Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jeffrey1970
Topic Author

Usairways, What Is Going Right For Them

Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:36 pm

I know not much is going right for Usairways. However, for much of last year I heard that by February of this year, they would be out of business. Well march is almost past, and Usairways is still around. So that leads me to wonder for all that is going wrong for them, what is going right for them that is keeping them around?
God bless through Jesus, Jeff

aviaction

RE: Usairways, What Is Going Right For Them

Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:54 pm

Jeff,
That is what I keep asking myself, too. On March 11 I flew 3 segments on US (BOS-PHL, PHL-CLT,CLT-LAX) - and after these flights I'm even more puzzled.
The cabins of all three planes (737,757,A321) were incredibly filthy, the cabin sidewalls and bins hadn't seen a wet cloth in years, seatcovers were threadbare, and armrests and tray-tables were broken. Especially in the 737 meters and meters of duct tape was used to fix things. For cabin maintenance no money seems to be available. Very reassuring ...not.

On the CLT-LAX leg, halfway into the flight, the faucets in the lavs ran dry. Very obviously ground staff at CLT had forgotten to refill the fresh-water tanks. Very scary ... it makes one wonder what else they might forget, unnoticed. On the same flight, meals were available for purchase. Regrettably, supplies lasted only till row 15, which means more than half of the passengers were put on a diet. Very poor planning.

Check-in at Logan Airport was chaotic, far too few agents were available.

However, cabin crews of all three flights were good, charming, attentive, well-groomed and friendly. A very positive experience. Also, all flights left and arrived on time, quite an achievement nowadays.

I am sure you can imagine these flights left me with very mixed emotions, I have the impression, however, US Airways has already passed away. They only haven't noticed yet.

[Edited 2005-03-23 15:57:45]
German by nationality, European by heart!

slider

Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:19 am

Ummmmm....

Ummmmm.....

Hmmmm, well, there's....er, never mind. Then there's the, um, er, no, not that either.

The only thing that's keeping US in action is the cash infusion of more moronic creditors, the patience of aircraft lessors, sheer liquidity and perhaps the grace of God.

Their performance has been horrid, ontime, bag stats, you name it. Run the string out and call it a day already.

stlgph

Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:33 am

Quoting Slider (Reply 2):
Their performance has been horrid, ontime, bag stats, you name it. Run the string out and call it a day already.

Recent report shows they lost 330% more bags in 2004 than in 2003. Not surprising following the Christmas debalicle, but still.

What is going for them is thus far they have been damn lucky. The press alone at Christmas time during what happened systemwide (particularly Phl) was just....shattering.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

casinterest

Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:00 am

They have regional airlines providing financing, which is better than what United currently has. However United still has more cash on hand.
Where ever you go, there you are.

727LOVER

Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:15 am

Quoting CasInterest (Reply 4):
They have regional airlines providing financing, which is better than what United currently has. However United still has more cash on hand.

Does UA have more cash on hand??? Remember, you have to relate to size.
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

DAYflyer

Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:43 am

Regretably, nothing I can think of. They are functioning on life support only. It is just a matter of time until someone pulls the plug. All of my flying experiences with them have been horrible over the last couple of years, so I have avoided them at any cost. Same with UAL.
One Nation Under God

quickmover

Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:12 am

How about these recent finanacing deals? Are they only contengent on something else happening first?

FlyHoss

Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:38 am

GE came with $140 million to start this latest round of cash infusions. GE also set some covenants that might be "do-able" if more bad luck doesn't strike (including exiting Chapter 11 in June).
I think the biggest reason they did so was to prevent having to take many airplanes back (that GE leases to US Airways); I read one report that said GE leases 211 airplanes to US though I find it difficult to believe that they would allow themselves to be so exposed.
A little bit louder now, a lil bit louder now...

supa7E7

Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:09 am

US route planning has been pretty smart. They have access to more lucrative markets than any LCC out there. And after harsh paycuts and layoffs, they are nearing LCC cost levels. Airplane utilization is up at LCC levels now.

Some said you can't cut your way to profitability. But that is exactly what US Airways has been doing -- its revenues have always been relatively strong.
"Who's to say spaceships aren't fine art?" - Phil Lesh

ATLhomeCMH

Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:24 am

I haven't flown US in a couple years (since 2002), but even then I could notice the decline in service...not just them, but all airlines, really.

My sister said something funny to me recently...she's not an aviation buff like I am, and normally flies on DL when she travels...but she had just flown US this past weekend CHS-CLT-CMH rt to visit us, and when I asked her how her trip on US was, she said "Well, it was ok, but I like Delta better."

That's not saying much.

The innocence of that statement indicated to me that if travelers who aren't frequent fliers are starting to notice the difference, then they really have problems.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who like US, and I'm not trying to start a "US sucks" argument, but its definitely something to think about.
"The most terrifying words in the Engligh language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'"-Ronald Reagan

captaink

Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:22 pm

Ok, Aviaction may have had quite a bad day on US AIrways.. BUt come on, anyone reading that post would be scared as hell to fly them.. I was on US Airways about two weeks ago.

BGI-PHL A320
PHL-LGA E145
LGA-PHL A321
PHL-BGI A319

The flights were all great, nothing out of the ordinary, felt just like flying AA or another US major. The aicraft were quite clean. One of the aircraft had some strange gummy spot on the side panel and the FA took a tissue and scrubbed it clean. The counter/gate staff were friendly enough, I dont want anyone to kiss my feet when I am checking in, but they were friendly, helpful again nothing out of the ordinary. By the way I was travelling nonrev.

There was one negative part of the trip and it was the worst i ever experienced in all the years I have been jumping on and off of US airplanes.. I got bumped off a leg and the gate agents were less than helpful. That was counteracted by a totally angel of an agent, that was helping me with my bag that apparently went on the flight without me.. (one of those days) Get this, she was working in the PDQ department. She was as helpful as you can get, made notes in my PNR, printed it out, printed out a copy of the VIL/VNR for my flights.etc..

In PHL, met another really sweet agent who worked with me in getting a seat on a very full flight to BGI.

All airlines have staff that don't represent well. Quite a few airlines have airplanes that have seen better days. But we know that doesn't make the airline in its entirety.

Ii is very true, many people have foretold US Airways future incorrectly. Many death dates were set, but US Airways is still fighting. Still as with most airlines their future is not set in gold, but who knows, they may fail as well as they may survive.

Come off the US Airways bashing for a bit..
Look Up

SonOfACaptain

Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:23 pm

What's going right you ask. Well this....

US Airways hopping as Easter travel starts

With Spring Break under way, combined with the start of
Easter Week travel, US Airways enjoyed near-full
flights over the weekend and its first taste of the
busy spring and summer travel months to come. In fact,
the past few days marked three of just 13 days that US
Airways has exceeded a 90 percent load factor, since
the company began tracking that data in 1987.

June 30, 2000, was the first time that US Airways
exceeded a 90 percent load factor, with 90.9 percent.
Since then, the company posted a new high on Dec. 1,
2002 (the Sunday after Thanksgiving), with 92.3
percent. On Saturday, March 19, US Airways had a
mainline load factor of 91.1 percent, the second
highest and pushing the June 2000 statistic into third
place. Friday's loads of 90.8 percent tied with March
13, 2004, for fourth place in the company's load factor
annals. Sunday saw load factors of 90.1 percent, still
bringing up an impressive 11th place.

Employees across the system adroitly met the tasks at
hand over the weekend. We exceeded a 99 percent
departure completion factor on all three days. With no
mainline flights canceled on Saturday, US Airways
completed 100 percent of its mainline departures. Loads
again are expected to exceed 90 percent over the course
of the next week, and the same employee effort will be
needed to meet the various demands of peak travel days.

-SOAC
Non Illegitimi Carborundum

PSU.DTW.SCE

Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:29 pm

I'll give a nod to the Piedmont & former Allegheny guys and girls. They run a top-notch operation. At least they do the Dash-8 operations right.

goingboeing

Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:32 am

SOC - high load factors are great, but high load factors with low yields are not.

nomadic

Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:48 am

I have been reading about how horrible USAiways had become and actually believed it after a worse than terrible flight from Rome to Philadelphia 18 months ago. I was pleasantly surprised to have two enjoyable flights on March 07, Albany, NY-Charlotte-Ft. Lauderdale.

The ALB CLT flight was full but service was friendly, aircraft (737-300) reasonably comfortable and clean. We arrived 15 minutes early.
CLT FLL was just as nice. 757-200 aircraft was 3/4 full. Again, friendly service, clean and pleasant. Another early arrival.

Charlotte is still a great place to connect, especially when connecting time is tight.

USAirways is the #2 carrier out of Albany and I hope they make it. They have got my support again.

nomadic

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos