thestooges
Topic Author

Icelandair Question

Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:45 am

With Icelandair now operating a KEF-SFO service their fleet will consist of about 12 757 aircraft and now 1 767.

That's a pretty big fleet for a country of only 300,000 people.

Obviously the only way to get anywhere from Iceland is by air so air transport will be extremely important and well used by the population.

But my question is where to most of Icelandairs pax come from, are they locals, transferring pax or tourist coming to visit the country?

Do they do a good business as a trans-atlantic operator and is their size a result of this or other factors?
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition !!

B742

RE: Icelandair Question

Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:56 am

Icelandair offers some pretty good deals on transatlantic flights from Europe!

I once flew LHR-KEF-JFK on the 757 and Icelandair was very good and cheap compared to other airlines such as AA and BA. Although cheaper options are now available with AI and KU!

So I guess some PAX will come from Europe (excluding Iceland  Wink)transferring to KEF and the US! Also Iceland attracts many tourists every year!

Does Icelandair ever use the 757/767 on domestic routes?

Rob!

legacy135

Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:56 am

I hope one of your friends from Iceland will eventually pop up and can explain in brief. I only can give some brief information:
Iceland basically came from the naval in the aviation business. There is no country with more pilots in relation to population than Iceland. As far as I know, Loftleidir used to be on of the pioneers in low cost trasnatlantic flights, decades ago, flying Europeans out of Luxembourg via Iceland to the US.
Nowerdays they do have a very nicely connecting network trough Keflavik Airport. It is an airport small enough to be nice and cozy, big enough to provide all facilities you expect from any world class airport. The ways there are short and connection is simple. They serve a couple of destinations in the northern half of Europe and have a special focus on Scandinavia. This is where they basically load the passengers, flying trough KEF to the States.

Orion737

Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:04 am

Im suprised FI got rid of their 737-400s so soon. I would have thought a smaller capacity aircraft than the 757 would have perhaps been better suited to less busy routes and for establishing new routes to European destinations for which the capacity of the 757 may be too large.

Matt27

Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:14 am

Quoting B742 (Reply 1):
Does Icelandair ever use the 757/767 on domestic routes?

The domestic routes are operated by AirIceland, and they also have some routes to Greenland and Faroe Islands.

http://www.airiceland.is/

//Mattias
Man ska inte dricka rödvin i en vit hall.

Orion737

Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:22 am

None operated by the 757 I hasten to add. Primary domestic routes are flown by the F50.

I often wonder if a route from Akureyi, Icelands second city, to Copenhagen would work if operated by a smaller aircraft like a Maersk or Iceland Express 737

B742

Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:24 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 5):
I often wonder if a route from Akureyi, Icelands second city, to Copenhagen would work if operated by a smaller aircraft like a Maersk or Iceland Express 737

Iceland Express operate MD-82's now Big grin

How is Iceland Express compared to Icelandair?

Rob!

AMSSFO

Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:24 am

Prior to the start of their new SFO-KEF service they advertised in the Bay area with "Icelandair, the fastest way to Scandinavia"
They also have the cheapest fares for SFO-AMS during the summer
They further offer the option to stay a couple of days in Iceland with no additional fare.
Cheap fares, fast connections, and the option to stay for a couple of days in Iceland make them interesting for many people from both Europe and the US.

lax44

Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:50 am

You get a lot of students and people willing to connect in KEF for onward destinations in Europe that want to save some money.

You could even arrange a stopover in Iceland if you wanted. For a shorter layover, time permitting, Iceland Air arranged transportation to the Blue Lagoon. A great way to relax.

BOS-KEF was pretty full the times I flew it.

Wish they'd come to LAX.

OzarkD9S

Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:56 am

Icelandair also has some good deals on Iceland stopovers, saunas and sightseeing and whatnot. A beautiful country, and for those with the time...who wouldn't want to spend a few days there?
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

Orion737

Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:02 am

Nice blonde haired, good looking men and women too!

Metropolitan

Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:20 am

Their route map

says all about their business idea - using Reykjavik an efficient hub for transatlantic flights.

northernlights

Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:27 am

Hello everybody...

Here are maybe some answers to your questions...

Around roughly 75-80% of all FI pax are non-Icelandic and consist mainly of transatlantic pax transfering at FI´s KEF hub. Many of them make a few day stopover on either the outbound or inbound journeys. An increasing number of European tourists are discovering Iceland now as a holiday destination. This can be seen in the evolution of tourism locally here in Iceland. The latest example is a so called "hop-on/hop-off" doubledecker tourist bus driving around Reykjavik´s major tourist attractions this summer with audio guidance in 8 languages. Which is operated by Reykjavik Excursions, which in turn is again a subsidiary of the FL Group (the parent holding company of... Icelandair).

An air service between Akureyri in the North and Copenhagen would not be profitable at all. Akureyri is not anymore Iceland´s second largest city, as the towns that border Reykjavik in the agglomeration of this city have expanded considerably in the last few years. Akureyri nowadays seems to be the 4th largest town with about 16.000 inhabitants. The agglomeration of Reykjavik (Reykjavík, Kópavogur, Mossfelsbær, Hafnarfjörður and Gardarbær) now caters for about 180.000 inhabitants of Iceland´s roughly 295.000 inhabitants.
Akureyri has had a direct link to Copenhagen by Air Greenland (as a stop on it´s flights from Greenland to Denmark) from 28 April until 02 December 2003. This service was discontinued as the airline was not making a break-even on this service. Too little seats and cargo space were sold on its 245 seat A330-200.

Talking about domestic jet service: Air Iceland operates a fleet of F50´s on its domestic and Greenland services from the airport of Reykjavik (RKV) which is in the city itself. Occasionally in holiday periods a B757-200 from its sister company within the FL group, Icelandair, is used for domestic service Keflavík-Egilsstaðir and v.v.

Hope this info helped you a bit out!

Greetings from the far North, where we enjoy 24 hours of daylight again  bouncy 

B742

Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:29 am

Quoting Northernlights (Reply 12):
Greetings from the far North, where we enjoy 24 hours of daylight again

I'm going to Iceland in July, how many hours of daylight do you guys get then? Big grin

How is KEF?

Rob!

northernlights

Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:51 am

Quote:
Quoting B742: I'm going to Iceland in July, how many hours of daylight do you guys get then?!

Up till around the 20th of July the nights do not get completely dark yet, but from the 31st of July it gets bright around 03.00 and dark at midnight... Just as an illustration on how fast this changes!

If you want more information on Keflavik airport, visit their site: www.keflavikairport.com

Quote:
Quoting Orion737: Nice blonde haired, good looking men and women too!

Well apparently you have never been to Iceland! You are right about the good looking men and women, but I have to burst your blond fantasy bubble... Icelanders are predominantly darker haired (some are even red haired descendants from Irish slaves in Viking times). Much of the blond you would see, eg. Icelandair FA´s, is blond out of a bottle!!! Yes, we also have l´Oréal in Iceland!!! LOL  rotfl 

justinpower

Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:26 pm

Ref Copenhagen-Akureyri services on Air Greenland, I had thought that this was a utilization exercise for AG's B757, operated twice a week CPH-AEY and vv, and not as a stopover on any Denmark-Greenland route, but maybe I was misinformed. Whatever the exact m.o., it failed to make anybody any money. This year I gather weekly charters are in place for 2005 on Egilssta?ir-Copenhagen using a Lithuanian YAK42 - sounds pretty exciting to me...

f86sabre

Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:45 pm

My family and I had the pleasure of visiting Iceland last month. We booked an airfare / hotel package via Iceland air. We had an amazing time. We were lucky in that we had nice weather the entire time. As LAX44 stated, the Blue lagoon was a good time, but I really had more fun visiting the public pools in Reykjavik.

We flew out of MSP and had nice flights each way. The movies were ok, if unmemorable, the flight staff was very friendly and we had an amazing view of the ice flows off of Greenland on the way home. The food could use some work, but it wasn’t any worse than what most airlines are serving. Only half the F/As were blond.

Best wishes,
F86sabre

quig

Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:59 am

What are the chances of them flying year round to JFK Again ?

northernlights

Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:48 am

Quote:
Quig: What are the chances of them flying year round to JFK Again ?

Well... This coming winter FI keeps on flying to JFK again! Very happy with that, at least we can do our Christmas shopping in the Big Apple again  santahat 

Instead of this, the service to MSP will be cancelled for a short time during winterschedule 2005-2006: no service KEF-MSP-KEF between 12jan-11mar 2006.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos