Midair Collision In Renton

Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:40 am

http://www.komotv.com/stories/38383.htm

Sad news out of SEA this morning.

2 Killed When Planes Collide In Midair

August 5, 2005

By KOMO Staff & News Services

KOMO 4 NEWS
A midair collision Thursday between two light planes sent one plane crashing through the roof of an empty school, killing the two people aboard.

RENTON - Two one-engine planes collided high over a busy freeway this south Seattle suburb, one crashed into an empty grade school and both people aboard died, officials said.

The second aircraft, a float plane, made an emergency landing Thursday beside a runway at nearby Renton Municipal Airport. All five people aboard scooted to safety after the deHavilland Beaver DHC-2 skipped across the grass for about 150 yards, bounced two or three times and skidded to a halt.

The Cessna 152 smashed through the roof of Kennydale Elementary School, a two-story building that was closed for remodeling after the end of the school year in June.

GulfstreamGuy airplane 
"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane. " -Jimmy Buffett

ScarletHarlot

Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:59 am

The thread title is misleading. This occurred at Renton Municipal, not Seattle-Tacoma. It certainly is a sad occurrence, but would be a much bigger deal if it happened at Sea-Tac.
But that was when I ruled the world

skywatch

Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:04 am

Sad that this happened. It is amazing that the Beaver made it back safely. Thanks GulfstreamGuy for letting us know.

---Skywatch
------Forever Watchin' The Sky------

BCAInfoSys

Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:21 am

I'm less then a mile from RNT. The accident occurred over 405, which I can see from my office window. Kind of crazy.

Steve
Militant Agnostic - I don't know and you don't either.

daedaeg

Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:41 am

Very sad indeed. I hear both guys who perished were engineers here at Boeing. One of them was Kevin Dukes, flight test engineer in Seattle. They'll definitely be in my prayers.
Everyday you're alive is a good day.

aviationwiz

Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:43 am

Very sad indeed, and imagine if it would have been in the middle of the school year...

Change the title though, when I saw "Midair Collision In SEA" I jumped for a second until I saw what it was. It should really be something like "Midair GA collision in Seattle."
Proudly from the Home of the Red Tail.

Goldenshield

Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:07 am

Could it possibly be one of Kenmore Air Harbor's planes?
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

AsstChiefMark

Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:29 am

Those Beavers are tough old planes. There's one here at Skydive Twin Cities that I've seen do some amazing things. It bounces like a ball on the grass strip, dives in the air like a kestrel, and can go from 12000 ft AGL to land in three minutes.

That pilot on the KOMO-TV video is truly a humble man. God bless him for being a great pilot and God bless the families of the victims.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

roseflyer

RE: Midair Collision In Renton

Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:58 am

Wow that is unfortunate. Renton is a difficult airport at times because of all of the floatplanes that tend to be unpredictable. I flew in there a lot over the last couple of months. The controllers there are extremely kind and friendly. Though they do have difficulty dealing with the float planes sometimes since they are often out of view of the tower. I have come far too close to them before in that airspace, especially when in South Flow. The edge of the runway is right on the water.

I am curious as to the cause of it. It is quite possible that one had the traffic in sight and then lost it, or that things could have been very busy with planes in the pattern and overworked controllers (and Renton along with BFI gets busy in the late afternoons) and there has been crazy stuff going on since the Blue Angels are in town, which confuses things up even more. Hopefully this will be a wakeup for people to be more careful, but it is unfortunate that people lost their lives. The airspace in Seattle is extremely difficult. There are so many airports everywhere, and many of them are within (or at least below) the Class Bravo airspace of SEA. Flying out of BFI, and RNT is difficult because of all of the airspace restrictions compounded with the high amount of traffic from both land based airports and the float planes all over Lake Washington.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

VirginFlyer

RE: Midair Collision In Renton

Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:32 am

There is an earlier thread posted on this, please use it:
Mid-Air In Renton - Cessna 152 Crashed, DHC-2 Survived (by Stretch Aug 5 2005 in Civil Aviation)

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos