Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lincoln
Topic Author

Why Is Aircraft Type Painted On Fuselage?

Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:36 am

I've noticed that many airlines 'paint' (yes, I know it's almost certainly a decal) the make/model of the aircraft somewhere on the fuselage, often with the stylized name (logo) of the manufacturer, for example:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ralph Duenas
View Large View Medium

Photo © Sergio Domingos

View Large View Medium

Photo © Carlos Aleman - SJU Aviation Photography
View Large View Medium

Photo © Ariel Shocron

View Large View Medium

Photo © DAI - Dutch Aviation Images
View Large View Medium

Photo © Fabio Laranjeira - Contato Radar

And the photo that really inspired this:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Europix

Although none of theses are really great examples, I can't remember any better/older ones.

Two questions:

1) Why (esp. as has been established the vast majority of the flying public doesn't care about what they're flying on let alone know)?

2) Since, for example, in Boeing's case that stylized "Boeing Font" is a Boeing trademark, don't the airlines need to get permission?

Why would an airline want to go to the extra cost (decal printing, installation and maintenance) and hassle (getting the OK to use the logo) for something very few people will care about/notice?

Thanks,

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

broncoguy

RE: Why Is Aircraft Type Painted On Fuselage?

Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:04 am

Probably for the ramp people, its kind of like WN painting the hub caps on their -700's.

And there is that part of the flying public that do care what plane their flying on

FlyingTexan

Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:39 am

To tell the gate agents what kind of crew they need; or to tell the mechanics what type of engine to use shall a plane need an engine replacment.  Wink
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

mandala499

Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:45 am

To reduce the number of pax saying "I flew a Jumbo Jet from Midway to MacArthur!"

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

SPREE34

Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:12 pm

So A.netters will know what they took a photo of.
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

DLKAPA

Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:18 pm

Two words: Free Advertising.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

JBo

Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:43 pm

Because it's more or less just like the logo on the grille of your car. Or more accurately, just like buses and such that, despite having the logos of whatever transit company painted/vinyled over it, still have the manufacturer logo of the vehicle on it somewhere. If it's not on an actual makers plate, it may be put on the vehicle as a vinyl decal.

So this is the same principle with aircraft. Even if the general public doesn't care what plane they are on, that doesn't mean manufacturers don't want their logo somewhere on the plane to show who made it.

And while yes, it does serve some practical purpose for mechanics and ground crews alike who may not be as adept at identifying an aircraft based on looks alone, it is also there simply as manufacturer branding. Just like the Chevy stamp on the back of your car.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

HAWK21M

Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:04 pm

Providing Information to the Pax.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

breiz

Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:41 pm

We may assume that when an airline buys a new type of plane, they are somewhat proud about it and want to show to the rest of the world that they have got something new, better, more quiet, more efficient,... you name it.
Besides, an airplane is a machine and we are used to put names on machines.
Would you use a car, let alone buy a car which hasn't got a name on it?

steve7e7

Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:29 pm

So the Captain knows which flight manual to use  rotfl 

TheSonntag

Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:44 pm

On the old livery of SAS, for example, they didn't write on their MD80s what kind of airplane it was. This was really pissing me off when I was younger, because I couldn't tell the difference that time.

So not every airline writes it down. But I would wish they did. It is very interesting, even though I do not have problems telling the difference between airplanes anymore.

grimey

Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:31 pm

Boeing are the ones who paint the plane just before it leaves washington for the first time so they do it hoping the airlines will never notice  Smile

Grimey

GEnxPower

Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:55 pm

I am not sure the Airlines have to pay the airframe manufacturers extra money to have their logo and fonts on the airplane. In fact, I won't be surprised if Boeing or Airbus would encourage their logo be displayed. The Airlines might be able to discuss a price discount on the airframe based on this "advertising space".

It's the same for our engines in GE. We would certainly love to have our logo on planes that use our turbofans. It's advertising and we are proud to be providing the powerplant for that airline/airframe. Even for planes like A345/6 or B772/3-LR/ER where there is exclusive power, RR and GE still display their logos proudly. Even for most aviation fans, knowing the engines types/suppliers comes much later than recognising the airframes, so the engine logo do come in handy.

LY4XELD

Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:44 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 7):
Providing Information to the Pax.

I doubt it has anything to do with passengers knowledge of what they are flying on. First of all, the majority could care less about it as long as it takes them to where they need to go. Secondly, the safety cards usually have some sort of indication of what type of aircraft the plane is (and now, where it was manufactured). As others posted, it's probably more along the lines of a car manufacturer putting their logo on the grille.

As far as maintenance goes, they'll (or should know) know what it is before actually seeing or working on the aircraft anyway.

FLY2LIM

Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:58 pm

Oh, come on! This is a silly thread.
It's done for the same reason my car says "Honda Camry 350Z," right?
(for those a.netters without a sense of humor, it's a joke)
FLY2LIM
Faucett. La primera linea aerea del Peru.

nycfuturepilot

Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:47 am

Quoting Broncoguy (Reply 1):
its kind of like WN painting the hub caps on their -700's.

I had never heard that and just looked at pictures in the data base and still done see it, looks like all of the hub caps are painted.
Father, Son, HOYA spirit

kingair867P

Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:57 am

Several reasons. USAIR Has it all on the 320 series so the pushback knows how much room he is gonna need to swing her if he has to....sort of a little reminder...so he doesnt swing a 321 instead of a 320 and clip a wing  Smile

dl757md

Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:06 am

Quoting JBo (Reply 6):
And while yes, it does serve some practical purpose for mechanics and ground crews alike who may not be as adept at identifying an aircraft based on looks alone,

OH PLEEEEEEAASSSSE!! I can't speak for ground crews. I'm sure some of them don't give a rats [email protected]! about airplanes but they do know the difference between them from their training on how to use the cargo/baggage/door/ground com/towing systems on the aircraft.

MX peronnell on the other hand had better be able to recognize the different types of aircraft instantly or they have NO place being there!

Quoting Lincoln (Thread starter):
Why would an airline want to go to the extra cost (decal printing, installation and maintenance) and hassle (getting the OK to use the logo) for something very few people will care about/notice?

Quoting Lincoln (Thread starter):
yes, I know it's almost certainly a decal

They usually aren't decals rather they are painted on using a precut stencil.
This would be accomplished at the same point during the painting process that the rest of the stenciling would be done. The man hours for creating the stencil, applying it, painting, and removing the stencil are about 1 hour for the entire process (per stencil). Add to that the cost of the raw material for the stencil and the paint and you're looking at less than $100. As to why an airline would want to encure this expense to promote Boeing, I don't know. The reasons are probably many and varied.

Dl757Md
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

JBo

Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:50 am

Quoting Dl757md (Reply 17):
They usually aren't decals rather they are painted on using a precut stencil.
This would be accomplished at the same point during the painting process that the rest of the stenciling would be done.

Depends on the size and scope of the lettering involved. Sometimes it is painted on. Other times it is, in fact, vinyl decal lettering.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

bill142

Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:58 am

Its a bit like a car having badges on it isn't it?

cancidas

Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:59 am

i dcan answer for USAir. the type is painted under the nose on all airbus a/c for the pushback driver's use. it is there so that he know what a/c it is exactly and does not make the wrong maneuvers in a tight alley with a A321 thinking its a A319. also, the type is painted under the L2 door for some stations that position the jetway at that door instead of the L1 door. the same is for the 757 and 767 fleet (i think, we don't handle them at LGA.) as for the express carriers the type is painted next to the L1 door for ground personnel. with bopeing i think it is just standard practice to put the type on there somewhere lest the carrier disagree. i doubt that they are there for the pax...
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

Cory6188

Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:01 am

Not all airlines have the type of airplane on the exterior. CO, for one, makes no distinction on the exterior about the aircraft name.

cvg2lga

Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:11 am

sometimes the ship type can tell a story.

A few months ago I saw a Transmeridian 757 at CVG, and when I got up close to it I could see in the back it said Boeing 757-236. Now a few years back that would have only meant to me a Boeing 757-200. Now however when I saw that I knew that it was an ex-British Airways bird and it thrilled me to no end!! I dont see why it is to be so critical of something of no importance. If anything it only helps- to advertise manufacturer, enlighten ignorant pax of aircraft type, thrill aviation enthusiasts with little knowledge of aircraft types/ airframes. That is how I learned when Delta used the widget scheme, they had the aircraft type stenciled onto the back of the planes by the N number.
Tchau
DA-
They don't call em' emergencies anymore. They call em' Patronies.

pecoua

Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:25 am

I wish CO would paint the aircraft types on their planes...I have a lot of trouble telling apart the 737-300, -500, -700, -800 and -900...not even their reg numbers give you a clue.  Smile

HKGKaiTak

Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:03 am

Actually on this subject I wonder what made AA paint "Super (!) 80" or "757 Luxury Jet" on them instead of just say MD80 or 757-200 or whatever like everyone else does.

Does anyone else apart from AA and SQ (Megatop, Jubilee etc) have a "name" for different types?
4 Engines 4 LongHaul

A360

Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:20 am

Quoting LY4XELD (Reply 13):
Secondly, the safety cards usually have some sort of indication of what type of aircraft the plane is (and now, where it was manufactured).

Of course! The model of the aircraft, when it's painted on the fuselage, is not visible to a passenger entering the plane by an air bridge.
If a passenger wants to know in what plane he/she is in, he/she just has to look at the security chart.

If that was meant for the passengers, companies would put it MUCH more visible!

citationjet

Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:22 am

Many people have mentioned this practice is very similiar to what is done with automobiles, which is true.
Also with autos, in addition to the manufacturers logos, the car dealership that sold you the car also adds his own badge or label.
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,73G,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773,788.

positiverate

Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:41 am

it's the one thing I miss on the Delta paint job, I will tell you that.

FoxBravo

Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:55 am

Sometimes, when it's a new type of plane, the airlines go out of their way to "show off" what kind it is:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Bob Garrard

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ito Noriyuki

Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

FlySSC

Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:28 pm

Another obvious "show off " :

View Large View Medium

Photo © Michel Gilliand

Originally, even the most famous and most "recognizable" aircraft had its name written...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Bernard Charles

AsstChiefMark

Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:53 pm

I hate the way AA slaughters the MD80 name by calling it a "Super 80." There's nothing super about it. It's just a noisy, old airplane. Whenever I'm talking to an agent from AA about a flight and they use the term "Super 80," I ask what makes it super. "Does it have free meals, IFE, and fly Mach 1? If not, then it's just another MD80."

It's like AB plastering "Alt Fokker" on the side of their F100's.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos