Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ETStar
Topic Author

NW Terminal At DCA

Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:11 pm

Having flown into many US airports, I have to say that the worst one I have been in is the terminal used by Northwest at Reagan Airport in Washington. Quite a difference from what US uses (yes, it is newer etc)... why would DCA keep it in such degraded state? The whole area appeared to be a 60's terminal that never got a facelift... anyhoo, thought I'd bring this up. Any plans for it? Oh, and it takes FOREVER to walk to the nicer terminal (mind you, I arrived at 4AM after a diversion to PHL due to inclement weather, which is another story, and was looking for alternative transportation)

masseybrown

RE: NW Terminal At DCA

Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:28 pm

Just flew in and out of that terminal this weekend on a different airline. Not sure what you are complaining about. It's clean, functional, pretty quick bag service... I believe it does date from the 1960's, when, of course, it was the latest thing - copied slightly (the oval cement tunnel) from the JFK TWA terminal.

727LOVER

Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:23 pm

DCA's old terminal opened in 1941, although that pier did open in the 60's.

jdaniel001

Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:29 pm

www.mwaa.com has a history with pics about DCA. There is an ongoing effort to restore the original terminal (Terminal A) to it's original state. Not sure if they are finished or not. But it is considered a National Historic Landmark and therefore there is a lot of things they cannot do to "modernize" the terminal. Anyways, I would rather fly into a historic airport that is falling apart than a brand new modern terminal.

TomFoolery

Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:11 pm

I find the terminal very user friendly. One must admot that it is rather hard to get lost or misdirected in terminal A. Very open and sunny, not as institutional as others I have been in.

TF

travatl

Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:17 pm

I agree with Tom- it's definitely user friendly. The mixed baggage/ticketing section has a kind of warehouse feel to it, but other than that, I love the 60s aspect of the remainder... (reminiscent of the airlines' '"good ole days", which I
missed).

Travis

jfklganyc

Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:49 am

Before the new terminal, what did the old gates look like? How many were there? Where were they located?

PJ

potomac

Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:07 am

before the new terminal, flights operated out of the existing and previously mentioned A terminal, another 'finger' (since demolsihed), a series of gates attached to the 'main' terminal, as well as the 'north' terminal. there was also a small commuter terminal adjacent to north.

when construction on the new terminal began (taking out the north and commuter terminal), the interim terminal was built in one of the north hangars, and it housed usairways and delta.

[Edited 2005-04-19 18:09:40]

supa7E7

Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:08 am

It is a beautiful piece of architecture. Go back to Wal-Mart if you like convenience so much.

CBERFlyer

Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:06 am

While the pier that NWA uses (along with Midwest, ATA, and AirTran) does date from the 60's, it is a pleasant, open, well-lit space, and usually is not crowded. It also has good views of the south end of the main runway and down the Potomac River. The only real drawback is that it is rather remote from the new terminal (B/C) and the Metro station, close to a 1/2 mile walk. If you're familiar with DCA, you know walking distance to the new terminal is only a few hundred feet from the Metro station and parking garages!

The old historic portion of terminal A is currently under renovation, and has been for a number of years now. The plans are for the terminal to be completely restored to the original 1940's design and look, and for it to be full service, with gates, ticket counters, and concessions. Does anyone know if DCA plans to demolish the NWA 60's pier once new gates are ready in the historic terminal?

Here's a link to the DCA web site, with facts and history about this airport: www.mwaa.com/national/facts.htm

September11

Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:09 am

TWA, America West, Northwest, Midwest Express, Continental used to have gates at Terminal A. I am sure there are more airlines that used Terminal A gates.

I love that terminal. Classic and historical.

DIA

Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:14 am

Quoting September11 (Reply 10):
TWA, America West, Northwest, Midwest Express, Continental used to have gates at Terminal A. I am sure there are more airlines that used Terminal A gates.

I flew ATA out of this terminal many times. . .loved all of them. There is a sense of aviation history there that has not been destroyed.

doninfc

Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:20 am

I remember reading somewhere that the 60s pier will be demolished when the old terminal restoration/gates is completed, but don't hold me to it. The restoration project seems to be endless. Currently Terminal A houses NW, NK, YX and FL.

727LOVER

Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:23 am

ANCFlyer

Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:31 am

Quoting Doninfc (Reply 12):
Currently Terminal A houses NW, NK, YX and FL.

Did AS move over to the new terminal with AA? ATA was in A Terminal as well, did they move?

One of the classiest parts of the restoration of the old terminal is the Continental Presidents Club which is in the old second floor restaurant. It overlooks the entire field and is quite a nice place. It's a smaller club, but fit quite nicely in the space provided without tearing out any walls. They repaired and restored the walls and celings and have hung photos of what the place was like back in the 50s/60s. Superb place for watching traffic at DCA.

Indy

Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:32 am

I love those old airport pics. Keep em coming.

doninfc

Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:43 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 15):
Did AS move over to the new terminal with AA? ATA was in A Terminal as well, did they move?

I forgot about ATA and AS. I think they are both still in A.

CBERFlyer

Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:47 am

Last time I was over at DCA, TZ was still over in terminal A, while AS had moved over to terminal B (using gate 30 or 32, I believe)

jdaniel001

Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:00 am

So if the 'A' pier is demolished, will they ground load from terminal "A" out of the renovated terminal. That would be the only way the keep the historical feel. Am I wrong?

SilentObserver

Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:22 pm

Quoting September11 (Reply 10):
TWA, America West, Northwest, Midwest Express, Continental used to have gates at Terminal A.

Guessing TWA doesn't fly out of DCA anymore.

Aren't Continental's Gates actually between A and B. But you enter through B security? If I remember correctly they run along the landside passage to A (obviously on the airside though). There are not actually located out in the B pier. Kind of pigeon holed in.

RDUDDJI

Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:51 pm

I love some terminal A too. Midway used to use Gate 1 years ago...

Quoting CBERFlyer (Reply 9):
The only real drawback is that it is rather remote from the new terminal (B/C) and the Metro station, close to a 1/2 mile walk.

Last time I was there they had a shuttle outside from Term A to the metro station. I was slightly lost and some skycap pointed me in the right direction. Do they still have the shuttle?

CBERFlyer

Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:28 am

CO's gates (11, 12, and 14) are considered to be in terminal B, however, it's correct in that they (along with F9 at gate 10) are in an already-renovated section of the historic terminal A building. Here's a map of the DCA terminals: www.mwaa.com/national/terminalmap.htm.

There is still a shuttle van service from the Metro station to Terminal A. Even then, it is still a bit of a walk (outdoors!) from the station to the shuttle stop. In inclement weather, it is much more pleasant to take the long walk through terminal B and the connector to terminal A.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos