Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

andz
Topic Author

Nationwide (CE) To Get 744s?

Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:58 pm

I heard a rumour that the South African airline Nationwide is to acquire 2 744s from an Eastern airline. Nationwide currently fly regional and domestic in Southern Africa with 727-100s, 727-200s, 732s and 735s, as well as a couple of times a week to LGW with a 767. This would obviously be a big bold step for them, and quite honestly I was a bit skeptical.

Anyone heard anything about this?
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

northwest 777

RE: Nationwide (CE) To Get 744s?

Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:05 pm

I don't have any info myself but here's bump for this thread in hopes I can hear some more myself. This seems a bit like a stretch but i'd love to see it happen. I'm assuming they'd just replace the 767s on the London route and either just get rid of them or use them to start new European service because I just can't see this little airline starting a brand new service somewhere the the 744s.

andz
Topic Author

Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:23 pm

Northwest at the moment CE only have 1 767 which obviously has inherent dangers to the reliability of their service to Gatwick. From what I have heard the service is popular so planning on increasing their capacity may not be a bad thing.

Incidentally I flew JNB-CPT-JNB with CE this week, the fare was ZAR 950 while SAA quoted ZAR 3,800!!

JGPH1A

Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:29 pm

What was that SA airline that got hold of two ex-SQ 743's and was going to fly them to LGW and MUC - they were even repainted (in an APPALLING c's as I recall), but nothing came of it.

I expect this is much the same. SA is never going to let CE get too big for itself. A 3x weekly service to LGW is about as much as SA would be prepared to tolerate.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

andz
Topic Author

Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:40 pm

JGPH1A There was Civair and another but I can't remember which one which were both stillborn. CE have flourished against the odds and I agree that going international is a big step, there were many raised eyebrows when they announced the 767 to LGW but once again they have made it work!

JGPH1A

Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:59 pm

Quoting Andz (Reply 4):
there were many raised eyebrows when they announced the 767 to LGW but once again they have made it work!

How could a Jo'burg-London route NOT work ? Filling a plane on a route where supply is deliberately and systematically restricted at Government level to WAY below demand is not that difficult, especially a 3x weekly 767. Provided your aircraft is reasonably serviceable and you don't leave your passengers stuck more than once a week (eg. Avia), you're onto a goldmine, especially now that the Rand is doing better.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

cornish

Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:21 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 5):
How could a Jo'burg-London route NOT work ? Filling a plane on a route where supply is deliberately and systematically restricted at Government level to WAY below demand is not that difficult, especially a 3x weekly 767. Provided your aircraft is reasonably serviceable and you don't leave your passengers stuck more than once a week (eg. Avia), you're onto a goldmine, especially now that the Rand is doing better.

Its true. Every BA, SA and VS flight between South Africa and the UK is damn near full in all cabins these days. All the carriers would offer more flights if the bilaterals would let them. so another carrier offering seats on the market, providing it doesn't have an appalling reputation, and perhaps selling tickets at a price slightly lower than the mainstream competitors in order to appeal to those more budget-concious travellers SHOULD be able to make a success of the route.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

andz
Topic Author

Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:42 pm

The raised eyebrows were more a tribute to people thinking "ha Nationwide you upstart now you will see your ass" than anything else. Nationwide have succeeded where others such as Flitestar and Sun Air tried and failed, namely in taking on SAA in the domestic and regional market as a full service airline. Nationwide offer a service where you can arrange car hire for your destination during your flight and they guarantee it will be ready, the meals are great and the staff are friendly and efficient.

Kulula.com and 1Time are real LCCs and BA Comair is successful too, but Nationwide have been at it the longest. If I have to fly anyone other than SAA, Nationwide is my first choice domestically.

Russophile

Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:56 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 3):
What was that SA airline that got hold of two ex-SQ 743's and was going to fly them to LGW and MUC - they were even repainted (in an APPALLING c's as I recall), but nothing came of it.

You would be thinking of African Star Airways.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Andrew Hunt - AirTeamImages

A total debacle of a start up it was.

JGPH1A

Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:10 pm

Quoting Andz (Reply 7):
The raised eyebrows were more a tribute to people thinking "ha Nationwide you upstart now you will see your ass" than anything else. Nationwide have succeeded where others such as Flitestar and Sun Air tried and failed, namely in taking on SAA in the domestic and regional market as a full service airline.

True, CE have carved themselves a good niche, but I wonder if SAA's really percieves them as a true threat ? SA operates on average at least twice as many flights per day as CE on the main trunk routes, with much newer and larger aircraft, and CE only operate to LVI on regional routes, hardly competition for SA (or anyone else, really).

andz
Topic Author

Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:23 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 9):
I wonder if SAA's really percieves them as a true threat ?

Good point, if you see that despite the huge fare differences sometimes, SAA's flights are usually full. However like you said they might not take kindly to CE encroaching too much onto their goldmine route to London!

JGPH1A

Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:26 pm

Quoting Andz (Reply 10):
However like you said they might not take kindly to CE encroaching too much onto their goldmine route to London!

If past behaviour is any indication, no they won't ! Especially not with 744-like capacity. We await developments...

AT502B

Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:53 pm

Interesting rumour! There was mention on this forum that CE was also planning service to MIA? If this happens I could see them doing really well to LGW and MIA with a couple 744's (say 3 weekly 744 to MIA and 4-weekly to LGW).
I love the smell of jet fuel in the morning.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos