Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

RobK
Topic Author

Thomsonfly Quits Doncaster-Dublin Service

Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:37 am

Hi all

I can't see a recent post on the subject looking at the subject headers so excuse me if I've missed it somewhere.

Just seen on the Yorkshire regional TV news that Thomsonfly have quit/are quitting service from Doncaster to Dublin due to the route being "not viable".

I didn't catch the full story but something about Ryanair was mentioned.

Might be of interest to someone.

Cheers,

Rob K  Wink

BMIFlyer

RE: Thomsonfly Quits Doncaster-Dublin Service

Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:42 am

Quoting RobK (Thread starter):
something about Ryanair was mentioned

In other words, Ryanair have undercut Thomsonfly and forced them off the route  Wink

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

vfw614

Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:13 am

Not the first time Ryanair have driven the competition off a DUB route by predatory pricing. Ask bmi baby at EMA and, if memory serves, Mytravellite at BHX, it was the same drama.

Orion737

Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:22 am

I suspect now they have killed off the competition, FR fares will go up as they have the monopoly. Poor passengers loose out and FR wins again

boysteve

Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:28 am

Is this predatory pricing by Ryanair, or just the viability of an airport in question. I still fail to see how Doncaster airport will 'take off' (apologies for the pun).
A new Airport opened in Sheffield less than 10 years ago, and it has been a flop, despite Sheffield being one of England's largest cities. As much as it pains me to say it as I am a proud Yorkshire man, but LBA will never be anything more than a regional airport (poor position), and as Sheffield has flopped, where is the success of Doncaster going to come from?

Crosswind

Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:42 am

Steve,
The critical difference is that Sheffield City had a short runway (the design was based on LCY) and as a result service was only possible using turboprops and some regional jets that could meet the performance requirements.

The airport at Doncaster is already far ahead of what Sheffield City achieved in it's entire existance as a commercial airport - Doncaster's ability to attract low-cost airlines is the key difference between the 2 airports.

Sheffield City Airport should never have been built, Doncaster should have been transformed into a commercial airport 10 years ago instead.

Regards
CROSSWIND

AIHTOURS

Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:15 am

Now Sheffield is a General Aviation Airport! And a good one at that!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jonathan Simmons
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Grant Turnbull

Doncaster will grow I am sure. Ryanair are always pulling fast-ones like this. It's happening every year. They have got a Long-Haul Project from there next summer haven't they at Thomson?

Airtours are doing a Costa Blanca route from Doncaster next year, though I haven't been told if MYT will be flying the route or not. Going on the Airtours brochure, an Airline hasn't been assigned yet. If it works for them, maybe Airtours will start a few more routes! Then we will have Thomson, Airtours, Thomas Cook and Ryanair. I wonder what First Choice's view is on the Airport.

Give it time to get going, it is doing well at the moment. Does anyone have any info on load factors?

AIHTOURS

[Edited 2005-07-30 02:42:49]
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5 User

vfw614

Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:45 am

Remember ? Aer Arann Express served Dublin with a Shed from Sheffield City......

egmcman

Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:24 pm

Quoting Boysteve (Reply 4):
A new Airport opened in Sheffield less than 10 years ago, and it has been a flop, despite Sheffield being one of England's largest cities. As much as it pains me to say it as I am a proud Yorkshire man, but LBA will never be anything more than a regional airport (poor position), and as Sheffield has flopped, where is the success of Doncaster going to come from?

For an airport to succeed it needs to have a large population with disposable income I don't know about the demographics of Sheffield. As said in previous messages it was based on LCY's design it means that the number of types that can operate out of the airport is restricted.

Doncaster's success is more likely to be from low cost carriers and possibly some of the charter carriers.

egmcman

trident2e

Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:53 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 3):
I suspect now they have killed off the competition, FR fares will go up as they have the monopoly. Poor passengers loose out and FR wins again

Ryanair people are many things, but usually not stupid. If they did this they would fall foul of competition laws and would find themselves in Court pretty quickly.

Orion737

Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:40 pm

They sail close to the wind though, often. Remember the Chareloi fiasco and the charging the disabled man case for a wheelchair?

Doncaster dosent have a very wealthy catchment area. This is old Labour territory where there are not too many in the high income bracket. Lots of poorly paid manual/factory workers.

The no-frills and charters to ALC and the like will work ok but I cannot see many business destinations or full service carriers moving in. This isnt an area like LBA which has a lot of business travellers. Doncaster is les wealthy than Leeds and so are its people.

Catatonic

Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:51 pm

I am flying this route this week, I hope they dont cancel, I have to make a connection in DUB. Just called them and they said they are still flying it.
Equally Cursed and Blessed.

[email protected]

Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:08 pm

What you must remember is that businesses will compete and that the fittest will survive. OK, so you have the issue of undercutting the competition, but this is merely a device in the execution of competition. What we are omitting, intentionally or otherwise, is that there might be insufficient demand for two airlines on this route.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

KennyK

Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:10 pm

I flew Doncaster CDG for the Paris airshow and back a few weeks back with Thomsonfly, I was very pleased with the service. Both flights were 80-90% full, but I imagine the load factors on the Dublin service with a 733 and a Ryanair 738 would not justify both services.

I was looking to go to Paris again later in the year and see the service has moved from CDG to ORY, I wonder why?

Catatonic

Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:18 pm

Something I don't understand, they seem to be a lot cheaper than ryanair on this sector, so how come they are backing out?
Equally Cursed and Blessed.

7LBAC111

Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:31 pm

There is nothing on their website saying this either. It is odd.

7LBAC111
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

Orion737

Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:35 pm

Once Ryaniar have the business 'sewn up' particular on flights out of regional airports to Dublin, their prices go high, quite high.

Regularly the early and late flights from LBA-DUB are priced at £49 or £69 each way, exculsive of taxes and they can rise to well over £100 each way, even when booking a couple of weeks in advance.

7LBAC111

Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:40 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 16):
Regularly the early and late flights from LBA-DUB are priced at £49 or £69 each way, exculsive of taxes and they can rise to well over £100 each way, .

But this is supply and demand. Of course the early and late flights will be that bit more. And the fare isn't that expensive.

7LBAC111
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

mainMAN

Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:44 pm

Quoting Egmcman (Reply 8):
For an airport to succeed it needs to have a large population with disposable income I don't know about the demographics of Sheffield

South Yorkshire's not that bad, and improving, demographically. It's not as successful an economy as Gtr Manchester or West Yorkshire, but it still has over a million people. The original KLM uk AMS service was reported to be doing ok, from what I remember.

Sheffield City was a bit of a white elephant though; they should have developed Finningley in the first place.

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 10):
I cannot see many business destinations or full service carriers moving in. This isnt an area like LBA which has a lot of business travellers.

You'd think that maybe EDI, BHD and LCY might be viable from Sheffield or Doncaster.....? Having said that, Doncaster has fast ECML trains to Edinburgh.

[email protected]

Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:13 am

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 17):
But this is supply and demand. Of course the early and late flights will be that bit more.

Aye. To get the cheapest fares you really need to have foresight (i.e. plan and search well before flying, at least 14 days) and be very flexible (i.e. be willing and able to travel Tues-Thurs at any time). If you're flying at peak times, such as over the weekend (which includes Friday and can include a part of Monday), during holidays, etc., then expect higher fares, although exceptional deals can, if you're lucky, be available.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Thomsonfly

Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:22 am

hi
i flew with thomsonfly on the dsa-dub route last thursday and the flight was very busy, i knew that they were pulling the route at the end of the summer to free up the aircraft on more popular routes eg ski etc and has nothing to do with ryanair's position in the airport, although i guess any airline would play competition down a little. i dont think once its over, they will relaunch the doncaster-dublin service although i still believe the major reason for ceasing it is to free an aircraft up

regards
mark

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos