Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

premobrimo
Topic Author

United Employee Travel Benefits

Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:46 am

I'll be a temp. Ramp Agent at United for the summer and I recieved the sheet about the basics of travel benefits but can someone tell me what exactly it all includes? Thanks
Now You're Flying Smart.

727stretch

RE: United Employee Travel Benefits

Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:50 am

UA recently announced that temps are eligible for the same space-available benefits on UA as regular active employees. In other words, you no longer need to buy an ID-90 to fly on UA. You will have your travel pass charges deducted from your pay check. I believe you can take one additional trip up to 90 days after your temp job is over. If you ask your supervisor, he or she can print out the details for you.

Shamrock_747

Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:54 am

I suggest you contact UA's staff travel dept or consult their intranet for some accurate information.

UAL Bagsmasher

Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:57 am

Good luck trying to get anywhere nowadays.

RDUDDJI

Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:38 am

Quoting UAL Bagsmasher (Reply 3):

Amen to that. UAL posted a record load factor last month...and the summer looks like more of the same.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

rsmith6621a

Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:41 am

Quoting UAL Bagsmasher (Reply 3):

Lower capacity has made traveling SA HELL!!!! Just another way the UAL Execs are making the employee pay for their bad decesssions.

Latley I have had to ID-90/95 to use them......
Did You Ever Think Freedom Could Be this Bad

FLY777UAL

Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:50 am

Quoting Rsmith6621a (Reply 5):
Lower capacity has made traveling SA HELL!!!! Just another way the UAL Execs are making the employee pay for their bad decesssions.

You're right. Let's see here...having to standby for two flights to SFO, or, oh! wait! Not having any United flights to standby for.

F L Y 7 7 7 U A L

Bicoastal

Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:11 pm

I've seen the ads trying to get college students to take summer jobs at United. The lure of free travel is a bit disingenuous. As others have said, United flights are packed due to lower capacity. Your seniority/priority is extremely low so if other United employees and retirees are traveling (always the case to popular destinations), then you won't get on the flights. You won't be able to get more than two days off (my neighbor says United Dulles is not allowing anymore unpaid leave because they are so short of employees to do the work), and being stuck on pleasure travel is not an allowable excuse for not showing up to work.

Bottomline, get the "glamorous" airline employee trip to Europe out of your head. You'll be luck to get on an Express flight to Newark.
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

UAL Bagsmasher

Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:49 pm

What ticks me off is that the flights will many times have only 2 or 3 SA's up until 1 hour before the flight. Then all the high time employees decide to list themselves at the very last minute thereby screwing everyone else. Not to mention that each of them is traveling with their wife and seven kids...

uadc8contrail

Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:15 am

cry me a river bag smasher.....those last minute high time employees were rolled over to the next flight because they could not get out on a earlier flight..which they had been at the airport a lot longer than you
Bus Driver

FLY777UAL

Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:51 am

Smasher--

You don't think that they haven't had the same done to them in the past? Please...I'll bet you've never had the pleasure of waiting through 12 flights just to get home after coming off of a 16-hour HKG flight.

F L Y 7 7 7 U A L

luv2fly

Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:13 am

Quoting FLY777UAL (Reply 10):
Smasher--

You don't think that they haven't had the same done to them in the past? Please...I'll bet you've never had the pleasure of waiting through 12 flights just to get home after coming off of a 16-hour HKG flight.

F L Y 7 7 7 U A L

Here is an idea, live in the city you are based out of, problem solved!
You can cut the irony with a knife

uadc8contrail

Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:26 am

heres a idea that would really go over well at ual....copy the same policy that nwa has....mgmt regardless of senority goes before non mgmt....2 yrs as a analyst in eagan could/has more than once probably bumped a 30 yr plus non mgmt person...you think the pension issue was big....this would send them rioting in the streets of elk grove.... Smile
Bus Driver

FLY777UAL

Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:34 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 11):
Here is an idea, live in the city you are based out of, problem solved!

Kinda hard when it's a leisure trip. I'm not bitching by any means--I would much rather wait for flights than not be able to travel like this at all. Just merely trying to get it across that we've all been there before...

F L Y 7 7 7 U A L

planespotting

Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:45 am

heres an idea:

quit bitching about the problems involved in your free travel benefits. Holy shit, i understand standby travel on airlines is not the easiest thing to do, but if you're airline is doing it's best to stay in business (thereby letting you keep your job hopefully) and reducing capacity and saving money overall then accept it and quit complaining about the lack of free seats for you to get on. When i was in my brief stint as an airline employee i did all the tricks: travel on off days, be at the airport early, have multiple routes planned, and basically go to the airport planning not to get on your airplane...it always works out better that way.

And if you absolutely have to be somewhere, pay for it like the rest of us. Standby airline travel is not guaranteed (obviously it would be nice if you could by a guaranteed seat on your airline for a large discount...but unfortunately no one does that).

Deal with it. Think of all the money people normally pay for to fly places when you can basically whenever it's convenient for you get on an airplane and fly to many destinations for free (albeit it's probable there will be a few inconveniences along the way)
Do you like movies about gladiators?

apodino

Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:31 am

Thank god I can ride in the Jumpseat if all else fails.

One other point. I know at Air Wisconsin we have no fees for travel anywhere on the United Express system. So if your flight is an express flight, you won't be charged, unless your coming from Canada, where Customs slaps a fee on for preclearing.

premobrimo
Topic Author

Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:55 am

I took the job not even realizing I was even going to recieve any type of travel benefits. So, I'm happy I at least have the option.
Now You're Flying Smart.

UALGSO

Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:20 am

With RJ's becoming more and more prevalent it's making it hard to get anywhere on BP-8 travel. All I can say is thank god for Delta and Airtran's low fares close to GSO so I can get to Florida. The last time I used my NRSA passes was for a day trip to AMS in early 2004. Very nice benefits for International travel and Welcome to UA.

UAL Bagsmasher

Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:29 am

Apodino, I'm pretty sure we (MX) can jumpseat too as long as it's cleared through MX control and the flightcrew. At least that's what a lot of guys tell me who've done it in a pinch.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos