United777
Topic Author

Merger Rumors (Alaska Airlines)

Mon Feb 01, 1999 6:54 am

Over the past few days I have heard some RUMORS that now U.S Airways is now looking at buying Alaska Airlines. U.S Airways might buy Alaska Airlines because it really has no west coast presence and needs one. U.S Airways says they will expand to the west coast when they get there new A319 and A320 aircraft but there nearest hub to the west is in Pittsburgh. If U.S Airways merges with Alaska Airlines I think it would happen. Alaska Airlines has the same fleet of aircraft U.S Airways with the 737-400 and MD-80 and Alaska Airlines and the 7 Boeing 737-200H 's could be used for metrojet.

There also rumors that American Airlines is looking at Alaska Airlines.

I think the best airline to merge with Alaska Airline is Northwest Airlines or Continental Airlines. Delta Airlines already has a good west coast presence. I hope they make Ontario there new hub.

They say that we might see more mergers because more airlines wan't to make a more west coast presence and right now U.S Airways doesn't have any.

Farhan Ali. Newport Beach, California

FedEx

RE: Merger Rumors (Alaska Airlines)

Mon Feb 01, 1999 7:21 am

I also heard that AA was try to talk to
Alaska but Alaska weren't returning the calls.
I hope USAirways doesn't merge with Alaska!
I would like to CO merge with Alaska which is
another rumor!

ERAU

Mon Feb 01, 1999 9:56 am

US Airways would not buy or merge with Alaska,
US Airways has airbus narrow bodies on order and Alaska has 737NGs on order. Although I suppose it would be possible to sell the delivery slots to another carrier since Boeing is so backed up with orders.

US Airways has options for up to 400 Narrow Bodies so they could easily replace the Alaska fleet with new Airbuses.

But I dont think it a fit.

I would like to see US Airways buy AWA

Markus

Mon Feb 01, 1999 2:08 pm

Contrary to popular belief airlines do not merge with other airlines, or buy them merely because the fleet fits. Also the opposite is true. Just because USAirways has Airbus narrowbodies on order and Alaska has Boeing NG's on order doesn't mean that USAirways wouldn't merge with them. This would be redicoulous. The fact is USAirways is losing out on very valuable West coast markets. Sure they have the strongest prescence of any carrier on the East Coast but they are in dire need of expansion. There are only so many slots at these Eastern airports. With 400+ aircraft on order USAirways is positioning themselves for expansion into previously untouched or barely touched Western markets (barely b/c of the PSA buy-out). If you recall Delta and Western came together in the late 80's. Delta flew L1011's / Western DC-10's...Delta DC-9's / Western 737-200 & 300. Also at the time Delta had large orders for new MD-88's where Western was primarily a Boeing costomer with narrowbodies (ie, 737 & 727). This fleet has worked seemlessly. Delta just kept the 737-300's in SLC. They are now finally being worked into the CVG & ATL route structure after 10 yrs.

Watch out it could very well happen...with Continental as well (AWA).

Cheers,
Markus

L-188

Tue Feb 02, 1999 2:28 am

There have been rumors going around for years. Alaska still has a very strong relationship with Northwest. If they are going to merge with anybody it would be those guys. They used to operate a codeshare flight with American Airlines where American would send a 727 to Seatle and then Alaska would crew it up to Anchorage. It has been a while since they have done this. One thing that is important to note to is that in the sixties and seventies there was a lot of pressure put on Alaska to merge with either Wien Air Alaska or Pacific Northern Airways. This was because of the poor management of Alaska. Alaska always insisted that it would be the surviving management and this killed the deals. I see no reason why the company today should be any different.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos