Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

rsmith6621a
Topic Author

Boeing Should Be Ashamed

Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:08 pm

Boeing Should Be Ashamed of itself.....

I think Boeing has just done something that will damage its reputation.

What YOU may be asking.......

Changing the Sharkstail look on the 787.......This design seem to be part of what Boeing was offering its launch customer up until its announcement of its big sale to Air Canada. The new 787 has now been reduced to being nothing but a glorified morf between the 767 and the 777. The nose of the 787 looks like a contemporary C-130.

I wonder just how many of its planned customers are going to reconsider its options now that the tail looks like every other Boeing aircraft.

I know that Boeing had planned to have a T-Tail for the 67-57 but the last known images of that version were released in 1978 4 years before the first flight and the first customer sale, in fact Boeing never sold a T-Tail version.

Boeing played with its customer base making them believe they were going to get a contemporary sleak looking modern aircraft,having bigger window doesnt fit the term SLEAK.

Boeing Should Be Ashamed
Did You Ever Think Freedom Could Be this Bad

mrniji

RE: Boeing Should Be Ashamed

Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:12 pm

Indeed a corporate malpractice... I agree.. probably this was all well-planned

Quoting Rsmith6621a (Thread starter):
I wonder just how many of its planned customers are going to reconsider its options now that the tail looks like every other Boeing aircraft.

I doubt that any will cancel the orders, as long as the technical details remain constant
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

mika

Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:13 pm

The question is if airlines of today buy an A/C for it's looks or it's performance, i do want to believe the later. However it is no secret that having an ultra-modern looking A/C does appeal to the customer base and it does give you a certain amount of good PR.

What are your thoughts guys? I think this is a very good question.

rlwynn

Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:13 pm

I find it impossible to believe that somebody could think a potential customer would base their decision on how the tail looks. Is this for real?
I can drive faster than you

usair330

Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:15 pm

No reason for them to be asahamed. Whether it has a Sharktail or not it really doesn't matter. As long as it performs the way they claim it's suppose to and customers keep ordering than what does it matter.

And no customer's wont change there mind just because it doesn't have a shark tail... They could care less what it looks like as long as it saves them some money, whether its $1 or a million a year.

Smile... Sry if it sounds mean it isn't intentional.

soaringadi

Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:19 pm

They do whatever is best for the airplane..... and believe me the engineers out there know way better than us what is best for that airplane.
If it ain't Boeing, I'm not going !

tekelberry

Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:24 pm

Boeing should be ashamed if they kept the original sharkfin tail and it ended up performing worse than the new standardized one. I doubt any customers are going to have a problem that Boeing improved its design.

stlgph

Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:24 pm

well, you could always address your concerns here. i'm sure anybody who gives a hoot will listen. chances of response =might= be greater with a self addressed stamped return envelope.

Boeing World Headquarters
Customer Satisfaction Department
100 N. Riverside Plaza Suite 105
Chicago, IL 60606-1596
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

APFPilot1985

Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:28 pm

you should be ashamed for making such a silly comment. the airlines dont care at all how a plane looks, as well as the vast majority of the traveling public. All the airlines care about is how it will save them money, and all the passengers care about is if it will get them from a to b cheaper faster and more comfortably.
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

PlanesNTrains

Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:29 pm

Boeing played with its customer base making them believe they were going to get a contemporary sleak looking modern aircraft,having bigger window doesnt fit the term SLEAK.

I certainly have zero inside knowledge, but I would imagine that conversations about the configuration of the aircraft, including appearance, going on behind the scenes are vastly different than those being shown on a website or in a press release.

For example, while showing the shark fin tail in conceptuals, they may very well have been telling customers behind the scenes that it would likely evolve into something more conventional. Additionally, airlines that placed orders knew the configuration was open to refinement, but were happy to go along with the PR as it would support their decision and image.

I am having a hard time imagining any airline exec losing a moments sleep over this. Now A.netters - that's a different story (or breed, I'm not sure).

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

baw716

Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:31 pm

USAir330,
Amen. Its how it performs that matters, not how it looks.

I suspect the shark fin would have been an engineering nightmare. It would have to have been composite molded with the rudder fitted to it. I don't know if that is what Boeing had in mind. I just don't think you can cut metal to look like a rounded fin at the tail. Then again, could the tail and rudder have been composite? I don't know the answer, and now that the design is set, it really doesn't matter. The aircraft will perform magnificantly and I suspect will be lighter and more economical than ever though possible. With engines that seem to be the diameter of the fuselage, it will be a rocket with wings.

It will truly change the way people fly, much like the first flight of the A380 did today.

To my way of thinking, Boeing has nothing of which to be ashamed.

baw716
David L. Lamb, fmr Area Mgr Alitalia SFO 1998-2002, fmr Regional Analyst SFO-UAL 1992-1998

jwenting

Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:31 pm

Quoting Rlwynn (Reply 3):
I find it impossible to believe that somebody could think a potential customer would base their decision on how the tail looks. Is this for real?

No doubt it's real. Just read the multitude of threads discussing what aircraft an airline should buy, most boil down to "X looks better in their livery than Y so they should buy X".
I wish I were flying

flashmeister

Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:32 pm

You really think that the big airlines don't also employ people that know a thing or two about aerodynamics? I doubt anyone at any of the carriers was surprised by any of the pictures that came out...

What a ridiculous complaint about the airplane. Go buy some legos and leave the composites to the folks in Seattle.

Pbb152

Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:33 pm

This is the most ridiculous post I think I have ever seen on this forum! And coming from a 36-45 year old aircraft dispatcher who you would think had some kind of knowledge of the industry. Yeah, airlines are going to cancel orders because the tail looks different than the initial concept. Man, you need to take some business/economic courses and learn what is really important to CEO's and shareholders of airlines.

My last bit of .02--Boeing has stated for quite some time that the initial concepts that included the shark tail would not represent the final design of the aircraft. The 787 was still undergoing aerodynamic/wind tunnell testing and they clearly stated that the shark tail would most likely be toned down once all such testing was complete as it may not represent the most aerodynamic design. Those of you who think Boeing's customers didn't know this are extremely ignorant.

Pete

SFORunner

Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:37 pm

Maybe if Boeing adds a big "Type R" sticker and some neon lights to the 787, they can make up the performance lost to the non-shark fin tail.

checkeredflag 

centrair

Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:11 pm

I believe that airlines are invited to help in the design of new aircraft. Airlines have their own engineers who deal with the planes in the real world which can be priceless advice to the initial designers.

The fin may have been good in initial designs, but as it went through tunnel tests and such, maybe it started to not work so well. Maybe the cost of its design and build was too much. If the design fits the need of the aircraft, keeps costs down, and provides to the airlines what they wish...it has done its job.

I think this is much deeper than "cool" or "looks good". You know every sharktail is different. Some are curved and others are pointy. It is just a different type of shark now.

I doubt that airlines were saying, "if you loose the sharktail, I won't buy it because it won't be cool anymore."
My name is Centrair but HND is closer. Let's Japanese Aviation!

rsmith6621a
Topic Author

Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:21 pm

" believe that airlines are invited to help in the design of new aircraft. Airlines have their own engineers who deal with the planes in the real world which can be priceless advice to the initial designers."

That brings up another issue......Is Boeng using the same CAD program on the 787 and are the United States carriers having involvment in this project like they did with the 777

Toulouse

Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:49 pm

Come on... I don't think, in fact I'm sure, no airline is going to reconsider its 787 orders or potential orders because of the look of the tail. I think they'll most definitely be considringother important "commercial/financial/technical" issues.
Long live Aer Lingus!

Ken777

Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:59 pm

Airlines are going to want whatever the wind tunnel tests shows was the most efficient and cheapest for them to operate. A quick glance at the price of oil gives a pretty good indication of what the airlines want in the 787.

sebolino

Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:29 pm

Changing the Sharkstail look on the 787.......This design seem to be part of what Boeing was offering its launch customer up until its announcement of its big sale to Air Canada

Really what did you expect ?
That was pure marketing, that's very normal.
And I doubt any client care about the look of the plane, really. All this noise about the looks of the 787 or the A380 is senseless.
Only the ability to make money is important, and it seems that the 787 is very promising.

mrcomet

Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:37 pm

As everyone said airlines don't care. In fact, many were peeved that Boeingwas even considering sacrificing efficiency to make the plane more distinct. A distinct planes is more important to Boeing than the airlines who may also own the other aircraft Boeing is trying to look different from.
The dude abides

Mark_D.

Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:09 pm

Rsmith6621a-- I wonder just how many of its planned customers are going to reconsider its options now that the tail looks like every other Boeing aircraft.

Really, don't worry about it. Especially because I sure don't think their planned customers are either  fluffy 

MidnightMike

Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:18 pm

I think Boeing has just done something that will damage its reputation.

What YOU may be asking.......

Changing the Sharkstail look on the 787.......This design seem to be part of what Boeing was offering its launch customer up until its announcement of its big sale to Air Canada. The new 787 has now been reduced to being nothing but a glorified morf between the 767 and the 777. The nose of the 787 looks like a contemporary C-130.

I know that Boeing had planned to have a T-Tail for the 67-57 but the last known images of that version were released in 1978 4 years before the first flight and the first customer sale, in fact Boeing never sold a T-Tail version.

Boeing Should Be Ashamed

All the airlines care about are the performance numbers, there has been talk that by removing the "Shark Fin", the performance could be improved. Improved performance numbers make the airlines smile, so the answer to your question, NONE, of the airlines will cancel their orders.
NO URLS in signature

Navion

Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:26 pm

This thread is so incredibly ridiculous that I'm ashamed to be taking the time to respond. The airline industry is based upon making money. The technical details of the revolutionary 787 are what will determine it's success, not if it has a "shark tail" or not. Boeing should be ashamed of itself?! Good God, do we not have more substantive issues to think about? I am dumbfounded how inane this whole thread is. I vote this as one of the most naive and childish threads posted yet this year.

AvioGuy

Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:31 pm

It was known from long back that the shark tail design on the tail will not work. It is nothing new and the customers were well aware of that.

MidnightMike

Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:33 pm

Quoting Navion (Reply 23):
This thread is so incredibly ridiculous that I'm ashamed to be taking the time to respond. The airline industry is based upon making money.

Yeah I know, I want my "5" minutes back!  Smile
NO URLS in signature

godbless

Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:40 pm

The airline that orders planes because of the look of them deserve to go the way of PanAm, Eastern, Swissair, Aero Lloyd, Sabena,... (I know, they went belly up for other reasons). Some people still do not understand that the airline business was there before spotters and not the spotters before the airline business...

Max

AvioGuy

Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:44 pm

I dont think any airline till date might have placed an order of an aircraft on its looks... Big grin Its usually, actually make that always good deal, efficiency, technological advanecement or politics.

Glom

Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:47 pm

Is this a joke? If there was any truth to the idea that an airline would operate an aircraft because of its looks, they'd all be flying Concordes.

Besides, the reaction on this board to the dropping of the shark tail is absurd in itself. Sure, it's not as distinctive as before, but it still has its own charm and it certainly isn't ugly. On the contrary, it's still a very graceful bird, even if a little more conventional.

Grow up! Boeing's got more important things to worry about than satisfying the desires of spotters.

keta

Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:05 pm

wonder just how many of its planned customers are going to reconsider its options now that the tail looks like every other Boeing aircraft.

As everybody said, I don't think that any airline will cancel their orders. Airlines definitely look at the airplane's performance. If it's better, then all carriers will be happier.  Smile

However, a distinctive-looking plane does a good PR. Airlines that bought the A380 are certainly using its image to promote themselves. See SQ, they're doing PR saying "first to fly the A380". If the 787 was a distinctive plane, airlines would use this as PR, but now that it's another common-looking plane (for most people) they can't. They may say that it's a super-efficient plane, but people wont' know which one they're talking about. But that's only for propaganda, airlines don't buy planes for this, they can use it to sell more.

twocents 
Where there's a will, there's a way

kc135topboom

Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:20 pm

Maybe the "shark tail" design just didn't meet the performance and fuel economy, specs Boeing had hoped for, in the wind tunnel?

DAYflyer

Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:36 pm

wonder just how many of its planned customers are going to reconsider its options now that the tail looks like every other Boeing aircraft

None. They don't change something without letting the customers know. In fact, they have been highly involved in the design process and have been aware that the final lines and design were subject to change based upon favorable outcomes regarding aircraft efficiency, which was fine with them. I cannot name my source for this, let's just say it is well placed and wishes to remain anonymous.
One Nation Under God

BlueSky1976

Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:04 pm

Quoting BAW716 (Reply 10):
I suspect the shark fin would have been an engineering nightmare. It would have to have been composite molded with the rudder fitted to it. I don't know if that is what Boeing had in mind.

Boeing engineers said on more than one occasions, that the sharkfin tail was an aerodynamic nightmare and as such would significantly increase drag and fuel burn.

I suggest using spell-checker next time before posting.

The new 787 has now been reduced to being nothing but a glorified morf between the 767 and the 777

...that will be up to 30%* more economical compared to anything else that's flying today in its class. NUMBERS MAKE IT HAPPEN. Not looks...

*) according to Air Canada management
The queen of the skies is dead.

USAF336TFS

Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:06 pm

I'll give you a real down and dirty answer for that...

NONE!
336th Tactical Fighter Squadron, 4th Fighter Wing, Seymour Johnson AFB

Glom

Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:19 pm

The 787 still offers more PR boost than the A380 because of the cabin conditions, which are significantly improved. That will mean even more to customers. Most won't care what aircraft they're on as long as they're comfortable.

LON-CHI

Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:32 pm

I'm having a hard time believing that the OP was not a joke. Come on, he lists his age as 36-45 and his occupation as a flight dispatcher. He can't seriously believe that airlines are going to cancel multi-billion $$$ orders because the plane doesn't look as sleek as it did before.

I love starting the day with a good laugh - thanks!  rotfl 

lnglive1011yyz

Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:33 pm

Do you even have a remote idea of how aerodynamics and customer performance guarantees works?

While I'm definitely not involved in the airline industry, from a business perspective, you need to understand that Boeing is NOT DEVELOPING THIS PLANE FOR US. They are building an airplane that will be ULTRA efficient.

The looks of the airplane have NOTHING to do with the efficiencies that are required to make the plane a success. (Meaning, it doesn't have to appeal to US)

Boeing did NOT promise their customers that the plane would be "sleek" and "unique" or whatever you're up in arms about.

The customers have been promised an ultra efficient ,new-build, aircraft.

That's what they're going to get.

This thread is / was designed to just get everyone's panties in a knot.

1011yyz
Pack your bags, we're going on a sympathy trip!

USAF336TFS

Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:42 pm

Quoting Lnglive1011yyz (Reply 36):
This thread is / was designed to just get everyone's panties in a knot.

You keep reminding me why you are one of my Respected Users! Thanks again for your eloquent responses!
336th Tactical Fighter Squadron, 4th Fighter Wing, Seymour Johnson AFB

Boeing7E7

Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:49 pm

It's been gone for a while.

As long as it performs as advertised, they won't give a rip.

Boeing played with its customer base making them believe they were going to get a contemporary sleak looking modern aircraft,having bigger window doesn't fit the term SLEAK.

I guarantee they were all told of the likely changes to the look, and with even greater specificity. Even the public was clued in from day one.

Boeing Should Be Ashamed

Of what? Offering a plane that saves 850,000 gallons of fuel per year or more per aircraft over like sized aircraft in a normal utilization model (230-250 gph/saved * 10blckhrs/day * 365 -> yields over 850,000 gallons per year +). Yeah... I'd be ashamed too.

LMP737

Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:57 pm

If the "sharktail" were the most aerodynamicly efficient design then it would still be there. Since it is not it is reasonable to assume that what you see now is the most efficient design Boeing came up with.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

AvioGuy

Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:01 pm

"The most efficient design" will never be built! For an airline the most efficient is what costs the least. Unless you make an aircraft that runs on water or something tat cant be achieved. The sharktail has been removed for the best interest of airlines and passengers, maybe it was not safe enough aerodynamically? Maybe it would not produce the desired results?? There can be a hundred reasons why it was taken off but ultimately it was done for the betterment of the product only.

ORD2PHL

Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:04 pm

You should be ashamed for writing this thread, this is the biggest amount of rot I've read on a.net in a long time.

I think that so long as Boeing is on target with performance specifications and offering sweet deals on the ultra modern airliner of the future, they'll (airlines) would still be lining up in droves to order it. And although I haven't seen it yet, please save the A350 looks too much like the A330 for people to order...when the reason is that the plane provides very little in terms of revolution from one frame to another.

I'm also sure that we weren't the only ones that forsaw the possible modification of the tail, airlines had to know that it was potentially coming since the design had not yet been frozen....let's be honest, execs at the purchasing airlines were probably way more in the loop than you (us)!

ORD2PHL

tockeyhockey

Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:09 pm

i'm sorry, but this is an incredibly dumb thing to say. boeing obviously thinks that the new tail will make the 787 cheaper and more efficient. that's all that airlines care about.

chrisnh

Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:09 pm

Why should Boeing be ashamed for changing the frigging LOOK of the plane??? Geez, you think that's what airlines base their buying decisions on? 'Oh...it doesn't look like the earlier rendering...let's not buy it!' Obviously the LOOK of the plane has EVERYTHING to do with operational efficiency and fuel consumption. THAT is what carriers look for. So, if the changed profile of the 787 doesn't suit you, so what? It's not like you're going to be one of their customers!  Smile

bongo

Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:16 pm

But what was the main reason Boeing changed the style of the tail ?
MDE: First airport in the Americas visited by the A380!

rsmith6621a
Topic Author

Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:42 pm

quote...... guarantee they were all told of the likely changes to the look, and with even greater specificity. Even the public was clued in from day one....end

As stated in a previous post Boeing has a history of introducing an aircraft pre-production that gets alot of AWES and OOOS because it just looks plain SLEAK and then right before production is to begin they change the eratic design in exchange for what they already knew would be truly aerodynamic posssible. It is sad that Boeing cannot just rest on the quality of their product instead of creating a frenzzy of hype over somthing that wont ever happen.......How many times has Airbus done a major change of the external look of one of their A300 series aircraft from when it was on the drawing board????..........Was a Bus ever introduced with a T-Tail.....was a Bus ever introduced with a sleak tail???....Airbus knows they have a great product that they dont have to spin or decieve their customer base........they just simply build great aircraft........always remember 10:30am TLS time on April 27, 2005 that was truly the day that Airbus TRUMPED Boeing.

AvioGuy

Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:45 pm

Quote:
quote...... guarantee they were all told of the likely changes to the look, and with even greater specificity. Even the public was clued in from day one....end

As stated in a previous post Boeing has a history of introducing an aircraft pre-production that gets alot of AWES and OOOS because it just looks plain SLEAK and then right before production is to begin they change the eratic design in exchange for what they already knew would be truly aerodynamic posssible. It is sad that Boeing cannot just rest on the quality of their product instead of creating a frenzzy of hype over somthing that wont ever happen.......How many times has Airbus done a major change of the external look of one of their A300 series aircraft from when it was on the drawing board????..........Was a Bus ever introduced with a T-Tail.....was a Bus ever introduced with a sleak tail???....Airbus knows they have a great product that they dont have to spin or decieve their customer base........they just simply build great aircraft........always remember 10:30am TLS time on April 27, 2005 that was truly the day that Airbus TRUMPED Boeing.

That is such a load of trash its just funny!!

If you want this to be another rotten A Vs B post then just tell directly..i would stop making my point here.

YXDFan

Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:45 pm

I agree that this is a pretty ridiculous thread. To suggest that an airline would buy an airplane based more on its looks than performance is just plaid stupid... I would suggest getting a grasp of rudimentary economics before making such statements in future.

If Boeing had announced that the 787 fuel burn will be considerably higher than planned, then you might have a leg to stand on.

bongo

Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:04 am

Can you guys stop A vs. B war for a minute and explain to me what was the main reason Boeing changed the style of the tail ?  Confused
MDE: First airport in the Americas visited by the A380!

Boeing7E7

Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:11 am

Quoting Bongo (Reply 48):
Can you guys stop A vs. B war for a minute and explain to me what was the main reason Boeing changed the style of the tail ?

They changed it because of efficiency and performance.

Quoting Rsmith6621a (Reply 45):

I'll stop laughing someday, just not sure when. BTW, it still looks sleek.

Is this thread for real, or are you just doing like you do on the non-av board... starting pissing matches?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos