Lindy

RE: Baggage Handler Killed At DCA This Am

Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:12 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 50):

Its me in the rain coat, with wands in my hands. I salute to rampers that work in Northern United States (and Colorado). Winter on the ramp can be very challenging.

Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

HPRamper

Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:39 am

I'm trying to figure out why the aircraft in the photos isn't an EMB170.
Did they move her from the smaller plane to an underwing spot so it would be more undercover?

Silver1SWA

Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:37 am

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 7):
I'm also a little confused....if someone was driving the belt loader how can you not see a person. They should've been driving at a walking speed. Truly sad for this event never had to happen if people were more careful.

Obviously if she got pinned, she was not the driver. I have almost been pinned by a beltoader myself. The belt was pulled up, but not yet raised and I went to grab a stroller from the bin. Well the dummy who parked the beltloader decided to raise the belt even though I was standing right next to it reaching in the bin. I was almost wedged in the lower bottom corner of the bin. It would'nt have been as bad as this story, but yeah you have to trust that your coworkers know what they are doing. I can totally understand how something like this can occur.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

fraspotter

Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:24 am

Quoting September11 (Reply 5):
... ruined the day for DCA people

A lady got killed... I think the people can manage a canceled flight...
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

OPNLguy

Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:40 am

>>>Obviously if she got pinned, she was not the driver.

FYI, your reply (#53) was a reply to #7, which was a "me-too" to reply #3 (in which the poster was commenting upon the linked article in the thread's original post.

Post #48 said: Unfortunately, a tragic accident happened yesterday at DCA where a US Airways ramp service employee was killed. She was driving a belt loader up to an Embraer aircraft when, for reasons not yet known, the belt loader went under the aircraft, pinning her between the belt loader and aircraft, killing her instantly. That was posted some days after the accident, and undoubtedly has more accurate information the initital public news report from days earlier.

We don't have alot of Wachovia Banks here in the Dallas area, but fortunately, one of the few that is here is right up the street...  Wink

A sad event...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Silver1SWA

Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:03 pm

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 55):
>>>Obviously if she got pinned, she was not the driver.

FYI, your reply (#53) was a reply to #7, which was a "me-too" to reply #3 (in which the poster was commenting upon the linked article in the thread's original post.

Post #48 said: Unfortunately, a tragic accident happened yesterday at DCA where a US Airways ramp service employee was killed. She was driving a belt loader up to an Embraer aircraft when, for reasons not yet known, the belt loader went under the aircraft, pinning her between the belt loader and aircraft, killing her instantly. That was posted some days after the accident, and undoubtedly has more accurate information the initital public news report from days earlier.

We don't have alot of Wachovia Banks here in the Dallas area, but fortunately, one of the few that is here is right up the street...

A sad event...

Hmmm...well the original news link caught my attention as well when it said she was driving the belt loader. I was going "wtf?" myself. I was on my way out the door for work when I came across this thread and I admit I haven't read the whole thread (I know, I know, a huge a.net NO NO) or followed up on the story. However, shortly after I made the post and headed off to work, a possible scenari...perhaps the only possible scenario entered my head. If she in fact was driving, then yes, the only possible way I could see where she could get pinned is if the belt goes under the aircraft and her driver's seat ends up hitting the plane.

uaord2000

Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:30 pm

Quoting Lindy (Reply 51):
Winter on the ramp can be very challenging.

Try summer in TUS on the ramp. In high school I worked the ramp for DGS (Delta Global Services) and it was torture during the summer. 110 degrees in the shade and who knows how hot it was in the pit!

Back on the subject, this is horrible to hear and can't imagine how the co-workers are handling this....let alone her family. A true tragedy.

I am trying to think of how this could have happened. The only thing I can think of is that she was going too fast while approaching the plane (?) and tried to brake but instead, hit the accelerator and drove right under the plane. I'm picturing the EMB 170, and the bottom the of fuselage is about level with one's head and maybe even the upper chest. I think she was in the driver's seat and was simply crushed.

To all rampers: No matter how close to departure time it is.....Go SLOW!!!

-J ( UA stewardess, former ramper)

uaord2000

Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:39 pm

This reminds me.....A few months ago (or more recent), a United ground worker was killed in Denver on the ramp. I never got any details on what happened. Does anyone have some info on this incident?

-J

nwaca

Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:49 am

I heard that she was positioning a belt loader--had to back up and reposition it--and went to put the loader in reverse (only had it in drive), turned her head to look behind her (as anyone would getting ready to go backwards) and applied gas and didn't have a chance because of the closeness of the aircraft.

Beefmoney

Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:57 am

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 52):
I'm trying to figure out why the aircraft in the photos isn't an EMB170.

That is indeed an EMB-170 in the photos.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos