Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Ibhayi
Topic Author

Airbus, Boeing Battle Gets Under Way At WTO

Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:28 am

Here it is, da da da dum.

Let battle commence, and may the less crooked bastard win.

The article outlines the basis of the argument brought forward to the WTO.

http://www.businessday.co.za/articles/topstories.aspx?ID=BD4A71176
fat girls give the best head because they're hungry

11Bravo

RE: Airbus, Boeing Battle Gets Under Way At WTO

Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:51 am

Quoting Ibhayi (Thread starter):
Let battle commence, and may the less crooked bastard win.

You got that right. I wonder how much dirty laundry will be aired before one of them decides to settle.
WhaleJets Rule!

Arrow

Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:25 am

They should throw Bombardier and Embraer in there too -- get it all sorted out at once. Boeing and Airbus will rue the day they launched this cat fight. At least I hope they do.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

kappel

Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:45 am

There will be only losers in this battle, and a lot of mudslinging. I'm afraid this will escalate into a full-blown trade war.
L1011,733,734,73G,738,743,744,752,763,772,77W,DC855,DC863,DC930,DC950,MD11,MD88,306,319,320,321,343,346,ARJ85,CR7,E195

KL808

Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:46 am

Here's a thought to ponder about:

If the WTO rules against one of the two (if it gets that far), how will the sanctions be imposed?

Would you really think the US or Europe will allow itself to be sanctioned by the WTO?

Drew
AMS-LAX-MNL

mrocktor

Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:54 am

Quoting Arrow (Reply 2):
They should throw Bombardier and Embraer in there too

Brazil has filed as an interested party. By the way, companies don't "battle" at the WTO, countries do.

mrocktor

boysteve

Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:54 am

Quoting Kappel (Reply 3):
There will be only losers in this battle, and a lot of mudslinging. I'm afraid this will escalate into a full-blown trade war.

I disagree, what about the lawyers?

RichardPrice

Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:02 am

Quoting KL808 (Reply 4):

Would you really think the US or Europe will allow itself to be sanctioned by the WTO?

The US has already lost several WTO cases with Europe, allowing for Europe to legally levy tariffs on US goods. This hasnt yet happened, but it does mean that basically the EU is in a better position because we have tariffs in reserve - if Boeing wins, Europe can still levy tariffs on Boeing aircraft in retaliation. If Europe wins, they can come down a lot harder on the US than the US could.

In my opinion, neither will win and both will lose. The WTO is likely to come out and point fingers in both directions, and Boeing and Airbus will go back to the table, sit down and sort out a new agreement (just like Europe wanted to do earlier this year). This is a posturing move that went too far.

DAYflyer

Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:10 am

Quoting Kappel (Reply 3):

I personally doubt it will result in a full blown trade war. I don't think either side wants that. But I do think it will be an embarrasing event for both Airbus and Boeing as they both have enough to hide. If either one comes out of it looking better, it will be a miracle. I fear both sides will lose in the longer term.

However, if it results in all subsidies for BOTH sides being eliminated, then it has achieved something.
One Nation Under God

RichardPrice

Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:14 am

Some information on the European case:

http://www.publications.parliament.u...05/cmselect/cmtrdind/151/15107.htm
http://europa.eu.int/rapid/pressRele...&aged=0&language=EN&guiLanguage=en

Note - I dont mean this post to be one sided, these were jsut links that I found useful a couple weeks back to refute misconceptions about Airbus loans and aid on another forum.

Arrow

Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:11 am

Quoting Mrocktor (Reply 5):
Brazil has filed as an interested party. By the way, companies don't "battle" at the WTO, countries do.

Yes -- but in this case the companies do all the pushing. Canada filed against Brazil because Bombardier pushed, and Brazil filed against Canada because Embraer pushed. Likewise Boeing and Airbus. Either way it's a big dogfight.

Quoting DAYflyer (Reply 8):
However, if it results in all subsidies for BOTH sides being eliminated, then it has achieved something.

Problem is, WTO rulings are not legally binding. Just look at the U.S. Byrd Amendment. All you gain is a right to retaliate. Canada won the right to retaiate against Brazil, and Brazil won the right to retaliate against Canada. Neither one did. I'm betting that after all the smoke has cleared on this one, neither side backs away from its subsidy programs, and business goes on as normal.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

BlueSky1976

Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:11 am

Ahhh, good old politics... when will everyone realise that one side of the pond has one way of doing business, and the other side does it the other way??? Soo 19th century... Both Airbus and Boeing should stick to just building and marketing planes and selling them and let the market decide which product is best...

But of course, we don't live in a perfect world, so... let's just play cowboys and rednecks and bitch to WTO that someone is not doing things the same way we are doing it... Boeing doesn't need that agenda - they already are building superior planes and the numbers prove it... I guess it is hard for them to swallow, that they do have a viable competitor and a lot of times Airbus is biting into Boeing's turf... oh well... that's the way things work sometimes... Boeing should just accept the fact that there is a duopoly on 150+ seat commercial airplane market and they won't be a number one manufacturer every year, but the pendullum will keep swinging one way or another for the next few years...
Proudly avoiding 737 MAX since 18.11.2020.

Alitalia744

Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:15 am

Quoting BlueSky1976 (Reply 11):
Both Airbus and Boeing should stick to just building and marketing planes and selling them and let the market decide which product is best...

If that was the case we'd only see Boeing aircraft Smile KIDDING!

Seriously, both parties are at fault and both do receive subsidies. It's like two children fighting over who gets to ride the swing first on the playground...

Hopefully, it will result in free-market competition and both fighting for orders!
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

SWISSER

Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:18 am

Just read my signature,
and think about it!!
What time is top of descent?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos