Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jayspilot
Topic Author

United Decides To Discontinue Awac

Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:55 pm

Late this evening I got a company email saying that awac (air Wisconsin) will be losing all of the united flying but keeping some ground stations with more details to be announced later..

So far trans states (go JETS) and skywest have gotten 30 more planes (basically bidding sooo cheap rates for a crj700 that awac could not compete with cost..TWO NON UNION CARRIERS<< HMMMM>>>.

This will be a very interesting 6-10 months as the United Express operation again gets tossed upside down

the race to the bottom continues...

kcrwflyer

Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:59 pm

they already have the 70 seaters??????? and theres been talks of AWAc being partially tossed but the full toss of the airline shocks me.

now moving on, lets talk about these future 70 seat markets. I think most airports with awac will loose some service, while only the larger ones keep the 70 seaters to replace the crj/bae aircraft. any other thoughts?

jayspilot
Topic Author

Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:03 pm

they are actually going to be 64-66 seat markets.. if you have followed the press releases the crj 700's are going to be configured with first class, economy plus and then economy...better ride for the people if you ask me...and you are talking to a crj200 pilot
the decisions have been made bankrupcy court approval is set for april 16th and sky west has already ordered 20 more jets...

kcrwflyer

Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:11 pm

sweet, thated be great if CRW could get the 700.

I have some piloting questions for you and would like to talk sometime.

ckfred

Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:31 pm

This surprises me. I've heard that when UAX did the switch from ACA at IAD, things did not go smoothly.

Undoubtedly, there will be problems at ORD, and UA's efforts to improve service will take a hit I would bet that some disgruntled people will switch to AA/Eagle.

I will miss seeing the Air Whiskey Bae 146s. It was such an unusual RJ compared to the Canadairs and Embrears.

jayspilot
Topic Author

Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:39 pm

ord and iad will be a mess for sure, i'd avoid if possible once things start changing again... It too about 6 months after the aca transition for things to get ok now... i think the 146 is on its way out.. mx and new equipment like th emb 170/90 will make it go away... oh make sure to not call the 146 an rj to one of those captains. (they consider it a 100 passenger airliner)hahaha

jetdeltamsy

Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:49 pm

i ride Air Wis between ORD and central illinois several times a year.

it is always a circus...in both directions. clean and nice equipment, but not very punctual.

146crew

Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:02 pm

United is making a huge mistake replacing us. We have provided safe and quality air service for more than 20 years for UAL. Unfortunately that doesn't matter anymore. United wants the lowest bidder with the "same quality of service and safety," good luck UAL. We have a large group of really experienced and dedicated employees that now have to make decisions not only about their career but about their livelihood and families. I will sincerely miss everything about working with United in the past (except IAD). Anyway, United, go ahead and award flying to a AX (lowest score on customer experience and Intent to repurchase with UAX) and Mesa a really "class act." All the best to OO, you will soon lead the pack.

146crew

Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:05 pm

Quoting Jetdeltamsy (Reply 6):
i ride Air Wis between ORD and central illinois several times a year.

it is always a circus...in both directions.

Unfortunately when ATC Flow takes effect, for whatever reason, the operations into SBN, Wisconsin, and Illinois take the brunt of the "circus."

padcrasher

Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:06 pm

I wonder if AW's 125 Million hand out to UA's competitor in the WAS market had anything to do with it?

flyingnanook

Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:10 pm

Well, United has just lost the only thing that has kept me flying with them. Now when I visit my family in OSH, I'll be flying with Northwest. At least I'll be able to earn all my miles in one program. (AS mileage plan) But if Awac will team up with someone else, I'll follow them.

apodino

Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:59 pm

Well, the way I interpreted the E-Mail was that some of our work would be retained. That could just be refering to ground handling.

I will say this about United. I think one of the big problems United has had in costs is the way they have handled the express program. Think about this. When ACA had the flying, you had basically three carriers, DH, OO, and ZW. After they became Independence Air, all hell broke loose and instead of awarding flying to one regional partner, they split it among four carriers. Now all of a sudden you have 7 carriers flying for United. What happens as a result is that the ground handlers at various stations have to learn how to handle different types of aircraft and how to handle 7 different airlines. And United moves the flying around every month that everything becomes confusing. Airlines have to rewrite opspecs every month because of this, Jepp subscriptions have to be changed every month. And because not all flights to an outstation are by the same company, if an airplane breaks at an out station, often times it becomes difficult for that airline to get MX personell and equipment because they can't use the other express carriers to ship parts or mechanics half the time. And if it happens in ORD, you are still responsible for operating the flight, you can't just trade with an express carrier. Flights can get cancelled often because of this. All these little things add up costs, and I think United needs to take a look at that.

I like it better when you have one primary connection carrier in a hub, like Delta does it. CVG is all Comair, ATL is mostly ASA, MCO mostly CHQ with a few Comair, SLC is Skywest, BOS and JFK are mostly Comair as well. I know the computer outage created havoc, but thats an isolated circumstance, and could easily affect Mainline as well. Continental and American also do a good job in this area.

That having been said, Air Wisconsin should be a great asset for USAirways, and I look forward to the agreement, though I pity all our crews who are going to have to change domiciles again (after DEN and ATL closed for CRJ). I also feel bad for the 146 crews who may have to transition since it seems like the 146 will have to be retired thanks to the 146 provision in the USAirways pilots contract.

UAL Bagsmasher

Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:47 pm

Not that I don't believe you, but can I see the source of this final decision? I haven't heard anything beyond the 30 jet deal so far. Thanks.

ERJ170

Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:00 pm

OMG.. please don't let UAX switch RDU to mostly Mesa instead of mostly ZW.. I wonder what will happen to the stations (like RDU) that are mostly ZW.. surely Skywest won't be doing that much flying to come all the way here...

DAYflyer

Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:08 pm

Quoting Ckfred (Reply 4):
will miss seeing the Air Whiskey Bae 146s. It was such an unusual RJ compared to the Canadairs and Embrears

Me too, DAy had swithced over recntly from 4 CRJ and 1 737 to 2 on 146 and 1 737 flight a day to ORD. Seemed much nicer that way.

supa7E7

Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:26 pm

Will the 146 fly for US Airways? Is it even possible? Or did the agreement disallow that?

jayspilot
Topic Author

Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:33 pm

the air wis agreement with usairways is for 70 crjs. The 146 i think blows the scope clause at every company including united. Up until now there was literally a certificate saying tail numbers allowed to fly up to i think 18-20 total 146's allowing an express carrier to operate a plane above the scope at united which i believe is 70.
In addition, any aircraft above the 70 crjs' would involve jets for jobs and that idea doesn't sit will at air willy.

apodino

Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:46 pm

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 13):

Don't count out OO. They already operate the ABE station, and I heard from someone at OO that they are going to be serving PVD in the near future for UAX.

toltommy

Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:48 pm

Quoting Apodino (Reply 11):
I like it better when you have one primary connection carrier in a hub, like Delta does it. CVG is all Comair, ATL is mostly ASA, MCO mostly CHQ with a few Comair, SLC is Skywest, BOS and JFK are mostly Comair as well. I know the computer outage created havoc, but thats an isolated circumstance, and could easily affect Mainline as well. Continental and American also do a good job in this area.

DL broke that plan up years ago, after the Comair pilot strike crippled the CVG hub. ASA and Comair serve a lot of the same markets now. From TOL, its a mix to both ATL and CVG.

However, you are correct about CO and AA, with a few exceptions. Don't forget that AA still owns Eagle, CO spun ExpressJet off in an IPO. But labor trouble at either of those regionals would be a nightmare. Considered what happened to CVG during the Comair pilot strike, and duplicate it across the entire CO or AA systems. Yikes!

ERJ170

Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:57 pm

Quoting Apodino (Reply 17):
and I heard from someone at OO that they are going to be serving PVD in the near future for UAX.

They already do with a single CR7 flight to ORD

apodino

Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:08 pm

Funny, because I was just looking at the Atlanta airports web site, and all Delta Connection activity there is ASA, and in CVG almost all the activity is Comair. They did have ACA in there with the Dorniers, but since that agreement was cancelled its been all Comair. Comair did used to do some ATL flying from here in ATW but that has since become all ASA since Comair is needed to cover everything in CVG and the Northeast that ACA left behind.

Yes a pilot strike at a regional would hurt the Mainline. However, what if a pilot strike at a mainline happened.

One more scenario. What if the Skywest pilots want to unionize and they go on strike. Suddenly, UA and DL are both screwed big time and this would have a rippling effect in the system.

I know that the pilot strikes harm the mainlines. But I still think the benefits of one express carrier for a hub far outweigh the risks that we have mentioned.

planespotting

Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:42 pm

If this news is true (which i really have no reason to believe it's not) then this is a sad day. I definitely need to get on the 146 one last time before they take them out of Express flying. anyone have any dates on this?

bnatraveler

Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:45 pm

what is UA planning to do about flying into ASE? AFAIK, the 146 and DH8s are the only things that will fly in there--and with all the premium traffic there, I'd imagine that DH8s are not very desirable by those paying the high cost to fly there.

Guess NW made a great decision to retain year-round flying to ASE with their Avros--it's the only way to reach Aspen in first class, other than bizjets.

apodino

Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:52 pm

There are other issues with the ASE flying. Mesa cannot fly into ASE at night, and they have higher approach minimums than ZW because ZW uses an approach exclusive to ZW in ASE. They lose a bunch of capacity in Ski Season, as the Dash-8's cannot hold the same loads that the 146's can either. This is going to be interesting to see how this plays out. I also hear that Mesa was maybe looking to unload their Dash-8's as well.

ERJ170

Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:05 am

Press Release

Looks like it is official..

Press Release Source: United Airlines

United, Air Wisconsin Reach Tentative Agreement to Transition United Express Flying and Ground Handling Services
Thursday April 7, 11:00 am ET
- No interruptions to United Express service

CHICAGO, April 7 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- United Airlines announced today that it has reached a tentative agreement with Air Wisconsin Airlines (AWAC) on flying and ground-handling transition plans. The agreement is subject to approval by the U.S. Bankruptcy Court and is expected to be heard during the regularly scheduled Omnibus hearing on April 22.

ADVERTISEMENT
After evaluating bids received as part of the request for proposal (RFP) issued in November 2004, United will have a new group of regional air carriers take over all United Express flying currently operated by AWAC out of Washington Dulles, Chicago O'Hare International and Denver International Airports. AWAC will continue to perform ground handling for United Express at a number of stations.

"This tentative agreement represents an important step toward reducing costs for a significant portion of our United Express flying and ground handling, while ensuring a safe, customer-friendly transition," said Sean Donohue, vice president-United Express and Ted. "We're very pleased to have reached market-competitive rates with AWAC for ground handling at a number of locations they currently serve, keeping a valued, long-standing partner on board with us."

As the company previously announced, the carriers that will take over United Express flying include SkyWest and GoJet (a subsidiary of Trans States). United currently is in discussions with other carriers and may continue to award additional flying and ground-handling through the RFP process.

"The United Express product and reliability continue to improve, and our new agreements ensure we will continue to provide superior service and competitive fares to our customers," Donohue said.

About United

United Airlines (OTC Bulletin Board: UALAQ - News) is the world's second largest airline, operating more than 3,400 flights a day on United, United Express and Ted to more than 200 U.S. domestic and international destinations from its hubs in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Denver, Chicago and Washington, D.C. With key global air rights in the Asia-Pacific region, Europe and Latin America, United is the largest international carrier based in the United States.* United is also a founding member of Star Alliance, which provides connections for our customers to nearly 800 destinations in 139 countries worldwide. United's 60,000 employees reside in every U.S. state and in many countries around the world. News releases and other information about United can be found at the company's Web site at united.com.

*Measured by revenue passenger miles as reported to the U.S. Department of Transportation for 12 months ending September 2004, the most recent comparison data available.

PVD757

Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:21 am

Well, that should dispell any confusion, at least for now. Although the 146 can't be flown for US due to pilot contracts, etc., US can push to have it amended in BK or ZW could provide lift to another carrier with just the 146's (NW, CO, DL, etc.). I'm looking forward to seeing the final changeover between US, UA and AWAC, Trans states, Chautauqua, and Mesa (as in new routes, whoe does what for whom, etc.)

ouboy79

Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:29 am

Well this pretty much seals the fate of TSA in the US Airways system as far jets go. Now it is time to see if J.O. tries to do a power play for Mesa portion of the US system or if they are done for good now. A couple options left open...Mesa come in with a deal to outbid the Republic offer and secure a place for Mesa at US, there by removing TSA and Chautauqua flying; the other being a situation where US now has a ton of growth aircraft to do point to point flying.

dvk

Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:35 am

Has Trans States improved its service reputation? It used to be abysmal (rock bottom in a Consumer Reports article in the late 90's), and my personal experience with them when they ran TW Express was the worst I've ever had with any carrier.

padcrasher

Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:45 am

So AWAC's fate is tied up entirely with a bankrupt US Airways who's fate is tied up entirely with finding someone to loan them another $100 Million.

ejmmsu

Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:57 am

Quoting Padcrasher (Reply 28):
So AWAC's fate is tied up entirely with a bankrupt US Airways who's fate is tied up entirely with finding someone to loan them another $100 Million.

Well Put!!

Even scarier, it means that AWAC's fate is indirectly tied to a strange, almost universally disliked, guy with yellow hair, trying to convince people to book fares that are so low that they are driving USAir into the ground.

GroundStop

Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:37 am

From what I have gathered, the only AWAC services to be kept will be ground handling at a few stations. Other than that, they are done. The 146's will likely be retired or sold to another carrier here or abroad. The 146 crews in ATW and DEN will either downgrade to the CRJ or leave the airline. Based on AWAC's own website, look for domiciles in CLT, PIT, and RDU (although I think this one may be for the transition). The transition process will take roughly one year. One by one, CRJ's will come off line from United, go to GLH or AMA for paint, and be flying for USAirways within a week. As the new domicilies grow, the amount of available flying at the existing domiciles will shrink until there isn't anymore. Alot of this I saw first hand when JetConnect closed up shop with us. I feel for all the crews that moved to ATL, only to have to move again or commute, and now again. Best of luck to all of you.

JP

PVD757

Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:51 am

Again, why can't the 146 fly under another banner to reduce the reliance on solely US? If the price is right, a few other airlines might love to have those 146's providing lift on medium sized markets.

ERJ170

Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:56 am

Quoting GroundStop (Reply 30):
Based on AWAC's own website, look for domiciles in CLT, PIT, and RDU (although I think this one may be for the transition)

Why would they need a transition domicile if they are currently at IAD and ORD? Are they just going to get kicked out of IAD and ORD all of a sudden and need a place to put people for a while? But then, why would they have a RDU domicile anyway? Neither UAX (14 daily) nor USX (24 daily) have a significant presence at RDU.

avek00

Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:04 am

Quoting Padcrasher (Reply 28):

Barring any major snafus, it's ZW who will end up laughing all the way to the bank when all is said and done over the next few years.

UAL Bagsmasher

Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:21 am

I don't think too many people at ZW will be laughing when they get their furlough notices...

FriendlySkies

Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:58 am

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 24):
This tentative agreement represents an important step toward reducing costs for a significant portion of our United Express flying and ground handling, while ensuring a safe, customer-friendly transition," said Sean Donohue, vice president-United Express and Ted.

What a load of crap...UA would be better off if they had never resold ZW after they bought control of the company in the early 90s. (I am under the impression that this did occur, someone please correct me if I am mistaken). Having 7-9 different carriers replacing 3 is a dumb move, and is not going to reduce costs. Don't those morons in Elk Grove get it!!!! Of course they don't. All they see is the initial figures, they don't see the loss of customers due to crappy service, the increased training required at the hubs...I mean, ORD is a mess as it is, and this is going to make it that much worse. As much as I love UA, with some of the decisions they make, I just want to tell half their management team to go to hell.

UALGSO

Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:08 am

Speaking for myself, Just another sad day at United. Just kicking our best UAX carrier out the door does not seem like the smartest move. Whatever money UA expects to save from this deal will certainly be lost in the chaos of this next transition of flying. Good luck to all ZW employees out there, it has been a pleasure to work with all of the flight crews who've traveled through GSO.

ERJ145LR

Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:48 am

So what/who will take over all of United express flights operated by AWAC? Say ORD-MSN, will they still fly there, or if Trans State, or skywest doesnt want to, will they just drop the route, or maybe switch it over to mainline? Also let me just get this straight, im pretty slow, AWAC will no longer be part of UAL, so they just lost a huge amount of express flights and planes, but the other two operators of their express flights will take over those routes with their own planes, which they are getting a large amount more of? Anyone know when AWAC will officially be gone from UA?

jdwfloyd

RE: Flash NEWS. United Decides To Discontinue Awac

Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:59 am

So there are rumors of a PIT base for AWAC, would be nice if Chqa put one here too. Do you think Transtates will keep flying for US given the fact they have such a big void to fill at UA now.

FriendlySkies

RE: United Decides To Discontinue Awac

Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:17 am

Quoting ERJ145LR (Reply 37):
will they still fly there, or if Trans State, or skywest doesnt want to

Trans States and Skywest are under contract and are therefore obligated to fly where UA tells them to fly. They can't say no, as they would break that contract.

UAL Bagsmasher

Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:23 am

UA complained that our service was poor and that we had too many delays, etc. If that's the case, they haven't seen anything yet Wink

ERJ145LR

Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:23 am

How do they have the planes to take over ALL those routes?? I mean thats alot! If they are ordering more, what types?

FriendlySkies

Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:27 am

They are cutting routes as well...I guess when you think about it, it's not such a bad move, as they are reducing unneeded capacity, upgrading equipment (CR2s and 146 to CR7s with F class and Y+), all while maintaining most of the remaining mainline fleet. Plus, they aren't really bringing in another carrier as of yet, as OO and Trans States are already service UAX. Only time will tell how it goes...

UAL Bagsmasher

Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:33 am

I have to give ZW credit where credit is due. They didn't bow down to UA's ridiculous demands. ZW has their employees in mind and didn't cut their wages in half just to please the a**holes at UA. They didn't fullfill UA's wish of having yet another express carrier pay rampers $7.00/hr and A&P's $12.00/hr. Kudos to ZW management. I'm sure UA will be telling GoJet and Skywest they charge too much before too long as well...just watch.

[Edited 2005-04-07 22:35:57]

PITrules

Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:49 am

I think this validates Atlantic Coast's decision to leave the United Express program. ACA was the highest cost United Express operator, even after approved concessions. If ACA were still with United, it would be ACA receiving this news today. Contrary to all the skeptics, it looks like Independence Air has outlasted any would be version of Atlantic Coast operating as United Express.

Best of luck to AWAC employees.

UAXDXer

Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:54 am

Here is the latest press release I could find on the subject...
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/050407/ual_air_wisconsin.html?.v=2

Here is the best quote in the article and maybe part of the reason UAL is in the situation they are in...

United spokeswoman Jean Medina Thursday said the agreement allows a "smooth transition for our customers, and Air Wisconsin's customers as well."

Since when did Air Wisconsin have customers? The passangers who fly on United Express operated by Air Wisconsin are United passangers. Obviously United still does not understand this.

loggat

Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:03 am

I wish people would stop saying that "Trans States" will be picking up the flying. "GoJets" will be picking up some flying. Ask any Trans States pilot if they are getting more UAX flying; that's a labor dispute within itself.

Trans States is limited to 50-seat planes, which apparently UAL isn't exactly boisterous about replacing. Therefore, Trans States Airlines, until further notice by UAL won't be getting any more flying (and perhaps losing some if the US Airways routes are taken away).

UAXDXer

Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:06 am

Quoting Loggat (Reply 46):
I wish people would stop saying that "Trans States" will be picking up the flying. "GoJets" will be picking up some flying.

Ok how about this: "United Express operated by Trans States flown by GoJets"

loggat

Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:11 am

how about just "United Express operated by GoJets"?

it isn't "United Express operated by Wexford, flown by Republic" is it?

Again, it is a completely different company under the "Trans States Holding Company" which is not the same as "Trans States Airlines"

ScottB

Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:38 am

Quoting UAXDXer (Reply 45):
Since when did Air Wisconsin have customers?

Air Wisconsin has one customer -- United Airlines. They will have two customers once their flying starts to transfer over to US Airways Express. (And they had two while they were flying for AirTran.)

Quoting Avek00 (Reply 33):
Barring any major snafus, it's ZW who will end up laughing all the way to the bank

This coming from the guy who thought TWA stock was a good investment in 2000? AWAC's "lifeboat" is an airline which may very well fail to reorganize if they don't find an additional $100 million in capital in the next week. An airline whose post-reorganization plan might get them to December 31 if everything goes right. Yup, laughing all the way to the bank.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos