AirT85
Topic Author

Southwest Airlines Interview Questions

Sun May 01, 2005 1:41 pm

Hi Folks!

I am BEYOND excited to inform you that upon getting home tonight and checking my mail, I opened a letter from Southwest Airlines inviting me to a Group Information Session with them for the position of Flight Attendant.

This is a huge dream of mine and I am so thrilled that I am one step closer to accomplishing it. I just turned 20 yesterday, so I am finally able to work for them as a flight attendant!

My background lies mostly in customer service, with 4 years of working in grocery stores, retail and waiting tables. I am currently a waiter at a local Applebee's and love my job there.

I'm sure some (many?) of you have been through these experiences. Can you offer any advice for me? I have three weeks until my session but want to be as prepared as possible!

Thank you!

Tony
Why would God make us all so different, if He wanted us to be the same?

MidnightMike

RE: Southwest Airlines Interview Questions

Sun May 01, 2005 1:53 pm

IF you do not get any answers here, try:

http://www.flightattendants..org
NO URLS in signature

ASAFA

Sun May 01, 2005 2:08 pm

Congratulations!

I recently had the same experience at AS, and the interview process was very intensive. I imagine Southwest is similar, as they are looking for only the most qualified applicants who will positively contribute to the culture of the airline. Your customer service background is great, and will help a lot. Make sure to emphasize it in the interview process, and more importantly let them know you really love working with people. This is a must in the position. A professional attitude is also mandatory, as you will have a very long list of responsibilities that simply must be taken seriously. If you genuinely possess these qualities then you have nothing to worry about, just relax, be yourself, and be genuinely interested in everything that they and your fellow applicants have to say.

As for the process, I can only speak for AS, but chances are they will conduct a group interview after the information session. This will be your only chance to move on to the next round of interviews, so make it count. Believe it or not they are primarily looking at you when you're not speaking. They will assess your appearance (so look sharp), and your interaction with the rest of the group. Sit up front, talk to the other attendees, focus on the person speaking, and don't interrupt. The most common pitfall is that people feel like they need to talk more in order to make a good impression. That has the opposite effect. They are looking for people who genuinely want the job and will love it, and you seem to have this covered as well. Just remember that the selection they make from the group will seem very arbitrary, and a lot of really qualified people don't make it. Don't be discouraged if that is the case, as you can always try again.

Best of luck.
ASAFA

[Edited 2005-05-01 07:11:04]

stlgph

Sun May 01, 2005 2:30 pm

Quoting AirT85 (Thread starter):
I am currently a waiter at a local Applebee's and love my job there.

way to aim high.

I am finally able to work for them as a flight attendant!

way to aim higher.

Can you offer any advice for me? I have three weeks until my session but want to be as prepared as possible!

go to the website. read the company press releases. read back archives of Colleen's letters. google the history of the company. ask a question that you feel you could interact back with them when they provide you with an answer. don't make it appear you only know about the company from watching "Airline." view the online customer services commitment. take breath mints and don't eat or drink two hours before.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

OPNLguy

Sun May 01, 2005 11:18 pm

This topic has been discussed before, with much good info on the process mentioned. You might want to do a search of both Civil Aviation -and- archived Civil aviation for "Southwest Flight Attendant Interview" and see what you get. Try the "SWA" for Southwest and "F/A" for flight attendant variations as well.

Here's one such thread, and I'm sure that there are others...

https://www.airliners.net/discussions...neral_aviation/read.main/885265/6/

Good luck!
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

txagkuwait

Mon May 02, 2005 1:21 am

I came across some questions you might want to prepare answers for in advance:

1. "What crimes have you committed?"

Note: the film "Blazing Saddles" notwithstanding, the correct answer is not "Rape, Murder, Arson, and Rape." You'll be much better off admitting to stampeding cattle through the Vatican.

2. "Are you now or have you ever been a member of any organization dedicated to the violent overthrown of the United States Government."

Note: If you don't want a shocking conclusion to your employment plans (a la Ethel & Julius Rosenberg) don't say "yes" and especially don't say "I can't remember."

3. "Who is most responsible for the success, over the years, of Southwest Airlines Co.?"

Note: The historical revisionists will eat you alive if you say Lamar Muse. Repeat after me: Herb and Colleen....Herb and Colleen....Herb and Colleen.

Matching questions from the early days.

Match these people or things with what they did:

1. Jess Coker
2. Don Ogden
3. Harding Lawrence
4. W.W. Franklin
5. Debbie Muse
6. Sun Valley Motor Hotel
7. Banana Boat
8. Texas International
9. 3300 Love Field Dr
10. Sam Cohn

A. ex-American pilot who allegedly wanted Southwest pilots to slide open window and place a flag on nose of aircraft as it taxiied.

B. Early flight attendant.

C. Not exactly the most upscale place to keep flight crews overnighting in HRL.

D. Made the comment "when we started I could go to the convenience store at Mockingbird and Cedar Springs and cash my paycheck, now I could walk in and buy the store."

E. Location of original General Office.

F. 10 Minute Turn

G. In his efforts to kill Southwest he was probably the single most imprtant person in ensuring its ultimate success.

H. Knew everyone in Dallas. Marketing guy. Throngs of women would show up at Love Field insisting they should be able to fly NR as they were his close personal friend.

I. Gave Southwest gates at Little Rock so that they could basically start service there overnight.

J. AKA N25SW.

PS: You really don't need to pay attention to any of this. I was just having a bit of fun on a slow Sunday. BTW Howdy OPNL_Guy.

aloha73g

Mon May 02, 2005 1:59 am

My Uncle who is mechanic there since 1982 told me that a question they love to ask is, "What would you do if you didn't get along with one of the other crewmembers on your 3 day trip together?"

Hope that helps! Maybe try to get a hold of copies of 'LUV Lines', their employee newsletter. It really tells you alot about the inner workings of the company!

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

UAalltheway

Mon May 02, 2005 2:15 am

Also remember: Southwest wants to have employees that are fun(!) as well as professional. I suggest going into the interview with a smile on your face, and try to be funny (but not disturbing), and try to be very outgoing.  Smile

thegreatchecko

Mon May 02, 2005 2:27 am

All great ideas. I recently internviewed for a position at WN myself. My only piece of advise, just be yourself. Show your enthusiasm for the company and don't be funny if its not your thing. I'm no comedian, but I made light of a few things I've done in the past.

Just don't force it, they would much rather see someone with a great attitude than someone that is trying to fit into the stereotypical SWA FA routine.

Good Luck!

GreatChecko

PS Read the book NUTS!, and read it NOW if you haven't. Its a great primer on Southwest Airlines and how they do business. It might be a bit old and some of the info is a bit dated. However, it gives some good things to focus on and throw into your interview answers (it worked for me  Wink )
"A pilot's plane she is. She will love you if you deserve it, and try to kill you if you don't...She is the Mighty Q400"

OPNLguy

Mon May 02, 2005 2:50 am

OK, you're making my brain hurt from the strain of some stuff that far back, but here goes...

A. ex-American pilot who allegedly wanted Southwest pilots to slide open window and place a flag on nose of aircraft as it taxiied.
---2. Don Ogden

B. Early flight attendant.
---5. Debbie Muse

C. Not exactly the most upscale place to keep flight crews overnighting in HRL.
---6. Sun Valley Motor Hotel

D. Made the comment "when we started I could go to the convenience store at Mockingbird and Cedar Springs and cash my paycheck, now I could walk in and buy the store."
---10. Sam Cohn

E. Location of original General Office.
---9. 3300 Love Field Dr

F. 10 Minute Turn
---4. W.W. Franklin

G. In his efforts to kill Southwest he was probably the single most imprtant person in ensuring its ultimate success.
---3. Harding Lawrence

H. Knew everyone in Dallas. Marketing guy. Throngs of women would show up at Love Field insisting they should be able to fly NR as they were his close personal friend.
---1. Jess Coker

I. Gave Southwest gates at Little Rock so that they could basically start service there overnight.
---8. Texas International

J. AKA N25SW.
---7. Banana Boat

Now, as a bonus question for you, what did the crews calling in-range to HRL used to frequently request (much to the annoyance of Captain J.M.)??

As a double bonus, what was the name of the restaurant south of the border that HRL overnight crews used to frequent?
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

2H4

Mon May 02, 2005 5:08 am

Tony,

First and foremost, go buy this, and read it cover to cover a couple of times.

Remember, your interview starts the moment you depart on your trip to DAL. There have been instances where a job applicant treated WN customer service folks with disrespect on the way to his interview....word got to the hiring people, and the guy did NOT get the job.

On the way to my interview for a flight ops internship, I had a wonderful time meeting and chatting (I was careful not to brownnose) with FA's and other employees on the way. We generally talked about WN and made fun of other airlines. Sometimes I wonder if one of them put a good word in for me.

Whatever happens, best of luck, and do keep us posted!

Quoting STLGph (Reply 3):
way to aim high.

STLGph....what's that supposed to mean?

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

txagkuwait

Mon May 02, 2005 5:25 am

Not sure what folks wanted when they called in range.....for a long time HRL had no jet ways and folks used to groan when there were about 18 chair lifts for a flight with 112 seats and 60 revenue psgrs.

The valley, as you know, has a lot of retirees. Older folks have health problems. They used to grab the $15 flights HRL-HOU and then go spend the kids' inheritance at MD Anderson or the Houston Heart Center.

As far as restaurants, the one in Matamoros that everyone used to head to was the Drive In. I always preferred to stay on my side of the border, so I would hit the Oyster Bar on Boca Chica blvd in BRO. "Where the shrimp you eat today, slept in the gulf last night."

Starlionblue

Mon May 02, 2005 6:37 am

Quoting Aloha73G (Reply 6):
My Uncle who is mechanic there since 1982 told me that a question they love to ask is, "What would you do if you didn't get along with one of the other crewmembers on your 3 day trip together?"

And the correct answer is... "I would stay professional, especially in front of customers, regardless of how their behavior affected me." Or words to that effect.

Or you could just say that you would pour hot coffee over them. Depends how badly you want the job.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

OPNLguy

Mon May 02, 2005 6:51 am

Very good! The restaurant was indeed "The Drive-In"...

Crews calling in-range used to put cheeseburger orders in via the Ops Agent, and he'd call the snack bar there in the terminal. Unlike the typical airport food at the time, they actually were pretty good...

September11

Mon May 02, 2005 6:57 am

Amen ... good luck

20 years old seem young! I thought that 20 years old flight attendants can not serve alcohol beverage inflight?

can anyone shed light on that?
Airliners.net of the Future

Cactus739

Mon May 02, 2005 7:05 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 10):
Quoting STLGph (Reply 3):
way to aim high.

STLGph....what's that supposed to mean?

Basically it means he thinks he's better than AirT85 and thinks he can belittle his dream.

AirT.... read the book Nuts... be yourself.. in your group interview spend your time acknowledging others.. don't focus on yourself.

Good luck!
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

swadispatcher

Mon May 02, 2005 9:41 am

Quoting Cactus739 (Reply 15):
in your group interview spend your time acknowledging others.. don't focus on yourself.

Very good advice..
Maintain 2300 until Boiler, cleared for the VOR-A approach, report BATLE inbound..

Cactus739

Mon May 02, 2005 10:31 am

Thanks! I read that in Nuts..  Smile
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

N1120A

Mon May 02, 2005 10:40 am

Quoting September11 (Reply 14):
20 years old seem young! I thought that 20 years old flight attendants can not serve alcohol beverage inflight?

You can actually serve at 18, you just can't pour it for them
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

txagkuwait

Mon May 02, 2005 12:30 pm

OPNLGuy:

On cheeseburgers.....

Not sure if you ever had the great experience or not.

Back when Southwest reopened Hobby.....there was a drugstore with fountain service right there at the intersection of Airport Blvd and Telephone Rd. As I recall it was called "White's Pharmacy".

The lunch counter in said pharmacy had two rather largish ladies who did the cooking. The grill may never have been scraped. The burgers were to kill for. I wasn't old enough to rent a car...but would fly in to Hobby and walk over to the drugstore for one or two of those burgers.

They also did a good job on milk shakes.....they'd make them with an old waring blender and Blue Bell ice cream....and would cram as much ice cream in the blender til you told them that would be thick enough.

Oh yeah, they toasted the buns on the grill, too.

I've eaten the burgers at HRL and they were good but nothing on Earth was as good as burgers from that drugstore over by Hobby. I could probably have bought two dozen and sold them somewhere over Leona or Buffalo for 3x what I paid.

OPNLguy

Mon May 02, 2005 12:40 pm

Quoting TxAgKuwait (Reply 19):
As I recall it was called "White's Pharmacy".

I heard about the place when I was a Hobby rat 1977-1980, but never had the pleasure.

I could probably have bought two dozen and sold them somewhere over Leona or Buffalo for 3x what I paid.

Now, had you done that, we may had been able to avoid selling one of those four original aircraft to Frontier....  Wink

FlyingTexan

Mon May 02, 2005 12:41 pm

Back when Southwest reopened Hobby.....

Wow, TxAgKuwait – that was a loooong time ago! BTW – excellent posts (on every thread) and I admire your in-depth knowledge of that ‘little local airline in Texas.’
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

AirT85
Topic Author

Tue May 03, 2005 5:02 am

Thank you all for the advice (and trivia!)

Here are just a couple more questions that I don't believe have already been answered.

I'm wondering what exactly the Group Information Session is like? How many people usually attend at one time? How much opportunity is there for personal input? How long does the session last?

Thanks again!

-Tony

AirT85
Topic Author

Tue May 03, 2005 5:04 am

Double Post. Computer Error!

[Edited 2005-05-02 22:06:50]

AirT85
Topic Author

Tue May 03, 2005 5:04 am

Mod-Please Delete. Computer Error.

[Edited 2005-05-02 22:07:53]

AirT85
Topic Author

Tue May 03, 2005 5:05 am

Thank you all for the advice (and trivia!)

Here are just a couple more questions that I don't believe have already been answered.

I'm wondering what exactly the Group Information Session is like? How many people usually attend at one time? How much opportunity is there for personal input? How long does the session last?

Thanks again!

-Tony

ASAFA

Wed May 04, 2005 6:41 am

Quoting AirT85 (Reply 22):
I'm wondering what exactly the Group Information Session is like?

Several people, including actual WN flight attendants and people who work for the training department, will talk to the entire group about the good, the bad, and the ugly of the position. This is done to weed out people who may not know what the job is all about.

How many people usually attend at one time?

They probably have space for about 150 at a time, but the number in attendance could be anything from 20 up to that. After the initial session those who wish to go ahead with the employment process will likely be broken into smaller groups of about 15-25 people.

How much opportunity is there for personal input?

Not much during the presentation. They will probably just sit you down and talk to you, with perhaps the opportunity to ask some general questions. The group interview is where you will actually get to participate, and this will probably be right after the session, but you may be asked to come back on several different days.

How long does the session last?

Plan to spend the whole day. Arrive EARLY (at least 30 minutes early). The information session will probably last one or two hours, but they may follow it immediately with several rounds of interviews.

Cheers,
ASAFA

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos