Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

glidepath73
Topic Author

Smelling, Stinky Passengers

Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:40 pm

Hi!

Almost everybody experienced that once in a while:
The passenger next to you smells really bad after old sweat, or beer, or something else (Garlic, taking off the shoes, while they smell really bad)

How would you react? A lot of people get sick if they have to smell this for a longer time. (Longhaul flights)

How do F/A react, if several passengers suddenly ask to get an other seat?

Any experiences with that?

Regards,
Patrick
Aviation! That rocks...

Birdwatching

RE: Smelling, Stinky Passengers

Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:09 pm

Well Patrick... soon you will know how to deal with problem passengers, if your plans work out...  Smile
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

HAWK21M

Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:22 pm

Quoting Glidepath73 (Thread starter):
How do F/A react, if several passengers suddenly ask to get an other seat

They'll probably spray some Air freshner around the area  Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

panamandy

Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:58 pm

Happened to me onboard ordfra in lufthansa first class a sweaty neighbor.

I asked the f/a to be reseated as I couldn't stand that for 8hrs.

Changed my window seat to an aisle and I told him to use a better deodorant as he smells, he was somewhat surprised and got redfaced.

Discussed with the f/a how some people dont know how to take care about themselves, he was German and manager of Siemens.

Whenever I board a longhaul flight, I go change at least my shirt and use a washcloths in the toilet for a little makeover, inorder not to offend somebody

EK156

Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:33 pm

What a predicament!!! What can you do if the flight is full??

Simply suffer!!! Unfortunately... Unless you have the guts to tell the person to go to the bathroom and freshen up!!! This is my worst nightmare as I travel alone alot. Last time I travelled I had a massive guy sitting next to me who practically filled all of his seat and half of mine!!! And the plane was full!!

The flight was 9 hours!!! I was sick for 3 days after that flight!!! What a nightmare!!!!

WesternA318

Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:40 pm

EK,

Try sitting on the Olympic A340 doing JFK-ATH, with all the sweaty Greeks (I am one, I know, lol). By the end of the flight, you'd think you were in a football (soccer) teams locker room!  faint   ill   sour 

DAYflyer

Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:47 pm

If the flight is full you are SOL. Otherwise reseating is the only relief you can get. I just wish some people had better hygiene.
One Nation Under God

Wayfarer

Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:53 pm

(knock on wood) I would not tell the stinky passenger directly.

I will just ask other passengers if they could detect foul smell ... and see what their responses are and go from there

- OR -

I will write a small complaint note and then hit "Flight Attendant call button" and wait till the F/A come to my seat and give the note to the F/A
EASTERN AIRLINES: We Are Still Here Today

glidepath73
Topic Author

Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:55 pm

Once a older guy was barefoot in his sandals. He was sitting one row in front of me. Suddenly he took off the sandals. Several passengers surrounding got upset by the real bad smell coming off his feet. My goodness, it was unbearable. I sat a few rows behind my seat, and other people looked at him, shaking the head.
Really bad, imagine this short before the meal service!  Wow!
Aviation! That rocks...

EUROBUS

Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:09 pm

I think smelly people simply don´t realize. And surely there are places it seems deodorant must me anti-macho! My worst experience was a number of years ago on a flight between CCS and Porlamar, Margarita Island. I started writing a letter (it still must be around somewhere), almost praying we would arrive conscious!  Wink . It was really really bad.

There are other disgusting habits around the World. The worst one was on a domestic flight in China, where the gentleman sitting beside me -during lunch- started making those throat noises that announce there is something thick and ugly on its way. Surely enough, he spat out a great big green you know what in to the plastic cup he previously drank out of. This was really horrible!

But the most common and worst of all, don't you think are all those farts??
Who says airports are boring places?!

FlyBoy84

Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:32 pm

Twice in recent times I've had experiences with stinkpots.

Once was a man from India on a WN flight from STL to MDW. for the life of me I can't understand why he felt he had to sit in the same row I was in since the flight was nowhere near full. He had that "I-haven't-bathed-in-several-months" funk that hits you like an axe blade to the forehead. I simply got up and acted like I had to go to the lavatory (although I really felt like barfing); when I came out I simply took another seat a few rows back from him. That was simply disgusting.

The other time was, of all things, on a US regional jet from STL to CLT. Some bloke in a business suit who smelled as though he'd been workin' on the railroad all the live long day. Two hours of smelly armpits and God only knows what else and nowhere to run since the sardine can was full! All I could do was scrunch myself against the wall/window. And he had the nerve to try to strike up a conversation!

I don't think so!

md80fanatic

Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:40 pm

I think the comedian "Gallagher" used to say....that when you smell something you are actually inhaling little itty bitty pieces of what it is you are smelling.

Pretty gross I know....but what are you going to do? Even a freshener spray will only dilute the small particles in a cloud of roses....which can confuse your nose into ignoring the distasteful and focussing on the pleasant. However you are still ingesting basically, feet, armpit, esophagus, butt, etc. particles from someone else, probably non-related to you.

SO then what to do about it? Anyone wanna have lunch? LOL

WesternA318

Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:40 pm

LOL,

reminds me of a WN flight SLC-LAS. This family of Mexicans (Or Latinos, I honestly dunno where from) sat in the row in fron of me when WN still had Club Seating. Anyone ever walked inside a fish market in the middle of summer? Phew!  crowded   crazy 

jetblueatjfk

Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:03 am

Quoting EUROBUS (Reply 9):

Oh yea lol I have had that problem with other people near me, but I try to be nice and EITHER, go to bathroom or make it a quite one and blame it on someone else. (LOl I know I mean)

Anyway I was on a WN flight from ISP-FLL and it was full and we were going with a soccer team so everyone (all familes) were spread out all around the cabin. Luckily my sister was one row up (I had an Aisle!!! I was so mad). But next to me there was a lady at the window and what seemed to be her husband or boyfriend next to me, so basically about 1 minute after pushback they both fell asleep while we were de-icing. And then as we started to taxi he woke up and took off shoes and sweatshirt. Holy $h!t!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was a like a stink bomb in the smelly school cafeteria. It was so bad and he just went back to sleep and one of his armpits were open (thank god facing other way). But still 3 hrs of this stink was more than I can stand. Hopefully no one bad this Monday on jetBlue JFK-FLL. (Please no STINKY people take my flight on Monday). I should bring deodorant and hand it to them.

airplane jetBlueAtJFK airplane  (Sorry so long)
And don't worry I smell nice so I am not the stink pot

EUROBUS

Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:18 am

Quoting JetBlueAtJFK (Reply 13):
about 1 minute after pushback they both fell asleep

laughing  I´m not suprised they where always asleep!!
Who says airports are boring places?!

skywatch

Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:34 am

I am fortunate in the fact that I do not have a "smelly story" yet. I just hope my fights in a few weeks don't supply me with one! And yes, it is true that when you smell something, you are actually inhaling molecules of that substance!  yuck  I only like that thought when I am smelling food!

---Skywatch
------Forever Watchin' The Sky------

glidepath73
Topic Author

Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:43 am

Hey guys this is really funny to read your posts! I'm cracking up here while reading!  hyper 

Once on a flight to Manila from Singapore with a SIA 772 I sat close to the rear toilets. There was this heavy guy approaching the toilet, already farting like crazy even before he went inside the toilet! The guy next to me and myself, we just cracked up laughing... I'll never forget that.  boggled 

Regards,
Patrick
Aviation! That rocks...

B-707

Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:15 am

LOL. I once sat in the isle hoping the 2 seats next to me would stay unoccupied as the flight to Larnaca was about 4.5 hours. No luck. Two young men dressed very smartly in their business suits bothered me to move so they could get in. I thought OK they'll just read or something and I'll sleep.

Was I in for a shock!!! Once we were airborne a really bad smell emanating from them wafted over to my nostrils. They looked so smartly dressed I thought it can't be them. But sure enough I looked downwards to see the bloke next to me had slipped his shoes off. What a PONG. The one next to the window was even looking at me like it was me who smelled!! Bloody cheek!! It was really bad, but I managed to live with it until he decided to make himself more comfortable. Up came one socked foot to lean on his knee. That was it I got up and asked to be re-seated. Luckily another seat was available.

I moved. Later I walked back to use the lavatory and noticed that he had his feet on my old seat - but had put his shoes back on. Maybe he removed them in the hope I'd move?? It's disgusting!!!

Bad hygiene is bad enough, but in an enclosed space it's totally horrendous!!

su

Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:30 am

Check the archive on a.net forum - there are alot of funny ones on this topic...
"Life is too short to take it serious..."

Ken777

Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:51 am

These are situations were I am very thankful for individual air vents on planes.

A few years ago I was on a packed QF SYD-LAX flight, sitting next to a guy who took a bath on the first of every month, wether he needed it or not. Unfortunately we were traveling on the 17th. I just turned the air vent on full blast on my face and got a lot of relief. Now when I get on a plane I look for the air vents and, sadly, they seem to be going out of style!

Lando

Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:54 am

Just back in April I flew from PIA-MSP on a Northwest Airlink Saab 340, and the whole way there this old man (probably 70 atleast) kept ripping some nasty farts. It made the whole plane stink since it is such a small plane. It was extremely nasty.

akelley728

Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:09 am

For a very hilarious thread from flyertalk.com on this very subject, read the following... you'll be
 rotfl   rotfl 

Audacious and Unmitigated Flatulence

Luniew

Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:43 am

Few yeas a go I was on LOT from JFK to WAW and I had a drunk smelly guy sit next to me. Right away I went to the galley and complained to F/A she said the plane is full and she will try to do something after takeoff. She came to me right after the seatbelt sign was turned off and she invited me to business class. Very nice.

The other bad experience was on my last flight to LAS when some old lady behind me started painting her nails, I just turned around and asked her nicely if she could stop. She apologized and that was it.

Tom

BA84

Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:57 am

My experience was on BA 85 LHR-YVR, Traveller Plus cabin.
A guy from India was my seat-mate. After take-off, he removed his
sandals, which was unpleasant, but then he squatted on his
haunches on the seat! I made a pleading face to the FA.
She was experienced. She scolded him to put his feet down on the
floor, which he did. A moment later, she returned with a pair of
blue socks (probably from first class) and insisted he put them
on. He complied. She was a life saver. I gave her hand a squeeze
when I got off the plane.

glidepath73
Topic Author

Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:34 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 19):
I just turned the air vent on full blast on my face and got a lot of relief. Now when I get on a plane I look for the air vents and, sadly, they seem to be going out of style!

That's really true, I noticed as well, that the air vents disappear more and more in the cabins....
But very often those air vents are the lost solution if you have somebody bad smelling right next to you!

Regards,
Patrick
Aviation! That rocks...

trekster

Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:41 am

Quoting BA84 (Reply 23):
She was a life saver. I gave her hand a squeeze
when I got off the plane

]
GO BA  Smile
Where does the time go???

Gary2880

Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:50 am

A vic nasal stick up each nostril that should solve any problems, and get you high as a kite in the process
Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel :- Samuel Johnson

cpsarras

Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:27 am

Quoting AKelley728 (Reply 21):
For a very hilarious thread from flyertalk.com on this very subject, read the following... you'll be

Audacious and Unmitigated Flatulence

That is funny as hell!!!

But really, a lot of people do not realize that the reduced pressure inside the cabin contributes to gas being easier to escape, so they should not eat certain foods before taking a flight...
- To Fly Is To Be Free -

Jamake1

Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:39 am

I was once working a flight from SFO to JFK. A customer boarded in the Business Class cabin and almost immediately the other passengers started to complain that the passenger's body odor was offensive. The business class section was filled to capacity. My other colleagues informed the Purser of the flight that a male passenger had boarded in business class and smelled badly. The purser went to the Captain and informed him that the other passengers in business class were complaining about an offensive smelling customer who had just boarded the aircraft. The Purser decided to call a Passenger Service Director who met the Purser on the jetway. After discussing the situation, the decision was made to remove the passenger who smelled badly. It was a very touchy situation because the passenger was an Executive 1K flyer. However, it was decided that possibly causing offense to one passenger was better than forcing a cabin full of high yield business travellers to endure a 5 hour flight in the company of an offensive smelling passenger. I actually thought the Passenger Service Director and Purser handled the situation quite well. They informed the customer of the situation, but offered him use of the International Arrivals Lounge where he could take a shower and then offered to accommodate him on a later flight. The passenger was nevertheless, very offended and threatened to sue the airline. I think he was embarrassed, more than anything. He was from a different culture where it wasn't custom to bathe everyday but his body odor did permeate throughout the entire Business Class cabin until he was removed from the aircraft. I did think it was handled as best as it could have been.
Come fly the sun.

gkpetery

Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:54 am

I had this older guy sitting in the row in from of me from LAX-TPE on EVA and he smelled really badly. I felt bad because I don't think it was his fault because he was elderly... and well... he was just an older guy. The f/a knew the problem and discreetly sprayed a fragrance along the aisle of the entire cabin. He still smelled, but what can you do when it's a full flight?

fspilot747

Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:06 am

I have a low tolerance for bad hygiene, I don't care what your culture is. This guy I was sitting next to on a United flight to SNA from ORD smelled pretty rotten. It was the "I didn't shower this weekend" smell. He just smelled dirty, and whenever he opened his mouth, I wanted to hurl. It was a full fliight and I didn't bother the flight attendant about it because It was a bulkhead exit row seat and he was in the aisle a little further from me, but still. The guy reeked. I just kept eating Halls mints and put headphones on and faced the window/door.

mirrodie

Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:14 am

Whats even worse was when, on a flight from Houston to Torreon, on a Continental ERJ 135/145 (not sure whicH), someone threw up in the bathroom and we had to smell that for a good 10 minutes.
YEEECH!

A simple to use and effective approach to any neighboring smelly people/situations is this:

Carry with you on your carry one, one of those fragrance Christmas trees or A Yankee Candle fragrance thingy.

You know the ones, you hang them from the rear view mirror of your car.

As the smell looms in, break open the package and just pin it to the airlines seat ahead of you.

Sends a good smell and a stronger message that hopefully they will learn from.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

aa777jr

Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:21 am

Q.Smelling stinking passengers

A.reminds me of a WN flight SLC-LAS
A liberal is a man who is right most of the time, but he's right too soon.

NoUFO

Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:39 am

This happened to me riding on the Berliner S-Bahn. An obese man with an extremly unhealthy looking skin colour entered the train, farted - and thus actually managed to force some 90 percent of the other passengers to leave.
It was as if a stink bomb had gone off.
All this usual "I-just-didn't-notice-politeness" ceased to exist on the spot, and no one within the radius of maybe 7 meters (20 yards, I think) remained seated.
Trust me, I'm not kidding!

Since then I sure hope not to witness something similar on a plane.
I support the right to arm bears

jfrworld

Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:47 am

According to USWeekly magazine in the US, Brittany Spears is one of them!

I guess she took off her shoes and her feet smelled so bad that fellow passengers complained and the flight attendant asked her to put her shoes back one.

vomit 

atrude777

Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:47 am

Quoting Jfrworld (Reply 34):
According to USWeekly magazine in the US, Brittany Spears is one of them!

I guess she took off her shoes and her feet smelled so bad that fellow passengers complained and the flight attendant asked her to put her shoes back one.

What airline did she fly? lol.

it doesnt neccesarily have to be a bad smell, this guy I sat next to on my STL-DFW flight on AA had sprayed what seemed like the WHOLE bottle of cologne. I was gagging, omg. I just put on the air and left it on the whole time.
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

AsstChiefMark

Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:01 am

Just carry each of these. Choose whichever one is most appropriate depending on what the odour is, what's causing it, and how bad it is. Spray liberally on the offender. Hopefully, he'll get the hint:

Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

Rafabozzolla

Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:10 am

Quoting Jamake1 (Reply 27):
He was from a different culture where it wasn't custom to bathe everyday but his body odor did permeate throughout the entire Business Class cabin until he was removed from the aircraft.

Where from? France?
:D

UAL747

Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:25 am

Ugh, I remember my worst experience with this. SLC-FAT on a Delta 737. Was about 12 at the time, travelling by myself for the first time. I was seated in the front of economy so the flight attendant could keep an eye on me. Well, this OLD OLD OLD woman, who looked like she'd been through hell and back, and went back for more, came limping down the isle. I was seated at the window, she sat on the isle. She was CLEARLY not very coherent. She had about 3 moles on her face with thick white hairs growing out of them. She had pee stains all over the back of her shirt. She smelled AWFUL. In fact, the entire front of the plane was an awful experience.

The flight attendants quickly realized there was a problem. It was horrid. I still have yet to find anyone who smelled as bad as she did. The flight attendants came over the PA and announced that since the flight wasn't full, anyone is welcome to change seats. Obviously the intent was to let the people around the woman move further back to avoid the smell. It was like a migration back to the rear of the aircraft as about 10 of us got up and went back.

After we vacated the first few rows, the flight attendants came back with some air freshner and sprayed all behind the lady. The lady I think was almost blind, and wasn't aware. She couldn't even speak when the flight attendants asked her questions, couldn't hear, etc. She had to be over 90.

Anyway, I went and sit behind the wing, next to a guy with a mullet in "Hammer Pants" who played with his hard on for 30 min of the flight. You could see him flick at it through those thin baggy pants. LOL.

Strange flight...

Well, and there was this one time, although not in an airplane, but at BOS Logan men's room, where a guy came out of the stall. He was carrying a duffle bag and changed into gym clothes. I found out why, when I went into the stall. Let's just say, the applesauce missed the toilet completely, and I mean, APPLESAUCE. I almost threw up. I still think about that every once in a while, feeling sorry for the poor janitor who'd have to clean that up.

UAL

[Edited 2005-07-08 03:32:52]
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

Rafabozzolla

Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:47 am

Sorry for posting this, but how do I edit my own previous post?

Jamake1

Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:04 am

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 38):
Where from? France?

He was from an African country...
Come fly the sun.

UAalltheway

Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:14 am

Quoting Rafabozzolla (Reply 39):
Sorry for posting this, but how do I edit my own previous post?

You can't after 30 min. Otherwise you'd see a button in the lower right corner of your post that would read "edit post".  Smile

UAL747

Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:19 am

Quoting Jamake1 (Reply 40):
Quoting UAL747 (Reply 38):Where from? France?
He was from an African country...

HUH? I didn't say that....see the reply above my previous one.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

Dougloid

Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:20 am

Back in the day I worked at a place that had a 707-138B that had been repoed from Bouraq and flown back to the states. It was based in Indonesia and was used on the Hajj run....

So me and a mate decided we'd have a look around inside and see what we could pinch before it left...I made the mistake of wearing a wool sweater. We climbed up thru the door near the nose gear.

Pheeeeeeeeeeeeew......I've been in pigpens that smelled better. The forward lav was leaking down on the radio racks and they'd just been using it anyway....
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

N754PR

Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:34 am

Its not a case of not looking after themselves, so dont be stupid. I for one am fine in Hong Kong as the A/C is great, however a few weeks back at Frankfurt I was sweating like a pig as the A/C is crap in all airports in Europe and it was 28C outside, then you get on the plane which has poor A/C and bingo.... you get smelly.
Bush, your a sad, sad man.

mtyfreak

Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:45 am

Once on BA LHR-JFK I was the second person that boarded the plane and the person before me smelled really bad and very strong, not only the smell was horrible but also the funny look that the people was making when they were boarding the very stinky cabin, the smell never went away, it was an unforgettable stinky longhaul.
Only here for the beer...

BWI757

Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:07 pm

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 36):

I LOVE the RAID can!

BWI757
"Like stars across the sky, we were born to shine" - Andrea Bocelli

fixplanes2

Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:26 pm

Body odor is acceptable compared to the silent-random farters.

RICARIZA

Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:53 pm

...But the most common and worst of all, don't you think are all those farts??

This was too funny.. I had a couple of those on several trips. The last one was in LH coming from Frankfurt to BOG the smell was unbearable.. I called the f/a and asked her for some coffee beans or just grounded coffee to smell, I said it outloud and I am sure the "farter" noticed...
I miss ACES, I am proud of AVIANCA & I am loyal to AMERICAN

rhuertas70

Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:03 pm

Quoting Cpsarras (Reply 26):
But really, a lot of people do not realize that the reduced pressure inside the cabin contributes to gas being easier to escape, so they should not eat certain foods before taking a flight...

Yeah, like for example soda drinks.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos