ERAU
Topic Author

Waypoints - Hubs of the future

Tue Feb 02, 1999 9:30 am

A Waypoint is a large airport designed for the sole purpose of connecting passengers. Unlike present day hubs, waypoints are not necessarily built where there is a large population.

A Waypoint could serve as a hub for more than one Airline because it would only be used to connect passengers and airlines would not have to compete for origin and destination traffic.

The risk is very great though since its really just a theory, no waypoint has actually been built yet.

A good possition for a waypoint would be smack dab in the middle of the U.S. where airlines could connect passengers and relieve congestion at hubs like Chicago and Dallas.

what are your opinions or comments on this topic?

There would be little if any need for ticket counters parking garages, road access to the airport, It would just be lots of runways and large connecting terminals.

Hotels would be a must though, what would happen if flights were delayed because of whether.

One thing I think would be a possibility at a way point is to fly passengers to the waypoint late at night put them up in hotel rooms and then fly them out very early in the morning. That way during the night you could have all your aircraft at the airport for deep cleaning and manteniece. And business travelers could get a good nights rest, they would not have to rush to the airport in the morning since they would already be there and they could fly to their destination city very early in the morning to get as much business done as possible.

Also land and noise restrictions would not be a factor at a Waypoint since it would be in a very loosely populated area.

You would only need roads the airport so fuel, supplies could be delievered etc.

The possibilities are awsome for a way point.

flyf15

RE: Waypoints - Hubs of the future

Tue Feb 02, 1999 1:19 pm

I have thought about the same idea many times. One thing... I think that they would need a small town (just for maintance, workers, employees, support, etc). I also think that they would need just a small terminal to accomidate all of all of us that would go there to see such and awesome thing :-). I think that Salina, Hays, or Colby, KS would be the perfect place for such a thing.

BryanG

Superhub 2025

Tue Feb 02, 1999 2:22 pm

I have an old OAG Frequent Flyer magazine, from about 1987 I think, that has a big article on that concept. It talked about what superhubs would be like in the year 2025, and it described that same concept. Unfortunately, it looks like we are no closer to that concept than we were 12 years ago. The superhubs would do a lot to relieve stress on urban airports, but their main disadvantaage would be that the number of nonstop flights from city to city would be reduced a lot. Travel would take much longer.

RE: Superhub 2025

Tue Feb 02, 1999 4:38 pm

it's a nice idea... maybe in the USA, but I don't it could be done in Europe (no place to do that). For the workers on this "super hub", life will be hawfull (only a small town, landscape awfull, and so on)

Wed Feb 03, 1999 1:51 am

The idea is a great one; however, history has taught the airlines a lesson. ATL was originally mainly a waypoint. I may have the stats off slightly but when the new terminals were built in 1978 the O&D traffic at ATL accounted for only about 30% of the total passenger count. Today that figure is more like 70%.

The lesson is two fold. One “If you build it they will come” ATL became a major convention center because of the great air connections. Also a lot of businesses located to the ATL area because of the great connections offered. Lesson two was learned after deregulation O&D traffic is more profitable than connecting traffic. Thus I don’t believe any Hubs will be built in cities without sufficient population to support a majority of O&D traffic. Look at STL, the lower level of O&D traffic is just one of TWA’s problems.

TAD

flyf15

Wed Feb 03, 1999 7:20 am

I was just thinking, if these were ever built, can you imagine the amount (and aircraft size) of flights between waypoints? It would be huge!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos