Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LambertMan
Topic Author

AA Continues To Trim Down RDU, Cuts CMH And PHL

Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:51 pm

Looks like it will go from the current 77 daily to 66 daily this summer. The two routes being cut is surprising given the apparent success that AA had been having at RDU in the recent past.

PHL is a real head-scratcher Sad

CHM I guess is understandable, but still a little surprising

DCA will lose 2 daily frequencies as well

Now I'm sure we'll get some thoughts from the RDU cronies on the future of AA at RDU....

ERJ170

RE: AA Continues To Trim Down RDU, Cuts CMH And PHL

Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:54 pm

AA has been steady cutting RDU.. It's not surprise to me..

I see RDU losing its focus city status shortly.. oh well, what can you do?
Aiming High and going far..

LambertMan
Topic Author

Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:01 pm

Steadily cutting?

Wasn't it just a little while ago we were talking about the additions of PVD & AUS?

It just seems like all of the sudden AA's interest in RDU has dissappeared...

ERJ170

Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:03 pm

PVD is being cut.. FLL and NAS were cut.. BOS, CMH, BDL, and PHL lost a frequency.. now CMH and PHL cut all together..

they are really losing ground here..

the AUS was for a onestop DCA... not really for the RDU market

MAH4546

Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:03 pm

Raleigh won't be losing the focus city status.

The cuts have to do with priorites, and not much else. American Eagle has a limited fleet, and the priorities are at Dallas and Chicago, not Raleigh. Unfortunately, American Eagle has to cut elsewhere, such as California, holding back Miami expansion plans, and Raleigh.
a.

ScottB

Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:22 pm

Quoting LambertMan (Thread starter):
PHL is a real head-scratcher

AA cutting PHL-RDU isn't surprising at all. When WN entered the PHL-RDU market, average fares dropped 71% from $213 each way to $61 each way. It's very difficult to make a profit with high-CASM RJ's when trying to compete with two airlines offering over a dozen (combined) mainline frequencies in a medium-sized market.

LambertMan
Topic Author

Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:46 pm

Oh yeah forgot about that little pest named WN.  banghead 

aeroc

Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:47 pm

AE has been expanding DFW after the DL fallout however I could see AE increasing the NE sector at LGA or BOS. These markets were great with the SAAB when those were around. Anyone think that could happen?

ERJ170

RE: AA Continues To Trim Down RDU, Cuts CMH And PH

Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:26 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 4):
Raleigh won't be losing the focus city status.

Hmmm.. interesting bit of information Mark.. always on the  dollarsign , aren't you? With all the flights that RDU is losing, will they be letting go some of their gates? Right now they use 14-19, 23-26 for a total of 10 gates.. and 13 spots.. they also have 4 satellite spots.. they have been giving back space to save money and RDU has been readily accepting. Do you think they will give up any more gates?

When I flew then on Thursday/Friday to DCA.. I was checking the AmericanWay and Latitude magazine.. and RDU wasn't listed on either as a focus city.. BOS, LGA, JFK were listed.. but not RDU. The terminal map was not even displayed with the other hubs/focus cities (in which SFO was displayed)..

Quoting ScottB (Reply 5):
AA cutting PHL-RDU isn't surprising at all. When WN entered the PHL-RDU market, average fares dropped 71% from $213 each way to $61 each way. It's very difficult to make a profit with high-CASM RJ's when trying to compete with two airlines offering over a dozen (combined) mainline frequencies in a medium-sized market.

AE doesn't charge the WN prices for their flights.. and everytime I have flown AE and US, they are usually full if not overfull... PHL-RDU drop is way surprising to me..

So what's the likelyhood of DL adding the RDU-CMH flight to their focus-city? I tell ya, if they do.. they might as well switch it and name RDU a focus city over CMH.. no offense to anyone...

ERJ170

Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:36 pm

Quoting LambertMan (Thread starter):
PHL is a real head-scratcher Sad

CHM I guess is understandable, but still a little surprising

DCA will lose 2 daily frequencies as well

On another note.. American Eagle has added a JFK flight and dropped a BOS flight..

FlyPNS1

Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:46 pm

I don't know what the traffic is like on CMH-RDU, but I if anyone is going to fly it DL would be a good candidate. DL has plenty of RJ's and both CMH and RDU are focus cities for DL.

You RDU folks can't complain too much....you are getting new weekend service to PNS. What more could you want!!  Silly

On a side note, AA will add a 7th daily DFW-PNS flight in May. Looks like that is where some of RDU's RJ's are going.

Xkorpyoh

Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:07 am

they are also reducing many flights from FLL in the summer. Only 2 flights to LGA will remain, only 2 flights to ORD. Both at not very convinient times.

usairways85

Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:26 am

PHL is not surprising at all. When AE only competed with US mainline and some RJ flts it was probably a good route for them. However, when WN came in with 4 daily flts US then upgraded RJ's and added mainline flts. AE's 4 or 5 ERJ's were no match for WN or US. Also like stated above these flts might have been full most days but the fares that were charged as of late have been very low, thus making it very hard to profit from a RJ flt.

A similar situation happened on the PHL-BOS route. US, FL, and WN effectively kicked out Delta Connection and American Eagle.

ERJ170

Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:31 am

With the loss of these routes, what's the likelyhood of seeing some other routes upgraded...

I know that RDU is mainly a MQ market, but perhaps we will see an upgrade of some of the other markets? Say STL or BOS?

LambertMan
Topic Author

Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:33 am

I think they tried mainline on RDU-BOS, but it didn't work.

All along I have contended that RDU-STL stands a chance to have a daily MD80 or so, but it doesn't appear likely as of now.

AA787

Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:45 am

AE has added a few new destinations from LGA and JFK. When the got rid of the plans for a AE area of the new terminal at JFK, I remember hearing that it could still be added back. Even with B6's huge prescence at JFK they still don't offer international connections like AA. I think AA should take advantage of that (and maybe even expaned to places like Europe!) with a few, well timed flights to places around the Northeast and Southeast that wouldn't want to connect in ORD.

AA787

ScottB

Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:22 am

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 8):
AE doesn't charge the WN prices for their flights

Why don't you check aa.com or Travelocity and try again. I was able to price a PHL-RDU round-trip on Eagle for $83.40 including taxes and fees on Travelocity. The base fare is $29.00 each way.

Right now, it makes sense to pull capacity off the East Coast. Things are turning into a bloodbath, what with Independence and US Airways offering fire sale fares to pump up their cash flow, while Southwest, AirTran, and jetBlue continue to expand their respective presences in the region. Delta's thrown a wrench into things with Simplifares, too. If fuel manages to hammer the final nail into US Airways' and/or Independence's coffin, it might make sense for AA to build back up at RDU, but their best money-making opportunities will come from replacing some of Delta's DFW presence.

mikesairways

Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:23 am

At least its nothing compared to what they did to SJC...come this summer we'll pretty much have nothing left from AA.
The red zone is for the immediate loading and unloading of passengers only, there is no stopping in the white zone...(Ai

FlyingTexan

Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:43 am

Quoting Mikesairways (Reply 17):
At least its nothing compared to what they did to SJC...come this summer we'll pretty much have nothing left from AA.

That happens when AMR takes over another carrier. (Reno Air)
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

wncmh

Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:56 am

When are they Disc RDU-CMH Non-stop what date?

ERJ170

Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:00 am

June 8th is the last day of the CMH flights..

uswyjer

Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:26 am

As a positive, BDL is still showing 4 frequencies for at least the summer.

aatripleseven

Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:24 am

Anyone have an idea as to how the AUS flights are doing?

IADCRJ

Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:39 pm

Quoting LambertMan (Reply 14):
I think they tried mainline on RDU-BOS, but it didn't work.

On a recent trip into RDU about a week or so ago, I happened to notice a mainline American flight to BOS, which was in the final process of boarding. The aircraft used for that flight was an MD-80.

ERJ170

Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:43 pm

Quoting IADCRJ (Reply 23):
I happened to notice a mainline American flight to BOS

Had to be a diversion or charter flight.. there are NO mainline BOS flights.. I think JI was the last carrier to successfully do BOS mainline.. since then, it's been RJ on MQ and OH only...

September11

Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:05 pm

What other airline fly CMH-RDU route nonstop?

didn't Southwest drop that route?
Airliners.net of the Future

ERJ170

Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:08 pm

No other airline flies that route.. not sure if any other offered it before.. hopefully someone will pick it up.. AFTER someone starts RDU-LAX..  bouncy   stirthepot 

MAH4546

Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:17 pm

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 24):
I think JI was the last carrier to successfully do BOS mainline.. since then, it's been RJ on MQ and OH only...

American last offered mainline on RDU-BOS (and RDU-LGA) during the summer of 2002.
a.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos