Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FlewGSW
Topic Author

AA To Serve STL-HOU Again

Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:45 pm

Announcement will be made on Friday, August 5.
Will be loaded into AA.com on August 7.
Flights to start on or about October 31.

Flights will be with ERJs. Don't know if they will be Eagle or Connection.

Actually AA use to service STL-IAH two years ago. You'll have to go back to the days of TWA when they flew STL-HOU.

MAH4546

RE: AA To Serve STL-HOU Again

Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:46 pm

Three daily AmericanConnection flights.

Joining LAX-SAT as yet another part of their "let's make Texas politicians happy" plan to expand their route network from Texas and keep the Wright Ammendment in tact. More routes like these are coming, like Eagle flights from AUS and SAT to Miami.

[Edited 2005-08-05 05:48:15]
a.

ckfred

Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:01 pm

I'm not sure how much traffic there is between IAH and STL or between LAX and SAT, but adding flights from MIA to AUS and SAT does make sense.

For anyone wanting to travel to the Caribbean or South America from the Hill Country, it now requires a connection at DFW and at MIA. So, the new flights do have the potential for doing very well.

stl1326

Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:01 pm

Awesome. I have been waiting for them to reinstate this route, but I would have thought they would have served IAH. I'm guessing thier trying to compete with Southwest. I have been wondering where the lost frequencies to EWR were going to and now I know. I hope this route does well. Does anybody know how many daily flights AA/Connection will have this fall? Something around 215?

MAH4546

Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:25 pm

Quoting Stl1326 (Reply 3):
Does anybody know how many daily flights AA/Connection will have this fall? Something around 215?

Including the new HOU flights, 217 on weekdays, 144 on Saturdays.
a.

LoneStarMike

Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:08 pm

If AA's "let's make Texas politicians happy" plan is to expand their route network from Texas with American Connection and/or American Eagle service to keep the Wright Ammendment intact, why are we not seeing this same type of service out of DAL already?

The Wright Amendment doesn't prohibit AA from offering regional jet service out of Love Field and AA has three gates that they're not using now.

LoneStarMike

FlewGSW
Topic Author

Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:09 pm

AA and AE are not looking to do anything with DAL prior to next year when congress might bring Wright up again.

For now, about the biggest bang is an idea to place a billboard up next to the traffic entrance into DAL about what dropping Wright will do to the local economy.

WOW! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I've also run into two friends that have experienced first hand WN folks at events, even a bar, handing out some sort of "met the WN girls" and sign this repeal of Wright too. I think you might hear in the news soon from the keep Wright side a fuss about this tactic.

BHMNONREV

Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:26 am

I'm guessing thier trying to compete with Southwest.

I personally don't think so. They can't compete with WN on STL-HOU in terms of frequency. I believe this is primarily to serve the AA F/F base in STL who would have otherwise had to travel thru DFW to get to either HOU or IAH. It was just a matter of time before this route came to fruition, since Houston is the largest market not served non-stop by AA...

LambertMan

Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:36 am

Awesome. I have been waiting for them to reinstate this route, but I would have thought they would have served IAH. I'm guessing thier trying to compete with Southwest. I have been wondering where the lost frequencies to EWR were going to and now I know.

St. Louis has alot of major business ties into Houston (especially in Illinois side of the area), and the origin and destination traffic shows it. I think there is something like 800 passengers a day on this route. No doubt it will return with the $50 price hike that all of the other WN-competitive routes have had (OKC, TUL, LIT). It should be an easy score for AA.

Most of the "lost flights" in the past month or so were due to the lack of aircraft available to the St. Louis operation. It wasn't that they were doing bad (some of them may have, I don't know), but chances are the a/c wasn't there to do the route.

FlewGSW
Topic Author

Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:56 am

Finally, it's announced!

Wednesday, August 10, 2005
AA to Resume Service Between STL and IAH
American Airlines today announced that AmericanConnection partners Chautauqua Airlines, Inc. and Trans States Airlines Inc. will jointly resume flights between St. Louis and Houston. The service, which will restart on October 30, 2005, will connect St. Louis Lambert International Airport with Houston's William P. Hobby Airport.
"We have long wanted to resume service between St. Louis and Houston and we are pleased to be doing so now," said Loretta Kuss, American's Regional Manager - Passenger Sales. "These new flights are convenient for the business traveler who needs to leave St. Louis and arrive in Houston in time to attend afternoon meetings or to get a good night's sleep before launching into meetings the next day.
"Returning passengers can leave Houston either very early in the morning or at lunchtime to fly back to St. Louis in order to complete a full day's work in the office or get home in time for an early dinner," Kuss added. "We also believe that our St. Louis and Houston customers will appreciate Hobby airport's close proximity to downtown Houston, the Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center, and Galveston."
Additionally, American Eagle will offer a new daily round-trip nonstop flight between St. Louis and Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and a new daily round-trip nonstop flight between St. Louis and Des Moines, Iowa, starting Oct. 1, 2005. These flights will complement existing service offered by AmericanConnection carrier Trans States Airlines, Inc.
The new flights, flown by American Eagle, will feature 50-seat Embraer Regional Jets. All other flights are flown by AmericanConnection carrier Trans States Airlines Inc. featuring 50-seat Embraer Regional Jets and 30-seat British Aerospace Jetstream 41s.

STT757

Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:30 am

Quoting FlewGSW (Reply 9):
AA to Resume Service Between STL and IAH
American Airlines today announced that AmericanConnection partners Chautauqua Airlines, Inc. and Trans States Airlines Inc. will jointly resume flights between St. Louis and Houston. The service, which will restart on October 30, 2005, will connect St. Louis Lambert International Airport with Houston's William P. Hobby Airport

Which one is it IAH or HOU, the press release folks seem to be confused.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

aatripleseven

Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:34 am

Hopefully AUS-MIA won't come at the expense of AUS-RDU.

AATripleseven

atrude777

Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:10 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 10):
Which one is it IAH or HOU, the press release folks seem to be confused.

HOU

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos