Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JeffB
Topic Author

Why AirTran/indy @ SFO Int'l Pier?

Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:08 am

Just flew into SFO the other day on Independence Air and noticed that Indy's gate is in the International terminal. Whats going on with that? I mean, a terminal is a terminal.. but to be in a 319 parked between a Cathay Pacific and China Airlines 747-400 can be a bit daunting. I noticed that Air Tran was on the schedule to be on the Intl pier later in the day. whats going on there? Why are some of the discount airlines using the Intl pier? Is this temporary or do they get cheaper rates on the Intl. pier?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

-jeff

[Edited 2005-06-27 02:08:58]

sllevin

RE: Why AirTran/indy @ SFO Int'l Pier?

Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:15 am

Question: How do they handle domestic arrivals at that terminal? Do they have you disembark up on the 'top level' where the departing passengers are?

Steve

sjsu2sjcAA777

Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:23 am

There is no room for them anywhere else. The old international terminal is being refurbished and they are planning on getting rid of part of terminal 1, the pier which Midwest and us airways operate out of. Basically the Gates in terminal A are not being used so why not have airtran and Indy utilize them. Also the international terminal is a great way to enter the city its purely amazing.

vxg

Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:40 am

To answer Steve's question -

Recently I flew on an Alaska Airlines flight from SEA to SFO that was continuing on to somewhere in Mexico - so I guess it used one of the A Gates. From what I could tell the boarding bridges/corridors are configured such that you arrive at the "top level" so to speak - basically the same area you'd use for an international departure.

thx
VxG

FLY777UAL

Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:51 am

Quoting Sllevin (Reply 1):
How do they handle domestic arrivals at that terminal? Do they have you disembark up on the 'top level' where the departing passengers are?

Instead of keeping the doors from the boarding areas closed and funneling passengers through to the central C&I tunnel, they keep the doors to the C&I tunnel closed and open the doors to the boarding areas. Passengers are then released into the terminal, exit through the "normal" exit, and proceed through the ticket lobby and down the escalator to baggage claim.

Baggage claim is a small section of the actual international baggage claim, but they have built walls and secure doors so it can serve the dual domestic/international role. It is exactly the same concept as baggage claim in JFK's T7 for domestic passengers.

F L Y 7 7 7 U A L

malaysia

Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:17 am

I use to see some AS jets at the Intl Terminal in SFO, when Id catch CI
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

jrlander

Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:13 pm

AS uses in the Intl terminal for flights from Mexico, and sometimes to Mexico.

ClearedDirect

Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:57 pm

Indy is also the only domestic airline at an all international terminal at JFK.

The entrance is very much like mentioned above, you enter at ground level but then are moved upstairs (escalator) and walk into the terminal. Very smooth.

CD

johnboy

Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:56 am

Hopefully the directional signs have been updated for Baggage Claim.

It was frustrating to find in the past (not just by me, but nearly 100% of passengers deplaning).

as739x

Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:30 am

OK...Let me clear this up for you!

Alaska uses the International gates for all flight in the monring that go on to Mexico. This is required by SFO that all flights to Mexico operate from international gates. Currently that is 3 AS flights per day. Obviously we use the Int'l gates for all arrivals.

AirTran/Indy use the International gates for a few reason. First, there is very little room left in the domestic terminals. Second, the drop in traffic ( loss of SwissAir and Alitalia) at SFO hurt the facilities operating from the A concourse, the Rest. and Shops, etc. Third, there is no overnight gates or gates for Red-eye use available at the domestic gates. Other then China, Cathay, Taca and Phillippines there are no there planes on the gates at night on A councourse (though we do now have Icelandair). Fourth, for the following reasons the airports has given really low fee's for using this terminal. Why pass it up and operate from a old domestic terminal?

All jetways have doors leading to the boarding area and can be used as a domestic style gate. For FL and DH, there is also a room with a domestic baggage belt just outside the customs doors. Alaska still drops bags at it domestica baggage belt in terminal 1.

WestJet also operates from the International terminal despite AS/AC, and UA operating their Canadien flight from domestic. WestJet almost moved to CO gates, but I dont know what happened to that idea.

ASSFO
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

solehibob

Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:03 pm

Just got back from JFK-Indy's right next door to Virgin Atlantic there. Looks real sharp.

jfrworld

Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:27 pm

Quote:
Quoting Sllevin
Question: How do they handle domestic arrivals at that terminal? Do they have you disembark up on the 'top level' where the departing passengers are?

I've arrived twice into the International terminal on a domestic flight. The first was Alaska SEA - SFO - PVR and the second was United PHX - SFO with the flight terminating in SFO and heading down to PVR.

Both times we disembarked into the upper level of the international terminal and into the departure level (just like you would if arrived into the domestic terminal).

However, we had to walk to the domestic terminals to claim our bags. UA is adjacent in term 3 and AS is adjacent in term 1. Both terminals are connected to the International terminal