Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FFlyer

RE: Papal Funeral/Conclave Related Air Movements

Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:29 pm

Thanks SAA-SAL!

A good one from Aviationhack. At least some people here are not in the religious ecstasy, and can see the real issues behind the mere worshipping of pictures.

petazulu
Topic Author

Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:02 pm

Guys, why has this thread gotten so far off of my intended topic! Please stick to the subject (UNUSUAL AIRCRAFT MOVEMENTS SURROUNDING THE PAPAL FUNERAL/CONCLAVE). Why is this so hard? You guys will get this whole interesting thread deleted. As a longtime member, it is one of the most frustrating parts of AA.net.

Your personal thoughts on the worshipping of pictures, etc. etc. do not interest us. I have to admit, it was intersting to see a list of all current cardinals- but it is still off topic.

Right now, it looks like friday at 10am is the funeral mass. That means I would expect some interesting aircraft to arrive in Rome Thursday. Will they shut down the skies on Friday to all air traffic over Italy? I would think that security would be uber tight.

aogdesk

Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:24 pm

I hope this is on-topic...is there a place on A.net that shows 'heads of state' aircraft? It would be kind of interesting to see the aircraft that might be headed towards Italy this week.

As for attending the funeral, your beliefs or non-beliefs in the Catholic doctrine are irrelavant. It comes down to respect for a man who is the essence of much of the world's spirituality. (This coming from a non-Catholic)

kc135topboom

Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:24 pm

Quoting Schipholjfk (Reply 35):
The world did loose a great leader. But the greatest leader of all time? Think again. About billion people in this world follow him. Other five billion DO NOT. There have been many great leaders in different capacities in this world over thousands of years. In addition, there are thousands of people who you do not know about but make great difference everyday in a lot of people's lives. Plus in the Western world we are hardly aware of great leaders of the past from other parts of the world. So let's not be so myposic in our view. Great leader.. yes. Of all time... no.

There have been very few leaders that have been able to lead people from more than one country. In addition to Pope John Paul II, I see US Presidents Reagan, Roosevelt (both of them) and Bush (43), UK PMs Churchill, Thacher, and Blair being amoung the world's greatest leaders. None of these leaders have lead the entire planet's population, nor could they.

Quoting Aviationhack (Reply 38):
The last 5 years of the pope's life reminds me of the movie Weekend at Bernies. What has he done other than ignore science, and set the world back who knows how many years.

Can you back that up with facts? I believe he help advanced the era of world peace.

RayChuang

Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:49 pm

Speaking of something off-topic, did you know that the Conclave of Cardinals will actually have a decent place to stay for a change this time around? Unlike last time in 1978, the Vatican has a new dormitory building for the Conclave where each Cardinal will have his own room complete with a private bath for each room. (I saw this on MSNBC yesterday.)

FFlyer

Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:51 am

Well, I wanted to calm down the religious stuff presented in the thread. We don't need more of that.

About the issue itself; The Cardinals are already there, or on their way to Rome. I'm sure they have found commercial flights quite easily. There are not that many of them, and most of them are from Italy or the neighboring countries. I would think that the same applies with the heads of states, they will mostly come from Southern and Central European Countries. Of course there will be some special flights for them.

The bigger problem would be the regular people, I would think that the flights will get sold out quickly. However, most of the attendees will come from the Southern European area, and they would drive or take trains.

In all, I believe there will be less related air travel than you might think. Therefore no real big arrangements are needed. Accommodation is another issue.

Renault and McLaren Rule ; )

TACAA320

Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:02 am

Quoting FFlyer (Reply 2):
The Pope institution is not such a big deal in e.g. protestant countries.

So why Prince Charles and Camilla are changing their wedding date?
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

Danny

Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:10 am

With thousands of Poles traveling to attend Holy Father's funeral LOT upgraded all flights to Rome from E70/B735 to B734/B763.

Several additional flights will be operated by Centralwings (B734), SkyEurope (B735) and Wizzair (A320).

Danny

Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:34 am

Looking at the list of officials coming there will be also enormous number of VIP aircraft. List is in polish but should be easy to figure out:
http://fakty.interia.pl/news?inf=609195

JoKeR

Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:07 am

Considering that Serbia and Montenegro are going to be represented by the President and the Minister of Foreign Affairs, and that JAT is in strike with unreliable schedules, you can expect this beauty to touch down in Rome on Friday from Belgrade...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Nik Deblauwe

simo82

Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:43 pm

ANSA-just reported in a TV show that the Italian civil aviation authority (ENAC) might decide to add Pescara Liberi Airport (PSR) to the list of airports used (already CIA FCO and military base of Pratica di Mare) for the flights of the 200+ official state delegations.

CIAO
Simo

irishjohn

Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:47 pm

Guys

ever considered taking the medication every day?????? What a load of bullocks!!

For my American colleagues: The American President and his wife will attend because a) they have personally met the Pope and manners dictate their presence at His funeral, b) there are over 40 million American Catholics and that's a lot of votes c) as it is the funeral of a Head of State diplomacy rules are used!!! Why all the other crap? Thankfully the French invented diplomacy.

For my English colleagues: The Queen will not attend becaue she decided she would not attend non UK State funerals - with one exception and this was emphasized as a personal visit - the funeral of King Bedouin of the Belgians. It was certain that if the funeral was to be on Friday Charles would attend because a) his personal relationship with the Pope, b) the only obvious choice to represent his Mother without causing offence to the Catholic Church and the Catholics in the UK and c) it's about time you guys gave Charles some credit - he does know what he has to do even if he does it unusually at times!

For all the rest the funeral of a Head of State is covered under diplomacy rules and as this Head of State was also the religious leader of 1 billion people who are citizens of all most all countries in the world - it requires no great brain to work out who will and who will not attend His funeral!

So now can we get back to the original thread - who will arrive in or on what!!

Safe sailing
John

petazulu
Topic Author

Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:13 pm

Where is PSR? Is it a functional airport or an airbase? Is it close to Rome.
I know so very little about Italian aviation. It seems as if there is going to be quite acrush of people trying to get near or into the funeral on Friday. Should make for some interesting logistics.

AeroWesty

Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:13 pm

Quoting Irishjohn (Reply 61):
who will arrive in or on what!!

Pres. Bush is supposed to be leaving Washington Weds AM with his wife Laura, Sec. State Rice, and former presidents Clinton, Bush and Carter to lead the American delegation. Members of Congress attending will make other arrangements, according to MSNBC this morning.
International Homo of Mystery

simo82

Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:21 am

Quoting Petazulu (Reply 62):
Where is PSR? Is it a functional airport or an airbase? Is it close to Rome.
I know so very little about Italian aviation. It seems as if there is going to be quite acrush of people trying to get near or into the funeral on Friday. Should make for some interesting logistics.

It's a small airport 200 km east of Roma not many scheduled flights....that's why they are thinking of using it...if you want to have more info here's the link: http://www.abruzzo-airport.it/

The Italian government aspects more than 4 million people to come that's really a lot more than we can handle...

CIAO
Simo

JU101

Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:35 pm

Joker,

They will probably fly with two seperate jets, at the disregard of Serbian and Montenegrin taxpayers.

kl911

Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:50 pm

For today ( 7th Sad AMS - FCO

Nothing unusual......

07:05 KL 1597 - 737-400
09:20 KL 1601 - 737-800
09:45 AZ 0107 - A319
12:35 AZ 0109 - M82
13:10 KL 1603 - 737-800
14:55 TV 5720 - 737-400
16:35 KL 1607 - 737-800
17:50 AZ 0111 - M82
20:15 KL 1609 - 737-800

KL911

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos