Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SWALoveField
Topic Author

WN Takes Wright Fight Message To TV Ads

Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:26 pm

WN is now sponsoring newscasts on the local NBC affiliate.

WN is also running ads touting the repeal of the Wright Amendment with slick new ads that say "Help us repeal the Wright Amendment and the possibilites (out of Love) are endless."

Then the website is shown. www.setlovefree.com.

I liked the ad. Comments? Has anyone else seen the ad?

(Please we are talking about the ad and not the millions of thoughts on both sides of the Wright Amendment.)

Robb
Dallas, TX

DfwRevolution

RE: WN Takes Wright Fight Message To TV Ads

Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:01 pm

>> I liked the ad. Comments? Has anyone else seen the ad?

I saw it for the first time today when watching the Rangers vs. Blue Jays game on KDFI 27 in the Dallas metroplex.

The commercial was pretty straight-forward and nothing in your face. It basically shows the destinations WN can fly now, appeals to the fact that WN offers fair and flexible prices on all of its routes, then shows all the routes WN could feasably open from DAL with no W.A. in place. WN showed them connecting all their cities which made me think, yeah right, probably won't be that sweeping. But, you get the point. It ended with, take action at SetLoveFree or contact your local lawmaker, the same message you've been getting on WN flights within Texas.

Anywho... didn't think anything of it. I've already written by Congressman and Senators, signed the petition, and let my voice be known  Wink
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

stlgph

Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:15 pm

Quoting SWALoveField (Thread starter):
"Help us repeal the Wright Amendment and the possibilites (out of Love) are endless."

oh, if they only told the complete story.

they should be busted for false advertising.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

dagolden1

Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:26 pm

Quoting STLGph (Reply 2):

they should be busted for false advertising.

So we should assume that you know the 'complete' story?

stlgph

Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:35 pm

they are advertising complete speculation and nothing proves they will ever be able to deliver on their promises.

so, it is false advertising.

seven3seven

Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:29 pm

Quoting STLGph (Reply 4):

You sound pretty ignorant on the subject.
My views are mine alone and are not that of any of my fellow employees, officers, or directors at my company

johnboy

Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:18 pm

Of course they do say the POSSIBILITIES are endless....so I wouldn't think that is false advertising.

Let's just call it "inspiration."

stlgph

Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:58 pm

Quoting Seven3Seven (Reply 5):
You sound pretty ignorant on the subject.

you're a pilot who posts his own security clearance badge on the internet for everyone to see.

i work in television.

hrmm......

Quoting Johnboy (Reply 6):
Of course they do say the POSSIBILITIES are endless....so I wouldn't think that is false advertising.

and they're leading you to believe everything is all positive.

steveswa737

Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:37 pm

Quoting STLGph (Reply 2):

Quoting STLGph (Reply 7):
and they're leading you to believe everything is all positive.

Come on. Do you really think AA tells the complete story in their advertising? AA leads you to believe that the world will come to an end if the Wright Amendment is repealed. WN highlights the positives and AA highlights the negatives. What else would you expect?

Steve

goodmanr

Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:40 pm

Quoting STLGph (Reply 4):
they are advertising complete speculation and nothing proves they will ever be able to deliver on their promises.

That's on the same level as saying AA uses false advertising because they say they know why I fly, when they really have no idea and don't care.
USAirways - Chairmans Gold

cjpark

Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:48 pm

The advertisement is misleading because it does not admit to WN being able to fly anywhere from DFW. But it does suit WN purposes to hide certain of the facts from the public.
"Any airline that wants to serve the [region] can go to DFW today and fly anywhere they want," WN spokesman Ed Stewart

stirling

Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:58 pm

It says the "POSSIBILITIES" are endless. Misleading? How?

So, In the immortal words of Paul Harvey, "What IS, the rest of the story"?

Bottom line, is that the Wright is Pork, added last minute to a bill having nothing to do with Aviation.
Apply the restrictions of Wright fairly across all airports in the Metroplex, not just those in Dallas County, or better yet, remove the barriers to free competition altogether and see what the market dictates.
Delete this User

steveswa737

Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:17 pm

Quoting Cjpark (Reply 10):
The advertisement is misleading because it does not admit to WN being able to fly anywhere from DFW. But it does suit WN purposes to hide certain of the facts from the public.

You only find the ad misleading because you support the Wright Amendment. Just as I could say that the AA ads are misleading because I support the Wright Amendment being repealed. AA is guilty of everything you accuse WN of. Both sides are obviously gonna put a spin on the situation to support their cause. Why do you have a problem with it when WN does is but not when AA does it? hmmmm

Steve

BUFjets

Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:37 pm

This is one of those issues where I see both sides of the argument.

AA played by the law. They built up the DFW hub since the Wright Amendment was in place. If the Wright Amendment had not been in place, they might have chosen to have a bigger presence at LUV. Now, it's too late to switch, since they've built up DFW. AA would be forced to compete head to head with WN while having higher operating costs at DFW.

I can see WN's 'free market' argument also. It certainly would be good for the people of Dallas.

Maybe the landing fees and terminal fees at LUV should be set equal to those at DFW and then repeal the Wright Amendment. That would make a level playing field and also allow fair competition.

typhaerion

Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:40 pm

I don't see this as WN hiding anything. Would it be smart of a politician to campaign with an ad that says "If elected, I will deliver the infrastructure changes that you have been looking for! Oh, and by the way, for all of your information, the other guy can too cause the council is finally backing it, so I guess that this really isn't the key issue."

Not the most germane example, but close. When you advertise, you only tell the most important parts of the story, and that is the most important parts to you, not to your competition.

Back on topic, does anyone have a link to an online version of the ad, cause I would like to see it since I am not from the D/FW region?
For some, the sky is the limit. For us, it is only the beginning... -- Jack Hunt

stlgph

Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:58 pm

Quoting Goodmanr (Reply 9):
That's on the same level as saying AA uses false advertising because they say they know why I fly, when they really have no idea and don't care.

it's two fold and apparently you stopped way before getting to the first.

AA knows why you fly...because you want to go to somewhere. their business is being an airline, which offers a transportation method. there's no other reason for flying somewhere other than wanting a method of transportation.

Quoting SteveSWA737 (Reply 8):
Come on. Do you really think AA tells the complete story in their advertising? AA leads you to believe that the world will come to an end if the Wright Amendment is repealed. WN highlights the positives and AA highlights the negatives. What else would you expect?

what positives, Mr. I-Have-SWA-In-My-Name-So-Therefore-I-Am-Shut-Off-To-Any-Other-Alternative.

i don't see any positives outlined in this advertising.

and what ads have AA placed on television? i haven't heard of any but am open to viewing. if you've got 'em, show 'em.

ding!

Quoting SteveSWA737 (Reply 12):
You only find the ad misleading because you support the Wright Amendment

this has nothing to do with one's own interest or merits, so don't even try to start that debate or discussion or use that for an excuse to make a point which, quite frankly, you don't have.

this had to do with an advertisement.

goodmanr

Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:53 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 15):
AA knows why you fly...because you want to go to somewhere. their business is being an airline, which offers a transportation method. there's no other reason for flying somewhere other than wanting a method of transportation.

But when I get to the gate, do they really know I'm going home to be the tooth fairy, or that I'm leaving messages on the machine for my dog as their ads imply?

Look, don't make this about advertising. I have never flown on WN, and only fly on AA occasionally although I am a heavy traveler, my home airports are DCA/IAD so I don't have any stake in what happens. I just think it's stupid to have an airport under-utilized, and you would too if the situation was the other way around. Open the airport, there is nothing stopping AA from flying there, otherwise, you're just throwing away the money spent building the more convenient airport. DFW is a hell-hole, it's like Dulles and DCA, DCA is WAY better, but having DCA doesn't mean IAD doesn't succeed.

stlgph

Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:27 am

Quoting Goodmanr (Reply 16):
But when I get to the gate, do they really know I'm going home to be the tooth fairy, or that I'm leaving messages on the machine for my dog as their ads imply?

oy. did you not read this the first time?

QUOTING MYSELF--
it's two fold and apparently you stopped way before getting to the first.

Quoting Goodmanr (Reply 16):
Look, don't make this about advertising.

this thread is about the advertisement mentioned in the first posting!!!!!

this answers my reading question.

there are plenty of other threads for you to discuss your thoughts on the Wright Amendment.

if you took the time to read why the Wright Amendment is a good thing and repealing won't change anything, you might understand many points of view.

goodmanr

Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:34 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 17):
if you took the time to read why the Wright Amendment is a good thing and repealing won't change anything, you might understand many points of view.

I've read extensively about the Wright ammendment, and I'm not an idiot. Just because I think the ammendment does more harm than good doesn't mean I'm an idiot. If repealing it won't change anything, as you claim, than why do you care so much?

1MillionFlyer

Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:56 am

Since when is any business doing anything other than promoting their own self interests when advertizing? Every ad is misleading, I guess you think Anna Nicole got so hot again based 100% on Trim Spa - Baby., or that if you buy a sleep number bed you will never have a back ache again, or perhaps you really do beleive McDonalds' new salads are "fun".

it's advertizing...Period.
Golf Foxtrot you are cleared for departure

stlgph

Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:30 am

Quoting Goodmanr (Reply 18):
I've read extensively about the Wright ammendment, and I'm not an idiot. Just because I think the ammendment does more harm than good doesn't mean I'm an idiot.

but it doesn't mean you use spellcheck, either.

Quoting Goodmanr (Reply 18):
If repealing it won't change anything, as you claim, than why do you care so much?

again, see the other threads that have been discussed numerous times on this subject.

this thread was about the advertising mentioned in the first post.

again, please read the first post.

Quoting 1MillionFlyer (Reply 19):
Since when is any business doing anything other than promoting their own self interests when advertizing?

they are not advertising a product. they are advertising issues and not providing a basis or substantiating it.

goodmanr

Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:48 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 20):

Since that is pertinent to the discussion I'm glad you pointed it out. Also, if you take that route, it's "spell check" not "spellcheck". Grow up.

1MillionFlyer

Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:55 am

hey are not advertising a product. they are advertising issues and not providing a basis or substantiating it.

They are advertizing themselves, they sell a product, it is no different than Trim Spa

OPNLguy

Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:17 am

Quoting Goodmanr (Reply 21):

Since that is pertinent to the discussion I'm glad you pointed it out. Also, if you take that route, it's "spell check" not "spellcheck". Grow up.

Funny, but she doesn't seem to capitalize the first words of her sentences either...

Working in the media as she does, she should be -really- familar with the concept of misrepresentation....  Yeah sure
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

luv2fly

Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:36 am

For someone who can not use the shift key to save there life, it is ironic - or should I say moronic that someone would point out spelling mistakes.
You can cut the irony with a knife

1MillionFlyer

Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:39 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 24):
there life

Their life  Smile

I hate the spell check on A.net it is very bad.

STLGph is a guy, not a girl by the way.

luv2fly

Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:41 am

Quoting 1MillionFlyer (Reply 25):
STLGph is a guy, not a girl by the way.

I am almost sure it was/is meant as sarcasm.
You can cut the irony with a knife

stlgph

Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:53 am

Quoting Goodmanr (Reply 21):

actually, if you wish to get technical it can be hyphenated and it can be left at a compound word. a person telling me to grow up who obviously has a hard time with reading comprehension? well, i just want to laugh? shall we laugh together together? 3, 2, 1, go.

Quoting 1MillionFlyer (Reply 22):
They are advertizing themselves, they sell a product, it is no different than Trim Spa

quoting myself-
this is not about advertising a product. this is about adveritising issues and not providing a basis or substantiating it.

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 23):
Funny, but she doesn't seem to capitalize the first words of her sentences either...

Working in the media as she does, she should be -really- familar with the concept of misrepresentation....

yes and if you worked in the business you would realize that you are asked not to provide things in your copy such as capital letters, quotation marks, etc. as it messes up the computer program which takes care of of your copy for you.

and i'm a he.

OPNLguy

Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:02 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 27):
and i'm a he.

I seem to recall your profile previously indicating "female" but in any event, there's still "cuz all the guys just wanna know...5'10 140 br/gr and you can ask for other details. ;p" in your profile. which would tend to confirm....
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

goodmanr

Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:05 am

actually, if you wish to get technical it can be hyphenated and it can be left at a compound word. a person telling me to grow up who obviously has a hard time with reading comprehension? well, i just want to laugh? shall we laugh together together? 3, 2, 1, go.

I have an MBA from Chicago, not trouble with reading comprehension, you're a real jerk.

stlgph

Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:21 am

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 28):
I seem to recall your profile previously indicating "female" but in any event, there's still "cuz all the guys just wanna know...5'10 140 br/gr and you can ask for other details. ;p" in your profile. which would tend to confirm....

sugar, that ain't for females

Quoting Goodmanr (Reply 29):
I have an MBA from Chicago, not trouble with reading comprehension, you're a real jerk.

yes, and i am still applauding right in musical synch with "Rocky Top" which i have blasting in the background. but after all this time you still have yet to tell us what you think of the Southwest ad that Robb (SWALoveField) in Dallas, Texas brought to our attention. he really values your opinion. please share.

1MillionFlyer

Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:37 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 30):
sugar, that ain't for females

Smile  Smile  Smile

this is not about advertising a product. this is about adveritising issues and not providing a basis or substantiating it.

Technically yes, I am putting the white flag up on this one.

Are you for the repeal of the Wright Amendment, and just against the way WN is managing their campaign?

travelin man

Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:45 am

this is about adveritising issues and not providing a basis or substantiating it.

Sure they are. They say that without the Wright Ammendment in place, they *could* fly to all of their other cities from DAL. And that is totally true. They *could*. And, it is likely if the WA is passed, they will fly to at least a substantial number of their "other" cities -- OAK, LAS, PHX, LAX, FLL, MCO, BWI, PHI, MDW, being some of those "other" cities.

Why in the world in an advertisement that they are paying for, would they need to highlight ANY potential negative effects? That's AA's job.

Lt-AWACS

Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:48 am

Interesting that someone from the so called "Ivy League" talks about spelling, yet cannot capitalise (the correct spelling) the first word of sentences.
Would you like some Windex for your glass house kid? Try and keep the 4th grade name calling out and you won't get as many threads locked. As for WA-

Southwest's marketing team is very good, and these ads prove it. It matters not what one thinks personally about Wright, WN is doing a better job of selling their solution than AA is. Joe Q public in the weak attention span USofA can understand the ad, which is what WN wants.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,
Capt-AWACS, I'll take Italian Opera for $500 Alex
Io voglio fica ogni giorni da mia bella moglie!

stlgph

Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:11 am

Quoting Travelin man (Reply 32):
Sure they are. They say that without the Wright Ammendment in place, they *could* fly to all of their other cities from DAL. And that is totally true. They *could*.

they can already do that if they move to Dallas - Ft. Worth. they did not substantiate the ad by talking about why cannot just simply move to Dallas - Ft. Worth

Quoting Lt-AWACS (Reply 33):
Interesting that someone from the so called "Ivy League" talks about spelling, yet cannot capitalise (the correct spelling) the first word of sentences.

oh good, it's Lt. Genius. i knew this would be good when i saw your name pop up.

perhaps, if you also missed thread 17, that i cannot go caps happy because it would hamper my "style." if i started to suddenly write in proper casing, i might spurn a ton of Mary Hart side affects on fellow a.netters. i wouldn't want to cramp my style. if you need help developing your own style, i do have some business cards of some great tailors i can share.

Would you like some Windex for your glass house kid? Try and keep the 4th grade name calling out and you won't get as many threads locked. As for WA-

oh? is this about me calling out the guy who missed the entire point of this thread? (see replies 15, 17, 20, 27). if you ask me, i was actually rather nice about it. so i have no idea where you are getting me calling him a fourth grade name at. he is the one that called himself an idiot. perhaps you two took remedial reading together?

oh, well. "Rocky Top" is coming off of loop now. i shall clap along to "Hollaback Girl" while i celebrate my reading comprehension.

Southwest's marketing team is very good, and these ads prove it.

yes, which is why they are false advertising.

It matters not what one thinks personally about Wright, WN is doing a better job of selling their solution than AA is.

you keep on believing that, Lt., sir!

except the rest of us who realize they are entirely wasting their resources on Joe Q. Public when instead their time and art would be better spent on the politcal arena will sit here and enjoy our happening Ivy League educations and really bitchin' sound systems.

oh! oh! here it comes...

B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Lt-AWACS

Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:27 am

Ah that was beautiful kid. Sadly, no real substance, but hey you get effort for trying and trying to be cute.

You contradict yourself again however. Southwest doesn't need to talk about DFW to make their point. Much like Pepsi, "the choice of a new generation" doesn't need to talk about Coke being the only beverage available in some restaurants. Pepsi can still claim to be the best-prove them wrong. Southwest can claim to serve more cities from DAL is WA is removed-prove them wrong.

But to recap (no pun intended) your style is to not capitalise correctly, but to try and call others out. I see, well maybe other posters have their own styles also-or is that not allowed? Either way it ads nothing to the debate at hand. Or are you the only kid who can try and have style? As for tailors in St Louis, I do know a few, and even got some French cuffs fixed on my last visit. If you don't know what those are PM me and I will explain it.

WN is touting one side of an argument, whereas AA is touting the other-much like a political debate. And WN is doing a better job. And to be honest CO is doing best by flying to both airports now and taking all the connecting Int'l traffic from DAL now. Again, WN's ads are not false, just one sided which is easily allowed under FCC rules.

I will continue to believe WN is doing better at selling their side, because the public, newsmedia, and this board tell me.

Capt-AWACS, Shawarmas for all my friends

stlgph

Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:44 am

Quoting Lt-AWACS (Reply 35):
Ah that was beautiful kid. Sadly, no real substance, but hey you get effort for trying and trying to be cute.

awww, too bad i am cute and you try -way- too hard here.

but alas, let's make this short and simple.

you are wrong. and i am right.

because simply....

Southwest doesn't need to talk about DFW to make their point.

DFW has numerous empty gates. many taxpayers know they spent good money supporting the construction of this airport. many taxpayers would like to know why Southwest just can't move over and fill those empty gates instead of having to pay more taxes to subsidize for more construction at Love Field, when there are already ample facilities available.

And WN is doing a better job.

at what? trying to get the general public to believe them?

again, this has nothing to do with the general public of north texas. we are talking about Congress here. much MUCH bigger scheme of things.

I will continue to believe WN is doing better at selling their side, because the public, newsmedia, and this board tell me.

well, Lt. Dad, that explains everything.

Lt-AWACS

Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:58 am

I don't need to be cute, nor do I try, as it is an internet forum- and not that it means cute, but I'll take the 34 respect rating to the 11 when it comes to the "cute" factor.

As for you being "right", well you do not prove that anywhere. I know you want to be correct, and I am sure you hate WN, but that is your downfall. I don't like WN, but I can be, what most here call, "objective" when it comes to viewing the advertisement.

Quoting STLGph (Reply 36):
DFW has numerous empty gates. many taxpayers know they spent good money supporting the construction of this airport. many taxpayers would like to know why Southwest just can't move over and fill those empty gates instead of having to pay more taxes to subsidize for more construction at Love Field, when there are already ample facilities available.

All that is fine and dandy, but has nothing to do with what WN is saying, like I and others noted. WN has no legal obligation to move to DFW, and CO has no obligation to stop serving both. Nothing is stopping AA from coming back to DAL, and nothing is stopping Mesa from going back to FTW.

at what? trying to get the general public to believe them?

Yes, exactly, that is their current target audience. Sway the people, then the politicians will follow. AA could do the same, but they are trying the "fear" tactic re: their small town service argument.

well, Lt. Dad, that explains everything.

Well I am glad kid, though it is Capt since you are so worried about facts, soon to be Mister. I am glad the media editorials, polls, and public postings are getting through.

Capt-AWACS, Houston-First word spoken from the moon

1MillionFlyer

Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:08 am

Quoting Lt-AWACS (Reply 37):
As for you being "right", well you do not prove that anywhere. I know you want to be correct, and I am sure you hate WN, but that is your downfall. I don't like WN, but I can be, what most here call, "objective" when it comes to viewing the advertisement.

It is what it is, everyone including STLGph can express an opinion here. Also, I find it funny that many people slam grammar here when it is an aviation website, not an English appreciation recitation website

ScottB

Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:09 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 34):
i might spurn a ton of Mary Hart side affects on fellow a.netters

Most folks with an Ivy League education know the difference between "affect" and "effect" and why your usage is incorrect here. Well, unless you went somewhere like Cornell, the FSU of the Ivies.

this is not about advertising a product. this is about adveritising issues

For someone who complains about others not bothering to proofread or check spelling, I find it amusing that you have two spellings of "advertising" in the same paragraph.

Quoting STLGph (Reply 34):
i cannot go caps happy because it would hamper my "style."

I guess your "style" doesn't include complete sentences in many cases, either. I am definitely guessing "Cornell graduate."

In any case, it is not Southwest's responsibility to say, "We could actually fly to all these places out of D/FW, too, but we choose not to." By STLGph's logic, AA should be required to say something like "We know why you fly, but all of our competitors know why you fly, too."

stlgph

Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:12 am

but I'll take the 34 respect rating to the 11 when it comes to the "cute" factor.

hey, if you need an internet chat room to boost your ego, you go on with your bad self! i'll just take having to watching myself on television.

le *sigh*

All that is fine and dandy, but has nothing to do with what WN is saying, like I and others noted. WN has no legal obligation to move to DFW, and CO has no obligation to stop serving both. Nothing is stopping AA from coming back to DAL, and nothing is stopping Mesa from going back to FTW.

who cares? Joe Q. Public wants to know why the politicians might raise his taxes to build more airport when the one they built 20 years ago has a bunch of empty gates.

Yes, exactly, that is their current target audience. Sway the people, then the politicians will follow. AA could do the same, but they are trying the "fear" tactic re: their small town service argument.

well, Lt. Miraculous, i am not sure if you heard this or not, but the Wright Amendment was passed by an act of Congress. you can sway the people of Dallas all you want to, but politicians sure like to protect their really big investments, like....really honkin' huge airports such as Dallas - Ft. Worth, for example.

development and security of public works comes first. this attitude helped spawned the TIF development movement.

Well I am glad kid, though it is Capt since you are so worried about facts, soon to be Mister. I am glad the media editorials, polls, and public postings are getting through.

will you send me an autographed pair of your Hanes underwear promotional tie-in? i'll wear them every night and streak down the stairs with my Fantastic Four bed sheets caped around my back.

Lt-AWACS

Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:31 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 40):
hey, if you need an internet chat room to boost your ego, you go on with your bad self! I'll just take having to watching myself on television.

le *sigh

No, I actually noted I didn't care, but you seemed to say you had to prove your style online-something no one else cares about-other than the fact it is incorrect word usage-something you called others out on. But it is a digressing line, I agree. TV? Funny I was on TV last Friday, it didn't do much for me, nor have any of my other appearances. I'm glad it floats your boat. Which St Louis channel is it, I'll watch next time?

who cares? Joe Q. Public wants to know why the politicians might raise his taxes to build more airport when the one they built 20 years ago has a bunch of empty gates.

No extra taxes are required for WN to continue a flight from DAL-TUL to MCI or STL. As for the City of Dallas taxpayers, let them vote on it

As for your congress point: The courts (that third branch of gov't) said WN could fly from DAL. Now, since congress constrained some of that, and congress is elected by the people, all WN has to do is sway the public, which will then lead to the politicos. I've worked enough political camps to see it first hand-even with all of AA's lobby money.

will you send me an autographed pair of your Hanes underwear promotional tie-in? i'll wear them every night and streak down the stairs with my Fantastic Four bed sheets caped around my back.

THat doesn't surprise me kid. You tend to ignore the parts of posts that counter your point, and try and tangent out on these things. Your standard ops. Being you are short, this kind of proves the old Napoleon "thing". Thanks for sharing your bedtime mannerisms with us. The folks at WN sometimes have parties in Pajamas, and even that gets good press. More kudos to their marketing dept. I will keep flying CO out of DAL though.

Capt-AWACS, Life is not a Parker Posey movie

stirling

Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:32 am

History Lesson.
Way back, American Airlines flew things like the 707, 747, DC-10 to name a few....except to DFW. The DFW hub became a 727/S80 hub.
Why?
DFW, then, as now, is an expensive place to operate. The heavy metal was sent other places, or utilized to DFW when the yield justified the higher landing fees.

Because empty gates exist at DFW, Southwest should be forced to utilize them? What country is this? I seem to remember something about a free market economy.

But this thread is about advertising....

The pro-Wright folks are saying it is misleading? Because?

Is it because Southwest states the possibilities of flying to many more places?
And the argument is that; they will not?
Does anyone (the non-av public) really think; seriously, that Southwest will instantly be able to fly to every airport in the country once Wright is appealed?
Is that was this is all about?
Oh brother........

It is a lot better than AA saying that repealing the Wright will lead to increased noise and pollution and congestion and cancer in laboratory rats....

Instead, here is a specific instance of AA twisting the truth for their own purposes (which is OK, it's a part of the game), chosen at random, and not necessarily pertitent to the specific advertisement, but a public statement all the same:

American Airlines Press Release:
"The campaign is built around American's nearly eight decades of flying passengers around the world..."

I never knew American had around the world service?
So they've been flying internationally since 1925?
Wait, 8 decades is 90 years, so they've been flying across the borders and oceans of the United States since 1915?
But we all know this is not true, and we let it pass, since we accept t is a product of the marketing department hyperbole machine....some stuff just isn't meant to make sense. Especially anything the media does....TELEVISION and related industry included.

Bottom-line: Everything marketing is a finite beam of truth condensed into one concentrated dose to maximize retention by the fickle, and easily distracted human brain. And sometimes in such pursuits, information we all accept as truth, becomes distorted into something else....every business in the business of attracting new business does it.
It was my profession for 20 years, 1 month, and 3 days. Therefore I have no idea what I am talking about.
Delete this User

stlgph

Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:15 am

Quoting Lt-AWACS (Reply 41):
No extra taxes are required for WN to continue a flight from DAL-TUL to MCI or STL. As for the City of Dallas taxpayers, let them vote on it

well that just proves what little you truly do know. and yes, i am still right. see Boeing7E7 for more information.

Stirling, buddy!

you were doing so good until we got to this...

Quoting Stirling (Reply 42):
Wait, 8 decades is 90 years

it is?

Is that was this is all about?
Oh brother........

answered this earlier. scroll up.

Because empty gates exist at DFW, Southwest should be forced to utilize them? What country is this? I seem to remember something about a free market economy.

answered this earlier. scroll up.

Lt-AWACS

Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:44 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 43):
well that just proves what little you truly do know. and yes, i am still right. see Boeing7E7 for more information.

Good ignore 9/10ths of the thread and that is all you can try and counter. I've read 7E7s somewhat "biased" posts on other threads, and I am well aware of the cost structures of Texas city's tax codes. Feel free to actually post something to prove you sentence, or even discuss something versus referencing someone else on another thread , or discuss why you do not want the Residents of the City of Dallas to vote on the "tax" issue-- as you call it. After all the USA is a democracy, at least it was when I left.

Of course none of that matters to the ad discussion, which it seems these tangents prove more and more WN is winning, because the "pro" WA folks seem to be on defence all of a sudden.

Capt-AWACS, Not all pilots are alcoholics, we don't go to meetings

goodmanr

Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:33 am

nteresting that someone from the so called "Ivy League" talks about spelling, yet cannot capitalise (the correct spelling) the first word of sentences.
Would you like some Windex for your glass house kid? Try and keep the 4th grade name calling out and you won't get as many threads locked.

Couldn't agree more.

Quoting ScottB (Reply 39):

Most folks with an Ivy League education know the difference between "affect" and "effect" and why your usage is incorrect here. Well, unless you went somewhere like Cornell, the FSU of the Ivies.

Hey STLgph, why don't you respond to this one buddy?? If you can tell me I have reading comprehension problems, what's your defense here? Do you think it's suddenly ok for you to use poor english, but not me? You're a jerk.

stlgph

Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:48 am

Quoting Lt-AWACS (Reply 44):
Good ignore 9/10ths of the thread and that is all you can try and counter

yes. i ignored 9/10ths of what you wrote because it wasn't worth anything.

duh

i read, i didn't even chuckle. and that is a shame. all you want to do is sit here, write a big huge dissertation you think is brilliant when, like i pointed out, you don't know what you're talking about. and...you still dont.

just so you know i am taking after you and after i finish writing this, i will go flex my muscles and stand in front of the mirror and scream "WHO IS THE USA? I AM THE USA!"

Quoting Lt-AWACS (Reply 44):
Of course none of that matters to the ad discussion, which it seems these tangents prove more and more WN is winning, because the "pro" WA folks seem to be on defence all of a sudden.

if Southwest Airlines was winning, there wouldn't be a Wright Amendment right now.

oh, and since you're so gun happy about it. d-e-f-e-n-s-e

Quoting Goodmanr (Reply 45):
Couldn't agree more.

you are the one who called yourself an idiot. i never implied anything such. scroll up.

I guess your "style" doesn't include complete sentences in many cases, either. I am definitely guessing "Cornell graduate."

actually, University of California -- Boston

For someone who complains about others not bothering to proofread or check spelling, I find it amusing that you have two spellings of "advertising" in the same paragraph.

ooh! i planted a few errors here and there at the suggestion of another poster from this thread in an IM was hoping Goodmanr would catch that first.
i was right. he didn't.

In any case, it is not Southwest's responsibility to say, "We could actually fly to all these places out of D/FW, too, but we choose not to."

actually, that would be be truth in advertising. and it is their responsbility, ethically.

actually it's been chronicalized as Mary Hart side affects. for the verbage.
nice try though.

Lt-AWACS

Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:06 pm

Quoting STLGph (Reply 46):
yes. i ignored 9/10ths of what you wrote because it wasn't worth anything.

duh

i read, i didn't even chuckle. and that is a shame. all you want to do is sit here, write a big huge dissertation you think is brilliant when, like i pointed out, you don't know what you're talking about. and...you still dont.

just so you know i am taking after you and after i finish writing this, i will go flex my muscles and stand in front of the mirror and scream "WHO IS THE USA? I AM THE USA!"

You are the stereotypical American aren't you kid, kind of sad.
Basically the standard response I expected, you have no response and no counter to any points I listed. To be expected- you are kind of like the little boy who cried wolf here. Again if you are so "right" just list your basic premise, and I don't mean a vague reference to someone else's comments on another thread.

if Southwest Airlines was winning, there wouldn't be a Wright Amendment right now.

oh, and since you're so gun happy about it. d-e-f-e-n-s-e

Actually WN has only been fighting it for the last few months, so they have done wonders in that time, I am surprised (well not really) that you didn't know that.

And it is spelled "defence" unless you are an uncultured guy from flyover country USA. Stick to the argument on ads and not on ripping people's syntax and spelling, when you cannot capitalise "I".

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns
Capt-AWACS, Actions speak louder than bumperstickers

stlgph

Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:21 pm

Quoting Lt-AWACS (Reply 47):
Again if you are so "right" just list your basic premise, and I don't mean a vague reference to someone else's comments on another thread.

well, Lt. Education, this thread is about advertising. see the first post. Robb, from Dallas, -still- cares for YOUR comments!

the other threads on this forum that are about the Wright Amendment...and you will spin yourself silly...because they -ARE- about the Wright Amendment.

TOTALLY.

NEW.

(AND FETCH!)

CONCEPT.

Actually WN has only been fighting it for the last few months, so they have done wonders in that time, I am surprised (well not really) that you didn't know that.

wow. north texas. dallas. wright amendement. congress. politics. me. missouri.

you have no response and no counter to any points I listed.

scroll up. i took care of anything you had to say a loooooooooong time ago.

And it is spelled "defence" unless you are an uncultured guy from flyover country USA

i think it's cute how you pretend to be all world like. i just wanna sit here and listen to Sarah Brightman's Harem album and light lots of candles. i cannot wait to for the autographed underoos. i vow to wear them, my sheet cape, and a disguise mask and fight crime until the bitter end.

goodmanr

Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:22 pm

ooh! i planted a few errors here and there at the suggestion of another poster from this thread in an IM was hoping Goodmanr would catch that first.
i was right. he didn't.

Didn't read it until now, I did things like eat dinner, walk the dog, and not spend my night checking peoples spelling. I'm sure lots of other users are concerned with whether I can tell the difference between an i and a c, you're a loser and an a--, I'm done here and with you.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos