Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

timetables
Topic Author

Amazing Race 7 Aviation Continuity Issues

Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:11 pm

Please check out this blog: http://amazingraceaviation.blogspot.com.

gigneil

RE: Amazing Race 7 Aviation Continuity Issues

Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:31 pm

They have no intention for it to be continuous. Its stock footage, representing "air travel".

Clearly, when there's time, they film the relevant airlines. (LAN has been very central to the first two episodes). When they don't, they don't bother.

Nobody notices but us.

N

B747

Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:37 pm

They do show alot of stock footage, like the Asiana 744 landing at LAX, they have shown this footage on all the races since the very first one. I point out the discrepancies to my wife every week, but I bet you can all figure out what she tells me,(just shut up and watch the show).

They do a fairly good job with showing the correct planes, but I guess if you are a cameraman, and you are at say LHR, and you know they are on a BA flight you just shoot a BA plane not knowing what plane they are on.

Brin

timetables
Topic Author

Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:56 am

But you would think that since it is a race around the world they'd ensure that it is done right. This episode was rushed, so they cut a lot of the airport scenes. But you would think that someone is the aviation/travel consultant on the show and would get it together.

Now you can tell your wife that others are upset about the aviation aspect as well  Smile.

PA110

Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:04 am

Quoting Timetables (Reply 3):
But you would think that since it is a race around the world they'd ensure that it is done right. This episode was rushed, so they cut a lot of the airport scenes. But you would think that someone is the aviation/travel consultant on the show and would get it together.

OMG, you so need to get a life! It is a "reality" TV show (reality = producer invoked interpersonal drama). There is no "aviation aspect". It is totally irrelevant. It is simpy background to add to the drama. I can assure you that nobody other than a.nutters care what airline/aircraft/route they fly and whether or not that is depicted accurately on the show.

timetables
Topic Author

Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:09 am

Funny  Smile and a pity; but more than likely true. I can understand that for other reality shows; but they may as well stay in the US then rather than say they are going around the world if they aren't going to do it properly.

RWA380

Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:10 am

Last night at a function for Icelandair at the Fairmont hotel in San Francisco, I sat next to a lovely couple, who appeared on the amazing race several shows ago, it was the show where they transit Iceland on their way around the world, and they told me some very interesting things about the travel and the show. The travelers are equipped with transponders and go thru many weeks of tests, including psychological and physical, as well as terrorist and kidnapping training, they have many visas placed into their passports, however they are not all going to be used. The vaccinations are done with in 24 hours of departure and they are given mis-leading clues to throw them off.

timetables
Topic Author

Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:12 am

Interesting; the interviews on their site mentioned the vaccinations as well.

nycflyer

Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:25 am

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 6):
Last night at a function for Icelandair at the Fairmont hotel in San Francisco, I sat next to a lovely couple, who appeared on the amazing race several shows ago, it was the show where they transit Iceland on their way around the world, and they told me some very interesting things about the travel and the show. The travelers are equipped with transponders and go thru many weeks of tests, including psychological and physical, as well as terrorist and kidnapping training, they have many visas placed into their passports, however they are not all going to be used. The vaccinations are done with in 24 hours of departure and they are given mis-leading clues to throw them off.

can you tell us what couple they were?! The Iceland episode was the last one, it only ended a month ago. cool that you met them (but only sort of - most of the teams in AR6 sucked)

777STL

Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:37 am

Quoting Timetables (Reply 3):

Now you can tell your wife that others are upset about the aviation aspect as well  .

Yes and you must be under the impression that 99.9999% of the population actually cares.

RWA380

Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:45 am

They are, what would be deemed "the older couple" I believe while they were in Iceland she was climbing an ice wall, and even passed a 27 year old doing so, they were very nice people and it was a pleasure to speak with them.
One of the misleading clues was, one of the vaccinations they received was Japanese encephalitis and they thought to quickly learn some Japanese, had they researched more, they would have found this is only found in Sub-Saharan Africa.

Shamrock

Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:51 am

This is in response to PA110's comment, "There is no aviation aspect" to the Amazing Race.

Surely when we look at what the race is all about we actually find aviation to be a very major key aspect of the show/competition.

In fact a thorough understanding of airlines, routings, connection times as well as aircraft used can be a major factor in avoiding elimination!

Many times we see couples rushing to airports after being given their next destination. The more astute knowledgable get on the cellphone and make their reservation while seats are still available. BUT, where no specific airline/flight/routing has been specified then an understanding of good and bad multi-terminal airports for connections can be a lifesaver. (On two complete RTW trips I only ever missed one connection, at LHR!)

I won't even touch the area of wrong airlines/aircraft or impossible routings (for the time in question) being shown!

AeroWesty

Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:01 am

Quoting Shamrock (Reply 11):
I won't even touch the area of wrong airlines/aircraft or impossible routings (for the time in question) being shown!

Amazing Race is getting a lot better about this in the latest series. For instance, this week they showed the teams having to make two connections on the map to get to Santiago, one in Lima and one in Buenos Aires.

Last season when the teams flew from Xian to Honolulu, the map showed them flying via either Osaka or Tokyo, when the PNR visible on the agent's screen showed a routing first via Beijing and then onto Japan.

timetables
Topic Author

Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:09 am

See, that is my point. It is a show about traveling around the world; I think they should take a little more care about the aviation aspect. The aviation blunders in season 6 is what inspired me to start the blog. I think it is an insult to the viewers when they screw up like that.
Still can't figure out why they went AQP-LIM-EZE-SCL; if only to get the sponsored Aerolineas Argentinas in there.

Does anyone know if they get to take anything like a portable airline schedule program with them?

I really like the older couple in the lat episode, they were really nice people; glad you had a chance to meet them. Any other insights?

AeroWesty

Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:14 am

Quoting Timetables (Reply 13):
Does anyone know if they get to take anything like a portable airline schedule program with them?

In the last major thread on the Amazing Race, someone posted that as part of the rules, pocket OAG's and similar were banned from the race course.

timetables
Topic Author

Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:30 pm

Well that is bummer; but fair I guess. So since cell phones are allowed, just have a GSM tri-bnad phone and call your buddy who has a downloadable timetable product! LOL.

timetables
Topic Author

Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:49 pm

Last week they did not fly anywhere so no issues there; let's see what happens this Tuesday.
http://amazingraceaviation.blogspot.com.

[Edited 2005-03-21 07:23:04]

amhilde

Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:38 pm

But can I argue that the aviation aspect has been lessened in the last few seasons? I just rewatched all of TAR2 whilst on holiday ( yeah, i am a major nerd!) and when they had to come up from Rio and go down into Joburg I think it was- did THAT cause some problems. People were all over the place and the older ladies were the ones that got nailed at a LHR connection- something about having to go back through security which didnt make any sense ( if someone can figure that out please let me know- they came up from Rio or somewhere and were getting on the VS to SA and were denied boarding because they hadnt gone through security again, though how they would have been in the boarding area anyway for that terminal at LHR without going through security is a mystery to me)

Either that or the contestants ni TAR6 and TAR7 are really airport inept. Though its probably too early to call it on 7, aka The Rob Show *rolls eyes* Glad to see em in South America for once!

timetables
Topic Author

Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:19 pm

I did not see that series, but that does happen in LHR. You leave one terminal and then you have to go through a very long security line to get to the other side. I cannot remember what I was doing, but this did happen to me.

They don't show most of the airport scenes though; they just show them running and running out unless something "interesting" occurs; like getting bunped or something like that.

I do need to find the older episodes and watch them for the comedic avaition value or lack there of LOL.

timetables
Topic Author

Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:19 am

I've updated the blog with Tuesday's episode, so please check it out at http://amazingraceaviation.blogspot.com. More aviation mis-adventures.

Mexicana757

Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:19 pm

Oh lord, umm I think CBS could care less of what airlines are shown on what sectors. I think the camera man and production dont have the time to go film the correct aircraft on a specific route. This has been going on since the first Amazing Race. CBS is not going to waste film for something that is going to be shown for like 3 to 5 seconds.

nycflyer

Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:36 pm

Timetables - good for you. I'm the one guy who left a comment on your most recent posting. Keep up the good work.

F9Fan

Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:02 pm

Cell phones are banned from the race too, although you can borrow a cell phone from someone. Maps and guidebooks are also banned, although they can be purchased in route. Their bags are thoroughly searched before the race.

F9Fan

KaiGywer

Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:49 pm

Quoting F9fan (Reply 22):
Maps and guidebooks are also banned, although they can be purchased in route

Can you use an internet cafe and print off a timetable?  Wink

jafa39

Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:29 pm

Qouting Timetables post 5
"Funny and a pity; but more than likely true. I can understand that for other reality shows; but they may as well stay in the US then rather than say they are going around the world if they aren't going to do it properly."

They do go round the world properly, they just don't show the right planes or use the "expert" routes, I love flying and all aspects of aviation fascinate me but strewth! lighten up dude, it's entertainment, the world doesn't revolve around a.net.... oh god, don't cry, it isn't like i said there's no Santa Claus...

OzLAME

Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:12 pm

WHAT! THERE'S NO SANTA CLAUS? Seriously though, why single out TAR? How about Outback Jack? There was a shot of a tin shed in the middle of a sugar cane field with a C.208 parked next to it. Voiceover: Welcome to Sydney. COME ON! Then the C.208 takes off from the middle of the cane field and all the girls parachute out, that's OK, but in a later episode the same plane is shown flying the girls to Perth. Now, all the cane fields in Australia are on the EAST coast. Perth is on the WEST coast. It would be like suggesting that a bunch of girls got on a plane in Florida, parachuted out and somehow landed in eastern California or Arizona. The whole program was an utter fraud anyway.

Now I've had my little dummy spit I feel a lot better. By the way, ever notice how every aeroplane on TV sounds like a DC-3 and every helicopter sounds like a Bell 47?

CactusA319

Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:53 pm

Actually from what I heard going out on the airfield and filming the actual aircraft for every trip isn't as easy as one might think, given all the airside security issues. So CBS basically has to rely on a lot of stock footage. Outside of airliner geeks, nobody watching the show notices the discrepancies and if they do it's a minor detail to them so they just let it go.

I tend to watch shows like this and take note of the continuity erros but I don't make a big deal out of it (especially not to create a freaking blog about this subject, but to each their own). It's a given that the aircraft type/airline is a secondary issue to these producers. The only shows that get it right are Airport and Airline and that's because the central focus is actually on aviation.

timetables
Topic Author

Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:17 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 23):

I guess you can, but they perhaps don't have time to get on the Internet. They never tell us what they do at the pit stops; I know they eat and sleep...

timetables
Topic Author

Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:24 pm

Hey, you are correct, to each his own; hopefully CBS will get it together and improve the continuity in subsequent shows... I just think it makes a better show if they could get the details right; they may as well, just film it in a backlot in Hollywood then. And it does not take much to film airport footage; the producers visit the country before hand to set up all the stunts, so getting stock footage should be a part of that; I'm sure they have a travel consultant or an aviation consultant, or do they?

The update for Episodes 5 & 6 are posted at The latest update is all done at http://amazingraceaviation.blogspot.com/

schipholjfk

Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:43 pm

Quoting Timetables (Reply 28):
I just think it makes a better show if they could get the details right;

You must be kidding? Do you think millions of viewers other than airline enthusiasts like us care much about airlines, airports and whether it is Boeing or Airbus? They are only interested in the drama that all these reality shows present.

David T

Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:00 am

I have a question: I was under the impression that the race rules prohibited contestants from being given a business class and/or first class seat(s).

Why did we see in Tuesday's episode the couple that eventually were eliminated at the end, laid flat out in a premium class of service?

How did that come about and if that is still the rule but AR ran into some booking problems, so an upgrade was permitted, why edit the footage into the program?

FLY2LIM

Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:03 am

Quoting David T (Reply 30):
Why did we see in Tuesday's episode the couple that eventually were eliminated at the end, laid flat out in a premium class of service?

How did that come about and if that is still the rule but AR ran into some booking problems, so an upgrade was permitted, why edit the footage into the program?

Was wondering that myself, except that I was under the impression that they flew RG to Sao Paulo and I'm not sure what they flew to JNB, though they showed footage of a SAA 747 landing, which is not always reliable.

My question is, isn't there a direct flight from EZE to JNB?

FLY2LIM

Areopagus

Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:33 am

They are only allowed to buy coach class tickets. That evidently didn't stop the cabin crew from upgrading them on the plane.

The blog doesn't mention this discontinuity, but I seem to remember that they boarded a turboprop (ATR?), and the takeoff stock footage was a 737.

AeroWesty

Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:41 am

Quoting David T (Reply 30):
I have a question: I was under the impression that the race rules prohibited contestants from being given a business class and/or first class seat(s).

The rules only prohibit the contestants from buying a business or first class seat, not from sitting there.

The show had footage where Ray explained that he "worked it" during the flight for him and Deana to get off first, and there's a quick shot of one of the crew shaking his hand saying "I can get you off first" right before they're shown in the sleeper seats.

timetables
Topic Author

Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:40 am

New update posted today at http://amazingraceaviation.blogspot.com. It was actually just a review of the episodes so far.

timetables
Topic Author

Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:29 pm

New update posted. This week was crazy! It was hard to keep up.
http://amazingraceaviation.blogspot.com

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos