DanG
Topic Author

Continental at LAX

Tue Feb 02, 1999 3:13 am

I thought I would ask this question again to see if I could stir up some more answers....Didn't Continental used to be based at LAX? Why did they move, and what were their routes? Was that really their hub like Delta's Atlanta,

Cody

RE: Continental at LAX

Tue Feb 02, 1999 3:49 am

Yes they had headquarters at LAX and a large maintenance facility. Looking at old schedules from the early 80's they flew nonstop LAX to Ontario, San Francisco, Honolulu, San Antonio, El Paso, Houston, Denver, San Jose, CA, Washington Dulles, Newark, New Orleans, Fiji, and I believe Seattle and Chicago at one time. They still fly nonstop to San Antonio although I can't understand why. Here is a new tid-bit of info. Continental West was a susidiary of Continental that was based in San Jose and flew 737-300's to LAX and Seattle using 737-300's. I think they had three. Anyone else know anything about this?

FedEx

RE: Continental West

Tue Feb 02, 1999 3:57 am

Could there be another Continental
West? Sounds like they had the original
west coast shuttle with the 737 300's.
AW and CO are still talking from what
I have heard. Also CO is going to
fly into SJC this spring and already
have started service to Reno.

Work Hard Fly Right!

Gordon

RE: Continental at LAX

Tue Feb 02, 1999 4:06 am

CO moved it's headquarters from LAX to Houston in 1983, when the company was purchased by Houson's Texas International Airlines. Previous to LAX, the company was based in Denver from the 1930's through the 1960's.

Cody

Tue Feb 02, 1999 10:05 am

From what I understand the Continental West service was excellent. They served lobster tail in coach and had wine tastings. Paint was just like Continental's in the mid 80's but had "west" written in script.

FedEx

Tue Feb 02, 1999 2:48 pm

I'm hungery! That sounds good! Cody
do you think CO should expand west?
I do.

Cody

RE: FedEx

Tue Feb 02, 1999 11:41 pm

Hi FedEx. I don't know. If I were Continental I might just sit back and watch all the other companies expanding out west compete themselves into red ink. I don't understand the big frenzy of expanding in the west. It's not like they are gaining international routes that must be awarded to them. Anyone can fly there, so I think if I were Continental I would continue at least in the short term to strengthen their established hubs. They can't lose out on something they never had. (except an opportunity cost)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos