Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MDW22L31C
Topic Author

Long Beach Airport

Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:29 am

I was at LGB last night picking up some friends, I was amazed how many people take the Jet Blue red eyes and how many people arrived on AS, HP and AA flights. The little LGB Is now looking shabby It need new carpet.

The last time I was a LGB HP and some airline called WINAIR where only carriers at LGB.

Also I was 727 take off about 21:30 who fly’s 727s out of LGB?

Jetmarc

RE: Long Beach Airport

Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:41 am

The past few months, I've seen Planet Airways twice and a Pan Am B727 once on the ramp. Apparently charters for Grand Canyon sightseeing tours or for some cruises...
"Sucka, I'm gonna send you out on Knuckle Airlines. Fist Class!!" ~ Mr. T

LAXintl

Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:52 am

Indeed LGB has seen a renaissance in the last few years. The airport is now serving 3 million passengers annually, and its facilities are indeed cramped and get congested during peak periods.

The city is in the midst of an environmental impact review regarding terminal expansion to eliminate some of the temporary trailer facilities currently in use.
Overall terminal size would nearly double by adding new permanent passenger holding rooms, counter space, offices, concession areas, and restrooms.

This construction, however faces stiff opposition from the community whom view this as a prelude to added future flight activity. Somewhat "you build it, people will come" view.

The B727 you saw, was Fedex which departed for Oakland just about 930pm. Besides a the daily 1-2 Fedex B727 ops, the airport also gets a few corporate B727 on occasion plus an odd charter or two by the like of Miami Air, Champion Air or Pan Am.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

icebird757

Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:02 pm

The Pan Am 727 that was in here a few weeks ago was taking people to St. Kidd. The only time that you will see Champion, Miami Air or Planet is when there are sports charters mainly. I use to work for Winair and I remember the days of just two airlines.......very slow!
I kick chocks

MidnightMike

Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:17 pm

I work for Alteon Training and the Long Beach Airport Long Term parking lot is right next to my building, during the holidays it is truly impressive to see every parking space filled with cars. "4" years ago, the most impressive thing around LGB was watching a Cessna land or watching a blimp takeoff.

The next time somebody is at the Long Beach Airport, send me an email, I will show you the full flight simulators......
NO URLS in signature

lincoln

Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:34 pm

This is a stupid question, but since I've never personally noticed a 727 out of LGB (and my dad lives right off the departure end of 30)-- are 727s able to meet the airport's noise regulations?

(Stupid question because ovbiously if FedEx has a daily 727 flight it must be legal...must admit that I've never seen a FedEx coming or going (have seen UPS)

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

FA4B6

Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:49 pm

LGB really is a great LAX alternative. The plane practically pulls up to the road. I WISH it had jetways though, I'm the old school way has some appeal but schlepping my bags up and down those stairs! OY!
"Leap! And the net will appear."

MidnightMike

Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:59 pm

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 5):
This is a stupid question, but since I've never personally noticed a 727 out of LGB (and my dad lives right off the departure end of 30)-- are 727s able to meet the airport's noise regulations?

(Stupid question because ovbiously if FedEx has a daily 727 flight it must be legal...must admit that I've never seen a FedEx coming or going (have seen UPS)

Yes, but, any other 727's would not. There is a noise budget that the Long Beach must operate under.
NO URLS in signature

LAXintl

Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:03 pm

Fedex usually has 1 daily B727 in LGB. Arrives around 8pm from Tucson and departs around 930pm to Oakland. In addition they have an A300 to Memphis around 730pm. On occasion a 2nd B727 has been know to arrive in the mornings. The B727s are all hushkitted to Stage III requirements.

Other freighters include UPS which have 2 or more weekday B767s and ABX which also has two 767s.

Besides the previously mentioned charters, Allegiant Air had an MD-80 this afternoon at LGB which arrived from Seattle and departed to Minneapolis.

Overall LGB is indeed a great alternative to LAX. Its location is is quite good along the 405 being able to pull from both Southern LA County and Northern Orange County.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

MidnightMike

Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:38 pm

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 8):
Besides the previously mentioned charters, Allegiant Air had an MD-80 this afternoon at LGB which arrived from Seattle and departed to Minneapolis.

Hmmm? An Allegiant Air MD80? That must have been a charter flight, information could come in handy.

Long Beach is a great airport to fly in/out of, and the best feature is the observation deck on the 2nd floor, you can sit on the balcony, outside, and look and here the aircraft you're about to fly on....
NO URLS in signature

lightsaber

Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:45 pm

Quoting MidnightMike (Reply 9):

Long Beach is a great airport to fly in/out of, and the best feature is the observation deck on the 2nd floor, you can sit on the balcony, outside, and look and here the aircraft you're about to fly on....

Not to mention you can have a nice dinner while waiting for your flight!
I love flying out of LGB. But it does need added buildings for the current capacity. And you'd know LGB Mike.

I've heard alternating rumors of AA staying or leaving LGB. Does anyone know anything about this?

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

lincoln

Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:01 pm

Quoting MidnightMike (Reply 9):
Hmmm? An Allegiant Air MD80? That must have been a charter flight, information could come in handy

From FlyteComm:

Detailed Flight Information:
Allegiant Air Flight 4122 to Long Beach, CA
(LGB-Long Beach Municipal Airport)
60° F
Clear

Airline Allegiant Air
Flight Number 4122
Departure City (Airport) Seattle, WA (SEA)
Departure Time 03/17/2005 11:51 AM
Arrival City (Airport) Long Beach, CA (LGB)
Arrival Time 03/17/2005 01:56 PM
Remaining Flight Time 00:00
Aircraft Type McDonnell Douglas MD-80 Series
Current Altitude 0 feet
Current Groundspeed 0 mph
Flight Status Arrived
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

sunking737

Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:35 pm

Long Beach is my favorite airport as I used to live in Long Beach and would ride my bike out to see all the jets at Douglas.

I was playing outside one day when a Western 737 flew over going to the airport the main runway must have been out of service or something I was a very happy camper, My dad worked for Western then.

Back in the 70's in was just Western & PSA, ah the good ole days.  Wink
"Don't believe it unless its parked on the ramp, or printed in the schedule...SUBJECT TO CHANGE"

I'm a SUNDUCK......Worked for RC & SY @ MSP

MidnightMike

Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:07 am

Quoting Lightsaber (Reply 10):
I've heard alternating rumors of AA staying or leaving LGB. Does anyone know anything about this?

The only thing that I heard was that American was going suspend service from LGB to certain cities, which may have been done already.
NO URLS in signature

richierich

Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:42 am

Midnight Mike: show us the simulators? Or let us use the simulators?
What type of sims are they?

Thanks for the offer, dude....  Smile
None shall pass!!!!

FA4B6

Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:49 am

Quoting MidnightMike (Reply 13):
The only thing that I heard was that American was going suspend service from LGB to certain cities, which may have been done already.

They ended LGB-JFK but still keep LGB-DFW. They used to send 757s, but lately all I have seen there are MD80s.
"Leap! And the net will appear."

MidnightMike

Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:59 am

Alteon Long Beach has the: 717, MD11, 737NG, MD88, & 737-200 simulators

Here is a link to my website, Alteon does have a simulator ride program, just like the Captain for a program:

http://www.webradium.com/webradium/t...re.cfm?page=products&site_id=87901
NO URLS in signature

D950

Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:05 am

The 717 simulator has to be the expierience of a lifetime, I had more fun in one hour than I can remember. It does not hurt that Mike and all the people there tend to make you feel like family!!

F
Resting on your laurels is a synonym for flirting with disaster

richierich

Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:06 am

That looks awesome! Thanks MM!
None shall pass!!!!

Popfly

Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:59 am

Midnight Mike,

How long do you get for the sim ride? Just a takeoff and landing, or do you get an hour, or what?

Also, I thought Alteon had sold their full motion MD-11 simulator and was uninstalling the fixed base one. Is that still available?

Popfly

MidnightMike

Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:14 am

Quoting Popfly (Reply 19):
How long do you get for the sim ride? Just a takeoff and landing, or do you get an hour, or what?

Also, I thought Alteon had sold their full motion MD-11 simulator and was uninstalling the fixed base one. Is that still available?

Popfly

No, We did not sell the MD11 simulator, we are taking apart one MD11 FTD, they are 90% complete with the tear down. There is still a MD11FTD that is in service.

The simulator rides are $150 for "1" hour. The simulator rides are pretty much landing & takeoffs.
NO URLS in signature

VS045

Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:03 am

Long Beach: You gotta love the baggage carousel!!!!!!!

Cheers,
VS045
4 engines 4 long haul

Bluewave 707

Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:20 am

The one time I flew in and out of LGB was back in '83, when I did a PSA MD-81 flight LGB-SFO-LGB roundtrip. It reminded me of a neighbor island airport here in Hawaii, because of boarding by stairs, quaint gate areas, and smaller airliners. The only other airline I saw the day we departed was Jet America. We returned from SFO @ night, and wasn't much to see.

Too bad AQ, didn't get a few slots there.
"The best use of your life will be to so live your life, that the use of your life will outlive your life" -- D Severn

MidnightMike

Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:39 am

Quoting Bluewave 707 (Reply 22):
The one time I flew in and out of LGB was back in '83, when I did a PSA MD-81 flight LGB-SFO-LGB roundtrip. It reminded me of a neighbor island airport here in Hawaii, because of boarding by stairs, quaint gate areas, and smaller airliners. The only other airline I saw the day we departed was Jet America. We returned from SFO @ night, and wasn't much to see.

PSA! Damn, somebody has some mileage on those tires!
NO URLS in signature

Pilawt

Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:09 am

Ah, the memories of LGB!

I worked as a flight instructor at a small flight school on the south side of the airport in 1971-72. LGB was the country's fourth busiest airport in those days. Daily sights were the 732's of PSA and Western taking off from 25L, and the comings and goings of Catalina Airlines' (later Golden West) Grumman Geese from Avalon and McCulloch International's L-188 and Turbo Commander from Lake Havasu City. Mercer Airlines operated DC-3, -4 and -6 equipment on their US Navy contract flights.

This was also the era of flight testing of the DC-10 at LGB. I remember a max-effort landing of an unpainted prototype DC-10 on runway 30. The airplane came to a noisy but complete stop before the intersection of 25L, a distance of about 3,200 feet.

The first two DC-10 deliveries took place on a day in August 1971, I believe. Douglas employees thronged the airport perimeter and VIP's lined Rwy 12/30. The first DC-10, in AA livery, took off from Rwy 12, to the oohs and aahs of the assembled multitude. Out taxied the UA airplane. It took the runway, started to roll, rotated ... and then the nose came back down, reversers and spoilers deployed, and the airplane rolled out to the southeast end of the runway. VIP's looked at each other nervously as it taxied back. We heard later that the captain's window was not latched properly.

The tall, pencil-thin control tower was brand new when the Sylmar earthquake hit on February 9, 1971. It was a foggy morning, and the lone controller in the cab could not even see the ground. Suddenly he was thrown about the cab like a pair of socks in a spin dryer. All he could see outside were flashes of electrical transformers. He set a new record for the five-story downstairs run, and for the rest of the day while the structure was inspected for damage, controllers worked traffic from the parking lot with a handheld transceiver.

tockeyhockey

Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:16 am

Quoting MidnightMike (Reply 7):
Yes, but, any other 727's would not. There is a noise budget that the Long Beach must operate under.

ah, the whisper jet. what happened to the good old days of roaring engines and thick black smoke pouring out the rear of a jet engine?

MidnightMike

Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:19 am

Pilawt

My buddy is a Long Beach resident, born & raised and has a good website full of numerous photos, oh yeah, did I also say that he is a Douglas Nut!

Here is his website:

http://www.angelfire.com/dc/douglasjets/
NO URLS in signature

av757

Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:06 am

After my ground school for captain of the MD-83 at McDonnell Douglas Long Beach I got my flight simulator training at Flight Safety LGB in 1992 when Avianca got their first eleven MD-83's.

AV757

RiffedAAMech

Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:41 am

I live 5 minutes from LGB and have seen the simulator buildings on Clark. I would love to try flying on one of those!
I used to work at Douglas and I also was a mechanic at American Airlines. Sometimes I would work the planes that were broke at LGB. I love that airport. It really is sad to go down Lakewood blvd and see all the old Douglas buildings that I used to work in gone! I dont even work in the aviation industry anymore, but when I see what is left of Douglas, it brings tears to my eyes.

atcrick

Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:10 am

Midnight Mike,

The Allegiant Aircraft you saw was indeed a charter. I can't remember if it was a charter to IFP, RNO, or one of several charters we are doing during March Madness. And the places we are going proves the name to be correct.

Rgds,

Atc Rick
natch!!

MidnightMike

Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:29 am

Quoting RiffedAAMech (Reply 28):
live 5 minutes from LGB and have seen the simulator buildings on Clark. I would love to try flying on one of those!
I used to work at Douglas and I also was a mechanic at American Airlines. Sometimes I would work the planes that were broke at LGB. I love that airport. It really is sad to go down Lakewood blvd and see all the old Douglas buildings that I used to work in gone! I dont even work in the aviation industry anymore, but when I see what is left of Douglas, it brings tears to my eyes.

I am going to be in the office on Sunday giving another Airliners.net member a building tour, you are more than welcome to stop by the training center as well?

[email protected]

Mike
NO URLS in signature

MidnightMike

Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:30 am

Atc Rick

Thanks Rick! You know that Allegiant does there simulator training using the MD88 simulator in Long Beach........
NO URLS in signature

mirrodie

Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:36 am

One of the best things about Long Beach is the Alteon Flight sim facility, right there only 5 minutes away!

check out my thread here:

https://www.airliners.net/discussions/trip_reports/read.main/36490

Mike will take great care of you. I've been there twice(both times with my wife) and it won't cost more than a decent Valentine's date for two.

Also, just 2 weeks ago, I sent my dad out there for 1 day and he was thrilled! he literally left JFK at 730 AM, was in LGB at 1030 and flew two sims, had a great run of the place and was back on the plane for a 730 PM flight.

Dad cant stop raving about the great people he met at Alteon and hte great time he had there.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

lightsaber

Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:59 am

Quoting MidnightMike (Reply 30):
I am going to be in the office on Sunday giving another Airliners.net member a building tour, you are more than welcome to stop by the training center as well?

I happen to be that "other Airliners.net" member.  Smile

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

MidnightMike

Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:47 am

Quoting Mirrodie (Reply 32):
Also, just 2 weeks ago, I sent my dad out there for 1 day and he was thrilled! he literally left JFK at 730 AM, was in LGB at 1030 and flew two sims, had a great run of the place and was back on the plane for a 730 PM flight.

Mirrodie

Great, glad that Daddy had a good time, he was a very nice man, was a pleasure to have him over!

Mike
NO URLS in signature

RiffedAAMech

Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:08 pm

MidnightMike,
Unfortunately I have to work on Sunday. Thanks for the invite though.

MidnightMike

Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:01 am

Quoting RiffedAAMech (Reply 35):
MidnightMike,
Unfortunately I have to work on Sunday. Thanks for the invite though.

No worries, let me know when you are free & I will take you around.

Mike
NO URLS in signature

dacman

Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:09 am

I grew up around Long Beach Airport and Douglas and still live here and go to the airport every afternoon to watch and photograph airplanes. People say LGB is boring and that is true nowadays with the demise of Douglas. But on the other hand, you never know what might float in. I have spotted and photographed a wide variety of airliners/airlines, bizjets, and military aircraft at LGB over the years and have a nice photo/slide collection to show for it.

Doug (a fellow photographer and spotter) and I have a saying about LGB which is as follows; "LGB is hours and hours of complete boredom, with moments of shear ecstasy."

LGB is a great Airport to fly in and out of and yes the wait for your baggage off AA, AS, and HP Ex flights can be quite frustrating sometimes, (jetBlue is much, much better) I've lived it.

Well that's my two cents about my home airport. If you ever find yourself in the Devry parking lot watching airplanes and you see a van with "LGBGUY" plates that's me, come over and say howdy.

Mike
lgbguy
(dacman)
"Airliner Photography is not a crime"

PSA53

Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:57 am

I know I have posted this before.
But at one time,LGB was a great spotter
and photographers dream.This is one of
my best photo there.If digital video cameras
were available back then.Wow!

http://catchoursmile.com/psa53.jpg

Pacific Southwest(PSA),in new,short lived, flat colors.
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

atcrick

Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:02 am

Midnight Mike,

Yes I did know that. They also do their ditching drills in a pool somewhere down there. I'd love to come down there and see that MD-88 sim.

Atc Rick
natch!!

MidnightMike

Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:34 am

Rick

Allegiant also uses our MD80 cabin trainer for the pilots & the flight attendants, it would make sense to do the ditching elsewhere.
NO URLS in signature

PizzaPolli

Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:08 am

I can also attest to how amazing a sim ride at Alteon is. My report is at 717 From The Left Seat: LGB-LAX-LGB(pictures Soon) (by PizzaPolli Jan 31 2005 in Trip Reports)

Hey Mike, I still plan to come back to fly the MD-11. Been busy with work but hopefully I'll have time soon.

MidnightMike

Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:44 pm

Pizzapolli

Great, hope to see ya back!

Here is the new website for the simulator rides,
http://alteonlongbeach.com
We are still working on it, told my people to add photos for the simulators and some additional information for the simulator rides.....
NO URLS in signature

RJ

Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:42 am

Oh yes, fond memories of LGB.

My aviation career started at a little FBO next to Spring street and 25L back in 1990. I had my first solo there and also received my Private pilot's certificate and Instrument rating there.

Back in 1990 LGB was a decent reliever airport for LAX. All of the big players in the SoCal area had flights out of LGB. I remember American, Alaska, United, America West, Fed Ex, and UPS. I can remember flying left downwind for 25L while practicing one of the hundreds of touch and go's that I did there, and watching American MD-80's landing on rwy 30 flying below me! I also remember seeing unpainted MD-11's and MD-80's on test flights. I remember an MD-11 departing on rwy 30 and it was airborne by time it reached the intersection of 25L. Absolutely amazing deck angle on that!

I also saw some aviation history while I was there. I saw the first flight of the C-17. It took off of rwy 12, complete with chase planes and flew straight out towards the ocean. I never did see it turn......... The airport was packed that day. Everybody was trying to get a good view and lots of people had their scanners on. It was quite the production.

Oh, and I occasionally still go back to the Pilot Shop next to the terminal every now and then when I'm in town. There is just something about supporting your aviation roots. I guess it wasn't a coincident that when I moved out of California it was at LGB that sent me on my way.

Happy Flying!!!!

RJ

sunking737

Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:49 pm

Does anyone remember a small flight school at LGB called Long Beach Flyers?
I had a high school class at Jordan High School while, I was at Lakewood High School, Does the name Bill Bolla ring a bell with anyone. He was my teacher and was cool. If you passed a test with an "A" you got a free ride in a 172.

2 of us were to go but the other student did not show, so Mr. Bolla took me, my brother and my mom up. Oh what fun we had. Just wondered what happen to him.
"Don't believe it unless its parked on the ramp, or printed in the schedule...SUBJECT TO CHANGE"

ramerinianair

Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:17 pm

Mike,
Can you get anybody in? I'm in my flihgt training now and I would love to fly a 717 sim! Also, How much is the ride?
Thanks,
Steven in NY
W N = my Worst Nightmare!!!!!

RiffedAAMech

Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:38 pm

Quoting Sunking737 (Reply 44):
I had a high school class at Jordan High School while, I was at Lakewood High School, Does the name Bill Bolla ring a bell with anyone. He was my teacher and was cool. If you passed a test with an "A" you got a free ride in a 172.

Sunking 737, When did you go to Jordan? I graduated from Jordan High in '86. I now live a half block away from Lakewood High school. Was that teacher at Jordan or Lakewood? What class did he teach? The name does sound familiar.

sunking737

Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:20 am

RiffedAAMech I attended Lakewood, Class of '78. It was an Aviation class at Jordan. It was a 2 hour class.

I was in Navy JROTC also, I have not been back to the LA area or Long Beach / Lakewood since Dec.'78 when we moved back to MN.
I currently work for Sun Country Airlines and would love to take my kids to all the old places we used to hang out at.

I think all the teachers from my time are retired by now.

By the way do you work at AA? A friend of mine from Lakewood works for AA in TUL.

sunking737

Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:23 am

RiffedAAMech, send me an email its in my profile. Would love to chat with you.

MidnightMike

Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:37 am

Quoting RamerinianAir (Reply 45):
Mike,
Can you get anybody in? I'm in my flihgt training now and I would love to fly a 717 sim! Also, How much is the ride?
Thanks,
Steven in NY

$150 for "1" hour no matter which simulator it is.....

http://alteonlongbeach.com/
NO URLS in signature

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos