Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CB777
Topic Author

JAT Airways At JFK?

Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:13 am

Yesterday, July 28,2005 I was driving to JFK to pick up my brother, I noticed on one of the signs that shows the airlines and what termianl they are in, well one of the signs said JAT. I didnt know JAT flew to JFK, does anyone know if these are charter flights or scheduled flights?

Thanks
CB777

levg79

RE: JAT Airways At JFK?

Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:43 am

Not according to their website. Maybe someone else could shed more light on the subject.
A mile of runway takes you to the world. A mile of highway takes you a mile.

LUV4JFK

Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:39 am

Currently, JAT has no scheduled or charter service from JFK. At one point, JAT was codesharing with Uzbekistan when they use to fly from JFK to Belgrade. Now, Uzbekistan flies through Riga because JAT was going to start nonstop service this summer to JFK but it never happened. They were going to lease a 767 (-300 I believe) to start services, but I have no idea why this flight never took off.

LUV4JFK
 yes 
John F. Kennedy International Airport: Where America Greets The World.

BEG2IAH

Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:17 pm

LUV4JFK,

You are absolutely right. There will be no JAT at JFK in the next few months at least. It seems that possible problems are not only commercial in nature. There are some political issues that Director General Mr. Starcevic addressed the other day. He said that JAT would use some US based company to do the flights. I have no idea what this means.

BEG2IAH
Flying at the cruising altitude is (mostly) boring. I wish all flights were nothing but endless take offs and landings every 10 minutes or so.

JoKeR

Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:03 pm

Quoting BEG2IAH (Reply 3):
He said that JAT would use some US based company to do the flights. I have no idea what this means.

And another load of diddly squat being announced from BEG...  no 

BEG2IAH

Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:31 pm

JoKeR,

As some people say: I'll believe it when I see it.  Smile

BEG2IAH
Flying at the cruising altitude is (mostly) boring. I wish all flights were nothing but endless take offs and landings every 10 minutes or so.

JoKeR

Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:10 pm

Do you think we are going blind BEG2IAH?  eyepopping  Its either that or JAT's guys have gone deaf!

CB777
Topic Author

Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:17 am

Thats too bad, JAT is not back at JFK, My first flight ever was on JAT DC-10 from JFK-ZAG back in 1987.

CB777

Aleksandar

Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:50 am

I think they should first figure out what they really want and from then, things could get better and JAT might return to JFK.

Also, things have dramaically changed in that market. The easiest thing to do is to lease some 767s. Full coach class now doesn't mean flights will be profitable, so they need passengers in business class and they also need to attract transit passengers from other countries in the region. This is the goal JAT should have and to achieve it, they must work very hard on quality of their product. After reading some comments made by the JAT spokesperson that passengers prefer their national carrier did not only made me laugh but made me realize that people in JAT have no wish to change their way of thinking and THAT seems like the biggest obstacle for the airline.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

tsnamm

Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:17 pm

It seems Uzbekistan Airways code shares with anybody...prior to the JAT code share they code shared w/Air Ukraine and the flight stopped in Kiev before continuing to Tashkent...I remember the JAT DC-10's to BEG and ZAG, it would be nice to have them back again flying their own metal...I hope the political ramifications are not the problem, I'd hope that was done by now....

UN_B732

Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:02 pm

Yeah, I agree.. HY just flies wherever there is no competition trans-atlantic, and then jump when another carrier begins serving.
Aleksandar, extremely-well said about jat. I agree 100%. Did you see that Deloitte. report on their financial situation?
-Mr. X
What now?

JU101

Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:49 am

One thing is clear, Jat Airways should be privatized. Official statements that leave us with more questions rather than answers would not be accepted by investors, nor should they be acceptable for Serbian taxpayers.

Anyone know whether the employment in Jat has been streamlined yet, as was initially announced a few months ago? Perhaps the plan is to wait until after the tourist season? Similar restructuring questions can be asked about the retirement date for the remaining Boeing 727s and DC-9s; livery issues; the Embraer 175 question, etc.

JoKeR

Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:35 am

Quoting JU101 (Reply 11):
Anyone know whether the employment in Jat has been streamlined yet, as was initially announced a few months ago?

It has, I know few people who have taken up the retrenchment package and left the airline.

Aleksandar

Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:10 am

Quoting UN_B732 (Reply 10):
Aleksandar, extremely-well said about jat. I agree 100%. Did you see that Deloitte. report on their financial situation?

Thanks. No, I haven't seen Deloitte report.

Official statements that leave us with more questions rather than answers would not be accepted by investors, nor should they be acceptable for Serbian taxpayers.

Not only that they don't ask Serbian taxpayers, but they're not interested in public opinion (I mean JAT). Average Serbian passenger should use JAT, according to Mrs. Prlja because it is a national product. Does it sound sane? NOT AT ALL!!!

retirement date for the remaining Boeing 727s and DC-9s

727s by the end of summer season and it makes me sad  crying  DC-9 should follow later.

livery issues

Hey, they don't have money for it!!
 box 
Although, at least one "white ghost" could have been painted if the money spent on lavishly celebrating anniversary of first flight to Athens last summer (during Summer Olympics) was spent on planes, but....

Embraer 175 question

I have visited Embraer's website yesterday and JAT is not mentioned at all, so....
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

JoKeR

Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:40 am

Quoting Aleksandar (Reply 13):
Average Serbian passenger should use JAT, according to Mrs. Prlja because it is a national product. Does it sound sane?

Ha ha ha, did she work at Crvena Zastava before.... that sounds like a Yugo sales phrase  dopey 

pilotaydin

Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:53 am

JAT  Smile i miss seeing those 737s
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

Aleksandar

Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:36 am

Quoting JoKeR (Reply 14):
Ha ha ha, did she work at Crvena Zastava before

Probably.... Anyway, like many hot shots there, she definitely lives isolated in a bubble.

Quoting JoKeR (Reply 14):
that sounds like a Yugo sales phrase

Come on, don't tell me you'd choose Mercedes or BMW isntead of almighty Yugo??  biggrin  No matter what you say, I'm sure that you simply love Yugo like we all do  cheerful 
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos