Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Shamrock330
Topic Author

Gulf Air In Dublin!

Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:05 pm

Just heard on irish radio that Gulf Air is to launch three times weekly service from dublin to bahrain with onward connection to JoBurg.Great news for Dublin Airport.I suspect that Aer Lingus may feel the need to urgently fast track it's plans for expansion ino the East otherwise they could be left behind!

Toulouse

RE: Gulf Air In Dublin!

Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:48 pm

Hi Shamrock330. What radio did you hear this on? I've been checking Gulf Air website, Dub web-site and rte and have found no indication of this.

If it's true it's brilliant news for Dublin, and possible not the best for EI.
Long live Aer Lingus!

backfire

Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:52 pm

James Hogan is in Dublin today, which seems to be a big hint.

gkirk

Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:56 pm

I'm still waiting for their BHX flights to start  Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Toulouse

Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:05 pm

Thanks for that Backfire... I wasn't aware of that. Fingers crossed and maybe we will finally see direct service to the east from Dublin.
Long live Aer Lingus!

Toulouse

Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:04 pm

OK, just found report on rte.ie. Announcement expected later today... great news!

Morning business news

July 15, 2005 08:25
Gulf Air announces new Dublin service - The Dublin Airport Authority has secured a major coup with the announcement expected later today that Gulf Air is to launch a service from Dublin. The airline will run a three times weekly service from Dublin to Bahrain and then on to Johannesburg in South Africa from December.

Dublin Airport Authority's Director of Communications Vincent Wall says that news of the new route is a boost both for the airport and the Irish economy in general. He says the long-haul service is a first for the airport, and admits that it has been trying to attract such services for the past ten years. He adds that it is hoped the service will increase to five times a week in the near future.

He says that Aer Rianta International has had a long association with Bahrain through its duty free shops, and says this existing relationship had helped the airline secure the deal.

On security fears, Mr Wall says that Bahrain is not seen as a risky destination and that Dublin Airport's stringent security procedures will deal with the new route. As Bahrain is a non-EU destination, he says that duty free sales will also get a major boost from the new route.
Long live Aer Lingus!

kaitak

Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:18 pm

While I'm absolutely delighted that a middle eastern airline has finally recognised Dublin, I thought it might have been EK. I hope it's still on their radar. Mind you, it has been open to them for years and they waited and waited, flying to obviously more important places like Khartoum and Accra, and they let a very good opportunity pass them by.

GF is a fine airline, no doubt, but has nowhere like the network EK has, which is why I favoured them, but I'll certainly support GF and wish them well on their new route. Long may it last.

LH121GLA

Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:47 pm

Operating Wed, Fri, Sun:

DUB BAH 0830 1905 GF 24

BAH DUB 0115 0645 GF 23

[email protected]

Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:17 pm

Good news for DUB! I guess that it is only time until EK begins a DUB-DXB service, or, indeed, GF to AUH.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

7LBAC111

Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:23 pm

And this may also impact BD too. GF/BD codeshare the DUB-LHR connection for GF's LHR services.

7LBAC111
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

behramjee

Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:14 pm

what aircraft are GF planning to use on BAH-DUB flights? They need to lease in extra aircraft to start 2 long haul routes within a short space of time i.e. JNB and DUB.

LH121GLA

Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:27 pm

Quoting Behramjee (Reply 10):
what aircraft are GF planning to use on BAH-DUB flights?

According to Galileo - it's an Airbus 330-200

KL808

Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:35 pm

This is great news indeed. Will EI code share at all on this route?

Isnt GF close to OneWorld?

Drew
AMS-LAX-MNL

EI101

Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:01 pm

No, I dont believe EI will code-share with gulf air; however, given that the incoming aer lingus chief executive is former Emirates, I would expect to see a code-share with EK appearing in the not-too-distant future. I reckon this is gulf air trying to pre-empt a future EI-EK alliance by getting in first. Clever.

Gulf air will have problems in the irish market, though, their name recognition is practically zero and could even work against them. Many Irish Ive spoken to would be 'nervous' of travelling through the middle east on a Middle Eastern carrier, despite the fact that this is one superb airline, with service that would put EI to shame.

I expect there will be blanket advertising by Gulf air of Johannesburg as a destination in the Irish press, with very little mention of the Bahrain stopover.

behramjee

Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:35 am

Does GF honestly believe that it stands a chance in JNB by sending 3 weekly A 330s/343s against a double daily EK operation + soon to be 4 weekly EY + current 4 weekly QR!!!

As far as DUB goes, EK would fare much better in that market than GF would due to its better international reach in Asia and Africa via DXB compared to GFs.

Anyone has heard any updates on GFs USA return plans to NYC?

kaitak

Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:38 am

I know Behramjee, but EK has arsed around for years, overlooking Dublin on numerous occasions. They had their chance (they may still have a chance - but if they had gone in their first, GF wouldn't have followed). I hope they do well in Accra and various other places they have picked ahead of DUB. I still hope they will fly to Dublin, but as much as I welcome GF and wish them luck, I am disappointed that EK wasn't the airline that did the job.

GF is starting at 3 wkly, moving up to 5 by next Summer. How long does EK want to wait? An airline like EK, with the size of its fleet and the value of aircraft on order simply CANNOT afford to let chances like this slip through its fingers. It did; no question about that. It can still rescue the situation, but not if it keeps prevaricating.

My big concern, however, is that EI will want to fly to DXB to "feed" into EK's hub. EI, as was mentioned elsewhere, has eastbound route plans and the last thing it needs is EK starting to DUB, so I wonder if any deals were/will be done to keep them out.

behramjee

Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:55 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 3):
I'm still waiting for their BHX flights to start

yes why have GF postponed the launch of their BHX flights for over a year now?

was the threat of a double daily EK operation too much for them to handle + 5 weekly PIA A 310 from ISB nonstop and now AI from DEL-ATQ 3 weekly B 777s.

c172

Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:54 pm

What other far east service does Dublin recieve?

EI101

Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:16 pm

None. Gulf air is the first. Singapore airlines fly cargo through on a 744F on a regular basis though, not sure how often.
From outside europe, the only service is AA, CO, US and AC (summer only). Not sure if Royal air Maroc and aeroflot still have service, havent seen them in a while, but they certainly did some time ago.

backfire

Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:45 pm

Quoting EI101 (Reply 13):
No, I dont believe EI will code-share with gulf air; however, given that the incoming aer lingus chief executive is former Emirates, I would expect to see a code-share with EK appearing in the not-too-distant future.

Since when was the former CEO's job anything to do with codesharing? If that was true, Gulf Air (headed by J Hogan Esq, ex-BMI chief) would be a member of Star Alliance by now. Incidentally the same J Hogan said today that he wouldn't rule out an EI codeshare.

behramjee

Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:18 am

Flights start on 2 December, 2005 and will be operated by Airbus A330-200 aircraft, which features state-of-the-art sky beds in First and business class.

This becomes Gulf Air's seventh destination in Europe and is in addition to the daily services to London Heathrow, Frankfurt, Paris and Athens and four days a week services to Istanbul and Larnaca.

The Dublin service will commence with three flights per week on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday with timings designed for excellent onward connections to the Far East and Australia.

Schedule details are as follows:
GF0023 - BAH - 0115 - DUB - 0645
GF0024 - DUB - 0830 - BAH - 1905

Gulf Air President and Chief Executive James Hogan is delighted with the introduction of Gulf Air's service into the Irish market.

'We have organised a number of charter flights for the Irish Travel Trade over the past few years and we therefore know that the Irish business community and public are keen to fly to the Gulf,' he said.

'Business and leisure travellers now have a unique opportunity to fly direct to the Gulf from Dublin International Airport, which avoids the need to transit via Heathrow or another European hub, usually associated with journeys to the Middle East region.'

The Republic of Ireland's Ambassador to Bahrain Tom Russell said Gulf Air was responding dynamically to market indications of increased contact between Ireland and the Gulf for business and tourism, as well as for onward connections to the Far East, Australia and South Africa.

'In addition, the 7,000 Irish citizens living in Gulf countries will now have easy connection with Ireland, as people in Ireland will have with them,' he added.

This new service will provide passengers the opportunity to sample Gulf Air's traditional Arabic hospitality coupled with other innovative and award winning services including its industry leading sky beds in first class, ultra modern business class cabin, Sky Chefs and Sky Nannies.

'There are just eight seats in First Class and 24 in Business. They are wider, more comfortable, more private, more convenient and more spacious than those offered by any other airline at present,' said Hogan.

EIN145

Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:38 am

I agree that this is fantastic for DUB. I also agree with those who are surprised EK didn't make the first move, I honestly didn't see this one coming. I knew it would only be a matter of time before some carrier started operating from DUB to the Middle East or Asia but I really thought it would be EI or EK. Go Gulf Air! I think this was a good decision for GF as Irish travellers must be sick of having to make a connection in Europe to go to the Middle East.

I guess it's just a matter of time before EK move in also. Can the market sustain GF and EK in the future? Is it perhaps also just a matter of time before an Asian carrier like CX enter the maket. I recently saw a group of JAL execs were in Ireland to investigate the prospect of a DUB-NRT flight.

kaitak

Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:36 am

I would expect EK to move in; they should have done so long before now and frankly, if they had done, GF would probably not have done so.

However, good news for Irish travellers, for the Irish tourism industry and Irish exports, which will be able to get a direct link to Asian markets without the need to go through London/Amsterdam. If we can get EK in and sort out t/a access rights (the EU/US deal) by next Summer, then next Summer will be particularly good. How Dublin Airport will cope, Heaven knows, but it'll muddle through!

I see EI is looking at CPT again, so that looks like an interesting development in the making.

nycflyer

Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:40 am

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 6):
Mind you, it has been open to them for years and they waited and waited, flying to obviously more important places like Khartoum and Accra

How are Khartoum and Accra "obviously more important" than Dublin?

Ireland's a great country, don't sell it short!

grimey

Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:55 am

How did GF get away with the SNN rule? I can't wait to see them in DUB.

Grimey

[email protected]

Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:09 am

How does EI perform on its USA/Canada flights? I am surprised that it does not have a greater presense in Canada. Which US/Canadian destinations do you foresee being served in the future?
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

grimey

Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:11 am

EI doesn't fly to Canada, AC does that. I don't see any change to US destinations, instead I can see EI heading east.

Grimey

[email protected]

Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:13 am

Didn't EI at one stage serve YYZ?

I would have thought that there was a sizeable Irish population in particular parts of Canada.

kaitak

Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:32 am

I'm sorry, NYCFlyer, I was actually being sarcastic. I wouldn't sell Ireland short for a moment, which is why I have been so determined in trying to get direct links from Asia/ME to Ireland for a long time. My comment was born of frustration. Accra and Khartoum are well behind Dublin and Ireland in virtually every way - economically, in development etc, but they were still chosen ahead of DUB.

As for Canada, Aer Lingus never served Toronto, but did serve Montreal, from about 1966 to about 1976-7 (up to the time Dorval closed to international flights). It would like to return, but unfortunately, Ireland has an extremely obstructive and counter-productive bilateral with Canada and until such time that reality shows its face in the form of a new agreement, we won't get any movement there.

There's a lot of potential there for air routes to/from Ireland, but unfortunately, Irish govt attitudes are not conducive to movement. That has to change. However, let's not lose sight of what has happened here; it's a great, great move and I am hugely pleased that GF has recognised DUB and I welcome them with open arms and hopefully, one day, with a booking!

boysteve

Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:06 am

I would like to know if Gulf air are planning expansion elsewhere. They used to serve MAN but via AMS from AUH. I think they only flew the route twice a week, no doubt I'll be corrected if wrong!

mainMAN

Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:28 am

Boysteve....

It's more likely that we might eventually see Gulf Traveller at Manchester in future. When it was set up, they announced an intention to serve BHX and MAN, and then the much heralded BHX service seems to have been quietly forgotten. No idea why, apart from competition from EK and now PK and AI.

Gulf Air operated on Wednesdays and Sundays from MAN, and I remember that one reason given for its cancellation was lack of connections at AUH.

nycflyer

Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:34 am

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 28):
I'm sorry, NYCFlyer, I was actually being sarcastic. I wouldn't sell Ireland short for a moment, which is why I have been so determined in trying to get direct links from Asia/ME to Ireland for a long time. My comment was born of frustration. Accra and Khartoum are well behind Dublin and Ireland in virtually every way - economically, in development etc, but they were still chosen ahead of DUB.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't catch the sarcasm at first.  Wink But I totally agree with you.

EIN145

Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:33 pm

Quoting Grimey (Reply 24):
How did GF get away with the SNN rule? I can't wait to see them in DUB.

The SNN rule is not applicable in this situation. It only applies to Ireland-USA and maybe Canada but not anywhere else.

Matt

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos