RE: Northwest Replacement Workers Almost Ready

Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:22 am

Northwest Flight Attendants Sue Airline

Courtesy: KSTP-TV

http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/S9470.html?cat=1

JetSOUTHEAST

Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:23 am

I am stepping down from this deal, and throwing the towel in. I am not going to my grave marked as a scab. I have faxed resumes to Colgan Air, Great Lakes, and ASA. Thanks for the information, and good luck to all the current flight attendants at Northwest.

OzarkD9S

Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:28 am

JetSoutheast:

I love your professional attitude. Welcome to my Respected Users List.

-OzarkD9S
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

FriendlySkies

Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:40 am

Somehow this situation seems a lot more tense than the one at UA...UA wasn't actively training replacements. Hope everything works out at NW, the last thing we need is another airline in Chap. 11...

EA CO AS

Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:48 am

So here's the big question: will the pilots honor a mechanics' picketline , or will they cross the line and keep the airline flying?

While NW can get replacement mechanics and even train management for inflight duties if needed, you can't get ATP-rated pilots at the drop of a hat.

IMHO, this is what it all comes down to.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Squid

Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:50 am

jetSOUTHEAST, the choice is yours, however, NWA's costs must be re-aligned one way or another. Additionally, you are in a very good position to gain super seniority once/if the flight attendants begin job actions as well. Really, the party to feel bad for is NWA management and it's shareholders. NWA management has tried, on friendly terms, for quite awhile to get the employee's to understand the situation. I just think NWA is tired of their militant union's who blow everything out of proportion and constantly take them to court. Their unions are the ones standing in the way of NWA being profitable. And every time someone on the management team gets a bonus or receives a chunk of stock, they make a big deal about it, not even acknowledging how vital these people are to the success of the company. The skills these people bring to this company are what sets them apart from the workers and it should be rewarded, as well as praised.

Once NWA has broken all their unions, accept ALPA, I think things will be a lot better at NWA. There will be no more union dribble to spark anger and hatred among the workers. I think in the long run, the work environment will be like JetBlue and Frontier. Everyone vested in the success of NWA, if NWA is successful, all the employee's will benefit. NWA will grow, and prosper, and once making large profits again, possibly even raises for their employee's. Capitalism and supply side economics works for everyone's benefit.

lightsaber

Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:51 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 5):
So here's the big question: will the pilots honor a mechanics' picketline , or will they cross the line and keep the airline flying?

Definately the $64,000 question. Will there be a vote?

NW is in trouble... what's the fix?

Lightsaber
Flu+Covid19 is bad. Consider a flu vaccine, if not for yourself, to protect someone you care about.

EA CO AS

Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:55 am

Quoting Squid (Reply 6):
Their unions are the ones standing in the way of NWA being profitable.

I'm not a "Rah, rah, pro-union" guy...but it occurs to me that NW's management - the same management that NEVER goes along with fare increases - has a pretty big role in standing in the way of profitability.

Remember EA in 1989...the group to watch out for is the pilots. They hold all the cards here.

That's all I'll say.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

N801NW

Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:48 am

NW has always gone along with leisure, advance purchase fare increases. They did not believe that raising prices for their best customers, through an across the board fare hike, ultimately increased revenue for the airline. This is why they joined on some increases and not others.

If you can judge from the rhetoric from both sides, ALPA vs AMFA, I could see the pilots crossing. Even the AFL-CIO's support is tepid at best. They'll honor the picket line (if any) but would be more supportive if the mechanics were still IAM.

LMP737

Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:56 am

Quoting Squid (Reply 6):
Once NWA has broken all their unions, accept ALPA, I think things will be a lot better at NWA. There will be no more union dribble to spark anger and hatred among the workers. I think in the long run, the work environment will be like JetBlue and Frontier.

Then by that logic Eastern should be a profitable airline. And do you have anything to back up yours claims that the work "environment" will be like Jet Blue and Frontier?
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

JoeAirbus

Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:09 am

I am not necessarily the most pro-union individual;but,why put American workers out on the street to save a couple of dollars. Have any of you had to have your auto repaired lately,what rate are you paying per/hr? One poster here, that has possibly never worked on a heavy transport a/c (has respect rating of a big fat zero) should go through the training to get an A&P,get a job as a "scab" & see whether or not we are worth what we are paid. I feel that NO CEO should be paid more than 10X what the lowest paid employee makes per year.  gnasher 

UAL Bagsmasher

Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:49 am

IF UA pilots are any indication, then I think NW pilots will step over the picketers at the fence. The pilots at UA never gave a crap about anyone except themselves.

Derik737

Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:00 am

Quoting Squid (Reply 6):
NWA management has tried, on friendly terms, for quite awhile to get the employee's to understand the situation. I just think NWA is tired of their militant union's who blow everything out of proportion and constantly take them to court.

Please; if Northwest Management had treated and communicated with its employees on "friendly terms" in the past, most likely there currently wouldn't be such a hostile situation with the unions.

In the 90's, employees wanted to recoup concessions that the unions granted to the highly profitable airline (at that time) earlier in the decade (when management threatened bankruptcy). However, management seemed to forget those promises that were made to the employees.

I have a lot of friends who are hard working employee at the red tail. Of course they have a bitter attitude towards NWA management after the way they were treated even though they are aware of the challenges the airline is facing. And it's sad to hear their comments about the airline they were once proud to work for.

My point is if management treats its employees well in the good times, the employees will be there for them in the bad. If they treat them poorly, what do you expect for employee morale?

hammer

Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:08 am

all of the other unions will cross the line and work....IAM leaders have told there people to cross....

JoeAirbus

Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:24 am

I am hoping that the Teamsters will Tell us to decline any work for NW,should know something tomorrow.  no 

StevenUhl777

Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:04 am

AMFA isn't an AFL-CIO union, whereas AFA, ALPA, and the IAM are. I don't think the AFL-CIO unions recognize renegate unions like AMFA.

It will only creat that much more acrimony than is already there if the other groups cross the picket lines.
And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

727LOVER

Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:28 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 8):
Remember EA in 1989...the group to watch out for is the pilots. They hold all the cards here.

You're forgetting someone in the equation........G.W.
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

efohdee

Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:32 am

Yes the pilots can cross the picket line, but they wont fly very far when the plane becomes overdue for maintenance.

avek00

Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:38 am

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 17):
You're forgetting someone in the equation........G.W.

The White House has already stated that they will not intervene with a PEB in this dispute.
Live life to the fullest.

JAFA

Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:45 am

Quoting Squid (Reply 6):
Their unions are the ones standing in the way of NWA being profitable. And every time someone on the management team gets a bonus or receives a chunk of stock, they make a big deal about it, not even acknowledging how vital these people are to the success of the company. The skills these people bring to this company are what sets them apart from the workers and it should be rewarded, as well as praised.

This is the biggest bunch of crap I have ever read. Why does management continue to get huge bonuses and stock? The company is losing record amounts of money. No one should be getting bonuses or stock. Tons of debt and continuing losses- Are these the skills and talent that should be praised and rewarded? When we make money and have a great service reputation then by all means management should be rewarded with bonuses.

Its managements fault that we are known for poor customer service and have the worst labor relations. Lets not forget the broken promises from the last bankruptcy threat.

Its ironic that during the last FA contract the company dragged out negotiations for many many years, thereby keeping the old concessionary payscale in place. We got a new contract and before it even became amendable they were asking for paycuts. Maybe if the company treated employees right we would be more willing to work together.

Management should take a few lessons from Continental and American, and to a lessor extent JetBlue and Southwest. They seemed to have gotten it right

RyanAFAMSP

Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:28 pm

Its funny because someone else on the forum in another thread right now is posting something like "I am not sure I am as excited about aviation anymore." I think it is just a kid grappling with how much more complicated life gets as we all get older. But the bottom line is for a lot of us a ride on a heavy jet at 25 or 35 is as exciting as it was as when we were kids...

But then there are situations like this. Northwest (I am a born and raised Minnesota and have been flying NW since my first flight on a NW 722 in 1981) is forcing their flight attendants to do IOE rides and training flights with the workers who will replace them in a strike. The company is forcing them, ultimately, to supervise workers who are digging their graves. YES Northwest's costs are higher than those of carriers like UAL who have used the C-11 process to raid their suppliers and workers. But at the end of the day we have to have the courage to still say that this sort of behavior by any employer is undignified and unethical. It is one thing to hire a scab. But to force a line worker who has given her or his whole life to the airline to train that scab is just twisted. IT is a first in the history of the airline industry.

All of us on this forum love aviation, but I hope most of us hate seeing these "firsts." If NWA goes through with this, I will never fly them again. As enthusiasts and customers of this industry we have to have the courage to say enough is enough, and to support the people who have worked their whole lives to build this airline. Flying should never come at the expense of the dignity of those workers who make flying possible.

cyberual

Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:45 pm

just curious, will northwest use those intra-asia interpretors as f/a??

searpqx

Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:47 pm

Quoting Avek00 (Reply 19):
The White House has already stated that they will not intervene with a PEB in this dispute.

When did this come out? Last I saw was a statement that "they were watching the situation closely". I've already stated in an earlier thread that I don't expect Bush to intervene, since this would be counter to what management seems to want, but considering how much he's intervened in similar situations, I'm curious to see his reasoning for staying out of it this time.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

dl1011

Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:25 pm

"Their unions are the ones standing in the way of NWA being profitable."

Using that (flawed) logic, Delta should be the MOST profitable of the major airlines since they are the LEAST unionized.

Can't blame those pesky unions for Delta's troubles, looks like management is at fault.

Braniff727

Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:49 pm

The fact of the matter is this. Northwest is doing what it needs to do to survive. If that means hiring replacement workers, so be it. The unions have a choice to work or not to work. If they vote to strike, it is not the fault of NWA. The company has so much money to pay its employees, and that's the way the rest of the world works.

If there's not enough money, people lose jobs and take paycuts. This isn't rocket science.

NWA management is NOT responsible for NWA's poor customer service. It is the people at the front lines yelling at passengers and treating them like crap. I am a HUGE NWA supporter. I think they are a marvelous airline, but I can tell you from working at Disney, as a former union member that the "crap" I dealt with from management was a heck of a lot worse, not to mention horrid pay, and yet I went out every day with a smile on my face to make sure every person paying to be there was happy.
Climbing

nwajetset

Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:06 am

Okay, case in point- NWA to date has not offered us (the FA's) any sort of proposal, suggestion, or anything similar to a solution to the paycut issue. If the management is so wonderful, wouldn't this have been the first course of action? Everyone seems to assume that we have been offered this option, and turned it down. NOT TRUE! We have seen no such offer. Instead, they circumvented this with going behind our backs and hiring replacement workers without any of us having any power to do anything in the matter. So to all the comments that it is out fault for the high labor costs, I say-Bullshit! Most of the FA group realizes that some form of concessions is necessary, and were willing to work with the company, even though it has seriously screwed us before. We don't want this nasty situation, and did not warrant it. We never had any choice in the situation, and now probably never will, because this underhanded shit is supported by the uninformed, like yourselves. You're right, this isn't rocket science, or brain surgery, before someone uses that tired one again. It does, however, help to know the basics, of which it seems few do.

NWA is, quite simply, trying to union bust. It is painfully apparent. The PFAA and AMFA are new unions, and NWA is taking full advantage of it. True, that is capitalism for ya, but at what price? To all of you (apparently the majority) that think this is acceptable-I simply don't understand. Airlines, for the most part, are unionized,, that's the way it is-like it or not.

Imagine at your company there were talks of layoffs and paycuts. Without anyone consulting you to offer a solution, you enter your office Monday morning and find someone at your desk, and you are expected to train them. They are there to replace you. You might see this situation in a different light.

And regarding the comments about the top management officials and the deserved bonuses-You really are out there, aren't you? First of all, responsible for the success of the company? Yeah, right, let's have one stick around longer that 5 years. Secondly, when they take away every amenity, cut as far as they can cut, and tick people off to the point of disgust, who is the one left fielding the complaints? Front line employees. Flight Attendants.

gman3

Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:11 am

Quoting JetSOUTHEAST (Reply 2):
I am stepping down from this deal, and throwing the towel in. I am not going to my grave marked as a scab. I have faxed resumes to Colgan Air, Great Lakes, and ASA. Thanks for the information, and good luck to all the current flight attendants at Northwest

We are hiring at UA. We plan to hire at the end of the year for training classes starting in January.

Braniff727

Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:21 am

Quoting Nwajetset (Reply 26):
Imagine at your company there were talks of layoffs and paycuts. Without anyone consulting you to offer a solution, you enter your office Monday morning and find someone at your desk, and you are expected to train them. They are there to replace you. You might see this situation in a different light.

This happens ALL the time, but in the case of my workplace I don't have the vehicle of contract negotiations. You do. NWA has given an opening proposal to the PFAA, and the PFAA has given a proposal to NWA.

What is being missed here is that the PFAA is not asking for an impasse. The PFAA has not asked for a strike vote. Stop acting like you are going to lose your job. YOU HOLD THE CARDS HERE!

The AMFA shot themselves in the foot by voting for a strike, and agreeing on the impasse. The AMFA represented employees are more easily replaced through outsourcing and replacement workers, where as PFAA represented employees are harder to replace.

To me that says the the "scabs" are more of a threat. Even if the PFAA strikes, which I doubt, NWA would not be able to "maintain the reliability" of their schedule. Do you really think NWA is going to find over 7,000 replacement FA's, train them, get them up to standard, get them uniforms and just have them sit by and wait?

I believe they are going to be the first flight attendants brought online after the new contract is agreed on.

At any rate, I truly sympathize with the Flight Attendants, more so than the mechanics. You are not paid well, specifically the junior FA's. A paycut is not fun. Hang in there, and make sure you keep in touch with the union. Make sure they know where you stand.
Climbing

Jamake1

Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:26 am

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 3):
I am stepping down from this deal, and throwing the towel in. I am not going to my grave marked as a scab. I have faxed resumes to Colgan Air, Great Lakes, and ASA. Thanks for the information, and good luck to all the current flight attendants at Northwest.

Jet Southeast...

I think that you have chosen wisely. After a long dry spell, it appears the airlines are beginning to hire again. I know that United has already announced that recruiting will begin in the 4th quarter of this year and that their Flight Attendant Training Center in Chicago will be opening in the first quarter of 2006. As a long-time airline employee who has worked for 4 U.S. airlines, I can tell you that you do not want the experience of having been a "SCAB" on your resume, inspite of what people like SQUID will tell you. My congratulations to you and best of luck in your future endeavors as a flight attendant.

Respectfully,

Jamake1
Come fly the sun.

gman3

Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:10 am

Yes you don't want to be labelled a scab, even though you only have the best of intentions. As I said, we are legitimately hiring for January at United. We are all happy to have new hires coming and it would be a much better experience!

LMP737

Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:50 am

Quoting Braniff727 (Reply 28):
The AMFA shot themselves in the foot by voting for a strike, and agreeing on the impasse. The AMFA represented employees are more easily replaced through outsourcing and replacement workers, where as PFAA represented employees are harder to replace.

Anybody can be replaced. Whether they are AMT's or flight attendants. It's a lot easier than you seem to think. As for AMFA shooting themselves in the foot by voting to strike what do you expect them to do. Almost half of their membership at NWA has been laid off. The agreement that NWA wants them to sign onto means almost half of those who remain would be laid off as well. If you were that position what would you do? Merely walk yourself off the cliff? Quite frankly I don't think anybody be surprised by the course of action AMFA has decided to take.

If NWA had left out the part about laying off half of them I think they possibly have come to an agreement. However IMO Northwest wanted things to turn out they way they have. For whatever reason I'm not sure.

JetSOUTHEAST

Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:11 am

Well I got a interview offer with Colgan Air, I took it! I am offically turning NWA down. Whether union or not at Colgan, I will be happy to consider the other flight attendants at union airlines "brothers" and "sisters" and not have to be afraid of them. The United deal sounds good, but if I get Colgan, I will wait a few years then apply to an airline in normal fashion.

N501US

Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:44 am

Quoting JetSOUTHEAST (Reply 32):
I will be happy to consider the other flight attendants at union airlines "brothers" and "sisters" and not have to be afraid of them.

What a sad illiustration of how bad things have become within this industry. I don't care whether you are pro or anti union it a is a shame someone would feel afraid to earn a living.
Fools and thieves are well disguised in the temple and the marketplace.....

flashmeister

Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:56 am

Management should take a few lessons from Continental and American, and to a lessor extent JetBlue and Southwest. They seemed to have gotten it right.

While I don't mean to discount the profits that CO and AA deservingly posted this quarter, I think that you got your advice mixed up. Management should absolutely take lessons from jetBlue and Southwest. Managing in the good times for the bad is the name of the game, and no one does it better than Southwest... and as for jetBlue, they have some of the most loyal customers in the industry, something that's never bad to have.

Plus, in terms of labor relations, Southwest is a model citizen. AA has gotten a lot better, too... but Northwest needs to look to Southwest to see how to consistently manage an airline and its labor well.

mirrodie

Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:25 am

Northwest is forcing their flight attendants to do IOE rides and training flights with the workers who will replace them in a strike. The company is forcing them, ultimately, to supervise workers who are digging their graves. YES Northwest's costs are higher than those of carriers like UAL who have used the C-11 process to raid their suppliers and workers. But at the end of the day we have to have the courage to still say that this sort of behavior by any employer is undignified and unethical. It is one thing to hire a scab. But to force a line worker who has given her or his whole life to the airline to train that scab is just twisted. IT is a first in the history of the airline industry.

But is this a first in any industry?

I must say, I was ignorant of the NWA situation until the other day, when a bunch of people started calling another a scab.

I didnt realize the severity of the situation until yesterday. But now I ask, why havent we heard about this in the news?
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

JAFA

Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:59 am

Quoting Flashmeister (Reply 34):
While I don't mean to discount the profits that CO and AA deservingly posted this quarter, I think that you got your advice mixed up. Management should absolutely take lessons from jetBlue and Southwest. Managing in the good times for the bad is the name of the game, and no one does it better than Southwest... and as for jetBlue, they have some of the most loyal customers in the industry, something that's never bad to have.

Plus, in terms of labor relations, Southwest is a model citizen. AA has gotten a lot better, too... but Northwest needs to look to Southwest to see how to consistently manage an airline and its labor well.

NO, I didn't get it mixed up. Lets compare apples to apples. Legacy airlines like NW, CO, and AA have global reach and provide service to small and large markets. So they are more like NW. We should compare our selves to our peers first, then to others. I am not discounting the business practices of LCC's, but point out that they are different.

Airlines like SW, and JetBlue cherry pick high traffic routes, ignore smaller markets, and don't provide global reach. (I am not bashing anyone here).

northwestair

Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:36 am

I'm a IAM worker and I'm not going to honor the AMFA Strike. I believe AMFA is going to be on its own. I do know that our HDQ is asking everyone that is certified to Tow A/C and ride the brakes and also that can operate the APU's to pick a HUB and a Gateway city to go to and help push and Tow A/C's. So this will most likely get pretty nasty next month
I don't care who you fly just as long as you fly

LawnDart

Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:44 pm

Quoting JAFA (Reply 20):
Management should take a few lessons from Continental and American

You've named two legacy carriers that have had some of the most bitter labor/management relations in the industry, both currently and in the past. What lessons should be learned from that?

NW has also had, for many years, terrible relations between labor and management, and they don't seem to have learned any lessons from it at all.

Quoting JAFA (Reply 37):
We should compare our selves to our peers first, then to others. I am not discounting the business practices of LCC's, but point out that they are different.

When it comes to how you treat your employees, an airline is an airline...and frankly a company is a company. A company should make the choice of how to manage its "human RESOURCES" without regard to what business model it's following.

Southwest is a low-cost carrier, and one of the most heavily unionized. They also have some of the highest paid employees in the industry while at the same time, they are noted for their good employee-management relationships. Why? Because they work at it every day. No, they're not perfect, but when strains appear (as in the last F/A negotiations), they work toward a solution.

And is it all management's responsibility? In my opinion, yes, mostly. The Human Resources departments at most major carriers are basically becoming "extensions" of the Finance Departments, and finance's quick fix to any cost problem is to cut wages. Hopefully, HR departments, and upper management, will go out and buy a a couple of books on workforce management and quality processes (W. Edwards Deming is a good start).

In the meantime, NW has a lot of work to do, and they shouldn't be looking to CO or AA for the answers. They should be looking at WN and B6...

BR715-A1-30

Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:51 pm

I agree with jetSoutheast's position. But I am already in training not to become a scab but to get certified in the event NW does LEGITIMATE hiring again, I will be able to apply and know what to expect in their training program. I DO NOT want to cross a picket line, because I feel that doing so would be disrespectful to those who just want a fair work environment. However, I also feel that unions should not DEMAND EVERYTHING. I hope that NW reaches a deal with all of their unions, and we can come in as regular New Hires, and we can fly peacefully, but I will refuse to cross a picket line of my own colleagues. However, if the SENIOR flight attendants and pilots who work for the airline cross, then I will have no choice if they bring us in. But if my colleagues stay back, I STAY BACK. I WILL not disrespect my colleagues. I do not want to be labeled a scab either, but I feel like if I complete training, and get FAA Certified, then if NW does hire again, I can just go through recurrent, or a minimal "Refresh course".
Puhdiddle

LMP737

Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:45 am

BR715:

It sounds like you want to have it both ways. In the event that the flight attendants do strike and NWA calls you up as a replacement then what? If you "refuse" to cross the picket line do you actually think that NWA would ever hire you as a flight attendant at a future date? Lets say that NWA and the flight attendants reach an agreement and they don't go on strike. At some future date NWA "legitimately" hires you. Your fellow flight attendants, the ones you were meant to replace" are going to figure out pretty quick that you once were trained as a replacement. How do you think they are going to react to you?

avek00

Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:55 am

I will shed absolutely zero tears for AMFA - they are one of the few bad apples that gives airline unions a bad name. If the needful comes to pass, it will be long overdue.
Live life to the fullest.

northwestair

Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:57 am

Quoting Avek00 (Reply 42):
I will shed absolutely zero tears for AMFA - they are one of the few bad apples that gives airline unions a bad name. If the needful comes to pass, it will be long overdue.

I am going to have to agree with you on this one.
I don't care who you fly just as long as you fly

EA CO AS

Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:50 am

Quoting Northwestair (Reply 38):
I'm a IAM worker and I'm not going to honor the AMFA Strike. I believe AMFA is going to be on its own

AMFA's hard-nosed tactics against the IAM over the past few years seem to be their undoing here. It appears that no other unions are willing to honor an AMFA strike, removing substantially all leverage from AMFA's position.

NW will win this one.

LMP737

Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:18 am

Quoting Northwestair (Reply 38):
I'm a IAM worker and I'm not going to honor the AMFA Strike. I believe AMFA is going to be on its own.

I guess if the AMT's at NWA were happy with the iam then AMFA would not have displaced them.

ContnlEliteCMH

Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:52 am

Quoting LawnDart (Reply 39):
You've named two legacy carriers that have had some of the most bitter labor/management relations in the industry, both currently and in the past. What lessons should be learned from that?

That good leadership can soothe many wounds, and that all can work for the common good.

I hope that CO and AA both learn about managing in the good times to make it through the bad. It's a lesson that all of us in business, big or small, should learn.

[Edited 2005-07-23 19:53:43]
Christianity. Islam. Hinduism. Anthropogenic Global Warming. All are matters of faith!

727LOVER

Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:55 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 44):
AMFA's hard-nosed tactics against the IAM over the past few years seem to be their undoing here

Can we get an explanation here?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

EA CO AS

Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:15 am

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 47):
Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 44):
AMFA's hard-nosed tactics against the IAM over the past few years seem to be their undoing here

Can we get an explanation here?

AMFA, easily the most rabid union out there, has increased its membership by encouraging employees represented by other unions (usually the IAM) to vote out that union in favor of AMFA's representation. They typically do this by aggressively going after the employees with grandiose promises of far better contracts and telling the membership that the other union is out of touch with the worker, that they're only after union dues whereas AMFA wants better wages and working conditions, etc.

In some cases, formerly IAM-represented workgroups have taken it hook line and sinker and thrown out the IAM in favor of AMFA.

But - since AMFA isn't an AFL-CIO affiliated union, other AFL-CIO unions (like ALPA, TWU, etc) won't honor an AMFA-called work action.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos