Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Blasphemystic
Topic Author

'Camel' Sparks Airport Probe

Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:27 pm

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good. -- Samuel Johnson

RichardJF

RE: 'Camel' Sparks Airport Probe

Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:55 am

Are their any technical reasons the baggage handler shouldn't wear a camel suit while driving the baggage cart?
It seems the young boy that first noticed it thought he was wearing a moosehead. Is this where the problem is?

Squigee

Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:15 am

RTFA, the issue is not that the suit was worn, but that it was taken out of a passenger's bag.
Someday, we'll look back at this, laugh nervously, and then change the subject.

srbmod

Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:18 am

I heard on the radio this morning, coincidentally right as I drove onto the airport...... I chuckled a bit and visualized a ramp rat driving around wearing a camel suit.

Russophile

Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:36 am

The issue at hand at the moment in this country is that Schapelle Corby is currently awaiting trial in Bali on drug importation charges - charges which will likely bring the death penalty if found guilty. The major point as part of her defence is that she didn't bring the drugs into Bali knowingly, but that someone (an airport worker, etc) must have tampered with her luggage and slipped the drugs into her property. I believe this was the case, because who in their right mind would import 4kg of pot into Bali, when you can buy a garbage bag full of it at any pub in Kuta for a few bucks.

And rightfully so, the moron in this case has had his arse fired by QF. And I couldn't believe the union actually defending him. But at least his idiocy could have some good implications for Corby.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,12791519-421,00.html

antares

Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:30 pm

A call from a friend who used to work for Qantas.

A luncheon for former executives (for those who left at a time of their choosing as distinct from being speared at their desks) was held in Sydney today with guest speaker CEO Geoff Dixon.

He nearly chocked on his mineral water when one of the guests turned up wearing a camel head. 'Not f*cking funny' Dixon said, nearly cracking up.

His other notable comment is said to have been his shock at being told by a senior Howard government minister that he didn't give a (insert naughty word) if Qantas went broke.

Antares

6thfreedom

Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:11 pm

Quoting Antares (Reply 5):
And rightfully so, the moron in this case has had his arse fired by QF. And I couldn't believe the union actually defending him. But at least his idiocy could have some good implications for Corby.

I wonder whether the worker was stupid enough to do this as a joke, or whether it was done to demonstrate how easy it is for baggage to be tampered with.

if it was for a laugh.... what a d^ckhead!
if it was to make a point on the corby case. well done for having the b%lls to do it!

antares

Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:58 pm

6thfreedom,

It was Russophile who said that but I sure agree with him.

Antares

airbear

Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:54 pm

Hi Blasphemystic ... it would be funny, if one of our fellow citizens were not on trial for her life in Bali at the moment, being the likely victim of a similar breach of security.

More...the Schapelle Corby case also raises the question as to what responsibility or liability the U.S government will take/accept if drugs or whatever, are placed in an unlocked bag whilst it is out of the owner's control? If you go to or leave the U.S on a flight, you cannot lock your bag, unless you are willing to have it wrecked by the TSA. Be afraid... be VERY afraid, if traveling direct from US to certain parts of Asia, particularly Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia or Thailand and probably others as well, where the death penalty is the typical outcome!

Blasphemystic
Topic Author

Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:20 pm

Quoting Airbear (Reply 8):
be VERY afraid, if traveling direct from US to certain parts of Asia, particularly Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia or Thailand and probably others as well, where the death penalty is the typical outcome!

This might sound a bit unrealistic but...the points you mentioned are one of many reasons I plan on not ever going to any of these countries. I would never jeopardize my freedom or my life.

In the case of Schapelle Corby, I don't know how they can ignore that airport security sucks, and she might be innocent as someone might have tampered with her bags and maybe placed it there on purpose or by accident. The possibility is always there, but benefit of the doubt SHOULD always set you free.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good. -- Samuel Johnson

MD11Engineer

Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:24 pm

Some years ago, there was the case of a young German backpacker, who got sentenced to death in Malaysia after having been caught with an amount of heroin in his bag. He was saved by the fact that another German (a true scumbag) confessed from safety in Germany that he placed this pack of heroin into the other guys backpack during a stay in a hostel, so that the innocent guy would smuggle it out of the country, without knowing about it. Later the owner of the heroin planned to retrieve it.
AFAIK, he was sentenced to a jail sentence in Germany (surely beats a walk to the gallows early in the morning in a Malaysian jail) and the arrested guy released.

Also a friend had some problem in Philippines during the corrupt Marcos dictatorship. Somebody planted some marijuana in his bag and he was promptly arrested. In police custody the cops told him that he had two choices, either part with most of his travel budget he had on him (fortunately most of his money was in custody with the German embassy in Bangkok, invisible to the corrupt cops, so he only lost one to two thousand Deutschmarks), or face a charge of drug smuggling, which would leat to a ten year term in a Philippino jungle prison camp. The cops were probably cooperating with a drug dealer and corrupt hoteln staff, who hid the dope in my friend´s bag. After the arrest, I´m sure the dope went straight back to the dope dealer, who also got a share of the money, to be used on the next tourist. My friend paid up and left the country with the next available flight, only to return about 15 years later, after he hooked up with a woman (now his wife) from this region.

Jan

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Russophile

Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:27 am

It seems the sacked baggage handler is going to apologise to the passenger

http://tinyurl.com/3jkxl

And as expected, Corby's defence team will be using this incident in her defence

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,12821760-38196,00.html

But they might not have much luck with this defence as the chief judge in the case is saying that they don't have to consider details of this tampering because it is basically irrelevant to her case. (which is true)

http://tinyurl.com/5mtsb

And since this incident, hundreds of people have come forward with details of having their luggage tampered with at Australian airports

http://tinyurl.com/5rfa6

It seems the only winners in this case (well both cases) will be plastic manufacturers, as more people will surely take to wrapping their luggage in plastic to either prevent tampering with their luggage, or to show evidence of tampering if that is the case.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos