Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

EA CO AS
Topic Author

Rumor - AS May Call Back SEA Rampers?

Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:00 am

A new rumor circulating has Alaska Airlines considering recalling over 400 locked-out rampers at their SEA hub, whose jobs had been outsourced to Menzies Aviation Services about a month ago.

After one month of positively ABYSMAL performance - including whole cartloads of bags being sent to the wrong destination, shipments of perishable items spoiling, several pets dying and supposedly even a whole pallet of baby chicks being killed - apparently AS may be rethinking their decision.

The source I've heard this rumor from tends to exaggerate, so I'm taking this with a grain of salt the size of a Rubik's Cube - but occasionally he's accurate. Has anyone else heard anything regarding this rumor?

[Edited 2005-06-08 19:17:52]
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

CALMSP

RE: Rumor - AS May Call Back SEA Rampers

Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:07 am

i have a doubt that all this has happened................are these rampers off the street or have they already been working for menzies?

cle757

RE: Rumor - AS May Call Back SEA Rampers?

Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:14 am

I dont doubt it happend, like the saying goes you get what you pay for.
Cleveland the best location in the Nation

aeroman62

Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:01 am

I was in SEA on AS the first weekend of the outsourced crew, they had three rampers loading a 739's luggage, we took a delay of 60 minutes because of the amount of time it took to load the bags. When we landed in Oakland, there were more than twice as many rampers from the local provider, a division of Delta, to off load the bags.

I think AS wanted to make a statement to other union employees about their serious intent in negotiating concessions, and what the alternative would be, however oursourcing a function such as this at a key hub is a real dice roll, kind of penny wise, pound foolish.

vxg

Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:52 am

My wife arrived on a severely delayed AS flight from LAX to SEA last night. I was really impressed at the speed at which the bags started showing up on the carousel. The first bags showed up 7 minutes after I picked her up outside security.

It was pretty late at night and there weren't that many arrivals so I guess that skews things a bit. But I do remember dreading checking bags on late night arrivals in SEA because the bags would take a really long time to show up. Based on one sample (yesterday) that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

VxG

LN-MOW

Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:54 am

Quote:
I was in SEA on AS the first weekend of the outsourced crew, they had three rampers loading a 739's luggage, we took a delay of 60 minutes because of the amount of time it took to load the bags.

Were we on the same flight??

I doubt that this will happen. Too much pride at stake. What I've seen of AS' management, does not give me any reason to beleive that they will reverse their decision.
I understand Menzies' biggest problem is lack of staff, and I'm sure this will correct itself over time. It takes time to get employees badged to work in the secure areas, so there is a certain delay in the system.
- I am LN-MOW, and I approve this message.

Tango-Bravo

Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:41 am

Quoting CALMSP (Reply 1):
i have a doubt that all this has happened................

Doubt all you like... While we're at it, let's also doubt that the Red Sox came back from being down 3 games to none to win the ALCS last October, and that New England won their third Super Bowl in four years.

...after all, these facts may conflict with our agenda (of those who hoped to see the Yankees and Eagles win) just as the facts of the Menzies fiasco in SEA do not fit with your pipedream agenda that airline employees should earn minimum wage and customer service will in no way decline when your dream comes true. And when reality interupts your pipedream, let's simply deny the facts -- which is exactly what EA CO AS has presented in the starter thread of this topic.

ASFlyer

Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:07 am

Quoting CALMSP (Reply 1):
i have a doubt that all this has happened................are these rampers off the street or have they already been working for menzies?

I know for a FACT that at least one pet died due to the actions of an incompetent Menzies employee. This person put a dog in the same hold as a cat. Not a problem usually except that the dog came with special instructions that he was VERY agressive towards other animals and should not be put in the same area as another dog or cat. Of course, the dog managed his way out of his kennel after the plane left, somehow he managed to get to the cat and the cat was in several pieces when the plane arrived at it's destination. Sounds unreal but it happened. - Yet another Menzies fool drove a baggage cart into one of our new 737-800's and put it out of service for over a week to repair the damage they did. - Even yet another Menzies worker had both his legs broken by one of his co-workers driving a baggage cart. It's a three ring circus in SEA these days.

SUPRAZACHAIR

Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:09 am

I think its rediculous that people actually expect such an abrupt work group flip flop to be instantly a smooth operation. These menzies guys had minimal training and airline experience. If you've ever worked the ramp anywhere, think of your first month and that slow learning process before things started really clicking... thats whats going on, but instead of one new hire its 3-400. The first week they were averaging 35-45 ramp delays a day. Now they're down to 5-15 a day, about the same as the former AS crew. Things will be better, heck, they already are. Its just growing pains, thats all. So everyone can relax.

qxq400

Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:24 am

I was in SEA yesterday going to BOI. I observed several turns done by the ramp crews. I saw no problems with there work. I did see huge problems with CSA's having bad attitudes,and taking horendece amounts of time to board the flights. I am talking over and hour to board a md-80. I can on a person in about 2-3 seconds at a time. They were taking over 30 from what I saw.
That is were the problem is in SEA. Add that to the work slow sown that the mechanic's are doing and there is your problem with AS.
Welcome baby Madison Renee

DCrawley

Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:37 am

Killing the baby chicks, I believe that happened. They could easily fly out of a baggage cart in those dumb cardboard boxes that chirp.. lol.. Anyways, I must say that the Menzie's people weren't at their prime yesterday on my trip to PHX.. The flight was already late from BOI with a mechanical so they were suppose to tow a plane from maintenance over. Well, the Menzie's guy tried to put a 73G at our gate and the CSA had to run out and stop him! Instead, we got to fly Tinkerbell from SEA-PHX.

Some interesting notes on that plane: if you ever get a chance to fly it, listen to the boarding music, kinda makes you wanna go to Disneyland! Also, it is the first time that Disney has EVER let anyone reprint Tinkerbell on something that's not affiliated with their brand name. The spray detail on her is amazing! Kudos to the painter!

Hope the AS rampers come back (cause I have many friends there),

-D.K. Crawley
"Weather at our destination is 50 degrees with some broken clouds, but they'll try to have them fixed before we arrive."

Bicoastal

Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:15 am

Short term problems with the change over...that's to be expected. Over time, things will work out and Alaska will save the money they need, have a competent, though not excellent ramp crew and the in house folks will be long forgotten.

Anyone who expected a smooth transition is living on Mars. Things will work out for Alaska in the long run....which is what good managers consider.
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

CALMSP

Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:16 pm

ASFlyer.....all the scenarios that you brought up happen with AS/CO/US/NW everyone, so you can't just blamethat on Menzies employees.

EA CO AS
Topic Author

Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:02 pm

I know for a FACT that at least one pet died due to the actions of an incompetent Menzies employee. This person put a dog in the same hold as a cat. Not a problem usually except that the dog came with special instructions that he was VERY agressive towards other animals and should not be put in the same area as another dog or cat. Of course, the dog managed his way out of his kennel after the plane left, somehow he managed to get to the cat and the cat was in several pieces when the plane arrived at it's destination.

Was this the one where the owner, upon being brought down to take control of his dog, flipped out and BIT HIS OWN DOG ON THE HEAD?

Or was this another one? I know a few animals have met a grisly end at the hands of Menzies this week.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

ASFlyer

Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:14 pm

Quoting CALMSP (Reply 12):
ASFlyer.....all the scenarios that you brought up happen with AS/CO/US/NW everyone, so you can't just blamethat on Menzies employees.

Funny but in all my time, I've never heard of an Alaska employee running over another AS employee, breaking both their arms. I've also never heard of a dog ripping a cat to shreds in a baggage bin while AS employees were doing the job. I can't even remember a time when an AS employee punched a hole in the side of a plane with a bag cart. I know things happen from time to time but not with the frequency they are happening with the Menzies people.

ASFlyer

Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:19 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 13):
Was this the one where the owner, upon being brought down to take control of his dog, flipped out and BIT HIS OWN DOG ON THE HEAD?

Or was this another one? I know a few animals have met a grisly end at the hands of Menzies this week.

I don't know of any other animal deaths under Menzies watch. I'm not doubting it, I'm just saying I've only verified this one with management. Any death of an animal on board our aircraft is sad. I'm sure we'll be paying money out the ass to the owners of these animals.

EA CO AS
Topic Author

Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:39 pm

I'm just saying I've only verified this one with management.

I've seen the PNR - and turns out this was the second time this guy's dog killed a cat in the hold. It got one earlier, on the way down from CDV to DEN just after Menzies took over in SEA.

SUPRAZACHAIR

Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:28 am

Quoting ASFlyer (Reply 14):
I can't even remember a time when an AS employee punched a hole in the side of a plane with a bag cart.

If you think AS employees never had an aircraft strike, you've been living with blinders on.

Quoting ASFlyer (Reply 14):
I know things happen from time to time but not with the frequency they are happening with the Menzies people.

The reasons are two fold. 1- You essentially have 3-400 new hires doing what new hires do, mess up. 2- The media and anyone with the hope that Menzies drives AS into the ground have their magnifying glass pointed on the operation. The Seattle Times took space to write about a towbar breaking and puncturing a tire. Towbars break, it happens. How often have you read about a towbar breaking in your newspaper?

Like I said, things are ALREADY better than the first couple weeks. Everyone can relax.

L-188

Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:29 pm

Quoting ASFlyer (Reply 7):
It's a three ring circus in SEA these days.

Hey I am trying to learn my new job dispatching catering trucks, and all of the AS flights being delayed out of SEA isn't helping the situation.

From my own experience working for a support company for AS in ANC. I tend to believe these stories.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos