Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

trickijedi
Topic Author

Walkway From UA Terminal To International At SFO?

Tue May 17, 2005 2:52 am

I have connected on many international flights from SFO in the past however my previous flights from ORD to SFO have always pulled in to the international terminal where all I've had to do was literally walk one gate down to catch my transpacific UA flight - UA#137 ORD-SFO to connect to UA#837 SFO-SIN)

But this time I'll be flying SQ. I'll be coming from UA #907 from ORD (which pulls in to the domestic terminal) and need to get to the international terminal. I guess if I had to, I'll take the tram but would rather not. Can I walk from the UA terminal to the International terminal?
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!

FLY777UAL

RE: Walkway From UA Terminal To International At SFO?

Tue May 17, 2005 3:01 am

Yes, but you will need to exit the secured area and then re-enter through the International Terminal.

F L Y 7 7 7 U A L

as739x

Tue May 17, 2005 3:02 am

Yes, very easy walk. Taking AirTrain is more of a hassle. Just exit United's terminal security, turn right and follow the signs to "G" gates. Its will take maybe 5 minutes.
-

Take time to stop right as you enter the walkway up into the Int'l terminal. Its a great sight to see 6 to 7 UA tails lined up, sometime with NZ right in the middle.

ASSFO
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

Gabrielz

RE: Walkway From UA Terminal To International At S

Tue May 17, 2005 3:05 am

Quoting Trickijedi (Thread starter):
Can I walk from the UA terminal to the International terminal?

If your UA domestic flights pulled into the SFO Intl terminal in the past, consider it just plane (!) luck.

The transfer method is as follows:

Until the late afternoon, UA runs a transfer bus airside from the domestic UA terminal (3) to the Intl terminal and the US terminal (1). Follow the signs towards baggage claim. Once you've passed the moving sidewalk that connects the concourse with the main bldg, look to your right: the UA bus connection is there. If you get as far as the security checkpoints, you've gone too far. This bus allows you to transfer without reclearing security.

In the event that you arrive after the bus has stopped running, exit the terminal bldg through security, and turn RIGHT (inside the bldg). Walk about 3 minutes and you will start to see signs for the Intl terminal. Keep walking, go up the escalator, and you will arrive at the Intl terminal. Much faster than taking the AirTrain. Either way, using this method, you must reclear security at the Intl terminal.

aeroweanie

Tue May 17, 2005 5:11 am

Quoting FLY777UAL (Reply 1):
Yes, but you will need to exit the secured area and then re-enter through the International Terminal.

No - I found a quick connector last fall. As you exit the concourse, look to your right. They have a little sign about connecting to the international concourse. There is a UAL guy there who will collect a group. He/she then takes you down some stairs and puts you on a shuttle bus. This drops you off below the international concourse and you take an elevator up. You never have to exit the secure area or go back through security. I don't know if you can go the other direction.

FLY777UAL

Tue May 17, 2005 5:16 am

Quoting AeroWeanie (Reply 4):
No - I found a quick connector last fall. As you exit the concourse, look to your right. They have a little sign about connecting to the international concourse. There is a UAL guy there who will collect a group. He/she then takes you down some stairs and puts you on a shuttle bus. This drops you off below the international concourse and you take an elevator up. You never have to exit the secure area or go back through security. I don't know if you can go the other direction.

...that's the tram. There is no way to walk from United domestic to the International Terminal without having to leave and re-enter security.

F L Y 7 7 7 U A L

trickijedi
Topic Author

Tue May 17, 2005 11:04 am

Thanks guys. Exiting the secured area and then re-entering is no problem. I'm just trying to avoid taking the AirTrain.

I've never walked from the domestic terminal to the international terminal but I have taken the aforementioned bus before. However when I took it, I was under the assumption that the shuttle bus was only for UA passengers such as myself at the time. And everyone else on the bus seemed to have been connecting to international UA flights also. And since I'll be connecting to an SQ flight this time around, I figured I am now ineligible to use the UA bus. No biggie, from the sounds of it, it doesn't seem like it's that far of a walk.
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!

kdeg00

Tue May 17, 2005 11:09 am

Since you are flying SQ, another Star Alliance member, if there was a question you could probably just say that you were on a UA code share with SQ. I can't imagine that it should be an issue in any case as you will be coming in on UA metal.

But for all that, the walk isn't bad and I usually appreciate the stretch of legs in between flights.
AS 75K, DL Gold, BA Silver

Carpethead

Tue May 17, 2005 12:16 pm

Trickijedi,
How come you aren't flying via HKG or NRT to SIN from ORD. It's shorter that way and you don't have to worry about walking through SFO.
Not that walking through SFO is bad, I have used SFO many times and it's a pleasant atmosphere than most US terminals.

UA772IAD

Tue May 17, 2005 12:28 pm

Quoting FLY777UAL (Reply 5):
...that's the tram. There is no way to walk from United domestic to the International Terminal without having to leave and re-enter security.

That's not the tram. The bus service is operated by United Airlines, not by SFO. The tram is the airtram, which goes between the Domestic terminals, International Concourse G-BART, Westfield Road (Cargo center) and Rental Car CTR. (First stop inbound is INTERNATIONAL concourse A). I am almost sure the shuttle runs anytime there is an international UA flight. You NEED to make sure your going out of International G and not International A.

Quoting AeroWeanie (Reply 4):
I don't know if you can go the other direction.

You cannot. San Francisco is a first port of entry into the US and all gov't formalities will be processed there, so have your documents readily available for the customs officials. If you are continuing on your flight or going onto other domestic flights, you will proceed out of the aircraft to the customs hall. Follow the signs marked "connections" and just beyond the customs hall is the re-check in counter. You and your belongings must be cleared through customs at your entry point before continuing on to domestic flights--so make sure you have lots of time to connect (90 minutes minimum)

budyboy

Tue May 17, 2005 12:28 pm

Mate, you have short connection times according to the schedule, which I have just checked. If the Chicago flight departure is late, you will be tight to connect, looks like you have about an hour. But, as you likely know, you will be going through Tokyo on UA, a Singapore codeshare flight. The important thing is what class are you flying?? I just did the ORD-SFO economy (disaster); essentially NO FOOD unless you are into Trans-Fat cellophane wrapped boxes good until 2010. Five Bucks. Flights can be late; Eat before you go, and take some food along.

When you arrive in SFO, walk out of the secure area, a long walk, turn right and keep going; in five minutes you will be in the International Terminal.

SFO Int'l has a decent food court, (sushi, to Chinese to burgers), you may or may not have time to sample it, depending on your connection time, and depending on the class of flight in which you travel you may not care, but if you didn't eat in Chi-Town, you may be starving.

You will go out and back in security. WALK, don't even think of taking the air tram; if into spotting, you will get some sites mostly of UA, and LH; Air New Zealand lands later than you will come in.

If UA totally Fu*ks it up, which is very possible, and you get in to SFO and miss the NRT connection , blow off Any Thought of eating in the food court, Take BART, which is just another 100 feet past the escalator up to the Int'l Term and go into SF and eat at a luxury of Great Restaurants; i.e. exit Civic and get a burger at the bar at Zuni, then go back to SFO and hopefully they put you on the real Singapore Airlines.........which leaves that night, 747-400.

jacobin777

Tue May 17, 2005 1:16 pm

Quoting Trickijedi (Reply 6):
I'm just trying to avoid taking the AirTrain.

I don't understand why people do not like the AirTrain  confused  ..its not that bad, and there is one coming every few minutes...I take it all the time @ SFO...
"Up the Irons!"

burnsie28

Tue May 17, 2005 1:43 pm

Ok so im confused, Im flying DEN-SAN via SFO in July, DEN-SFO is operated with a 744, which I assume will go into the international terminal as it supposidly continues to Sydney. So I will have to exit security to get to my SFO-SAN flight?

budyboy

Tue May 17, 2005 1:56 pm

DEN-SFO will not be 744, SFO-SYD will be.

burnsie28

Tue May 17, 2005 2:43 pm

DEN-SFO is a 744 Budyboy, take a look at the schedule DEN-SFO on July 20th. Im seated in 53A  Wink Only the 744 has a 53A,
Leg 1 - United 595 JULY 20
Departure Denver, CO (DEN)
Departure Time 17:35
Arrival San Francisco, CA (SFO)
Arrival Time 18:58
Aircraft Type 744
Meal No Meals Served
Distance 966mi / 1545km
Duration 2h23m
Operated By United

Wink  Smile

sfo212

Tue May 17, 2005 11:27 pm

Eventual plans at SFO are to build a connector from Terminal 3 (UAL) to International G so that the bus operation won't be needed and that connections from UAL to International flight won't have to exit security and re-enter. But I don't know how long that will be from now.

aeroweanie

Wed May 18, 2005 1:18 am

Quoting Budyboy (Reply 10):
When you arrive in SFO, walk out of the secure area, a long walk, turn right and keep going; in five minutes you will be in the International Terminal.

I did that once and nearly had a heart attack when I saw the length of the lines going into the international terminal. You are much better off taking the shuttle bus I reported.

Quoting UA772IAD (Reply 9):
You cannot. San Francisco is a first port of entry into the US and all gov't formalities will be processed there, so have your documents readily available for the customs officials. I

Doh! I should have remembered - you're right.

FLY777UAL

Wed May 18, 2005 2:05 am

Quoting UA772IAD (Reply 9):
That's not the tram. The bus service is operated by United Airlines, not by SFO. The tram is the airtram, which goes between the Domestic terminals, International Concourse G-BART, Westfield Road (Cargo center) and Rental Car CTR. (First stop inbound is INTERNATIONAL concourse A). I am almost sure the shuttle runs anytime there is an international UA flight. You NEED to make sure your going out of International G and not International A.

You say tomato, I say tomato. I have always been under the impression that tram is synonomous with bus. I'm quite aware that it's not the AirTrain (not AirTram), as taking that would be a massive waste of time.

F L Y 7 7 7 U A L

trickijedi
Topic Author

Wed May 18, 2005 1:37 pm

Carpethead,
I have normally taken direct transpac flights from ORD (to NRT or HKG) in the past as it is my first preference however the flights I wanted didn't have them available in J class or were extremely unaffordable for the dates I wanted. That's ok, I don't mind the change of planes... as kdeg00 mentioned I don't mind stretching my legs by walking around a bit.

AeroWeanie,
I just thought of something... my UA flight gets in at around 10:30PM (UA #907) so I doubt that the bus will be running that late.

Budyboy,
Actually the flight I'm taking out of SFO is SQ #1 SFO-HKG departing at 1:25AM. And since my UA ORD-SFO flight arrives SFO at 10:30PM, that should leave me enough time to walk over and have a cigarette or four outside before boarding. Yes sometimes those ORD-SFO flights can be a disaster especially in the winter. I've connected through SFO on international flights before and I always get nervous with a 1.5 hour connection time or less. I've taken the UA SFO-NRT flight you mentioned in your post which has a very short connection time but thankfully the domestic flight from ORD pulls in to the SFO international terminal right beside the NRT-bound UA flight.

aeroweanie

Wed May 18, 2005 11:46 pm

Quoting Trickijedi (Reply 18):
I just thought of something... my UA flight gets in at around 10:30PM (UA #907) so I doubt that the bus will be running that late.

Good point - I think the risk is high that it won't be operating. On the other hand, the lines at the international terminal might not be as long either. It still can't hurt to look for the bus as you exit the domestic concourse.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos