Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

Glom

RE: Boeing: 787 Distinctive External Look - NOT Gone.

Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:23 am

I have to agree that I don't think that the cool features of the original 787 concept wouldn't have really made it obvious to the public. Only two aircraft are really household names: Concorde and the 747. Everyone who is a dunse knows Concorde, but the 747? I'm not so sure. If it's big, they might guess correctly, but I'm sure plenty of people would confuse it with an A340. The A380 will probably become the third of course, but I don't think the 787 in any look was destined for universal recognition.

I'm quite surprised by how many people have reacted so violently to this. They seem halfway towards suing Boeing for breach of the unspoken contract. Boeing hasn't done anything wrong. It's a shame the design had to become more conventional, but Boeing is fully within their rights to wound your spotters' pride.

Having said that, I still think the tail is reasonably distinctive. Those who think it looks like a 777 tale need to have their eyes checked. It's still a little bit curvy, not as much, but a little. The tail droops down towards the back, which is interesting. Overall, it does look more curvy than the 777.

AFROTC

Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:46 am

It took a minute for the new look to grow on me, but i love it!, cant wait to see the flight deck.
We've Been Looking For You, United States Airforce, Cross Into The Blue!

DAYflyer

Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:30 am

Quoting FlyCaledonian (Reply 4):
Has somebody from Long Beach managed to get involved in the 787? That nose cone reminds me of the MD-11

Somehow it reminds me of a 757 nose.
One Nation Under God

grantcv

Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:26 am

The problem with the new look of the 787 is one of expectation. Boeing has spent a lot of marketing time describing the aircraft as having a distinctive look. The original 7E7 picture was quite uninteresting. So, they brought in a marketing firm to design a new boeing livery and come up with a concept design. The look was supposed to regenerate excitement in Boeing's offering after years and years of derivative aircraft and to blunt the disappointment of the Sonic Cruiser being nothing more than a marketing concept - as had been rumored for a while.

In recent months they have tried to live down the expectation that the aircraft would continue to have the distinctive look, but I don't think they went far enough.

Boeing continues even now to describe the look as distinctive - but is it really? The nose still has a hint of the concept nose, but is really just a derivative of what came before it. The tail is the biggest disappointment. It looks like a combination of the 777's overall profile with the 767's steep and ugly drop-off. While one can claim a hint of a curve in the leading edge, it seems to me that it is an illusion of the Boeing livery.

To me, the resulting plane doesn't live up to the name "DreamLiner". Now I understand why they named it the 787 rather than going in a new direction. For all its new benefits, it is still an evolution of Boeing's traditional line. That isn't a bad thing - but it isn't what Boeing had led us to believe.

Its a pity they chose to reveal such a let down just hours before the A380 took to the air - it doesn't help with the perception that Boeing represents the past.

nucsh

Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:45 am

Quoting Columba (Reply 50):
I doubt that, Passengers -except a.netters and other aviation geeks- won´t recognize the 787 as a special plane.
I think it is still looking good, but it looks like an airliner should look like, it has no real distinctive look that makes it special from its competioner.
So no ordinary passenger will be able to say while he is boarding :"Look we are gonna to fly with a Dreamliner."

I respectfully disagree. Passengers will notice bigger windows and ambient lighting. There's no way they can't. Not to mention the less-violent ear pop due to the lower inner atmosphere.

IMHO, people will know what a dreamliner is.  Smile
If landing is about "kissing" the ground, you just about raped it.

FriendlySkies

Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:06 am

Something that hasn't been brought up is the rather negative reaction when the first concept images were released, with the shark tail and pointy nose. That design has grown on us and so will this one. It's really not that much different if you look hard enough. And as Nusch said, passengers will know the airplane from its features inside. I can guarantee that people will confuse the A380 with the 747, it's just going to happen. And people will probably call the 787 a 747. Until an extremely radical design is created, it will stay that way. I'm sorry, but the A380 or the 787 are not radical enough to the average joe to be recognized as much as the 747 or Concord.

petertenthije

Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:54 am

Quoting DIA (Reply 47):
Someone said the nose loks more like an E-170/190. . .I agree:

I find the 787 looks more like a Dornier 728. In particular the nose section.
Attamottamotta!

yul332LX

Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:12 am

Gosh, hated it yesterday,

...still hate it today.

Especially the -8 version Sad
E volavo, volavo felice più in alto del sole, e ancora più su mentre il mondo pian piano spariva lontano laggiù ...

miamix707

Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:13 pm

I was never a big fan of the 'dreamliner' shape overall. However it looked as different as a twinjet with underwing engines could get and that was very good news. Now it looks as conventional as ever.. only visual improvement to me is that the rear of the fuselage tapers normally. Before it was too blunt and ugly. But guess what? now they totally screwed up that front end..

Couldn't they make the last windows on the windshield look a little more aerodynamic? That thing looks like an Airbus windshield! Also, perhaps because now the nose is shorter, those engines seem TOO big...

I have to say that now after seeing the A380 flying, perhaps it looks even better than this 787 will.. At least the engines and tail on the A380 are proportional.

I don't know why Boeing designed the 737NGs tail so large and that of the 787 so small, proportionately speaking.

cloudboy

Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:05 pm

Don't forget that this are only artist impressions - there is only so much you can do with either a computer or pencils and paint. I am going to hold off judgement until I see a scale model.
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski

columba

Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:06 pm

Quoting AFROTC (Reply 52):
It took a minute for the new look to grow on me, but i love it!, cant wait to see the flight deck.

Just look at a 777 flight deck, there won´t be too much difference.

Quoting Nucsh (Reply 55):
I respectfully disagree. Passengers will notice bigger windows and ambient lighting. There's no way they can't. Not to mention the less-violent ear pop due to the lower inner atmosphere.

IMHO, people will know what a dreamliner is.

Maybe frequent flyers will recognize it from the inside. But I meant while boarding and seeing the 787 parked at the gate, no ordinary passenger will see the difference between a 777/767 or A330/A350 (if they decide to built the A350).
With the shark tail and the great cockpit windows the 787 would be truely unique and recognisable for people who are not too much into aviation but have read somewhere about the new Boeing.......

Quoting Petertenthije (Reply 57):
I find the 787 looks more like a Dornier 728. In particular the nose section.

indeed  bigthumbsup  Too Bad Dornier is not around anymore and the 727Jet only in the museum. Would have loved to fly with it.
It will forever be a McDonnell Douglas MD 80 , Boeing MD 80 sounds so wrong

FlySSC

Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:42 am

Quoting DIA (Reply 47):
Someone said the nose loks more like an E-170/190. . .I agree:

To me, it still looks like more the nose of the good old Caravelle ...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Clive Peace
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Bill Sheridan