Topic Author

My Letter To Mr Tilton UAL

Tue May 31, 2005 12:25 pm

United Airlines
C/O Mr. Glenn Tilton CEO
P.O. Box 60666
Chicago IL, 60666

Dear Mr. Tilton.

As an employee of UAL I have been affected by the many decisions regarding the companies’ viability as well as my many co-workers. Recently you dispatched Ms Judy Bishop and Mr. Tony Bedlove to my station (SEARR) to inform us that UAL will be closing our facility as a result of high monthly cost and the need to cut cost so that UAL can emerge from a 2 ½ year bankruptcy.

Recently in Skynet under your daily Newsreel it was announced that our valued customers in the Mileage Plus program will also have to bare some burden to help UAL exit bankruptcy as Award travel is being cut back as well which has created one of the biggest headaches for reservations trying fit the customer in to less capacity.

I understand that everyone in the UAL Family(customers and employees) have been affected and I am aware that even those inside the executive group have taken pay cuts however management still collected significant bonus checks . It seems that all decisions including closing SEARR and reducing capacity in regards to MP have had one theme included, that being high fuel cost.

My drive within this letter is to ask you at what point do you stop asking those who are and have made UAL the company it is to make sacrifices. When if it high fuel prices are truly driving these decisions do you inform the oil companies that UAL will no longer stand for their constant increases, after all the oil companies are still profiting to the tune of BILLIONS annually. I believe that if not only UAL but other carriers would stand collectively against higher fuel prices the oil companies would have to cave into pressure. Perhaps a nationwide shutdown of all carriers is needed for one day to make the point.

My final question is how much you support your employees, when do you ask other groups/vendors outside UAL to sacrifice to make the operational cost less? Are fuel prices really the issue are they the leverage.
Did You Ever Think Freedom Could Be this Bad

jmc1975

RE: My Letter To Mr Tilton UAL

Tue May 31, 2005 12:39 pm

Did you get a chance to finish the letter?

rsmith6621a
Topic Author

Tue May 31, 2005 1:41 pm

Quoting Jmc1975 (Reply 1):
Did you get a chance to finish the letter?

That is it in its entirety.

DfwRevolution

Tue May 31, 2005 1:48 pm

Quoting Rsmith6621a (Thread starter):
I believe that if not only UAL but other carriers would stand collectively against higher fuel prices the oil companies would have to cave into pressure.

Oil is priced on supply versus demand. A one day boycot will do nothing but increase demand the next day. There is nothing you can do to protest oil that wouldn't kill yourself in the process.

Quoting Rsmith6621a (Thread starter):
Perhaps a nationwide shutdown of all carriers is needed for one day to make the point.

Why would anyone shoot themselves in the foot so dilberatly?

Quoting Rsmith6621a (Reply 2):
That is it in its entirety.

I have to say that several parts make little sense. Like this... don't get it-

Are fuel prices really the issue are they the leverage.

You have to understand that UA is doing just about everything humanly possible to rectify your current prediciment. When you're in the trenches it might not be obvious, but there is no magic bullet that will get UA out. There just isn't. As frustrating as it is to not be in control, there is just too much outside of UA's athority to reverse this situation in any timely matter.
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

SonOfACaptain

Tue May 31, 2005 1:59 pm

I think I am going to have to agree with DfwRevolution. All that UA is trying to do is survive. I know that will bring hardships to you, but that is something you are going to have to do. Trust me, it isn't easy for you or your family, but it is a sacrifice that needs to be made for the whole of the airline.

-SOAC
Non Illegitimi Carborundum

rsmith6621a
Topic Author

Tue May 31, 2005 2:11 pm

Quoting SonOfACaptain (Reply 4):
Trust me, it isn't easy for you or your family, but it is a sacrifice that needs to be made for the whole of the airline.

Call it what it is......A permanant SACRIFICE

SonOfACaptain

Tue May 31, 2005 2:16 pm

Call it what it is......A permanant SACRIFICE

You don't need to preach to me about it being a permanant sacrifice. I realize it, but the industry has changed, and the employees need to change with it.

-SOAC
Non Illegitimi Carborundum

StevenUhl777

Tue May 31, 2005 2:19 pm

Rsmith:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you say on this board that you were able to get a new job that starts June 5th, after your last day at United on Wednesday? If so, and presuming you're receiving some sort of a severance package from UA as well as paid out for whatever vacation, you're not really out any money at all, are you? Plus, whatever vested amount in your 401k that you have at United is still intact, so you're not losing that, either.

I'm sorry that you're losing your job with UA...and I certainly don't doubt for a second that you did a great job and served customers well during your time with United....and United is grateful to you for that, whether you believe it or not. For the last 2 1/2 years no one (management or the unions) ever said that the time in Ch. 11 would be easy and smooth. What WAS said all along is that painful decisions will have to be made, and sadly the SEARR center was one of those painful decisions. I wish it didn't have to happen that way, but it did. In the long run it may help UA survive, it may not. No one can answer that right now.
And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

OHLHD

Tue May 31, 2005 2:25 pm

Do you think he read it?