vasilek
Topic Author

SVO-BKK On IL-19

Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:08 am

Hello.

Was searching for the flight from NYC to BKK and was very surprised to see Aeroflot (with cheapest fare) among other carrier in the list of offered flights. But then what surprised me most of all is the equipment they use on the SVO-BKK leg. Can't believe my eyes - Ilushing 19 Turboprop.

This must be a mistake. Can this aircraft even make it all the way from SVO to BKK?

No, thanks. I am taking Thai's A345.

Cheers.

flyKiWi

RE: SVO-BKK On IL-19

Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:11 am

They probably meant IL-96, no?
"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" -Gandhi

cedarjet

Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:17 am

Oh come on, of course it's a mistake. Aeroflot are no more likely to fly an Il18 from Moscow to Bangkok than United are to fly a Boeing 247 from LA to Tokyo. Why (a) are you surprised that Aeroflot would fly from Moscow to NY and to BKK, and (b) why would anyone think "Il18" is not a typo?
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

afay1

Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:22 am

Aeroflot lists the flight as an being on an IL96, plus I don't believe an IL-19 turboprop exists. Must just be an error in the timetable. An IL96 is way more interesting than an A345!

flyKiWi

Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:24 am

Quoting Afay1 (Reply 3):
An IL96 is way more interesting than an A345!

I second that!
"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" -Gandhi

vasilek
Topic Author

Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:38 am

Quote:
Why (a) are you surprised that Aeroflot would fly from Moscow to NY and to BKK, and (b) why would anyone think "Il18" is not a typo?

A. I am not surprised about JFK-SVO-JFK or SVO-BKK-SVO. I am pleasantly surprised about JFK-BKK-JFK on Aeroflot. Just didn't expect that.
B. Didn't know Sabre timetables can have typos. Wouldn't they be crucial?

Quote:
An IL96 is way more interesting than an A345!

It depends how you look at it. More interesting because it's a rare aircraft? I agree.

[email protected]

Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:00 am

I flew on an SU IL9 from SVO to DEL and thoroughly enjoyed it.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

UN_B732

Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:05 am

Vasilek,
Sometimes Aeroflot service can be rude, stuck-up, arrogant and inflexible, but sometimes their great, and at the end of the day, it could be quite interesting. I say try out Aeroflot, it could be great ,I mean it's not the end of the world, a new comfy Il-96 to BKK and a 767-300/ER (oldest of which is 1998 I believe) to SVO.
Try it and save the CA$H for stuff at your destination. You need to have the other half of your fun.
What now?

LPLAspotter

Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:27 am

I saw the same mistake a few weeks ago. I'd love to ride the IL-96 from SVO to BKK! Go for it.

Cheers: LPLAspotter
Nuke the Gay Wales for Christ

vasilek
Topic Author

Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:27 am

Quote:
I say try out Aeroflot, it could be great... a new comfy Il-96 to BKK...

May be I should really take Aeroflot (not earning any miles  Sad ). I am completely OK with B767 and heard that Russians are good pilots, but somewhat concerned about IL-96' reliability. Shouldn't I be?

vasilek
Topic Author

Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:31 am

BTW, which distance is shorter - over the Atlantic and Russia, or over the US and the Pacific?

utapao

Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:43 am

Quoting Vasilek (Reply 5):
B. Didn't know Sabre timetables can have typos. Wouldn't they be crucial?

FYI - Native Sabre displays the equipment type correctly as an IL9 (IL96). See the availability display below with the equipment decode directly following.

16JUL SAT SVO/Z‡4 BKK/‡3
1SU 551 J C D O Y S B M *SVOBKK 1045P 1110A‡1 IL9 D 0 WJ

W/EQ*IL9«
IL9 ILYUSHIN IL96 JET
235-250 STD SEATS

Perhaps TVLY decodes it incorrectly.
Sawasdee khrab!

vasilek
Topic Author

Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:49 am

Quote:
Native Sabre displays the equipment type correctly as an IL9 (IL96)... Perhaps TVLY decodes it incorrectly

I see.

afay1

Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:22 am

Hmmm, reliability concerns about the IL-96? It is based on the IL-86, of which only one (cargo) has crashed, and the IL-96 itself has never had a crash. It may be more prone to delays compared with 767, but certainly not unsafe.

vasilek
Topic Author

Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:25 am

To my knowledge Travelocity is own by Sabre. Nevertheless such discrepancies have place.

airplanetire

Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:58 pm

That sounds awesome! Just know that I think Americans (if you are American) require a transit visa to change planes in Russia en route to a third country. One of those is probably easy to get though.

hjulicher

Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:54 am

I tried flying aeroflot from CDG to SVO a couple of months ago. I thought I would earn skyteam miles because I purchased the ticket through AirFrance, but still haven't been credited the miles, and I just sent my ticket receipt and copies of my boaring pass to Northwest.

Aeroflot is really no different from any other airline except that they have an extensive fleet of Russian aircraft. Most people agree too that Russian planes are more comfortable inside because of the seat designs, yet there are drawbacks like no center overhead bins, and aesthetically, the interior might not be as pleasant to look at.

If you have doubts about flying the IL96 because of reliability issues, there is nothing to worry about. First I've flown on a few IL-86's that were operated by Russian Charter companies, if you ever want to feel scared after always flying by western standards, try one of these, but aeroflot trying to become a western airline isn't going to be different that what you expect.

I believe that my aeroflot flight from CDG-SVO was more confortable and better served than the airfrance flight SVO-CDG. The seats are more confortable, and the FA's are friendly but not loquacious. So, they do their job curteously and efficiently, but don't expect to have a conversation with them.

Finally, you will need a transit visa while in Moscow. It's just like entering the US if you were flying from europe to mexico with a stop in the US. you have to go through passport control, but I don't think you have to go through customs. I could be wrong, but I don't remember the seeing signs after exiting clearance for transit passengers.

Also, if you have never flown to Russia or seen it, this would defenitely be the best way to at least see something. It's always an experience when flying to a new country.

If you are worried about not earning miles, sign up for Aeroflot bonus, although the program isn't to par with other airlines, once they join the skyteam alliance, everything should be the same, so it wouldn't hurt, and a roundtrip ticket from JFk to BKK on aeroflot should earn about 20000 miles?
Detroit Moves the World!
LH 442

afay1

Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:11 am

The Aeroflot/Air France FFP mileage thing is a headache. I have also been on one of the codeshare flights and ended up just taking the Skyteam miles even though I wanted to Aeroflot Bonus ones. I think if it is bought from Air France, there is no way to get the SU miles (they have recently changed to miles from kilometers BTW, I got a bit of a shock when it said -5000 on my statement when I hadn't flown anywhere, until I realized the recalibration).

I wrote a trip report about an IL-86 charter which you can find here.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos