Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

RAMPRAT980
Topic Author

Continental Airlines Terminal "A" @ EWR

Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:46 am

At terminal "A" at EWR Continental Airlines handles flights to and from DFW, ATL, ORD/MDW. In late April or early May, Continental will be adding flights to and from BOS, IAD/DCA in terminal "A". CAL wants to focus all business travelers in one terminal. I think this is a great idea.
Also United Airlines will be moving from terminal "A" to terminal "B" taking Air Canada with them thus freeing up two gates in terminal "A" which CAL will take over to handle the extra flights.
With gun control there can be no democracy.. With gun control there can be no Freedom

LFutia

RE: Continental Airlines Terminal "A" @ EWR

Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:43 am

will that mean that UA/AC are taking Jetsgo's gates now that Jetsgo has ceased ops in EWR?
Leo/ORD

STT757

Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:56 am

Quoting RAMPRAT980 (Thread starter):
I think this is a great idea.

It's great for business travelers because the Terminal A security screening areas rarely have any wait time at all.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

STT757

Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:58 am

BTW..

Where did you get this news?..

ramprat74

Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:24 pm

How many gates are available in B? UA/UX/FL operate out of 8 gates in A-1.

sdkualeb

Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:15 am

I have a real hard time believing that UA will move to terminal B. They are the lease holder for (A). Before getting laid off I believe there was talk to give CO a gate or two. The PANYNJ was making issues about Gate 10-18 because of being under utilized

STT757

Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:22 am

I would think it would be easier to move Airtran to Terminal B and have Air Canada move from A-2 to A-1 with UAL, that way CO can have Air Canada's gates in A-2.

N62NA

Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:44 am

Quoting STT757 (Reply 2):
It's great for business travelers because the Terminal A security screening areas rarely have any wait time at all.

Yeah, that's because there are hardly any UA flights out of EWR anymore!  Angry

Quoting STT757 (Reply 3):
BTW..

Where did you get this news?..

I would like to know the answer to your question as well...

Quoting Sdkualeb (Reply 5):
The PANYNJ was making issues about Gate 10-18 because of being under utilized

Yes, I read a while back (few months ago) that the PANYNJ was on AA's case about underutilizing their gates in A-3. It baffles me how UA can have all of A-1 with so few flights. Either add more flights UA, or give back the gates!

COEWR787

Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:18 am

Quoting STT757 (Reply 6):
I would think it would be easier to move Airtran to Terminal B and have Air Canada move from A-2 to A-1 with UAL, that way CO can have Air Canada's gates in A-2.

OTOH, if UA moves to B with AC, then they find themselves in the same terminal with their Star Alliance partners SAS, SQ, LH. Given the few remaining UA flights at EWR, it might actually make sense for UA to move to B, unless of course UA thinks that it has any intention or ability to significantly increase the number of flights into and out of EWR. At present there is no indication that that might be the case.

B742

Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:22 am

What CO aircraft are based at EWR's Terminal A?

Rob!

Newark777

Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:25 am

Quoting B742 (Reply 9):
What CO aircraft are based at EWR's Terminal A?

Right now, ATL, ORD, and DFW flights are flown out of Terminal A.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

airzim

Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:32 am

Actually the real reason for the A gates is to prevent any other carriers from consolidating and building an operation. The choice of cities served is also self explanatory, ATL, DFW and ORD. Major competitive hub cities and I would guess the least amount of connecting traffic to other CO flights that would fly out of C normally. BOS and DCA/IAD seem logical to add to the list.

ANNOYEDFA

Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:14 am

Airzim: Sorry but there is simply not much gate space over at Terminal C. Even with express jets facility all to themselves you will still find them in C1 and C3 for boarding. Terminal A is annoying especially for crews when your in the middle of a trip to have to go back and forth through security and back and forth over from terminal to terminal. If I have a 5 leg day that say now consists of a Boston turn that would be A, then something out of C, then say a ORD overnight I would be going through security 3 times. Atleast we have the old TWA crew room over at Terminal A.
"TWA... One Mission, Yours."

ramprat74

Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:51 am

Quoting N62NA (Reply 7):
Yes, I read a while back (few months ago) that the PANYNJ was on AA's case about underutilizing their gates in A-3. It baffles me how UA can have all of A-1 with so few flights. Either add more flights UA, or give back the gates!

UA owns A-1. Why should they get rid of them? They already traded some gates in A-2 that they owned for CO gates in LAX. They should sublease the gates in A-1 to other carriers like they do with FL. I hope AA won't back down with their gates either.

COEWR787

Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:52 am

Quoting RampRat74 (Reply 13):
UA owns A-1. Why should they get rid of them? They already traded some gates in A-2 that they owned for CO gates in LAX / KLAX), USA - California">LAX. They should sublease the gates in A-1 to other carriers like they do with FL. I hope AA won't back down with their gates either.

Can't resist saying this..... at the rate UA is going they will soon be selling gates they own to stay afloat. Wink

More seriously, ever since UA decided to make JFK their primary international point in NYC, it is not clear what their plans exactly are for EWR. Every so often one hears rumors of further UA cutbacks at EWR. Does UA really want to continue with sufficient presence at EWR to financially justify owning A-1 anymore, except as a real-estate investment of course? And if it is owned as a real-estate investment then they should be delighted to rent gates out to whoever. no? Or perhaps even trade gates between B and A-1 with some willing taker if they wanted to move to B. Juuuuuust speculating here......

[Edited 2005-03-13 22:01:52]

OzarkD9S

Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:32 am

Re: CO flights at A:

Haven't been to EWR...is the signage on the roadway clear regarding which CO destinations are served from A? How many passengers just show up at the Continental Terminal C expecting those flights to depart from C? Is it made clear at the time of booking? Just wondered, seems that it could get very confusing for Joe Blow passenger...
Next up: STL DEN PSP DEN STL

mats

Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:35 am

Pity they don't offer an airside shuttle between terminals A & C. I think it would be particularly irritating to connect at EWR and have to exit a secured area, take a train, and pass through security again.

I know that Continental puts predominately O&D flights in Terminal A, but they probably at least have SOME passengers connecting at EWR.

Cory6188

Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:57 am

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 15):
is the signage on the roadway clear regarding which CO destinations are served from A?

It's very clear. If you miss the signs on the airport entrance road, you really weren't paying attention. It says, in black on a bright yellow background, Continental - Atlanta, Chicago (O'Hare), Dallas.

N62NA

Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:15 am

Quoting RampRat74 (Reply 13):
UA owns A-1. Why should they get rid of them?

Owns or leases? Doesn't the Port Authority actually own the airport?

airzim

Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:46 am

AnnoyedFA,

I not denying that Term C is full, but the fact remains the major reason CO uses Term A is to prevent competition getting a wedge in. And maybe it sucks for you to transit between the two terminals, the reality is in the markets that are served from Term A have very low connecting traffic, hence why you don't see FLL and PHX flights there.

LRGT

Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:46 am

Quoting RAMPRAT980 (Thread starter):
I think this is a great idea.

ARE YOU KIDDING???? ALL OF YOU PEOPLE except the two below have not seen the forest for the trees! All that is hapening here is gates are being opened up (like AirTran and others have been patiently waiting for) and Continental is simply doing what they always do and immediatly pouncing any any airport property that may become vacant so that NO LOW FARE COMPETITION CAN ENTER. This is absolutely tragic and CO can easily efficiently manage its gates better to handle what it needs to do. THIS IS ABOUT MORE THAN THAT!

RIGHT ON...

Quoting Airzim (Reply 11):
Actually the real reason for the A gates is to prevent any other carriers from consolidating and building an operation. The choice of cities served is also self explanatory, ATL, DFW and ORD. Major competitive hub cities and I would guess the least amount of connecting traffic to other CO flights that would fly out of C normally. BOS and DCA/IAD seem logical to add to the list.

Quoting Airzim (Reply 19):
I not denying that Term C is full, but the fact remains the major reason CO uses Term A is to prevent competition getting a wedge in. And maybe it sucks for you to transit between the two terminals, the reality is in the markets that are served from Term A have very low connecting traffic, hence why you don't see FLL and PHX flights there
Don't bring up the NW DC9's unless you have to!

highliner2

Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:59 am

I connected in EWR last summer, MDW-EWR-ORF and than ORF-EWR-ORD. It wasn't too bad and I did enjoy Terminal A, security was a breeze although there's not much to see unless you like CO's 737 Classics and the occasional AWE A320. I could see how it would be an unpleasant hassle for crews however.
Go Cubs!

Ezra

Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:00 am

I understand why CO operates Atlanta/Chicago/Dallas flights from Terminal A, but I disagree with operating Boston and Washington flights from that terminal. I feel that EWR is a geographically logical connecting hub for flights from BOS and DCA/IAD (especially to CO's international opps at EWR) and that to put these flights in a distant terminal will inconvenience connecting pax.

COfaninBOS

Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:40 am

I concur with Ezra.

I live in Boston and mainly fly between BOS and IAH for work and family (grew up in Houston). However, I am fiercely loyal to CO and use EWR whenever I am flying to places like LAX, SFO, LAS, SAN, etc...

I would have to say that while a good bit of the EWR-BOS flying is indeed O&D biz type traffic, at least 50% appears to be connecting traffic. Lots of people use EWR/CO to get to Europe, Florida, and the Caribbean from BOS. The international check in line at BOS at the CO check in area is always busy.

northwestEWR

Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:01 am

Couldnt UA sell its A-1 gates to WN ? This would be an awesome opportunity for WN
Northwest Airlines - Now You're Flying Smart

Newark777

Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:07 am

Quoting NorthwestEWR (Reply 24):
Couldnt UA sell its A-1 gates to WN ? This would be an awesome opportunity for WN

Doesn't WN try to avoid airports with large delays? Last time I checked, EWR had the worst delays in the country. Plus, they already service nearby PHL.

Harry

yhz78

Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:08 am

I was once told that the reason CO had their ATL, DFW AND ORD flights out of terminal A was that these were delay plagued airports and CO had them their to keep gates from getting messed up over in C. Is there any truth in this or was someone just babbling nonsense?
Canada Rocks! From the west coast to the best coast!

N62NA

Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:23 am

Quoting NorthwestEWR (Reply 24):
Couldnt UA sell its A-1 gates to WN ?

I thought the Port Authority actually owns the gates, along with the rest of the airport, so are we talking about subleasing here?

FlyHoss

Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:09 pm

Newark777,
EWR is a delay prone airport, but I believe ORD topped the charts (for most delays) for 2004.
A little bit louder now, a lil bit louder now...

Newark777

Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:18 pm

Quoting FlyHoss (Reply 28):
Newark777,
EWR is a delay prone airport, but I believe ORD topped the charts (for most delays) for 2004.

Either way, it's pretty congested, and is always near the top, and is probably more congested than WN can handle.

Harry

COEWR787

Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:44 pm

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 29):
Either way, it's pretty congested, and is always near the top,

No surprise that it is so congested. Afterall it varries almost as many pax as JFK but with, for all practical purpose, only two runways.

And yes, I would be quite surprised if WN considers getting itself into the morass that is EWR.

travelin man

Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:57 pm

I made my first "A to C" connection ever yesterday ORD-EWR-SJU
(see trip report: https://www.airliners.net/discussions/trip_reports/read.main/55519/ ).

It was not that fun to have to go out of security and back in. I'm trying to think of another airport where to connect on the same airline you have to leave security, and right now I am drawing a blank.

It is highly inconvenient in this day and age of strip searches. If I was flying in from ORD, DFW, or ATL, I'd think twice about connecting in EWR (although based on my experience yesterday, CO is a good airline).

iluv747400

Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:00 pm

Quoting N62NA (Reply 27):
I thought the Port Authority actually owns the gates, along with the rest of the airport, so are we talking about subleasing here?

Technically, the City of Newark owns the airport (gates included I would imagine). The Port Authority has leased it since 1948. United is therefore a sublessee as it is, but they could probably sublease (sub-sublease?) them again.

STT757

Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:09 pm

Quoting COEWR787 (Reply 30):
for all practical purpose, only two runways.

On clear days which has been happening more often lately (thank goodness) they are using all three very effectively, over the weekend there were CO 757s and 777s landing on runway 11/29 while regular departures and arrivals were happening on the two main runways.

They fit more aircraft into the approach pattern when they swing every other aircraft out to circle to land on 11/29.

WDBRR

Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:15 pm

I have seen USA 3000 use the international gates at Terminal B
at EWR, guess no place else for them to go? Before 9/11,
Spirit Airlines flew into EWR and used gate B20 next to AC.
The fares were lower at the time to FLL, MCO, MYR, now
it's cheaper to drive to JFK or LGA than fly from EWR.
Gate A36 is used by Independence Air, is this sub-leased
by US Airways or AA....this was a former TWA gate.

LRGT

Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:58 pm

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 25):
Doesn't WN try to avoid airports with large delays? Last time I checked, EWR had the worst delays in the country. Plus, they already service nearby PHL.

Harry

Quoting FlyHoss (Reply 28):

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 29):
Either way, it's pretty congested, and is always near the top, and is probably more congested than WN can handle.

Quoting COEWR787 (Reply 30):
No surprise that it is so congested. Afterall it varries almost as many pax as JFK but with, for all practical purpose, only two runways.

And yes, I would be quite surprised if WN considers getting itself into the morass that is EWR.

What are you talking about? PHL (where WN has invaded) currently is MUCH more delay prone than EWR. EWR actaully moves a lot of traffic quite quickly and efficiently.

I beleive PHL (Southwest's new home) is the nation's WORST for delays.

AA7573E

Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:09 am

The nation's worst airport in terms of delays is ORD, by a long shot.
See you up front!

northwestEWR

Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:05 am

By WN moving into EWR they would finally have a real NYC airport to fly into ( not ISP or PHL ) they could do some serious damage to the NYC - Florida runs and make some $$$$$$
Northwest Airlines - Now You're Flying Smart

COEWR787

Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:37 am

Quoting STT757 (Reply 33):
On clear days which has been happening more often lately (thank goodness) they are using all three very effectively, over the weekend there were CO 757s and 777s landing on runway 11/29 while regular departures and arrivals were happening on the two main runways.

Yep. Unfortunately such clear days less often than one would wish. Also this works out much better when the prevailing winds allows the use of 22L (rather than 4R) for landings.

OTOH on strong cross-wind (for 4-22 runways) days the situation gets really bad since 11/29 is not long enough for long-haul takeoffs, and for the rest there is effectively a single runway available for both takeoffs and landings.

STT757

Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:01 am

Quoting WDBRR (Reply 34):
I have seen USA 3000 use the international gates at Terminal B
at EWR, guess no place else for them to go

USA 3000 flies to the Dominican Republic, so they have to use B for Arrivals.

Quoting COEWR787 (Reply 38):
Yep. Unfortunately such clear days less often than one would wish. Also this works out much better when the prevailing winds allows the use of 22L (rather than 4R) for landings.

OTOH on strong cross-wind (for 4-22 runways) days the situation gets really bad since 11/29 is not long enough for long-haul takeoffs, and for the rest there is effectively a single runway available for both takeoffs and landings.

One huge advantage I noticed right away over the weekend is that when CO has flights landing on 11/29 it's right in front of Terminal C. The 757s and 777s I watched land on 11/29 taxied off the runway and were at their gates at the C-3 concourse almost as soon as they exited the active runway, you can't have a shorter taxi time.

If a flight is running a few minutes late they should try land there everytime, it probably saves a good 10 minutes or more as opposed to rolling out all the way by the FedEx hub.

I can only remember once landing on runway 11/29, it was on a Eastern 727 from MCO around '87 or '88. The only flight I ever threw up on, it was not the severe turbulence that made me sick but listening to and smelling everyone around me throwing up, that was one twisty approach. Felt like we were just spiraling down.

LRGT

Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:16 am

Quoting Lrgt (Reply 35):
I beleive PHL (Southwest's new home) is the nation's WORST for delays.

Quoting AA7573E (Reply 36):
The nation's worst airport in terms of delays is ORD, by a long shot.

USA DOT DATA (January 05):

PHL:
Departures On-Time: 59.68%
Arrivals On-Time: 58.60%

ORD:
Departures On-Time: 61.26%
Arrivals On-Time: 59.25%

COEWR787

Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:20 am

Quoting STT757 (Reply 39):
I can only remember once landing on runway 11/29, it was on a Eastern 727 from MCO around '87 or '88. The only flight I ever threw up on, it was not the severe turbulence that made me sick but listening to and smelling everyone around me throwing up, that was one twisty approach. Felt like we were just spiraling down.

I remember landing on 29 returning from LHR on UA907 (when it was still flying) which was a 777. The reason for landing on 29 was extreme cross-wind which pretty much made 22 unusable that day. And yes, the approach was less than smoot. It basically came in as if it was going to land on 22L and then veered around to land on 19 instead. Since then I have landed on 29 a couple more times, once on a 757 and once on a 737. I have never landed on 11, but I have seen planes upto 737s land on 11.

tommy767

Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:44 am

I remember landing on Runway 11/29 on BTV-EWR on a CO ATR in 1993. I remember feeling very sick throughout most of the flight, however I remember falling asleep and missing the very turbulent and steep landing. Nonetheless, my whole family remembers it being quite a roller coaster ride.....

...thankfully, I never got sick either  Smile
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

ManchesterMAN

Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:18 pm

Can't understand why BOS and WAS flights are moving to terminal A. I've taken a few flights to IAD/DCA via EWR with CO, and from looking at the luggage tags when the bags come off the carrousel there are plenty of folks from the UK connecting onto these destinations, although last time LAS seemed to be the most popular connecting destination. If the connection is tight having to change terminals doesn't help.
Flown: A300,A319,A320,A321,A330,A340.A380,717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC9,DC10,MD11,MD80,F100,F50,ERJ,E190,CRJ,BAe146,Da

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos