Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UN_B732
Topic Author

JAT Using Tunisian Mechanics! More Fuel For Saga.

Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:34 pm

http://www.b92.net/english/news/index.php?order=priority
B92 now reporting that JAT has brought in mechanics from Tunis to work on the aircraft. I find it ridiculous that if what Bogdanovic is saying is true, the Tunisians are making 7-8,000 euros monthly, which is far more than what JAT mechanics were requesting, and previously receiving. The Serbian article is more detailed with this.
What now?

wassch71

RE: JAT Using Tunisian Mechanics! More Fuel For Saga.

Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:46 pm

Here's the link to the article in English:

http://www.b92.net/english/news/index.php

Apparently JU has started to fire its own mechanics... anyone knows if the international labor regulations cited in the article are true?
MEA...Like No Other

AMSSpotter

Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:37 am

Quoting UN_B732 (Thread starter):
I find it ridiculous that if what Bogdanovic is saying is true, the Tunisians are making 7-8,000 euros monthly, which is far more than what JAT mechanics were requesting

JAT probably decided that getting their message across ("If you strike, you risk being fired") was worth paying the extra Euro's to mechanics that were willing to work.
I'm not against striking and I didn't know about the strike, so I can't really say if it was reasonable or "legitimate" but this is probably what motivated JAT to pay more than what the JAT-mechanics were actually asking. Also don't know if JAT's move was legitimate or not. I see it as poker-playing on JAT-management's part and they probably want to see if they can get away with it.

eyesinthesky

Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:04 pm

7-8000 Eur/month?
Sign me up!!!!!! That must be an incorrect figure. If it is correct, I am packing my bags.

Srecan put!!

EyEs

UN_B732
Topic Author

Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:28 pm

Lol.. I thought it was a bit off ball too but who knows.
Looks like the engineers are now set to strike April 2nd if the management doesn't do anything for the original mechanics, and stops firing them. This just becomes more and more interesting.
In addition, I heard an interesting theory today, that the management's actions may merely be a provocation to lower the value for JAT in a privatization situation, which could be quite lucrative for some members of govt.
What now?

Aleksandar

Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:24 am

Well, there is a possibility that you are right UN_B732, but remember that JAT's value is realistically low. It is an airline with old fleet and too many employees and it can hardly be sold to anybody as such. Any possible investor could only invest heavily in the airline before it starts to bring any real profit.

I don't want to to sound as if I'm for every action made by the menagement, but there were way to many strikes in the last six months and they caused huge losses to already troubled airline. Hiring foreign mechanics might not be a financially sound solution, but there are not much options left and if it is just a way for menagement to show the mechanics that they are not irreplacable, I'm for it.

There were speculations made by the strikers that Tunisian mechanics are not qualified for the job and it sounded very arrogant. After all, there are few airlines in Tunisia with impeccable safety record and obviously highly qualified stuff, not to mention that all of them have newer planes than JAT. Obviously, once again it seems that many in JAT still live in the airline's "glory days" of 1980s.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

UN_B732
Topic Author

Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:54 am

While I can see where your coming from with it showing the mechanics that they can't protest, now I believe we will simply have more angry JAT employees, as we can see with engineers going on strike April 2nd.
I think eventually it will come down to them rehiring their Serbian mechanics,whether they like it or not, as an airline cannot exist with Tunisian mechanics at such a price forever.
-Mr. X
What now?

Aleksandar

Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:43 am

Quoting UN_B732 (Reply 6):
While I can see where your coming from with it showing the mechanics that they can't protest

What does it mean?

I've never said that they can't protest. In fact, it is very possible that they do have rights to protest, but the price of such protest is too high. Do you know how many passengers said they will never fly JAT again after they were left to wait at the airport? Previously, strike happened during the end of Christmas season and many passengers were unable to show up at work thanks to JAT's unsolved problems. Do you think they will ever buy JAT's ticket? Why nobody says about that loss, not to mention the one made now.

Personally, I don't think the main problem is with employees in hangars, but with the ones in nice offices in JAT's HQ where nobody does its job. At least, not properly.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

JAT

Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:14 pm

As I understand it, they are on strike due to not having had al their wages paid. Apparently, the management managed to use up its whole wage budget for the year 2004 in something like 10 months. Of course, the Serbian government, which is the owner of JAT, does not want to dip into the coffers to help JAT out. This is for a number of reason, ranging from keeping inflation low, to obeying IMF and World Bank agreements to not setting a trend for other public companies to follow. I don't know what to say about the protest... Sometimes I just feel like JAT should be sold off, everyone fired, everything sold off and then a new airline started with whatever capital may be left over. The 8 Airbuses they ordered could be a nice start  Smile

UN_B732
Topic Author

Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:49 am

I guess I miswrote what I meant. "if it is just a way for menagement to show the mechanics that they are not irreplacable, I'm for it." I misunderstood what you said. Sorry about that.
It does seem like simply mismanagement. I hope it's dealt with soon. They're certainly losing business, I was planning to fly them to BNX, and my relatives are all taking LH/AZ out of BEG on their own metal rather than risk it with the JAT strikes.
What now?

JU101

Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:21 pm

It is evident to everyone that Jat is significantly overstaffed. These strikes are, in my mind, just an attempt to sabotage the necessary reforms of the airline. Many would regard the attempted rationalization as a mechanism that is meant to lead the airline into bankruptcy. I ask myself, how can a handfull of Tunisian mechanics lift the whole fleet, a job that was previously conducted by nearly 600 Jat mechanics! Am I missing something?

UN_B732
Topic Author

Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:00 am

Are all of the aircraft in operation right now? I thought there were 100 Tunisian mechanics.
What now?

JoKeR

Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:51 am

Do you know how many passengers said they will never fly JAT again

Yeah I joined the many who expressed similar views, and flew off to Zurich on Swiss.

On returning from ZRH last Sunday, we encountered an emergency return back to the field with what we were told was a "de-icing" problem??? on an Avro RJ-100, and something that Swiss has encountered at least twice in as many days before our inflight emergency. We were greeted by a dozen fire engines and ambulances and I'm positive that one of the runways was reserved solely for our, rather bumpy approach and landing.

Swiss failed to keep us informed and dealt badly with the whole situation that left panic among the BEG outbound passengers.

All aboard noted that they're going back to JAT...

JU101

Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:35 am

It would be nice to get our hands on an accurate figure of Tunisian mechanics that are now employed in Belgrade.

Joker,

Was this an April Fools joke, or did it really happen? To be completely honest, passengers always threaten to never fly with many airlines following a strike or an unfortunate experience, but these feelings tend to soften with time.

JoKeR

Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:15 am

No "travanjinjinji" here, real occurrence, I was aboard the "baksuzni' LX 1416!

UN_B732
Topic Author

Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:06 am

Joker, may I ask why you didn't take YM? From everything I've heard their excellent, unless you had an LX itinerary beyond ZRH.
I really hope JAT clears this situation out soon, I keep on wanting to try the ATR-72 out and fly to Banja Luka, but "Let otkazan" are the two most popular words for that flight.
-Mr. X
What now?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos