330

Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:10 pm

Im sure they do Hardkor,

But atleast Air Transat has the balls to admit things to transport canada. Jetsgo has had to many incidents over the past 3 months which may lead to one huge one.

Regards,

BWIA330

captaingomes

Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:45 pm

Maybe I should use my Jetsgo credit soon, before it's worthless  Smile
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

CanadaEH

Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:17 pm

Maybe you should hold onto that credit and fly an airline that cares about your safety.  Wink
EH.

bennett123

Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:50 pm

Which aircraft had the incident at YYC.

AirGAbon

Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:11 pm

I'm working for a SPC who owns their planes and they failed to pay some rentals. Maybe we're going to repossess and seize some aircraft.

captaingomes

Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:22 am

AirGabon, can you give more info?

Bennett123, the aircraft was the MD-83 with the Master Card on it. I'm too lazy to check the registration right now.  Smile

Brandon, you are mean! Be nice to the Jetsgo folks on here! They're a nice bunch  Smile
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

frmyqr

Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:38 am

Mastercard Livery is C-GKZD,

BWIA330

Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:45 am

It's RYH is the MD with the mastercard on it.

Regards,

BWIA330

C-GKZD is a Fokker 100.

frmyqr

Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:45 am

I knew I'd find something on Jetsgo not being allowed to fly above FL280:

In late January, a Jetsgo plane landing at Calgary International Airport skidded partly off the runway and hit a sign, prompting a safety board investigation.

And last month, Transport Canada revoked an operating certificate, forcing Jetsgo to run its flights at lower altitude, which is less efficient for fuel consumption. That certificate has yet to be reinstated.

Just before Christmas, Jetsgo faced thousands of angry passengers left stranded amid flight cancellations in a Toronto winter storm.

The federal Air Travel Complaints Program received 160 complaints in 2004 about the airline, more than triple the number lodged in 2003.

and the:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../DEBRIS08/TPNational/?query=jetsgo

yul332LX

Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:03 am

Quoting CanadaEH (Reply 7):
Jetsgo's issue, I believe, is entirely different than Westjet's. I hope for the sake of anybody travelling on Jetsgo that TC shuts it down the second it finds anything that puts the safety of the public in jeopardy.

Agreed. ... but even if TC does not shut down SG, some issues remain difficult to ignore at this time.

Quoting AirGabon (Reply 13):
I'm working for a SPC who owns their planes and they failed to pay some rentals. Maybe we're going to repossess and seize some aircraft.

Tell us more about it. You're talking about MD83s, right?
E volavo, volavo felice più in alto del sole, e ancora più su mentre il mondo pian piano spariva lontano laggiù ...

wjv04

Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:02 am

Frmyqr, 1011yyz

In Jetsgo's defence (why I would even say that im not to sure, because I really do just flat out feel sorry for the airline) but our (Westjet) -200s dont meet RSVM requirements nither.

Nuno... Your always welcome on WS buddie!!

captaingomes

Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:45 am

lol, thanks Shane! I've enjoyed my flights on WS so far.

Regarding Jetsgo and RVSM, it has nothing to do with the aircraft's capabilities. After Transport Canada's audit, some deficiencies were found in the manuals and procedures which needed to be addressed. I'm sure it's hurting them a bit on their longer flights, but shorter flights will not be affected that much.

frmyqr

Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:06 am

hehe i hadn't realized that an F100 had a MC on it. My bad!

Olympus69

Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:38 am

Hi Nuno,

Quoting Captaingomes (Reply 10):
Maybe I should use my Jetsgo credit soon, before it's worthless

I guess your Jetsgo credit is the same as mine - relating to their cancelled YYZ-YUL flight last October 30th. With all the recent negative publicity that Jetsgo is getting lately I am seriously considering writing off the $120 or so. I really don't want to go anywhere right now and if I wait a couple of months it may be too late.

John

lnglive1011yyz
Topic Author

Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:43 am

Quoting WJV04 (Reply 19):
In Jetsgo's defence (why I would even say that im not to sure, because I really do just flat out feel sorry for the airline) but our (Westjet) -200s dont meet RSVM requirements nither.

WJV --> Granted and agreed. If you read what I originally put, I was sure that it was a restriction placed on all older aircraft without certain equipment.

Now, that being said, *I* would not put myself on an airline who was having operating certificates taken away, restrictions put on flight levels and showing lacklustre maintenance.

Before all the Jetsgoers say anything, I'd do the same thing for *any* airline showing the same thing. Considering the size of their fleet, it's not a great thing when you have 3 or 4 separate planes involved in rather disturbing (but not unlikely) failures.

1011yyz

AirGAbon

Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:28 pm

I'm talking about MD83s and as you know now, Jetsgo ceases operations.
It's really sad.
We knew that their financial situation was a difficult problem to solve for them.

canuckpaxguy

Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:01 pm

It's Friday morning....I just heard that Jetsgo has been GROUNDED.
Did you use your credit yet Nuno?

G

[Edited 2005-03-11 13:03:18]

airplay

Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:26 pm

I just tried to post to a Jetsgo thread and it disappeared....strange.

Anyway, Jetsgo has been grounded (finally). Aviation in Canada is a bit safer and overall better.

Hopefully this will prevent pilots from "whoring" in the future.

lnglive1011yyz
Topic Author

Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:41 pm

Guys, give the mods a chance to figure out whast going on. The original post was deleted for some reason.

My secondary post was deleted as well -- they will let us know WHY.

Thanks!

1011yyz

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos