Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Ciro
Topic Author

My E-mail To Iberia Customer Services

Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:09 am

Dear Sir /Mum, (Locator: 2J247R/1A)

I truly regret to have approached you with such a complain. For the very first time I faced the inconvenience of being trapped inside a terminal lounge due to the high-traffic of passenger arriving at the same time in the international halls of Barajas Airport. Due to such event, I missed my connection in the morning of March 15th, 2005. My flight from Sao Paulo (GRU) to Toulouse (TLS) via MAD (IB 8766 & IB 6824) was checked through in Brazil, where my luggage was sent directly to the final destination and my boarding passes issued. The flight from Brazil arrived in Spain at 06:47 and the connection to France boarding time was 07:30. For anyone who is familiar with the the peak passenger periods in MAD knows it is IMPOSSIBLE to go through all the normal security checks, passport controls and to change from Terminal T1 to Terminal T3 in just 45 minutes.

When I was finally cleared in the collecting luggage hall in terminal T1, along with all the other passengers who arrived in the same flight, it was already 08:20 and I promptly approached the first Iberia desk found to ask on how to proceed regarding the missed connection. The airline gentleman requested my luggage back at 08:21 saying the aircraft could not depart with un-acomppanied luggage (which is understandable) and told me to look for assistance outside the arrivals hall.

It took me another one hour to get my luggage back and another 15 minutes to arrive at T3.

I was deeply surprised to see how badly welcomed was my approach and talking to the sales agent at T3. The way she exposed my missed connection was explicitly my fault because "45 minutes is more than enough to do what I had to do". It took her a lot of courage and lack of common-sense to say that in front of other 3 fellow passengers who were in the same situation as I was (she probably assumed we were all dumb and first-time travellers). She further, unilaterely, concluded it was not Iberia's fault and if I had any claim to do it should be straight to Aena. Of course, the problem could have been easily solved by simply applying what the other carriers do throughout the world: The assignment of another seat in the next available flight.

However, the above did not happen at all. All the Iberia agents, including Customer Service, draw a scenario where the missing connection was entirely my own fault and if I wanted to board in the next available flight, I would need to pay an extra 100 Euros fee for the applied changes, which there was no choice for me but doing it or staying stacked in MAD. In addition to that, this situation caused me a full missed day, extra airport meal expenses, stress while dealing with the rude airline staff and lost confidence in unreliable services provided.

This is not acceptable! First of all, as the major tenant at MAD airport, Iberia knows exactly how congested the terminals are in the morning. How could it assume that a regular connecting overseas passenger can make it through in only 45 minutes? If not, how could it allowed the issuing check-through boarding pass in GRU? Even worse, how could one expects that an inneficency-related problem that was caused either by Iberia or by its service-provider Alena should be paid by the final customer, in this case myself.

Due to all the inconveniences related above, I kindly ask you to refund my EUR 100 re-booking fee plus EUR 20 for extra meal expense in MAD and plus EUR 22 related to the taxi ride I had to catch in my final destination.

I look forward to hear from you soon.

Best regards,

Ciro Camargo

Scorpio

RE: My E-mail To Iberia Customer Services

Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:27 am

Um, does your mother work for Iberia?  Wink (FYI, 'Mum' means 'mother')

On topic, seems like IB's service gets more screwed up with each passing day!

AlitaliaMD11

Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:32 am

Hate to say it, but I don't think you will get a refund.

I know many people that have missed their conection at MAD and they have always said that it is the persons fault and not the airline. They have demanded to be refunded and Iberia would not do it.

MAD can be really conjested! I know this!

Iberia is not the best airline in the world, thats for sure.
I just flew on their regional airline Air Nostrum and the service was 100% better then Iberias. Iberia could learn a thing or two from Air Nostrum!

I hope that you have luck!

IBERIA747

Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:47 am

I'm really sorry that you had to go through all that...I know how it feels to be treated that way by a customer service agent, no matter what the airline is...

Just a couple of questions:

When you booked your flights, who decided to book a connecting flight that would leave you with just 45 minutes for the whole transit stuff? Did you request it? In case it was not purchased online, was it just decided by the ticketing agent (IB or travel agent)?. Or...was the flight from GRU late on arrival?

To have only 45 minutes to connect to another flight at any airport when you are coming from an intercontinental flight and have to clear immigration first is too risky at any major airport nowadays I guess. There's always a big chance that you won't make it to your connection and that's why many airlines are establishing their "minimum connecting times" between flights.

And even if everything goes smoothly, you will find yourself with little or no time to catch your connecting flight if you have to walk a long distance first to get to the boarding gate, as many flights close their admittance at the gate some minutes before the scheduled departure time.

I hope that everything will be ok.

Ciro
Topic Author

Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:01 am

Scorpio, thanks for pointing up the "mum" typo.

To all others, many thanks for the inputs. Hopefully, things at MAD will get smoother as the new terminal opens soon.

Cheers!

Ciro

SHUPirate1

Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:04 am

Crio-Perhaps you should have mentioned that your connection time was 1:15, not 45 minutes. The flight to Toulouse was scheduled to leave at 8:00 AM, and an hour and 15 minutes is a perfectly legal connection.

Ciro
Topic Author

Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:25 am

SHUPirate1, thanks for your opinion... If you are truly familiar on how MAD is during morning peaks, you may know that not even 1:30hs of yielded time is enough while going through all the international-connection process.

Cheers!

SHUPirate1

Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:17 am

I never said I was familiar, I was just stating the facts. Regardless of what the circumstances were, however, it should have been Iberia's responsibility to get you on a later flight, ESPECIALLY with you booked on a legal connection. Furthermore, since a slowpoke line at the immigration hall is not an "act of god", they should have comped you any further expenses you accrued while at Barajas. That said, I would not, under any circumstances, expect them to agree to pay your taxi fare.

dutchjet

Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:48 am

There are two seperate issues going on here:

First, what is the legal connection time at MAD? If your connection was within the legal limits and you missed the connection due to the situation at the airport at a peak period, IB should have been much more cooperative and simply put you on the next flight without any further charge. Missed connections happen all of the time at major hubs - most airlines confirm a seat for you on the next available departure or, if the next flight is full, put you on a priority standby list. The CO reservations system, for example, does this automatically in most cases, upon your late arrival at the hub, put your onepass card into the machine, and a new boarding pass for the next flight is generally issued. But. if your connection time was not within legal limits, then you took a risk and lost and IB is correct in charging you a fee. Being that several passengers were in the same circumstance that you were in, I have to believe that your connection was "legal".

The second issue is customer service - whatever the circumstance, IB could have and should have been far more accommodating and cooperative - someone in ground services at Mardrid had to aware that many pax arriving on your inbound flight into MAD had tight connections and that such pax could need assistance in trasferring on time and/or could need reaccommodation. Providing extra services and dealing with such matters are part of the price of operating a hub - the airline clearly benefits from extra pax by offering connections at hubs and sometimes a little extra effort is required from the airline. In any case, they could have been more helpful and "too bad, its your fault" is not an acceptable response in your case. I fly with IB from time to time, and IB is not bad if everything goes OK, but when you have problems, their customer service tends to be awful. I know so many people who have had problems with IB's employees and their attitude - its as if IB employees think that they are doing you a big favor for letting you fly with them. Its troubling.

Will you get your refund? I doubt it. Forget about the taxi fare and meal costs, its not going to happen - as for the Euro 100.00 change fee, I think that they should refund it, its not fair and improper, but due to IB's attitude, its unlikely that you will be refunded. Good for you to take the time to write, most pax do not, maybe if enough pax would complain in the appropriate fashion (as you did), IB would change their policies and attitudes. Most pax simply chose to fly other carriers whenever possible.

Avianca

Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:52 am

it is hard to find a worser customer serivce than Iberia has.

Iberia is still on a long long way to improve that.

Yes I still use Iberia, but no due the great service of this airline, yes only due the lack of cheapos to SouthAmerica from Europe...

regards

IBERIA747

Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:07 am

Quoting Ciro (Thread starter):
Most pax simply chose to fly other carriers whenever possible.

Or just choose to say what Avianca has said...

Quoting Avianca (Reply 9):
it is hard to find a worser customer serivce than Iberia has.

But remain flying on them and being "tortured" to save a few bucks  Smile .

Avianca

Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:18 am

Quoting IBERIA747 (Reply 10):
But remain flying on them and being "tortured" to save a few bucks

yes sometimes it was really a torture  bigthumbsup ....

but ok a 150euro differenc is a issue for me....

saludos
Avianca

ahlfors

Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:44 am

If you bought your ticket with a credit card, call your bank about what you should do about filing a dispute and getting a refund that way.

IBERIA747

Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:54 am

The bank would do nothing in this situation since it wouldn't be their responsibility and a fraudulent use of the card would not have been commited.

As far as I know, a bank will only accept that in case the card has been used without your authorization (someone illegaly obtained the card data) or if it has been lost/robbed. Of course the Police will also participate in this last case if necessary.

But if it is a dispute between a person and an airline for a customer service issue, you can be sure that the bank will stay out of it.

myk

Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:58 am

Very important thing is also to know if you had ONE ticket GRU - MAD - TLS issued by the airline or a travel agent

or if you bought two different tickets GRU - MAD and then MAD - TLS

Ciro
Topic Author

Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:14 am

Myk, thanks for your concern... I had one ticket covering all flights, which was issued by a travel agent and promptly accepted while checking through right in the flight origin.

Regards.

Iberia340600

Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:32 pm

Ciro:

A couple of questions:

#1. Are you a Brazil national or a France national? My question being that if you have a French passport, the queue in the European Union lines should have been moving quite quickly. I have gotten to MAD at those times and yes the lines tend to be long but over an 1hour and 20 minutes to get through immigrations seems a bit odd. Even when I have gone through with my American passport(most of the time I enter with my spanish passport) at the most I have been 20 minutes on long lines.

#2. I believe in this situation you are better off going to Aena to ask for a refund because as hard as it is to believe this is not the fault of IB. IB does not control the immigration lines and unfortunately cannot do much to change this. Of course all will change once IB goes to T4. Change fees are change fees, not much can be done to get around that. If the flight from SAO to MAD was late, that is another story...but if it was on time, 1hour and 15 minutes is a legal connection.

How many immigration lines were open that day? This immigration issue Im sure has been addressed but it is obvious nothing has been done to improve the situation at Barajas. Its unfortunate and I agree that the IB agent should have handled it in a better manner but like I said, its difficult to get around the change fee when the system will only accept changes with tarriff rules(although there are ways around it). It is possible that if you had gotten another agent they may have been more helpful. Did you ask for a supervisor by chance?

Keep us updated on the battle to regain the 100 EUR.

rojo

Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:05 am

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 8):
IB is not bad if everything goes OK, but when you have problems, their customer service tends to be awful. I know so many people who have had problems with IB's employees and their attitude - its as if IB employees think that they are doing you a big favor for letting you fly with them. Its troubling.

Employees attitude is not only an IB problem, but a general problem in Spain. Since Spanish laws protect employees so much, it is very difficult for a company to fire people. Employees stay in their work place for years (even if they don't like it) just because it pays good and because it is very difficult to get fired. With a very low mobility rate in the Spanish labor market, people willing to work and be productive can not get the jobs of the underperforming employees; instead, they only find temporary jobs. Airlines like JK and UX are not that old, so they don't have lots of problems with employees, specially the senior ones. With this said, you can see why many IB employees tend to have an "I don't care attitude" and only do what the job manual says for their specific positions.

Quoting Avianca (Reply 9):
it is hard to find a worser customer service than Iberia has.

Agree. The quality of service provided by IB as a member of OneWorld is at the ground level. Yesterday I flew IB MAD-ORD and lots of things went wrong. I was expecting a low level of customer service, but IB managed to lower those standards. Starting with my seat assignment (a window seat changed to an aile seat in the middle of the A340 just because my ticket said AA instead of IB), to a tired flight attendant which didn't care about her job anymore, to a one hour delay to get a substitute flight attendant, plus some other things...

For this trip I booked 3 OneWorld airlines just to compare their service, and I can say that BA was, by far, the best and IB, by far, the worst. I don't understand how can business people agree to fly a BA codeshare flight operated by IB on the LHR-MAD route... BA's product is 10 times better and the flight attendant serving my cabin was a Spaniard born in Tenerife with a perfect english and spanish (she also spoke italian) who had lived in London for 10 years...

swisswings

Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:23 am

Whatever the reasons for the missed connection were, the behavior of the IB staff again proves the poor customer service provided to IB passengers. This airline, representing a grand nation, does by no means reflect the warmth and hospitality of Spain and its people. The IB staff seem to have guaranteed jobs (at least they behave like they do) and their attitude is less than acceptable. My previous experiences with IB were less than satisfactory. There is better service available elsewhere.
I would be surprised to see you get a refund. Still, for your next travels - not on IB - bon voyage.

[Edited 2005-03-28 19:26:11]

Ciro
Topic Author

Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:03 am

Hi Iberia340600,

Thanks for your concern, too. I am a Brazilian national and do not hold an European passport, so I was in the regular immigration lines. I believe they were all open that day and the flow was smooth... The only problem was the quantity of arriving passengers at that time.

It was interesting to note that, for the very first time, my flight went through an additional security check, whereas all our hand-luggage was x-rayed prior to entrance in the immigration hall.

A copy to the original e-mail was sent to Aena.

As Swisswings stated, the Spaniards are by far one of the nicest people in Europe and by no means I believe that such bad impression left by Iberia regarding this unfortunate matter has anything to do with your country, a place which I love deeply.

Cheers!

jetdeltamsy

Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:21 am

Quoting IBERIA747 (Reply 3):
When you booked your flights, who decided to book a connecting flight that would leave you with just 45 minutes for the whole transit stuff?

You should not have been booked on such a close connection.

This shows one of the problems with the customer doing all of his/her own bookings. An experienced reservations agent or travel agent would probably have booked you with more connecting time in Madrid.

You are correct about Madrid. It is chaos during peak times there.

Ciro
Topic Author

Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:38 am

Jetdeltamsy, as mentioned before; my booking was done through a travel-agent. Regarding the fact the connection time was way too close, Iberia should have never accepted my checking through back in GRU.

Thanks!

Fermarta

Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:08 am

Quoting Ciro (Reply 19):
It was interesting to note that, for the very first time, my flight went through an additional security check, whereas all our hand-luggage was x-rayed prior to entrance in the immigration hall

This is really strange. Where did this check take place? Usually only passengers transferring to flights departing from sections A and B have to go through this hand- luggage check. Rest of the passengers go straight down to customs.

Anyway I think this is an important point and that you should have mentioned it on the e-mail.

Ciro
Topic Author

Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:51 am

Hi Fermarta,

The hand-luggage x-ray and security checks were all undergone at T1, right in the jetway entrance by the arrivals hall.

GuyBetsy1

Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:22 pm

The minimum connecting time between IB flights is 1 hour.
It is considered an international IB flight connecting to another international flight - even though it is within the EU.

The online display through IB's own CRS permits a connection as such, however, I cannot find a flight which departs at 730am.

IB's display are as follows when booking from GRU to TLS:
29MAR TUE GRU/Z-3 TLS/‡5
IB RESPONSE ** DIRECT CONNECT PARTICIPANT **
** IBERIA - AN ** 0 TU 29MAR 0709
7IB 6824 F4 A0 J9 D9 I8 GRUMAD 345P 645A‡1 340 0
8IB*8764 C4 D4 I4 Y9 B8 H8 S4 TLS 800A 915A CRJ 0

So a minimum connecting time of 1 hour plus is shown here. Your reservation clearly does not have the required 1 hour minimum.

SHUPirate1

Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:25 am

GuyBetsy1-Those were his flights. He mentioned 7:30 AM as the requested boarding time. However, the flight was scheduled for an 8:00 AM departure. Clearly, he DID have the required one hour minimum.

GuyBetsy1

Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:30 am

Sorry..SHUPirate1... I didn't read his post carefully.

So it is still IB's fault.

I do understand his predicament. I flew BA last Oct from LHR to BCN. Upon arrival at BCN, we just cleared immigration and took the first escalator down from the arrivals hall. There was no other signage.

After about 20 mins, we approached the baggage counter only to see a sign measuring 2" by 4" stating that BA flights now clear through Terminal A (as with IB flights). Gee it would help to have someone tell us that before we went to the arrivals hall.

We left Terminal C and walked to Terminal A. No sign. No one to help. We had to go through passport control again, to explain to the bewildered immigration officer as to why we have no boarding pass but an arrival BP. Thank goodness my friend spoke fluent Spanish so she could explain what happened.

Really really HATE IB overall. How on earth they are in the ONEWORLD alliance is anyone's guess.

PA110

Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:44 am

Folks,
IB's notorious lack of customer service aside... Airlines and airports should reexamine minimum connect times in light of added security since 9/11. What is considered to be minimum legal connect time in some airports is now virtually impossible. I don't know what governing body or bodies determines this information, but given my recent past experience all the following airports should reexamine legal minimums: LHR, FRA, CPH, CDG, MAD. Also JNB.

Yu138086

Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:00 pm

Hey GuyBetsy1...

Here is another short connection time for you to research (I like how you were able to pull up the flight details for the IB flight)

YYZ-BEG connecting in VIE on May 6/05 on Austrian Airlines... 2 seperate planes...45 minutes i think is the stated connection/transfer time. Is this possible to do? Anyone ever connected through Vienna?

Don't know why Euro airports have such short connection times

Cheers.

Iberia340600

Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:29 pm

Quoting Ciro (Reply 23):
Hi Fermarta,

The hand-luggage x-ray and security checks were all undergone at T1, right in the jetway entrance by the arrivals hall.

Ciro:

I agree with Fermarta...this is very strange and I have never seen it before. Usually it is only done for International to International connections(i.e.- if you were continuing on to a non-shengen country). I hope you did mention this in your e-mail as it is a very important sticking point. That would explain the extra time it took to go through customs. Has this happened to you before when transiting from Brazil? If this is a commonly occurs, I believe something should be done as far as minimum connection times because 60 minutes will definitely not be enough.

I believe this is definitely an issue that needs to be looked at jointly between not only IB but all the other airlines operating at Barajas with AENA.

Also, it is unfortunate that a few bad apples give IB a bad name. I assure you that not all employees are this way and there are many that are willing to help you to the fullest extent. As mentioned in a prior post, for me the biggest problem is the fact that in Spain, once you work somewhere, you are basically guaranteed a lifetime job without worrying of being fired. So while this is an IB problem, it is also a labor problem, and I think its time that the labor laws in Spain are updated to comply with job fulfillment termination issues.

Hopefully your next trip with IB is a more pleasant experience. What I do not agree with are those that say that you should avoid IB...just because of one bad experience does not mean it will happen the next time. If everyone had a bad experience on IB, you would see millions of complaints and that is not the case. I know many that have had very pleasant experiences even when things have gone bad(that is because those that were helping out...did just that...helped out).

jafa39

Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:01 pm

If there was time to get your luggage off the a/c surely there was time to put you on it? Be quicker to put you on too.

Or are some mysterious airline logostics I am not party to?

Had a similar incident on an NZ domestic flight, they waited until the last minute, it was a pax or luggage thing and in this case luggage won as no passenger, had they turned up they would have been allowed on.

Lockheed1011

Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:13 pm

IBERIA747,

Please do not take it personal, but please be honest to your self. IB is lacking of good customer service. If you call reservation for help or changes, you are out of luck! At the airport (MAD), lets not even go there!!!!  Sad They are terrible. No doubt about it that Iberia is the biggest carrier out of Spain, but that is the only big thing of Iberia. Not to mention the national fares.
I fly them when I have no other choice, but I really, really avoid them.

Ciro, MAD is a good airport. Spain is one of my favorite destinations, try a different carrier next time.

Wish you good luck but I do not see IB giving you a refund. They make you feel like they are doing you a favor flying you point to point. They forget we are paying customers.  Sad

varig md-11

Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:36 pm

well I don't want to sound too bitchy but for an airline that is wanting to become one of the biggest in the EU with "the biggest" hub as read in previous posts, things have to change a bit I guess....
and also after this story I am not surprised that IB is making a profit though they have an "average" product

what happened is outrageous and I would be more than pissed off too.
some remarks:

- if IB is a good airline and wants to avoid this kind of incidents, they have to post agents out of the GRU flight to guide connecting pax in a speedy and efficient way thru immig or security: AF does that very often @ CDG

- unfortunately (fortunately?) neither IB or AENA have weight on immigration queues, but IB should know that 1 hour connection is tight in the morning and shouldn't react stupidly to your legitimate claim

- after a 12 hour flight and arrival in an unknown busy terminal you're entitled to be rebooked on the next available flight for free if you missed your 1 hour connection....if the airline is saying no: i'ts a lousy airline, period.
AF rebooked my CDG-AMS flight for FREE once because the suburb train from downtown Paris to CDG was 1 hour late after a suicide: AF customer service got to know it and rebooked me in no time, only comment they made : "oh you're one of the guys stranded in the train for 1 hours? I'll rebook you right away in next available flight"

717SK

Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:04 am

I see that this connection is give when requesting IB in Amadeus.
When checking the MCT (minimum connection time) in Amadeus from IB to IB and international to International get the following response from T1 to T3 (100min)

DMIB/MAD/IB/30MAR05
MAD IB TO IB
MAD-MAD FROM - TO D/D D/I I/D I/I
CC FLTN-FLTR ORGN EQPTM-CC FLTN-FLTR DEST EQPTM HMM HMM HMM HMM
IB 1- 2 --- --- --- 100
1-IB 2 --- --- --- 100
IB 1-IB 1 045 045 045 045
IB 2-IB 1 100 100 100 100
IB 3-IB 1 100 100 100 100
IB 1-IB 2 100 100 100 100
IB 2-IB 2 045 045 045 045
IB 3-IB 2 045 045 045 045
IB 1-IB 3 100 100 100 100

So in the end I think that the fault is on IB side.

Brgds

eisenbach

Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:31 am

Quoting Yu138086 (Reply 28):

Vienna is a small airport with nearly no walking times and normally fast immigration lanes. 45 Minutes should be no problem, if the flight have no delay. If both flights are Austrian flights, you should really have no problem, that they book you on the next flight.

I once missed an Austrian flight and had no problem. My aunt also missed one time a flight from BEY to VIE because of a traffic jam in Beirut and they gave her without any problems a seat in the plane on the next day - this is service!!!

Stefan

TAP1972

Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:44 am

Couldn't a Quick Transfer service work for this specific situation, as 45 mins is really a short connection, bearing in mind that usually, the boarding starts half an hour before the flight time?

Fermarta

Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:51 am

Quoting GuyBetsy1 (Reply 26):
Really really HATE IB overall. How on earth they are in the ONEWORLD alliance is anyone's guess.

So, you have a bad experience with BA at BCN and, as a result, you hate IB. Am I missing something?

Quoting Varig md-11 (Reply 32):
if IB is a good airline and wants to avoid this kind of incidents, they have to post agents out of the GRU flight to guide connecting pax in a speedy and efficient way thru immig or security: AF does that very often @ CDG

They do, there is always an IB agent out of the GRU flight because a lot of passengers of this flight connect to LIS with just 60 min to make the transfer.

varig md-11

Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:46 am

ok Fermata, that's a good step
but then what happened to our friend? he missed this connecting agent...
even admitting that, it's the 1st time I heard about this denial of free rebooking because of missed connection...it's not as if he went to downtown Madrid to see a friend and came back in the afternoon to MAD to be rebooked

Iberia340600

Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:53 am

Quoting Fermarta (Reply 36):
So, you have a bad experience with BA at BCN and, as a result, you hate IB. Am I missing something?

Fermarta,

Dont bother, his post makes no sense whatsoever. How he ended up going from Terminal A to Terminal C and then back and saying there are no signs in Barcelona?? There are signs everywhere. On top of it hates IB but flew in on BA? Im just as puzzled as you.

Fermarta

Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:12 am

Varig md-11, I work at MAD as an IB Customer Service Agent. The important thing of this story is the extra security check that Ciro says it happened upon arrival at MAD (even though as I said in an earlier post, he didn't mentioned it on his e-mail). If this happened I am sure that IB was aware of this thing and that all passengers who missed their connections as a result of it were offered free rebookings. The same thing happened the other day when there were problems with the jetway of the SDQ flight.
Maybe the ticket sales agent at T3 did not know about this, but it is really strange that he/she didn't sent Ciro to our offices, they always do when a customer ask for a free rebooking after a missed connection. Even though we are terrible.

Quoting Lockheed1011 (Reply 31):
At the airport (MAD), lets not even go there!!!! They are terrible

Regards.

Ciro
Topic Author

Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:30 am

Dear Fermata,

Thank you for all the insights. What are my real chances to get a refund? Is there anything you can suggest me to add in a second e-mail?

Your concern was truly appreciated and IB does deserve another chance.

Regards.

Fermarta

Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:52 am

Hi, Ciro:

Just make clear these 3 things:you had a tight connection, you don't have an European passport and that something unusual happened.

You should get your refund.

Hasta pronto.

panamandy

Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:24 am

once i flew from vienna to san juan with my mum as she suffers from asthma she need oxygen onboard the aircraft and special assistance !

i can say iberia staff in madrid did their utmost to assist us ! my mum denied to be carried around in a wheelchair and insisted not to be carried on a mans shoulder onboard the aircraft as she was well .... didnt want it.

as we had to board first all other pax had to wait until she climbed the stairs and that took 15 minutes, the flight attendents still welcomed us and we experienced a wonderful and very pleasant flight.

to all iberia staff in madrid muchas gracias, look forward to board another iberia flight!

IBERIA747

Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:13 am

Quoting Lockheed1011 (Reply 31):
IBERIA747,

Please do not take it personal, but please be honest to your self.

No problem Lockheed1011...but. Were you talking to me?..I mean, weren't you maybe trying to address someone else and wrote my username by mistake?.

Ciro
Topic Author

Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:39 am

Fermata, many thanks! Looking forward to visit Madrid again very soon.

anxebla

Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:19 am

IB is not SQ or CX but neither IB is "shit". And your remark about Spaniards ...está de más (which in Eng means= is not necessary do it)

But I agree, sometimes is a very good idea writing a complaint letter. Customers must to claim his/her rights in a scenario like that ...because it is worth!!

Ciro ...you are within your rights.

IBERIA747

Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:55 am

Quoting MIA (Reply 45):
Iberia is shit. This is why I avoid flying with them like the plague. This is not the first time I hear of something like this happeneing. Some Spaniards are so stuck up they need to be brought down to reality.

LOL...what a rude little guy. I bet you must have a lot of experience about eveything in your short life (¿¿??). Are you Doggie Howser's twin brother or something?   

I remember you from another thread about IB...you're the kid who said nothing but "nice things" about us Spaniards and kept insulting us...(calling "jiripollas" instead of "gilipollas" to another fellow user from Spain, and other things).

Is that all you have learnt at college? Very interesting.

[Edited 2005-03-30 21:58:05]

JOSEMEX

Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:56 am

>Iberia is shit<

This coming from someone who, according to his own profile, has never set foot on an IB flight or a spanish airport.

You hate IB just because they're spanish.

Fermarta

Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:25 am

The usual contribution from MIA to any IB thread.

Ya estamos todos.

TAP1972

Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:32 am

Quoting MIA (Reply 45):
Iberia is shit.

Have you ever flown IB?

Quoting MIA (Reply 45):
Some Spaniards are so stuck up they need to be brought down to reality

That's not an adequate comment to make on this forum....
Surely it can also work vice-versa.... (if you get the point), but not to be discussed in this forum

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos