Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

yyz717

RE: Jetsgo Ceases Operations

Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:56 pm

Michel Leblanc is an entrepreneur who created jobs and travel options for Canadians. His airlines have never been subsidized by Canadian tax payers (unlike Air Canada). He is far from shady. I would place him closer to "hero" status. I hope he comes back a third time.

If it's only for a few days to help get stranded folks out of a jam, it might endear those guys to 'em down the road, and so help their own bottom lines in the long run though.

Sentimental nonsense. What guarantee is there that any stranded Jetsgo passengers that WJ flies for free will ever fly for WJ again? None! WJ and (apparently) AC are in business to make money, not act as shephards for wayward passengers of failed carriers.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

kfllspotter

Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:05 pm

Sad to see this airline go. Was always a welcome sight at FLL. I hope the SG employees will be able to find employment of this really is a total cease of operations and never to operate again.

ACDC8

Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:06 pm

Quoting Yyz717 (Reply 50):
I would place him closer to "hero" status. I hope he comes back a third time.

Wasn't this his third time? He had 1) JetsGo 2) Royal Airlines and 3) Inter Air (or something similar sounding)
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

yyz717

Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:12 pm

Ultimately, the flying public suffers MORE in the end from having a weak aviation industry than a strong one.

I agree. That's why I argued AC should have been liquidated.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

lymanm

Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:14 pm

I wonder how the recent maintenance issues/restrictions and what not were a factor. Were ther more TC restrictions/penalties to come? Massive fines? Grounding of the fleet?
buhh bye

yhz78

Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:19 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 52):
Wasn't this his third time? He had 1) JetsGo 2) Royal Airlines and 3) Inter Air (or something similar sounding)

Number 3 was Inter-Canadien and all 3 airlines were a joke. I've said it before and I'll say it again, ML just can't or won't run a proper airline!
Canada Rocks! From the west coast to the best coast!

avek00

Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:22 pm

"That's why I argued AC should have been liquidated."

I dare say that given its population size and traffic mix, at the end of the day, Canada cannot support more than 1.5 large airlines (even 2.0 large airlines are too much for the Canadian market). Air Canada and Westjet are about the most Canadians can hope for in terms of sustainable air service for the country.
Live life to the fullest.

RCS763AV

Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:27 pm

Poor people! I always liked to see Jetsgo tails in YYZ, what a pity.

gmonney

Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:31 pm

I have to say that its a shame that SG is gone, they got Canadian flying again after 9/11. Not many people wanted to fly and lots seeked other options, but with the reduced fares, it was almost cheaper to fly than take the train. We flew to SFB for $277 tax in back in January. I would say from door step to door step its around 2000km each way? Tack on $.25/km and its $1000 to drive? SG made it affordable for many people to travel. Its a shame that there are a lot that are stranded. All thats going to happen is that you will see the two other "major" players increase their domestic fare. It will not be easy to travel in Canada now, the $99 YYZ-YUL will be at $199 really soon! I am not sure if WestJet can blow the dust off the old -200's but I would assume they are next inline for the business out west?

I think this is the end of ML's airline ventures... oh and are some pilots out $30,000 still?

Grant
Drive it like you stole it!

lnglive1011yyz

Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:47 pm

Even tho almost every one of us has called into question Jetsgo's practices, I feel terrible for all the employees of this company --> My heart is with them.

As for Leblanc (Michel, the owner) someone stop this guy from starting another airline. He has proven time and time again that he just cannot do it.

As I say, flying from YYZ to YVR for .01$ (yes, 1 penny) one way, NO MATTER how high the return flight is, cannot be profitable. I don't care who you are.

1011yyz
Pack your bags, we're going on a sympathy trip!

pictues

Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:47 pm

Quoting Yyz717 (Reply 50):
Michel Leblanc is an entrepreneur who created jobs and travel options for Canadians. His airlines have never been subsidized by Canadian tax payers (unlike Air Canada). He is far from shady. I would place him closer to "hero" status. I hope he comes back a third time.

He is NO Hero, he has now killed 4 airlines

1)Inter-Canadian
2)Royal
3)Canada 3000, by lying to Keanear(sp?) and the rest of the C3 board about Royal's Finances
4)Jetsgo

Hopefully the next time Leblanc tries to start an airline the Canadian Transport Agency will not let him. He is the Frank Lorenzon of Canada. He has hurt the aviation industry, I've worked many Jestgo flights and most of them have not been full. I feel sorry for the employees and the passangers, but not for ML. and even if they are full a majority of the seats were probably seat sales.

md11dude

Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:01 pm

Im pissed, So whats the deal behind the "restructure".. are they totaly liquid or will they try to resum ops.
all the way MD-80!
dk
CP979

ACDC8

Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:29 pm

Quoting Lnglive1011yyz (Reply 59):
As I say, flying from YYZ to YVR for .01$ (yes, 1 penny) one way, NO MATTER how high the return flight is, cannot be profitable. I don't care who you are

Sure its not profitable, but at least you're taking away the customers from AC and WS! You're gonna loose money no matter what, might as well try to fight for as many pax as you can!

My opinion is though, that the aviation industry in Canada is an absolute joke, everyone is griping that its such a fiercely competive industry, sure it is! But from a customers point of view, there ain't no competition what-so-ever! The average oneway ticket for YVR-YYZ is around what, $199? Then CanJet pulls in and brings the fare down to $159 I think it was. What does AC and WS do? They match the price, sorry to me thats not competition! They should be offering a lower price, give me a reason to choose their airline! It seems to work in other countries, why doesn't it work here? Sure they're gonna loose money, but the airline who's pax you're taking away is gonna loose more!

Sorry, but I guess living in Europe for the last 5 years has spoiled me with the likes of Ryanair and EasyJet (and yes I know how aggressive they are). Last year I flew from Germany to Spain to France to Italy to Germany for less then $100 taxes included, I can't even get a ticket from YLW to YVR for that much!

I agree with Avek00. Canada cannot sustain more then 1.5 national airlines, we need them for the distances we have to cover, but we don't have the population to sustain it.

JetsGo was on the right track, they had a great team, but the wrong leader! My respect and sympathy to all employees of JetsGo, I wish you all the best!
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

ERJ170

Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:39 pm

So I guess that I will never be able to see these MadDoggs in RDU... I guess AC reigns supreme still....

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Muchswatch
View Large View Medium

Photo © Kevin Wachter

View Large View Medium

Photo © Will Fang - Contrails Aviation Photography

Aiming High and going far..

martinairyyz

Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:55 pm

Quoting Avek00 (Reply 45):
As someone who has a soft spot in his heart for Air Canada (and most North American legacy carriers generally), I find this to be a GOOD day for the Canadian airline industry - Jetsgo did little more than pollute the Canadian market with unreasonably low fares and excess capacity

What's wrong with low fares compared to AC's bogus crap? Some people need help.......... Maybe the next to go will be WS or in europe, Ryanair?!?
Chelsea Football Club supporter.

JAGflyer

Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:04 pm

Jetsgo is gone. I can't say I am sad for them. Sad for the pax flying for march break yes. Jetsgo was cheap and their service,planes and customer relations reflected it.
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

ricardofg

Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:25 pm

yea i created a post two weeks ago saying jetsgo wouldnt survive march, yet airliners.net pulled the post saying i was creating nonsense...go figure, way to go a.net

avek00

Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:46 pm

"What's wrong with low fares compared to AC's bogus crap? "

Low fares per se are not the problem - virtual seat giveaways are troublesome, however, and Jetsgo did little more than force Westjet and Air Canada to reduce fares to lower levels than the market would otherwise bear. Much like the short-lived National Airlines in the USA, Jetsgo functioned as a parasitic worm, feeding off traffic from established carriers by dumping excess capacity into well-served markets while making the Canadian airline industry as a whole weaker with unsustainable levels of discounting.
Live life to the fullest.

md11dude

Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:49 pm

arrghh! I wish Canadi>n was still here. Leads me to a question....Does AC hold rights to the CP name? Because, they really gotta come back!
CP979

AC_B777

Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:22 pm

Surprise surprise, Jetsgo is now JetsGONE!!
In all seriousness, I feel sorry for all the employees. I know all too well what it's like to lose your job and I wish all SG workers the best of luck.
Some people have big dreams, and LeBlanc is no different. His dream of having a Canadian carrier grew, but he made it happen too fast in an environment that is fragile at best. I guess it's another burst bubble.
Neil, for the love of God, give it a rest! You will always argue against AC, but guess what, they beat you! Go have a good cry under a tree or something! Then get over it.
In life, some days you are the bug..... some days you are the windshield!

Pronto

Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:27 pm

Ya, I feel sorry for the employees of Jetsgo, but an airline in Canada(or any country!!) is risky business. Add in some of the problems they were having, and you're playing with a loaded gun. I especially feel sorry for the March-breakers who booked their flights with Jetsgo - not everyone does research on an airline before doing this - they just look for cheapest fares. It was nice seeing the Mad Dogs with Canadian registrations...

nwaca

Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:36 pm

I would think it would be nice if AC actually helped out the stranded passengers on their return portions. Yes AC is here to make money--even if they gave some kind of standby fare--it's not like AC hasn't milked enough money from the government to survive as well. If they have the planes going anyhow and they have empty seats, why not give something back to the flying public? After the mess in YYZ with their walkout, I would think they would want any kind of good publicity they can get right now.

YOWguy

Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:36 pm

I feel sorry for the employees and pax of Jetsgo....

It is too bad that Jetsgo could sustain the cheap fares...but with the fuel prices so high, you can't break even at .01 flights. Too bad , because I thought finally we would have cheap fares like they do in Europe. I flew BMIbaby in April for 28 pounds ...$68cdn..same distance going YOW to YYZ. Can't get that here!

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 62):
Canada cannot sustain more then 1.5 national airlines, we need them for the distances we have to cover, but we don't have the population to sustain it.

If you read Robert Miltons book, he says that Canada couldn't support two legacy carriers...because there isn't the traffic across this country. I guess that applies to lcc as well. Hopefully with the new rj for AC, prices will be a little better....

AC_B777

Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:48 pm

Nwaca,
Do you have proof the AC has "milked" money from the government? As I recall, AC did not seek any money from the govmt nor did the govmt offer any money to help AC. Don't make comments like that if you don't have to proof.
Also, I agree, AC should help SG pax, but not if it means a loss for AC. We don't have any obligation to take standed pax just to help them out. I think we should offer them some kind of pricing, but not if it means losing money ourselves.
Also, IF we have empty seats. There are many flights that will not be empty. In that case, I guess they will have to wait.
In life, some days you are the bug..... some days you are the windshield!

A332

Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:51 pm

The nightmare is finally over! Perhaps now we can see some profitability from those airlines who still remain today.

Best of luck to all employees of Jetsgo.
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

FLYACYYZ

Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:18 am

YOWGuy:

Quoting YOWguy (Reply 72):
I flew BMIbaby in April for 28 pounds ...$68cdn..same distance going YOW to YYZ. Can't get that here!

Effectively from a fare point of view domestically, AC offers competitive low cost fares. The current lowest internet fare (Tango) YOW-YYZ is $69.00 CAD. Like every other airline, the lowest fares are based on availability. My bro recently booked a BMI web fare within the UK, and the prices on the same route ranged from UKL 11.00 - 129.00.
Above and Beyond

briboy
Topic Author

Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:20 am

Looks like Air Canada is offering inexpensive fares for SG passengers:

Update: Air Canada Provides Information for Jetsgo Ticket Holders

MONTREAL, March 11 /CNW Telbec/ - Following the sudden grounding of
Jetsgo operations, Air Canada provides the following update for Jetsgo ticket
holders:
"We are committed to doing all we can to help travellers affected by the
sudden grounding of Jetsgo operations," said Montie Brewer, President and
Chief Executive Officer. "We will make our last remaining seats in economy
class available for purchase at Air Canada's low one-way fare levels.

full release...

and CanJet

"CanJet offers help to stranded JetsGo customers"

HALIFAX, March 11 /CNW/ - CanJet, Canada's low-fare airline, says it will
do everything possible to fly stranded JetsGo passengers to their intended
destinations.

full release...

As well, WS is flying stranded SG staff home at buddy pass fares...

WestJet Assists Jetsgo Crews

CALGARY, ALBERTA--(CCNMatthews - March 11, 2005) - WestJet (TSX:WJA)
today announced that it is offering $35 standby fares (plus all
applicable taxes and fees) to stranded Jetsgo crews including flight
attendants, pilots and maintenance personnel. This standby fare will be
available until Sunday, March 13, 2005 at 12:01 a.m. MST.

full release...

/Brian
next up: YYC, SFO, SYD, AKL, WLG, CMB, BKK, SIN, FRA, VCE, JFK

Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:23 am

"Happy days are here again
The skies above are clear again
Let us sing a song of cheer again
Happy days are here again
Altogether shout it now!
There's no one who can doubt it now
So let's tell the world about it now
Your cares and troubles are gone;
There'll be no more from now on
The skies above are clear again
Let us sing a song of cheer again
Happy days are here again!"

Ah, oui, Happy Faces everywhere today, well, not in the air, but I hear there are many a happy face at the Westjet corporate headquarters.

Goodbye and Good Riddance, Michel, and close the hangar door behind you on your way out. If Transport Canada has any brains, they'll change the locks. Leblanc should never, ever have been granted a license to operate, given the Royal Airlines safety issues.

My airline shut down in 1990, and I would not wish that hell upon anyone. My beef is not with the Jetsgo employees, whom I wish well, and hopefully each will find employment soon, but I was never, ever a fan or supporter of Jetsgo or Michel Leblanc and the highly questionable manner in which he ran his carriers.

Some here hail Michel Leblanc as a 'hero' and 'great businessman' give me a Goddamed friggin break. Oh yes, Michel Leblanc is quite the civil aviation entrepreneur - he knows how to run an airline - straight into the ground.

I am not sorry at all to see this atrocious carrier gone. Not at all. As a matter of fact, I am thrilled and happy Jetsgo is no longer a choice for the hardworking and unsuspecting Canadian consumer. Employees who depended on their salaries have been screwed, the hardworking pax who saved up for their vacations are screwed, all thanks to that shithead. The writing was on the wall for Jetsgo for a long time. There were the obvious surface factors at play in conjunction with serious and critical issues behind the scenes (surprise surprise, eh Michel?) that will perhaps surface within the next few months. I hope they do.

"Jetsgo! Fly A Little, Lose A Lot!" (of your hard earned saved money. Kiss it goodbye).

FLYACYYZ

Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:41 am

Quoting Yyz717 (Reply 44):
It should not be about making prior arrangements and what not. Its about doing the right thing. Both AC and WS and even Canjet will do the right thing and help people out, because in turn they will try to win the piece of the pie SG had to themselves

There is no question that everybody sympathizes with the customers, the staff, and all affected by the Jetsgo shutdown. Both AC and WS have come out with public affairs statements regarding the acceptance of tickets, but the reality is Y/C cabins domestically are packed, with perhaps a smattering of AC J/C seats open. This is a dog eat dog business and no airline is going to accept a now defunct SG penny, loonie, or toonie ticket.

It would be nice and benevolent for AC to airlift passengers, but airline allegiance is long forgotten with the next cheap ticket or seat sale. Regrettably at the expense of stranded customers, this is a time of opportunity for both AC and WS.

As far as SG ressurecting...computers have been removed, airport signage is being taken down, and aircraft have been flown out to avoid creditors. The news isn't even 12 hours old. As for Leblanc..he'll probably be scuba diving in the Cayman Islands by the weekend.

Good luck all...

P.S. The above quote (reply 44) was a response by YYZ717 to another members quote.

[Edited 2005-03-11 16:43:09]
Above and Beyond

A332

Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:44 am

I love the whole "successful entrepreneur" line... riiight...

So is that how you gauge success? It's not about the business being successful on a consistent basis, but the CEO and his close friends being able to pocket as much cash as possible and effectively screwing over the customers and employees who made it for them?

Some people have real interesting ideas on what success is...

yyz757fan

Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:47 am

While it is a sad day to see Jets Go's demise it is not surprising. The writing has been on the wall for months. You can not offer a service at a price well below your costs and expect to remain in business for long. Jets Go has been cutting corners and costs for a while and it has been showing. Increased passenger complaints,maintenance problems etc it all adds up. It was only a matter of time. My thoughts go out to the employees, especially the flight crews who had to pay for their own ground school for Jets Go aircraft. Hopefully they will find employment in a strengthen Airline industry.

SHUPirate1

Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:51 am

Well, obviously I jumped the gun when I referred to Jetsgo's shutting down as a "hoax"  banghead 
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

ac7e7

Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:59 am

Air Canada shares are up 3.06 to 35.25 as of 11:00AM Friday
Westjet shares are up 4.23 to 15.40 as of 11:00AM Friday

The market seems to be happy!

briboy
Topic Author

Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:15 am

So here is my next question.

What is the status of the SG fleet right now? Where are they parked?

/Brian

(I had a separate thread on this, but somehow this is not allowed...)
next up: YYC, SFO, SYD, AKL, WLG, CMB, BKK, SIN, FRA, VCE, JFK

F9Animal

Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:19 am

Wow, I had no idea they were in that bad of shape! I actually admired the paint job, and was hoping to see them start SEA service.

I am hoping they will somehow resume service again, as the statement mentioned it could reorganize its affairs. I am deeply saddened for the employees that will suffer as a result to this, and I hope that they will be able to find employement quickly, or perhaps Jetsgo will fly again soon.

Did Canada 3000 find the same result, but was able to resume operations a few days later? I remember reading a loooong time ago that they had ceased operations, but a few days later I saw an Airbus 330 flying in to LAS. Eventually they completley went under, but it appeared they were trying.
I Am A Different Animal!!

YOWguy

Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:34 am

Quoting FLYACYYZ (Reply 75):
Effectively from a fare point of view domestically, AC offers competitive low cost fares. The current lowest internet fare (Tango) YOW-YYZ is $69.00 CAD. Like every other airline, the lowest fares are based on availability. My bro recently booked a BMI web fare within the UK, and the prices on the same route ranged from UKL 11.00 - 129.00.

I guess I should have stated that the price included all the taxes...but yes the prices do have a dramatic range...all based on time booked, date of travel, and how far in advance it is booked.

Thanks for pointing that out FLYACYYZ

Prices here are attractive only if the government would reduce all of their charges on top of the tickets.

martinairyyz

Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:27 am

So, what will LeBlanc's next airline be? I'm hoping for something to start up within a year......
Chelsea Football Club supporter.

ckfred

Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:43 am

I'm curious. How many Fokkers did SG plan to buy from AA? How many aircraft had SG taken delivery of and put in service? And from AA's perspective, how much does SG owe for the aircraft that had been delivered.

Considering the penny pinching at AA, they were probably counting on the money from the aircraft sales.

baw716

Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:00 am

While these are certainly difficult times, it is very sad to see a company decide to close and its employees lose their jobs. In this uncertain time in aviation, it is often difficult for people to find work again in the capacity they once had; however, I do wish the employees of Jetsgo all the best.

I save my highest recognition and respect for the management of Jetsgo. To recognize that their company can no longer compete in the face of the changing competitive landscape in Canadian aviation and close is a courageous decision.

If we examine all the other carriers who have elected to fight on, putting their employees through they enourmous stress of not knowing if they will have a job from one day to the next, the idea that management could fix the very thing that has put them in this situation - the competitive landscape of Canada, which does not favor the small independent carrier - that would have been folly. Yet, the management of this company had the good sense to know that it was better to close and then examine if things can be salvaged or not rather than pouring cash into a rathole.

Godspeed to the people of Jetsgo and to their management, thank you for showing us that when they can't make money, instead of reinventing the wheel and going further into debt doing it, that just closing the doors is sometimes the right thing to do, as painful as it is to do.

Hopefully, the other carriers will take care of the passengers who are stranded much like the carriers here do.

baw716
David L. Lamb, fmr Area Mgr Alitalia SFO 1998-2002, fmr Regional Analyst SFO-UAL 1992-1998

accargo

Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:09 am

Quoting MartinairYYZ (Reply 86):
So, what will LeBlanc's next airline be? I'm hoping for something to start up within a year......

Why on earth would you hope he starts up another airline???????
He's displaced thousands of passengers, put a few thousand people out of work, and likely walked away with money in his pockets. Would you being saying the same thing if you had bought tickets on Jetsgo for a flight next week??????? There is a difference between offering a low cost product and operating a profitable low cost service, the first does not serve anyone well in the long term.

yeggerman

Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:13 am

Quoting Baw716 (Reply 88):
I save my highest recognition and respect for the management of Jetsgo. To recognize that their company can no longer compete in the face of the changing competitive landscape in Canadian aviation and close is a courageous decision.

How can you have respect? They waited to the busiest time for travel, waited for everyone to have a ticket then cancelled. As of last night 2330 you could still purchase a ticket online with them. How does that make them classy?

It doesn't, all a money grab at the last minute... What a joke !!!
"All great things must come to an end"

Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:20 am

"So, what will LeBlanc's next airline be? I'm hoping for something to start up within a year......"

You have got to be joking. Leblanc should most defiinitely NOT be allowed anywhere near an airport again. You're hoping for what? That countless more employees will be screwed out of their livelihoods under a new carrier run by Leblanc? You're hoping that future flight and cabin crews will be stranded system wide, stripped of their salaries that they depend on, thnaks to Lebanc? You're hoping that future pilots will post $30,000 bonds, to see them wiped out, courtesy of Leblanc? Trust me, in 1990, I and my crew were stranded in the UK - the layover hotel wanted to toss us out on the street. It was only the kindness and sympathy of the hotel manager that we had a roof over our heads that night. Imagine flying home, on NATIONAIR, to no job, no income. Our ex-President was as incompetent as Leblanc, and made horrific business decisions that steered our carrier towards oblivion, just as in the case of Jetsgo.

You're hoping that countless more revenue generating passengers will have their hoped-for vacation plans flushed down the toilet? People who saved up all year for vacations, family reunions, etc. People who do NOT have the disposable income to pay for new tickets? And all thanks to Leblanc. You can point out all the other variables which may or may not have contributed to Jetsgo's demise, but the bottom line is Leblanc.

You mark my words, Leblanc, if anything, is devious. I'm not even sure that I would not place him on the same level as Obatia. The quintessential greedy businessman (for lack of a better term), he and his cronies purposely kept Jetsgo afloat until now, peak high season March break. Why? To generate as much high yeild fare revenue as possible. Money's in the bank - shut and lock the doors. It made more financial sense for him to do it now as opposed to January or February, or even post March break, once the high season gross income was to be paid out to suppliers/bills. It's happened before - it will happen again. Leblanc is no doubt sitting pretty-financial wise, as our ex-President/CEO was and is.

"So is that how you gauge success? It's not about the business being successful on a consistent basis, but the CEO and his close friends being able to pocket as much cash as possible and effectively screwing over the customers and employees who made it for them?"

Exactly. I concur. Unfortunately, there are those here who are on the same page as Leblanc and others like him re success. I wonder how many would be hoping for his return if they themselves lost their homes, cars and lives - and had a family to feed and support.

Sweet dreams, Michel. Sleep well on all that money. It should keep you warm for the rest of the winter....oh, but you're no doubt off to warmer climates....
just as your revenue pax were hoping to be this morning.

A332

Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:21 am

Quoting Baw716 (Reply 88):

WTF?? You save your highest respect for the management team?? You do realize that this same management team has known for months that things were not going so well and instead of publicizing their issues, they allow customers to book spring break airfare and fill their planes, only to shut down at the last minute and screw all of these people over.... you respect that sort of business practice??

Oh.. and let's not even get started on that recent Western expansion announcement, another sly maneuver to pocket even more cash from customers who had no clue what was coming...

And you respect that. Way to go buddy!  Yeah sure

planemaker

Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:43 am

For further sad reading... http://www.jetsgosucks.com
Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. - A. Einstein

astral

Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:44 am

Most Jetsgo passengers will not be able to get their money back. Only those that had purchased their tickets from a travel agency located in Ontario, Quebec, and British Columbia will be able to file a claim through their agency and regain their money. These three provinces have Travel Agent Act in place, and all have a Travel Assurance Fund (funded by the registered travel agencies) to compensate people that made purchases from travel agencies.
Those who are in other provinces are totally out of luck, and the same for those who purchase tickets through the web. Those that have Jetsmile points too are holding onto useless points as these would be considered as goodwill from now a bankrupted airline.
A few credit cards too MAY refund their clients, but the number are getting smaller as many credit card companies were burned by the failure of Canada300 last time, and changed their policy since then. I was a Director for 7 years with the BC Travel Assurance Fund, and the above are legally correct.
Jetsgo failure is expected. Its fares structure cannot support the way they operate, in fact no airline can survive at such low fares structure. Yes, low fares are good for consumers, but if it is too unrealistically low, then finally someone will get hurt by it. Business is business, you just can't keep going selling goods below cost.
The safety issue at Jetsgo is the final nail of the coffin. Because of Jetsgo's safety problems, MOT restricted them to fly below 29,000 feet. At that altitude it will burns more fuel, and Jetsgo on its transcon flight will have only two choices - one is to stop for fuel which add up the cost significantly, two is to reduce passenger load to cut weight, and that is a lost of revenue. Both ways are money losing and cannot continue. Given the very high fuel prices, it just made Jetsgo demise comes sooner. The way blew any engine a few days ago in YYZ would almost sure to get MOT's more restriction, thus making further operations near commercially impossible.
Too bad so many employees lost their jobs, and so many passengers lost their money.

yyz717

Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:46 am

P.S. The above quote (reply 44) was a response by YYZ717 to another members quote.

Rod, I did not make that quote. Someone else did. I was responding to the same quote as you. Please be careful when claiming to quote someone.

I agree with you -- other airlines should not feel obliged to pick up stranded SG travellers.

VonRichtofen

Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:09 am

I'm curious whether the shutdown was due to financial reasons or what? It seems kinda funny that Transport Canada starts investigating the airline and then suddenly *poof* they cease operations. Do you think TC was gonna drop the hammer so to speak and SG voluntarily shut down to prevent an even more embarrassing situation with the media?

Kris

A332

Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:14 am

I believe it was all a pre-arranged scam by LeBlanc and his buddies to grab as much cash as possible and bail out with the proceeds in their pockets.

I think a TC investigation will simply underline what we have all been believing for months, which is the fact that Jetsgo practiced some pretty shady operating practices that could have harmed or killed it's customers sometime down the road... I think the items we have already witnessed on the table are just a portion of the issues that were really plaguing the airline.

I knew things were getting fishy when Jetsgo suddenly announced a massive Western Canadian expansion (ie: 12x YYC-YVR, etc). Like who in their right mind believed SG had the aircraft and the slots required to make such an ambitious plan possible..? It was a premeditated cash grab scam that officials in SG's management should be taken to court over.

Samurai 777

Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:14 am

I saw this coming a long time ago anyways. But I still feel sorry for all those SG employees who are now jobless. I wish the best of luck to them.

yvrtoyyz

Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:19 am

After two experiences of dealing with Jetsgo, I vowed never again to give them any more money, despite their lower costs. With that being said, I recognize that Jetsgo was the obvious choice to us taxed-to-death Canadians who are forced to penny-pinch to get anywhere in this country. And while the remaining airlines (WestJet, Air Canada, Canjet and Harmony) are under no obligation to transport a once-competitors passengers, their offers to attempt to assist (as has been mentioned already) can be nothing but good Public Relations. With that being said, I have not heard of any info from Harmony re: YYZ-YVR flights.

One would think that with the recent events surrounding Jetsgo stemming from December to the present, numerous increase in complaints, maintenance issues, etc., that the Transport Canada would seriously consider the consequences of permitting LeBlanc to create another airline, should and if he choose to.

One question that remains is how the remaining airlines - namely Air Canada and WestJet - will react with their prices. Quite often they were attempting to match JetsGo on some of their flights along similar routes. With the ridiculously low prices now gone (ie. JetsGo) and WestJet often having higher base fares than Air Canada (and vise versa), will Canadians be seeing an increase in fares? This remains to be seen. If nothing else, JetsGo was good at keeping the other airline's airfares low or lower than "normal". Going to be an interesting few weeks ahead!

-YVRtoYYZ

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos