Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AirOrange
Topic Author

Airliner Cockpit Visit Rare Or Still Possible?

Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:26 pm

Last month, on route to one of my customers, I asked the stewardess if I could visit the cockpit of the Airbus A340-300 I was travelling with. The FA told me that it is impossible due to strict safety regulations. But with a big smile on my face, telling that it was my birthday (and it was!), that I'm reliable and after presenting her my passport a while later I was invited to have a look in the cockpit of the plane which was at cruising altitude. Afterwards the stewardess presented me her big smile, 1 kiss and a big glass of champagne as a birthday gift. Jolly kind airline!!

hawaijahaz

RE: Airliner Cockpit Visit Rare Or Still Possible?

Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:29 pm

You're lucky. I didn't know that airlines still offered flight deck visits during flight. I know that you can visit the cockpit after landing or before takeoff.

Lucky...flight deck visit + a kiss + champaign...what more could you want?

PG

Udo

Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:29 pm

Yes, it is definitely possible. Just depends on the airline which you are flying - and where you are cruising.  Wink

Regards
Udo

skyline

Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:31 pm

Which carrier did you fly with? I'll go for them on my next birthday. Sorry it's not for the cockpit visiting, but for the second part of your experience.  Smile  Smile

Rotate

Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:34 pm

dont know, if possibel during flight - but after or before flight very often possibel.
1 trick is to tell the FA to ask the captain if possibel or not ...

robin

FlyGuyClt

Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:36 pm

Quoting Skyline (Reply 3):
Which carrier did you fly with? I'll go for them on my next birthday. Sorry it's not for the cockpit visiting, but for the second part of your experience.

Great humor !

Unfortunately with U.S. Based airlines this is only allowed at the gate. For the most part just ask the Purser or Lead Flight Attendant. You should be more then welcome up there on the ground. Just 2 months ago the Captain took a picture of a 25 year anniversary couple in the flight deck on the ground with his hat on and the F/O's. She got the Captain's hat!

Safe Flying  Smile

AirOrange
Topic Author

Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:39 pm

Skyline, because I felt it was a very exceptional occasion I cannot unveil the airline's name. Maybe the crew did not follow exact the airline's safety rules...

Anyway it was a flag carrier.

philb

Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:47 pm

In US airspace and on US carriers anywhere, cockpit visits are banned to non crew unless prior written authorisation and clearance has been given.

Non US airlines operating outside US airspace will operate under their government's rules and those of the company. Within those rules it is at the discretion of the captain.

Starlionblue

Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:55 pm

Quoting Hawaijahaz (Reply 1):
You're lucky. I didn't know that airlines still offered flight deck visits during flight. I know that you can visit the cockpit after landing or before takeoff.

As has been said, US regs don't allow it. But I have been on Malmö Aviation and SAS on the flight deck for landing. On the former even after 9/11.

jtamu97

Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:00 am

Yep, no way you will get in any cockpit of any US airline in flight and also most international carries operating to and from the US as well. My last visit was last July on an AA 757 at St. Thomas. It was the end of my Honeymoon and the captain took a picture of my wife and I sitting in the cockpit and even let her wear his hat. Thought that was pretty cool. My mother, who can care less about planes was able to sit in the cockpit of an Air New Zealand 747 post 9/11 upon landing in Auckland...NO FAIR!!

FLYiCRJ

Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:01 am

Quoting AirOrange (Thread starter):
I was invited to have a look in the cockpit of the plane which was at cruising altitude

Buddy you are extremely lucky, here in the states. You are only allowed before take-off...which is pushing it, most airlines say NO. And after we have pulled into the gate and the engines have completely shut down, thats the only time I have been allowed in the cockpit. Maybe next I will fly on my birthday...and get the jumpseat!!

lamedianaranja

Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:30 am

I mentioned it in another post: my son flew from CCS to PMV on Laser Airlines last Thursday, and as the captain was an old friend, he flew the entire trip in the cockpit. It is against regulations, but what the h...! Kid had the trip of his life and is more sure than ever he wants to become a pilot.

The airline I work for takes only its own employees in possession of flight safety certificates on the cockpit jumpseat. But that rules gets bended every once so often too. I'm groundstaff and had a very nice flight in the cockpit of a Fokker50 the other day!

calpilot

Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:38 am

I've said this before, if you would like to visit my cockpit or that of most of my peers, simple ask the F/A at the front of the cabin if you can visit the cockpit to have a look before or after the flight. Try to make this request early enough that it does not disrupt our checklists and preflight.

If the F/A at CO tells you that it is not allowed, they are wrong, but she/he has the power at that moment, unless you can catch the eye of a pilot.

Starlionblue

Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:45 am

Quoting FLYiCRJ (Reply 10):

Buddy you are extremely lucky, here in the states. You are only allowed before take-off...which is pushing it, most airlines say NO.

Actually I have found this is a function of time. If there is a ground delay at the gate there is normally no problem. The pilots are bored anyway. Also if it's a long haul flight and boarding is taking a long time they don't normally mind. But if they're on a tight turnaround, forget it. On my last LHR-JFK with AA, the Captain told me to have a seat in the F/O seat and ask away. "Feel the controls!" He proceeded to show me the electrical system, switching on an off ground power feeds and showing how the display changed. Thanks!

There's also psychology to the whole thing. Don't say to the F/A: "Could you please ask the Captain...". This reduces him/her to a messenger. Ask the F/A directly.

legacy135

Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:15 am

If you are a crew member or involved in aviation that much, that you can be a help in a situation so called "able bodied persons" are needed, it is a nice behavior to introduce your self to the Purser while boarding the aircraft. Crews do appreciate to know if there is somebody that could be seated aside a difficult passenger or someone who could open an emergency exit if needed.
Sure, it also can be helpful to open you the cockpit door.....  Wink

ManuCH

Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:21 am

I was allowed to jump-seat fly on a LUG-GVA flight from cruise altitude to landing on a C9 Dash8-300 here in Switzerland. I just asked the F/A and a minute later I was sitting in the cockpit. And it was after 9/11. So there must be exceptions... but when I tried doing the same on a Swiss flight, it was denied. I didn't even bother to ask on AA  Smile.

goldenargosy

Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:04 am

2 weeks ago I was flying ORD-LGA on UA with 8 other business associates. Due to weather or some other double speak we couldn't take off and they pulled the plane over into a holding pen and kept us there for 2 and a half hours before finally taking off. One of my associates is an absolutely knock-out drop-dead gorgeous woman. Well into the first hour of waiting this young captain comes out into the cabin, starts chatting it up with her and invites her up into the cockpit. She was up there for a good long time and she comes back all giggles and said he showed her everything. I didn't ask any more questions. So, in answer to the question of your thread, it is still possible if you look worthy enough to the young captain.

Tornado82

Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:29 am

Quoting GoldenArgosy (Reply 16):
She was up there for a good long time and she comes back all giggles and said he showed her everything. I didn't ask any more questions. So, in answer to the question of your thread, it is still possible if you look worthy enough to the young captain.

"showed her everything," eh??  Wink The question might be what did she have to show him. (I'm kidding folks, don't flame me for that!)

As for looking worthy enough to the young captain... I need to find a flight with a female captain then, and the only flight I ever had with one of those was an Air Midwest B1900 from PIT-MGW. I can fly the King Air on MS Flight Sim to see what one of those cockpits looks like (surprisingly accurate too!).

jetdeltamsy

Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:20 pm

Quoting AirOrange (Thread starter):
But with a big smile on my face, telling that it was my birthday (and it was!), that I'm reliable

And what? Terrorists don't smile "big"? I shutter to think what company would allow such a thing.

What i can say with 100% certainty is that such a secruity breach would never happen on Delta.

777Purser

Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:23 pm

LOL!!

No way Jose...its a different world now...cabin visits are ok for children...briefly...before or after flight. At any other time anyone attempting to go near the cockpit will be jumped and strapped to their seat!! HAHHAAA!!!

ACDC8

Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:40 pm

Quoting Jetdeltamsy (Reply 18):
And what? Terrorists don't smile "big"? I shutter to think what company would allow such a thing.

I shutter at companies who treat everyone as a possible suspect and treat them accordingly.

What i can say with 100% certainty is that such a secruity breach would never happen on Delta.

Letting people take a peek at the flight deck, giving kids an oppurtunity to dream is a security breach? Oh please ....  Yeah sure

ZKSUJ

Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:24 pm

You are very lucky. I would expect it is very very very rare, especially for those going into or within the USA.

mattdavies1988

Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:44 pm

I have had one cockpit visit since 9/11 and that was on a VLM flight. However I was not allowed inside the cockpit, but was allowed to stand in the door way, plus a male flight attendant had to be present!

All over airlines that I have flown on since have said no!

Matt

Badmax

Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:55 am

It's still possible.

The best airline to get cockpit access is germania. I had my first jumpseat ride with them. The Date: 12!!! September 2004 it was still no problem. When i entered the plane the F/A asked me about my passport and just after takeoff i entered the flightdeck and enjoyd the ride.

From this Date on, i had many Jumpseat rides. The best one was with an old retired LH Captain who fly's now for an LCC. He was this sort of captain you imagine when you think about the old times. A little bit sexistic, with a big knowledge.  Smile

So my Oppinion is: Forget the Main Carriers, i've tried it a few times on LH, AB and LX flights, there was no way. You can have the best small talks with them but only on ground.

Try it on flights with airlines who haven't more than 15 Planes. In maybe 50% its no problem. My favourites are Germania and Intersky. I had a few rides with them and the crews are still very nice. BTW. every Germania Captain who invited me was from South Europe and could'nt speak german  Smile.

Greatz from Black Forest.

Sorry for my english.  Smile

jetboyflyhi

Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:14 pm

Current FAR'S (Federal Aviation Regulations) admit no passengers in the flight deck after the main cabin door is closed. A placard is posted on the flight deck door and cabin crew are to inform pax by an announcment over the PA system. This is current in the US. FLY SAFE!

NZ107

Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:40 pm

I tried when I went on CX to HKG from AKL (A343).. I was in Business class and only got to talk to them before and after the flight. If I had went before 9/11 or if it hadn't happened, I would have been able to sit in the jumpseat for landing! The 2nd officer said that it was his duty to shoot anyone trying to trespass into the cockpit (no guesses why I didn't try..). They were extremely nice though and allowed me to have a tour of it after we landed Big grin.

I've had 2 previous cockpit journeys: one in a CX 742 when I was like 3 and another on the 2nd to last day of the Sydney Olympics (Air NZ 762 back to AKL). I was invited to the cockpit before we departed and was lucky enough to get a glimpse of the MASSIVE grounds and the Olympic Stadium from up high! It seemed big from the ground but bigger from the plane!

ilgrancapo

Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:55 pm

Few months ago, when I went to Jamaica from Spain to spend my holidays, I visit the cockpit of an Airbus A310-300 of Air Plus Comet. Only I ask for the stewardess and without any problem I saw and seated it speaking little time (5 minuts) with the captain. Big grin

HAWK21M

Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:36 pm

Out here After landings A possibility.
regds
MEL

karan69

Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:53 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 27):
Out here After landings A possibility

Exactly as i was very lucky to have been granted permission to visit the cockpit on both my flights on AI and 9W, without any hasseles.
All this with the picture in my trip report.
Jet Airways 343/AI 310 Buss Class, Security? [48 Pics] (by Karan69 Aug 1 2005 in Trip Reports)

aviationwiz

Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:40 am

I just love it when people like you say this: *blank* would never happen on *insert airline name here*

It could easily happen on any airline. Most people who say the above also happen to be extreme fans, or fanboys of the said airline, for example, having the airline code or name in their username, enough said.

zotan

Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:24 pm

Ive had no problem visiting the cockpit after a flight here in the US. (Being 16 probably helps) Arent inflight visits still allowed on AF?

satx

Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:49 pm

Quoting FlyGuyClt (Reply 5):

Unfortunately with U.S. Based airlines this is only allowed at the gate. For the most part just ask the Purser or Lead Flight Attendant.

50% fact, 50% opinion. US Airlines will not let you into the cockpit during flight even if both active pilots and any reserve pilots are dead. However, I would suggest you avoid the FA's if at all possible. They have to deal with pax day-in and day-out. Getting you into the cockpit is neither part of their job nor apparently any fun to most of them. Pilots are your best bet IMO and if the first crew tells you to go screw yourself you can always ask the next flight crew. I have a post 9-11 photo to prove it, although there is nothing in the photo itself to show that it's after 9-11.

Edited to add: My scary post detailing how to circumnavigate nonexistent airline security regulations was brought to you in response to a couple American wimps from How Are Cockpit Visits Arranged? (by Toering Aug 6 2005 in Civil Aviation)

[Edited 2005-08-07 05:56:18]

ajaaron

Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:26 am

Post 9/11 I was allowed in the jump seat for the full flight from St. Lucia to Barbados on a Dash-8 with LIAT. I asked the F/A when we were on the ground, the Captain said I could come forward, an invited me to sit in the jump seat. I wasn't sure if it was only for 5 min while we were on the ground or not. Within a minute, the F/A came and asked the skipper if I am coming back the the cabin as an airline employee needed the last seat in the cabin. Skipper said....

yeah - he's staying with us for the flight! - GREAT.

Be aware though, I did wave my passport at the capt. and also showed him my UK PPL. He did give it a good thorough look, and I suppose I couldn;t have done it without my pilot's licence.

THen on the same day, on the way from BARBADOS to LHR tried to do the same on the A430 with BWIA. Didn't quite work, but over the atlantic, after pestering F/A a few times, Capt. did let me in for around 10 min or so. He did tell me he would never do this in UK or US airspace! I asked if it was possible to stay for landing - that was pushing my luck!

I suggest airlines in the west wont entertain such a thing, but smaller airlines, from nations that are known for their warmth, would perhaps stand a better chance. Heard that Jamaican airlines might also allow it if you catch the crew in a good mood!

Good luck.

TheRedBaron

Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:40 am

Quoting Hawaijahaz (Reply 1):
Lucky...flight deck visit + a kiss + champaign...what more could you want?

Joining the mile high club perhaps?  Wink

After 9/11 I havent even ask, prior to that I used to get in there all the time (just check my signature), I have had very interesting conversation swith pilots (maybe is because those guys are bored to death and have heard all kind of bull in all those years), anyways Ill try it on my next MEX-CUN flight but I dont think they will let me...

did you know that Intl flights US bound they have to put the cart as a barricade when the pilot goes to the John and inform the F/A?, if tehy dont comply they can get reported..:-(

best regards

Starlionblue

Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:37 am

Quoting SATX (Reply 31):
Edited to add: My scary post detailing how to circumnavigate nonexistent airline security regulations was brought to you in response to a couple American wimps from How Are Cockpit Visits Arranged?

Lol! Yeah I even got an angry email from a forum member when I suggested that explaining how to get on the cockpit did not deserve censorship. Since that thread is locked, I will say this:
- If it's classified, it might remain so. But "information wants to be free".
- If it's already in the public domain, not posting it on a forum will not change much for the person wanting to acquire the information.

UA772IAD

Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:57 am

Wow, that's pretty cool!
Last January I was flying RNO-DEN-IAD. At DEN, we went from where TED is (A) to UA's B terminal. While in A, I was completely mesmorized by LH's A346, so much that I had to run a bit to catch up with the rest of my family. It was the first time I had seen one in person.

We were early to arrive at the gate, and saw the captain and FO come out of the jetway. They had flown the 752 from SAN, and were continuing on to IAD. Since we were the only ones at the gate, and the Red Carpet club had closed for the evening, we decided to spend the 1 1/2 hour layover there. The captain said Hi to us, and engagued in a conversation with my family for about 30 minutes. He was DEN based and since I had applied to a college in Denver, we talked about that and aviation for a bit. Unfortunately though, my mom embarassed my by saying, "my son wants to know if he can see the inside of that big airbus A340 something", she didn't know that UA doesn't operate those, so I was a bit embarrassed. He invited us to visit the cockpit after boarding.

After we got seated in the back of First class, he was inviting myself, these cute teenage girls from Baltimore, and another woman up to help him set the flight up. He had them put in headings, and stuff in the flight computer and had one of them announce the adjusted departure time. I got to welcome everyone on board, and gave the weather and flight information. This was actually easy since I fly UA so much, I infused my own style with the standard UA purser announcement. It was fun, and everyone, including the FA's thought I was a UA flight attendent. The only bad part of the flight was that the girls, all friends coming from Cancun, told the purser they saw the same movie scheduled to be played on their previous flight. He let them pick the movie, and of course they chose the Mandy Moore chick flick. That's okay, Madeline Albright was seated 2 rows ahead of me (she was coming from ASE), and we got to chat for a bit at the baggage carrosel at Dulles.

Best flight ever! Look out for Captain Gardner if your ever on a UA 757 or 767!

nosedive

Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:05 am

Quoting FLYiCRJ (Reply 10):
You are only allowed before take-off

And after landing  Wink

yowza

Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:26 pm

I've actually been into many cockpits although mainly when I was a kid. Crews on TG, EK, KL, UL and a few others were kind enough to let me up.

In fact it was cockpit visit on TG that got me interested in aviation to begin with. In the early/mid 90s TG used to give kids on planes mini flight log books which had a 744 on the cover. The idea being you fill out the origin/destination/distance/flying time/aircraft type and then you (the kid) would be invited up to the cockpit at some stage where the captain would enter the aircraft reg in the 2nd last column and sign the last column. And each time they would give you a mini pair of wings to clip onto your shirt.

aaah, good childhood memories.

YOWza

satx

Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:15 pm

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 34):
Yeah I even got an angry email from a forum member when I suggested that explaining how to get on the cockpit did not deserve censorship.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Even though I'm a fairly conventional and even timid guy who rarely does anything unexpected out in public these days, I had few if any qualms about asking for access to the cockpit. Everything just happened to fall into place one day when I arrived in ORD prior to a connection to LHR. I had a couple hours to kill and as I was walking off the plane I asked the pilot if I could get a chance to see the cockpit. He was busy getting his things together but he said he would be glad to let me up front if I could just wait a couple minutes. True to his word he showed me right in and even took my photo. I doubt most pilots get many such requests from adults traveling by themselves, but this one didn't seem to mind. After seeing my luck with the MD80 I wanted to try it with the following 777-200 flight as well, but by the time my redeye arrived in London all I wanted to do was get to my hotel and sleep. I haven't tried to reach any cockpits since then, but maybe someday. Thanks to A.net I already know what most of them look like anyway.  Smile

Adam T.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:16 pm

I went up into the cockpit of an Air New Zealand Saab 340 on a domestic flight in NZ a few months ago. My friend got to jumpseat for the landing in Wellington.

Adam

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos